Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

No male bias my rear end. I've told them about the ill-fitting gloves every semester, and every semester they say they're going to order some larger ones...

Pretty much every guy in my graduating class was treated like a prince. The two biggest things I can remember was at the very beginning of the program we had a gentleman not only come in an hour late to clinical on his first day, but also forgot to bring in his required paperwork. What happened? He was allowed to stay. Same gentlemen plus another guy who had broken their leg and were in casts for pretty much an entire semester. They were allowed to do bullshit assignments for their clinical makeups. Other females in the class got much worse for far less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Etrips posted:

Pretty much every guy in my graduating class was treated like a prince. The two biggest things I can remember was at the very beginning of the program we had a gentleman not only come in an hour late to clinical on his first day, but also forgot to bring in his required paperwork. What happened? He was allowed to stay. Same gentlemen plus another guy who had broken their leg and were in casts for pretty much an entire semester. They were allowed to do bullshit assignments for their clinical makeups. Other females in the class got much worse for far less.

Or like hired labor.

Got this one today,"Can you grab a box from Mary and bring it into the classroom?"
Go to Mary, "This is too big for me to move(middle aged lady), take it over there, thanks."
I swear I am just being nice but every CPR it's like "Where's White Chocolate?"

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

White Chocolate posted:

Or like hired labor.

Got this one today,"Can you grab a box from Mary and bring it into the classroom?"
Go to Mary, "This is too big for me to move(middle aged lady), take it over there, thanks."
I swear I am just being nice but every code it's like "Where's White Chocolate?"

:lol: You had to do a favor for someone? OH NO! Male bias!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Koivunen posted:

:lol: You had to do a favor for someone? OH NO! Male bias!

More like, muscle bias.
"He looks like he can lift."

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

Or like hired labor.

I swear I am just being nice but every CPR it's like "Where's White Chocolate?"

You sound like a basic bitch btw

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The gloves were skintight once I got them on, but while donning them they were flopping. My bad.

Guy showed up an hour late to clinical once, because they changed the start time to be an hour earlier the day of while he was in a test and didn't see the email.

He was sent home with an unsatisfactory, but not before being accused of being a:

Drunk
Partier
Moron
Possibly illiterate immigrant

All said within 10 feet of the rest of the group, and within earshot of the (very busy) nurses station on the med surge floor.

This guy is a naturalized US citizen with a Master's Degree in architectural engineering and a well regarded personal trainer. Not to mention he's acing the class.

Meanwhile a middle aged woman missed(!) a day of clinical and was late to another because she couldn't arrange babysitting.

She got to make up the Clinical with another group and got a "warning".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

More like, muscle bias.
"He looks like he can lift."
You don't do things according to skills and abilities on your unit? I can lift decently well, so of course I help out there. Nothing wrong with that, just like when I know someone is a wizard at IVs I'll ask her to try and get one. And I can't braid hair to save my life, so when I've got a chronic patient who has been in for a while and could use that kind of care, I'll see if they can do that for me while I do something else for them. Or hell, directly related to male bias: very occasionally some people don't want me bathing them, so another nurse has to do that for/with me. Oh no!

What on earth is wrong with that? Oh no I had to lift things because I'm better at it than some people.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Annath posted:

The gloves were skintight once I got them on, but while donning them they were flopping. My bad.

Guy showed up an hour late to clinical once, because they changed the start time to be an hour earlier the day of while he was in a test and didn't see the email.

He was sent home with an unsatisfactory, but not before being accused of being a:

Drunk
Partier
Moron
Possibly illiterate immigrant

All said within 10 feet of the rest of the group, and within earshot of the (very busy) nurses station on the med surge floor.

This guy is a naturalized US citizen with a Master's Degree in architectural engineering and a well regarded personal trainer. Not to mention he's acing the class.

Meanwhile a middle aged woman missed(!) a day of clinical and was late to another because she couldn't arrange babysitting.

She got to make up the Clinical with another group and got a "warning".

I was one of three guys in my program, and we didn't get any kind of "male bias." One of the guys showed up late to the first day of clinical in our second semester, but he hadn't done any of the pre-work (coming to the hospital and picking a patient, working up lab values and meds, etc). He was immediately put on suspension. When he failed the semester, the school didn't work to place in again like they did with the other students that fail; they told him he was done.

Of course, at work I get asked to help a lot with transferring patients and stuff, which is totally fine. It makes up for all the times I have a female patient who won't let me help clean her up or insert a foley catheter!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Ravenfood posted:

You don't do things according to skills and abilities on your unit? I can lift decently well, so of course I help out there. Nothing wrong with that, just like when I know someone is a wizard at IVs I'll ask her to try and get one. And I can't braid hair to save my life, so when I've got a chronic patient who has been in for a while and could use that kind of care, I'll see if they can do that for me while I do something else for them. Or hell, directly related to male bias: very occasionally some people don't want me bathing them, so another nurse has to do that for/with me. Oh no!

What on earth is wrong with that? Oh no I had to lift things because I'm better at it than some people.

Out of the 6 people in my clinical group I am an EMT and two of the others are working CNAs, the other three have no medical experience so we help them with everything. Not just lifting, but I want to be known for being smart(which is how I am in the clinical group) not just for being able to move the 450+ lb patients. Especially when I have to give a bed bath to a patient, I ask for help and am usually helping one of the other student nurses doing their thing.

Also Nursing school is so very different from Paramedic school.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Iv catheter embolism? I immediately went OMG. I never thought that was a problem until nursing school taught me 'all the problems that can happen to someone'(TM).

What did nursing school teach you that was a slightly unwelcome surprise?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Yarbald posted:

I was one of three guys in my program, and we didn't get any kind of "male bias." One of the guys showed up late to the first day of clinical in our second semester, but he hadn't done any of the pre-work (coming to the hospital and picking a patient, working up lab values and meds, etc). He was immediately put on suspension. When he failed the semester, the school didn't work to place in again like they did with the other students that fail; they told him he was done.

Of course, at work I get asked to help a lot with transferring patients and stuff, which is totally fine. It makes up for all the times I have a female patient who won't let me help clean her up or insert a foley catheter!

This is exactly how I look at it too. I end up having pt's all the time that'll barely let me in the room, so if I gotta wipe an extra rear end or give an extra boost or help with an unruly patient, so be it.

Also, as far as male bias, so far through school, I feel like I've been getting the better end of the stick for the most part, and I'm assuming its because I'm male. I don't necessarily think its fair, but I'm not exactly going to bitch if someone advocates on my behalf or something.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

awkward_turtle posted:

Yeah, lacking an ACL makes it significantly more likely you'll tear a meniscus if you do something funny or twist wrong, and funny in this case is a pretty broad range of activities. Ice it a lot and keep trying to work through a full range of motion. Even without having insurance yet it may also be worth it to you to go ahead and pay to see an orthopedic surgeon though, and get started with a treatment timeline. He'll be much better able to tell you your options as well.

I had the MRI read after posting, apparently I also have a meniscal tear of ambiguous depth that they're going to shave down. I learned that some of the meniscus is indeed vascular and if a tear is deep enough to get into it, one's recovery timeline increases by six weeks. Surgery is two weeks out, ROM is excellent right now. Thanks :)

Also, fortunately, the nurse manager talked it out with HR. They delayed my start date to accommodate surgery and some rehab. Yey.

quote:

Sterile technique is incredibly uncomfortable at first, as it requires constant vigilance -- the moment you start to get comfortable with what you're doing and start to move into auto-pilot mode is the moment that you start endangering your patient.

Still, Annath, if you find yourself in a situation where you've broken sterility in a check-off, being aware of the mistake, acknowledging it, and asking to start over or continue means a lot to instructors. I think they'd rather that than someone who is oblivious and/or hoping that someone didn't notice, you know?

Anyone know of a good resource for practicing SATA questions in particular?

Madame Psychosis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 28, 2014

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I was terrified of sterile procedures at first but then I realized that everything outside the dressing tray is LLLAAAAVA. Your patient's skin? LAVA. Outside of the syringe packet? LAVA. It's also helpful to clench a sterile fist if you're not doing anything with it to keep your hand from hitting LAAAAAVA by reflex (my bad habit is nudging my glasses- I had to train myself to do it with my elbow).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Meeting with faculty went ok. I got a bit emotional, much to my embarrassment, but gently caress it this is my future on the line.

So I got a guarantee that I wouldn't be asked to check off until the proper supplies were available.

On the other hand, I will not be doing a wet to dry wound dressing change. Instead I'll be given one of the other 3 options.

I'm a bit annoyed because I spent so much time practicing dressing change but on the other hand trach care, CVAD dressing change, and foley insertion are all easier sterile procedures.

Personally I'm hoping for trach care. It's by far the easiest.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Breaking sterile field is not a big deal as long as you acknowledge that you've done it and start over. If you're a student/new nurse, bring an extra kit and packet of gloves next time you insert a Foley or do a central line dressing change. Just having the extra supplies near by will help your confidence, because you'll know it'll just take a second to switch out gear if you accidentally scratch your nose or a bead of sweat drips down your forehead and lands in your lubricant.

Nurses are human and we screw up and break field all the time. What's important is that you're vigilant enough to realize that the field has been broken and willing to take the extra time to start over and do it right. Hopefully your instructors are decent enough to realize that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Breaking sterile field is not a big deal as long as you acknowledge that you've done it and start over. If you're a student/new nurse, bring an extra kit and packet of gloves next time you insert a Foley or do a central line dressing change. Just having the extra supplies near by will help your confidence, because you'll know it'll just take a second to switch out gear if you accidentally scratch your nose or a bead of sweat drips down your forehead and lands in your lubricant.

Nurses are human and we screw up and break field all the time. What's important is that you're vigilant enough to realize that the field has been broken and willing to take the extra time to start over and do it right. Hopefully your instructors are decent enough to realize that.

Yeah, they're really cool about letting you pass if you catch yourself. My issue was that the gloves I was given didn't quite fit correctly. My hands are big and thick, but my fingers are comparatively short, so there was loose glove at the tip of each finger. That's what brushed the bin, and since I didn't feel it I didn't catch myself.

I'm actually not scared of sterile techniques at all. Its more the context of the situation that has me worried. Due to family stuff, I really, really need to stay on my current graduation timeline, take the NCLEX next summer, have a job lined up, and be moved out of my parent's house by next fall. Any delay in that means there is a decent chance I'll become temporarily homeless.
Not to mention that my financial aid is contingent upon successful completion of my courses. Grade-wise that's not an issue, but a failed check off requiring me to repeat this class would deny me future aid, meaning I'd either have to put things on hold indefinitely while I save up money, or take out a bunch of loans.
Then there's the fact that, frankly its embarrassing. I get awesome grades, I'm on the student government, I have a ton of friends. Getting held back means I lose out on all of that.

So I'm feeling a bit of pressure in a situation that the faculty is trying to make as laid back as possible :P

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Breaking sterile field is not a big deal as long as you acknowledge that you've done it and start over.

This is right on, and AORN refers to it as "surgical conscience."

I work OR now. A few days ago one of the scrubs brings in a square, clear plastic container she found in the trash in her room; it was cracked. She needs me to talk it over with my scrub, who opened and setup her case, to see if she recalls WITH CERTAINTY that whoever opened that package checked it for cracks before opening onto the table. My scrub is "pretty sure" it wasn't cracked, but she didn't squeeze and wobble it to check it for cracks.

If it might have been cracked, it might have been contaminated, and since it wasn't noticed in a timely way, the entire setup is trashed. Probably only $22,000.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Annath posted:

Yeah, they're really cool about letting you pass if you catch yourself. My issue was that the gloves I was given didn't quite fit correctly. My hands are big and thick, but my fingers are comparatively short, so there was loose glove at the tip of each finger. That's what brushed the bin, and since I didn't feel it I didn't catch myself.
Watch your hands while you're doing anything sterile. There's really no reason for your attention to be elsewhere, especially in a skills check-off. And when you do need to look elsewhere, bring your sterile hands up and hold them in front of you so you don't inadvertently touch something.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Today was the first day we passed meds in lab. Is it wrong to think it was pretty easy? They put the fear of god into us during the lecture about how you must concentrate 192847% or else you will make a med error and your patient will die.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Today was the first day we passed meds in lab. Is it wrong to think it was pretty easy? They put the fear of god into us during the lecture about how you must concentrate 192847% or else you will make a med error and your patient will die.

Don't forget to wear your medication administration vest because you're loving retarded. These actually exist. No I've never seen one but I've read journal articles about them and I think a traveler once told me they were in a place that used them.

Apparently you put on some neon vest when you're giving medications so people know not to talk to you, because you're an idiot and you might accidentally inject the medications into the patients anus instead of IV if you hear a noise.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 2, 2014

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Yeah the fluro vests are a thing in acute Australian hospitals. And until real medication administration, I'm fairly certain I never, not once, looked at the expiration date on a packet of aspirin.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Bum the Sad posted:

Don't forget to wear your medication administration vest because you're loving retarded. These actually exist. No I've never seen one but I've read journal articles about them and I think a traveler once told me they were in a place that used them.

Apparently you put on some neon vest when you're giving medications so people know not to talk to you, because you're an idiot and you might accidentally inject the medications into the patients anus instead of IV if you hear a noise.

Holy poo poo no fukken way

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

Holy poo poo no fukken way

I am totally not making GBS threads you.

Edit:

Yes slave your way through your BSN so this could one day be you! A respected health care professional!

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 3, 2014

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I am totally not making GBS threads you.

Edit:

Yes slave your way through your BSN so this could one day be you! A respected health care professional!

Hahaha what the poo poo

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Yarbald posted:

Hahaha what the poo poo

Yeah I know It's loving insulting and ridiculous.

Edit: hahahaha you know what gently caress it! if I was a floor nurse I would welcome those. I was reading the articles those photos were from and apparently if a patient tries to talk to you, you just point to the vest and ignore them.

From the UK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8728093/Nurses-wear-do-not-disturb-signs-during-drug-rounds.html

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah, we discussed those as well in lecture.

We are competent and valued interdisciplinary team members!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Yeah, we discussed those as well in lecture.

We are competent and valued interdisciplinary team members!
Did your instructors champion them or find them insulting like a sane professional?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What the gently caress. That's just insulting.

edit: Do they have to do this every time they want to titrate a drip or what? Or just at the main med admin times?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 3, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
If I was a bedside nurse at a facility that introduced those I would just refuse to take it off. gently caress you don't talk to me.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Edit: hahahaha you know what gently caress it! if I was a floor nurse I would welcome those. I was reading the articles those photos were from and apparently if a patient tries to talk to you, you just point to the vest and ignore them.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Did your instructors champion them or find them insulting like a sane professional?

"It's nice, because you can just say 'Give me a minute, I'm preparing meds' and everyone knows the score."

Besides, they haven't been bedside nurses in ages. They're educators, after all.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

If I was a bedside nurse at a facility that introduced those I would just refuse to take it off. gently caress you don't talk to me.

It'd be kind of nice to wear while charting so family can't bother me.

"I'm calculating drip rates, please gently caress off"

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Given the vast numbers of visitors/hospital staff that walk into our ICU and are completely oblivious to the giant 'please proceed to the next nursing station' and 'press green exit button on wall, do NOT push door open' signs, nobody is going to pay any attention to those stupid vests if they want something anyway.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Jamais Vu Again posted:

We had a bad Med error on our floor (inpt. Psych) when the nighttime Med nurse mixed up two similar names and the fellow agreed he was the other guy (hello, psychosis) and got enough methadone to put him in the ICU for a few days. The nurse who made the error is now hired on full time and I think she must be dyslexic because she made a similar Med error (by names, not effect) last week. YIKES!

I've caught myself making two Med errors. Once I gave 2 2mg pills thinking they were 2 1mg pills and realizing the mistake the next day. Once I gave a whole tablet instead of half a tablet. Neither had serious outcomes but it made me very aware that it is easy to make errors even when you are paying close attention. A more experienced nurse told me not to make an occurrence report of my own error, but I really believe in transparency and have a hgreat manager.

The vests are stupid, but just because passing meds is fairly simple doesn't mean its easy to be error free.

fanpantstic fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 4, 2014

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
What a loving joke, lmao @ anybody who unironically wears one of those.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

about two years ago they were used alot, now they seem to have faded away

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I feel that now with five days till my presentation and three weeks for my dissertation to be handed in, putting work off constantly wasn't a good idea.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So I did my recheck. It went pretty well. Passed, learned that the checklist we were given last semester to practice with was out of date, but they didn't dock points.

Of course, on Thursday I found out I was given an Unsatisfactory lab day a week ago, but no one thought to tell me until my advisor asked to meet with me.

Which is interesting because

A. I have literally no idea what I could have gotten the unsat for. It was a lab day, I was there and in uniform, there isn't much else going on.

And

B. Unsatisfactory marks are supposed to be documented. Like the instructor is supposed to meet with you privately, discuss the issue/what went wrong, document it, both parties sign the documentation, and it goes in the student's record.

None of that happened. Hell, the instructor that supposedly gave me the unsat hasn't contacted/spoken to me since that lab day, and she didn't say anything was wrong then.

My advisor told me to arrange a meeting with that instructor before meeting with her (my advisor).

Of course, the instructor hasn't replied to my emails attempting to set up a meeting, and is in clinical Monday and Tuesday, so now my advisor is saying forget meeting with her, you'll meet with myself and the Department chair instead to "discuss the Unsatisfactory mark and your progress this semester".

Which has me all freaked out. I have a 97% in the class. Aside from the one skills check, I've passed everything flawlessly. I got a 100% on both my Drug Dosage and Lab Medication tests.

I don't know what is going on but it's got me stressing out when I should be studying for our first unit test on Thursday...

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Found out this morning I am officially a licensed RN! Now the hard part to find a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
My clinical group went from 10 people to 8 and now 5-6 depending on the day. However no one besides me is pleased with my gruff tough clinical preceptor/advisor so yeah.