Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

No Gravitas posted:

Full frame Pentax

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=645D&gclid=COKWg9_wtcACFa_m7AodkCEA7Q&N=4291284238+4259332394

Pentax merely decided that full frame is for chumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Full frame sensors would have been a big deal back before APS-C sensors got good now it really doesn't matter (unless you shoot Canon then whelp).

What's wrong with Canon APS-C? :ohdear:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It doesn't look like it's much bigger than the K-01, I'd say this will be the closest 'successor' we get to it. Really wish they'd put out another XS inexpensive small prime instead of the 18-55 kit for these things.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

grack posted:

Well, there's apparently a user-selectable AA filter, but from the description it sounds like a software solution.

It's not a software solution. It's most likely using the K-3's system which uses the shake reduction system to shake the sensor at a sub-pixel level. Effectively creating an anti-aliasing filter. You can set the the amount of anti-aliasing (how much the shake reduction shakes the sensor) in software.

whsa
Apr 24, 2008
Does anyone have experience of these two lenses:

Sigma APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon
Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S Nikon

Am I right in thinking the second one is just an update? It looks amazing but £2700 is a a bit rich for me, I can get the APO for £1400 used.

My other option is the Tamron 70-200 2.8 USD VC. I'm usually shooting portraits and landscapes but sports on the odd occasion.

Comments?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Haha. Yeah, sorry for the confusion. When I said film, I meant movies. :P

I don't currently own any cameras so I was looking at the 70D as a good all around camera to start me off. In a few years, I'll expand with more cameras.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

whsa posted:

Am I right in thinking the second one is just an update? It looks amazing but £2700 is a a bit rich for me, I can get the APO for £1400 used.

My other option is the Tamron 70-200 2.8 USD VC. I'm usually shooting portraits and landscapes but sports on the odd occasion.

Comments?

Lensrentals had some info on what changed--I vaguely recall there being some durability issues that might have been fixed. That said, I've rented the lens and it's a beast. I would not want to use it for portraits.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whsa posted:

Comments?

According to Roger @ Lens Rentals, the optical formula in both is exactly the same , and most of the construction is the same, although there was some improvements in that area with the new "Sports" version when he took them both apart. The main advantage you get with the sports version is all the customizing you can do with the USB dock - custom focus adjustment for different distances, programmable focus modes (speed priority / accuracy priority), programmable focal limiters, etc. There's a lot that can be done with this lens via the dock.

Edit: Agreed with the above - this lens is a LOT bigger than a 70-200/2.8. And a lot heavier.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's a zoom that goes to 300mm f/2.8. If you use it for portraits, all of your subjects will look terrified - plus you'll be far away, because even at 120mm and full-frame (I don't know what body you have, whsa) you're on the other side of a long room.

That lens should be awesome for sports, though. And birds. Shoot birds, and start lusting for even more reach.

whsa
Apr 24, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

It's a zoom that goes to 300mm f/2.8. If you use it for portraits, all of your subjects will look terrified - plus you'll be far away, because even at 120mm and full-frame (I don't know what body you have, whsa) you're on the other side of a long room.

That lens should be awesome for sports, though. And birds. Shoot birds, and start lusting for even more reach.

I have a D610. I should have mentioned that my wife uses the camera to shoot wildlife...that's the whole reason I'm looking to get longer reach than 200mm. Decent 400 and 500mm lenses are just not going to happen unfortunately.

I read a review where the guy tried it out and it looked lovely.

timrenzi574 posted:

all the customizing you can do with the USB dock

Yeah, this sounds interesting but it's not something I need to spend £1000 on.

powderific posted:

I would not want to use it for portraits.

I think this pointed me in the right direction...it's 3kg, the tamron is half that and plenty heavy.

Thanks for the advice!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whsa posted:

Yeah it's neat, but unless you make a living off sports photography where it's going to significantly increase your income (or you're really well heeled), it's a stretch to justify. It's definitely vastly different from a 70-200 2.8 though, we're talking 3.5 pound lens vs 7 pound lens.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm considering getting a fuji x100 (around $600 now) since I always wanted one. How well has it aged though? Should I hold out until x100s is cheaper?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

HolyDukeNukem posted:

It's not a software solution. It's most likely using the K-3's system which uses the shake reduction system to shake the sensor at a sub-pixel level. Effectively creating an anti-aliasing filter. You can set the the amount of anti-aliasing (how much the shake reduction shakes the sensor) in software.

That's actually kinda cool, but I guess the new features are down to "glowy lights" for the K-S1

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I actually kind of like the look though of it. The rumors are that Pentax are trying to produce a better/modern user interface. It looks like they tried to take the next step and try and produce a more modern looking camera as well. The big question for me is weather-sealing since this thing is replacing the K-50 I would hope that it has weather-sealing like that range has had for a while.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

teraflame posted:

I'm considering getting a fuji x100 (around $600 now) since I always wanted one. How well has it aged though? Should I hold out until x100s is cheaper?

Wait until the x100T is announced (rumors are starting to fly) and pick up an x100 for dirt cheap, or an x100s for cheap. Rumors are saying things like tilt screen, 24mp sensor, and better EVF - which don't really amount to a huge upgrade from the x100s unless this phantom sensor has amazingly better ISO performance or something.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I actually kind of like the look though of it. The rumors are that Pentax are trying to produce a better/modern user interface. It looks like they tried to take the next step and try and produce a more modern looking camera as well. The big question for me is weather-sealing since this thing is replacing the K-50 I would hope that it has weather-sealing like that range has had for a while.

Doesn't look like it's weather-sealed, otherwise I would think Ricoh/Pentax would have mentioned it in the press release and official specs

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2014/20140828_005754.html

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pentax keeps alternating (or maybe 1 in 3) with how interesting their new announcements / rumours are to me. K-3? Cool! K-50 / K-500? Hey, not bad, I'm glad to see they've got a decent contender at the entry level, and the K-50 keeps the K-30's emphasis on weathersealing. K-01? Q-10? Meh, whatever.

This newest thing , the K-S1, looks like the replacement for the K-01 - so no weathersealing, and the size (small) aimed towards

PentaxForums posted:

two key audiences: users who want a small DSLR, and photographers interested in fashionable cameras.
neither of which apply to me. But, I am happy to see Ricoh / Pentax continuing to push new products into the market, the more people using K-mount lenses the higher the probability I'll be able to get a lens or body I really want when the Urge To Spend really kicks in again.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

grack posted:

Doesn't look like it's weather-sealed, otherwise I would think Ricoh/Pentax would have mentioned it in the press release and official specs

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2014/20140828_005754.html

Yea I noticed that right after I posted.

ExecuDork posted:

Pentax keeps alternating (or maybe 1 in 3) with how interesting their new announcements / rumours are to me. K-3? Cool! K-50 / K-500? Hey, not bad, I'm glad to see they've got a decent contender at the entry level, and the K-50 keeps the K-30's emphasis on weathersealing. K-01? Q-10? Meh, whatever.

This newest thing , the K-S1, looks like the replacement for the K-01 - so no weathersealing, and the size (small) aimed towards

neither of which apply to me. But, I am happy to see Ricoh / Pentax continuing to push new products into the market, the more people using K-mount lenses the higher the probability I'll be able to get a lens or body I really want when the Urge To Spend really kicks in again.

That's pretty much how I've been feeling. Hope the next flagship DSLR they release is going to be pretty awesome. Pentax seems to like to trickle the features down to their lower end cameras, so the exciting features really only show up on the flagship announcements.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

teraflame posted:

I have an x100. I have an early sn (13a) and live in fear of sticky aperture blades. Look into that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

whsa posted:

I have a D610. I should have mentioned that my wife uses the camera to shoot wildlife...that's the whole reason I'm looking to get longer reach than 200mm. Decent 400 and 500mm lenses are just not going to happen unfortunately.

I read a review where the guy tried it out and it looked lovely.

I think this pointed me in the right direction...it's 3kg, the tamron is half that and plenty heavy.

Thanks for the advice!

They're not identical. I have the older, cheaper one, for canon, and it's great. But the new one is sharper, measurably. Some new materials/coatings for the same lens design.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why are all the Tamron 150-600s going for a couple hundred bucks above the retail price on Ebay? Is the backorder time for a new one supposed to be really long?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

Why are all the Tamron 150-600s going for a couple hundred bucks above the retail price on Ebay? Is the backorder time for a new one supposed to be really long?

Yeah it's still back ordered for weeks, so people are taking advantage. All the 3rd party sellers on amazon have it listed available but at 1500$

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I snagged one on Amazon for 1100 about two weeks ago from some camera store that only had one in stock. After that the next lowest price was like 1500. So check it every once and awhile.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I ordered mine from B&H in June and I'm still waiting.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Sigma just announced a 150-600mm f5-6.3 OS Sport lens. Supposedly it will be higher quality glass than the Tamron and will be weather sealed. Probably a little more expensive than the Tammy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sigma just announced a 150-600mm f5-6.3 OS Sport lens. Supposedly it will be higher quality glass than the Tamron and will be weather sealed. Probably a little more expensive than the Tammy.

That's a hell of a reach but f/6.3? Woof.

I don't know if I'd want that trade-off. I mean, I know you're not gonna get a 600mm f/2.8 for less than $crazy, but that seems like overkill length for a really slow aperture.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Have you seen the reviews of the Tamron? Its wildly popular and backordered out to the heat death of the universe. The 6.3 is slow but its the tradeoff to get it to the price point and weight to make it attractive to all us poor birders without trust funds. What's crazy here is that Sigma's press release says that this lens is optimized for compatabilty with their new line of teleconverters which I don't even know what the gently caress.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, it's not really competing with the super expensive fast lenses, it's competing with a 70-300 with a teleconverter.

Also I hope they can release it in A mount sooner than Tamron has been able to.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Have you seen the reviews of the Tamron? Its wildly popular and backordered out to the heat death of the universe. The 6.3 is slow but its the tradeoff to get it to the price point and weight to make it attractive to all us poor birders without trust funds. What's crazy here is that Sigma's press release says that this lens is optimized for compatabilty with their new line of teleconverters which I don't even know what the gently caress.

1200 mm f8 and be way over there.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SD Cards are gear, right? Right. There's a 64GB Samsung UHS-1 (older design, same specs) on AmazonUK for ~£21.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, it's not really competing with the super expensive fast lenses, it's competing with a 70-300 with a teleconverter.

aaahh OK I hadn't thought of it that way. My bad then

Shellman posted:

1200 mm f8 and be way over there.

lol

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Elliotw2 posted:

If they can make it sharper at 600 than the tamron, the aperture will stop no one from buying it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

If they can make it sharper at 600 than the tamron, the aperture will stop no one from buying it.

Heavy bugger though - only a lb and change lighter than the 120-300/2.8

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
My Tamron 17-50 2.8 died today in the middle of my trip. Something something our boat captain rammed a freighter and poo poo got smashed.

So Is the 17-50 non-VC still the best option or has Tamron improved the VC model? I think I remember reading about an update to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS is a little better.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DJExile posted:

I don't know if I'd want that trade-off. I mean, I know you're not gonna get a 600mm f/2.8 for less than $crazy, but that seems like overkill length for a really slow aperture.

You also have to factor in the cost of a team of Sherpas if you want to haul a 600/2.8 anywhere.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

You also have to factor in the cost of a team of Sherpas if you want to haul a 600/2.8 anywhere.

It's only a third of a stop slower than 5.6 anyway, and people buy 400/5.6 lenses by the truckload. So I don't see the big deal - this and the tamron are a way for normal consumers to go that much longer

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

My Tamron 17-50 2.8 died today in the middle of my trip. Something something our boat captain rammed a freighter and poo poo got smashed.

So Is the 17-50 non-VC still the best option or has Tamron improved the VC model? I think I remember reading about an update to it.

Wtf are you on a greenpeace boat?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Wtf are you on a greenpeace boat?

Captain got us out of the harbour, then came on the deck to show us where we'd be going on a map. We all had our backs turned until we heard the other cargo ship honking. Honk honk, 8 seconds later we collided.

Result:

I just wanted to fish and take some bird photos :(

Not shown: how utterly the prow got smashed, the sweet Norwegian Navy frigate that came to help, or their hilarious crew who we bantered with despite the boat needing 5 water pumps to stop it from sinking.

I'll have a look at the 17-50 sigma. I'm turning into a sigma fanboy since I also want the nice 600 to replace my 500 that also took a nasty hit from the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it was a commercial trip (did you pay to be on the boat?) you should be getting the boat operator/company to pay for the lenses.