Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Xeom posted:

Am I reading the rules right? You can not attack minions directly and instead always have to attack the opponent. Creatures only die if they decide to block, or can you directly attack creatures as well?

That's correct as far as combat goes, but there's also a lot of non-creature spells that can remove creatures directly. E.g. Lightning Strike or Flesh to Dust.

You're attacking your opponent's life total and they can use their creatures to block yours, which is the usual way creatures interact and kill each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I forgot how much I hate watching event coverage live. As an additional torture, these GP Orlando ads are quite frequent....I already can't wait to go and there's still a month to wait :negative:

Stoked that Aaron Miller's going. I need more Chewbacca Ajanis.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Generic perennial complaint about camera quality.

There's a better picture up at mythicspoiler I believe.
EDIT: http://www.mythicspoiler.com/ktk/cards/ivorytuskfortress.html

Not much better, but still.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It's also a 5/7 for 5 which is totally a thing. I mean, if the fixing is good enough, that's a windmill slam first pick in Limited at least.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wedges are difficult to design for given they're colors chosen for their lack of common mechanics, short of mix and match cards like Lightning Angel

The Abzan colors have been shown in other existing cards to be focused on high toughness / counters / graveyard. A card that has / cares about that fits into those colors. We'll see what its playing with

A 5/7 for 5 is pretty goddamn huge too and that's sweet

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's also a 5/7 for 5 which is totally a thing. I mean, if the fixing is good enough, that's a windmill slam first pick in Limited at least.

First picking a tri-colored creature in limited seems bad, but what do I know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
People realize the Junk gimmick is probably going to be something like tap: +1/+1 counter on thing, right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

qbert posted:

Like I said, depending on the fixing. They've said that the biggest lesson from Shards block was inadequate mana. If it's pretty good this time I can see first-picking a wedge creature, since you can 1) play the wedge or 2) play any of the three two-color combos from it and splash the third. Remember, DGM-GTC-RTR limited decks were more often than not 3 colors because of the quality of the fixing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
DGR draft basically forced you into 3 colors because if you stuck to two you'd have very slim pickings in either the GTC or RTR pack.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Tower Gargoyle (1UWB) was easily first-pickable, albeit not over a triland or any of the red removal spells

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

On the elephant:

quote:

[5:55:27 PM] Samantha: ...that is a good card
[5:55:31 PM] Samantha: and worthy of such a name
[5:55:35 PM] Samantha: Look at that beast
[5:55:40 PM] Samantha: HE IS SO HONORABLE

I think it makes the newbie players happy enough. And I'll tell you why it's not exceptionally within all of its colors:

Good loving luck hitting every color in a trio of colors. Rares of a tri set should emphasize what that group of colors are trying to do that set, not what each color typically does.

That way we get interesting cards as opposed to over loaded pieces of crap.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

End of Life Guy posted:

I know we hate reddit around here, but this has been posted there for hours, and I didn't see it here, so:

That is some clunky flavor text.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

People realize the Junk gimmick is probably going to be something like tap: +1/+1 counter on thing, right?

Why limit it to tapping on the board? Maybe it's like convoke where you can tap things you have while casting the spell to make it huge?

Legendary Azban land with KEYWORD, Tap: the next creature that enters the battlefield under your control, gains a +1/+1 counter. Maybe even make it numerical so you could have a Legendary creature with KEYWORD 5 the next blabla with 5 +1/+1 counters? Probably on a 6 mana 2/3?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not unless the fixing is outrageous.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
You guys are all going to be so sad that you poo poo on this, when it ends up that the Abzan mechanic is fixed Bushido.

I'm going to be so sad, when I end up being totally wrong about this.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

You guys are all going to be so sad that you poo poo on this, when it ends up that the Abzan mechanic is fixed Bushido.

I'm going to be so sad, when I end up being totally wrong about this.

There is like a 90% chance the Azban mechanic will involve +1 counters though...

Maybe like the undying clause, and then priced accordingly? 1 mana 1/1, Azban 1 (when this creature blocks or becomes blocked, if it had no +1/+1 counters, put a +1/+1 counter on it)?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Not unless the fixing is outrageous.

They've said the fixing will be better than in Shards, where Wooly Thoctar ruled, soooo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You can tap a mana-producing land and just not spend the mana, right? I'm asking in relation to Mindslaver-ing someone and then limiting their options for your next turn.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

You can tap a mana-producing land and just not spend the mana, right? I'm asking in relation to Mindslaver-ing someone and then limiting their options for your next turn.
Yes.

E: When you Mindslaver someone, be sure to look at their sideboard, use anything that tutors to check out their deck, waste any resources they have, then tap out and pass.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget there are a lot of target player cards that can be pointed the wrong way. Have them Sign in Blood you when you're at 18 life or Thoughtseize themselves.

Oh, and you can always choose to fail to find when you use a tutor, regardless of whether there are legal targets, so if they have Fetchlands/Evolving Wilds type lands go ahead and play them then crack them to no effect.

e: The flipside is if you are Mindslavered don't forget to crack your fetchlands/sac your sac outlet to itself so it can't eat your board/etc before your turn starts.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 30, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

That is some clunky flavor text.

No, it's an awesome joke. Their House (in the weird familial noble sense) marches to war with them because it's putting it's power to war beside them, but since the elephant is also carrying a pretty literal fortress, their actual house is marching with them, too. :colbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also don't forget that sac outlets can potentially eat themselves (and everything else too).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

UberJew posted:

Don't forget there are a lot of target player cards that can be pointed the wrong way. Have them Sign in Blood you when you're at 18 life or Thoughtseize themselves.

The best is making them redirect something to a spellskite multiple times.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Bugsy posted:

The best is making them redirect something to a spellskite multiple times.
The best is just popping it on someone with 9 mana open and then seeing malfegor and drown in sorrow (while they had a mana crypt out).

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
This is my favourite LSV moment from Spellslingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artBJGT7MrQ&t=1293s

"If you want, you can take it back. Nah, I'm just kidding."

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I know Khans is coming out next month but when is the MODO cube gonna be back, mannnnnnnn.

I always have these stacks of phantom points I can never use quick enough.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
That was... quite a sendoff to VMA. Kenji (NumotTheNummy) plays an opponent who starts by slamming Living Death, and then combos off with Recurring Nightmare and Symbiotic Wurm for tons of tokens. But he's dead to Soltari Trooper, and he's got 1 card left in library. Then opponent clears the board with Starstorm, Kenji gets a 3/3 elephant and plays a blocker, and opponent has his Psychatog and Symbiotic Wurm only. Opponent draws the last card in his library, an Animate Dead for Predatory Nightstalker, and attacks through Kenji's now lone blocker for lethal, with no cards in library, 1 life, and no hand.

I've thought VMA is a pretty dull format for the most part, but when you bring so many ridiculous rares together in one place, you do occasionally get a ridiculous experience like that, which is sweet.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

UberJew posted:

Oh, and you can always choose to fail to find when you use a tutor, regardless of whether there are legal targets

Do remember that unless they changed this, it's only the case for tutor effects that specify something about the card. To be fair, this is probably 99% of tutors that are both relevant and unbanned in tournament formats, but if you ever do mindslaver the guy who's playing Diabolic Tutor in Modern, remember that you need to at least find a basic land or something with it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My guess for Abzan is whenever ~ takes damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Pax party invite: acquired

Who else is coming? I'll try to post spoilers but I doubt I'll beat twitter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mikujin posted:

Yes.

E: When you Mindslaver someone, be sure to look at their sideboard, use anything that tutors to check out their deck, waste any resources they have, then tap out and pass.

Yeah, this is is regards to MonoU Tron which I'm getting close to finishing (also I realized the other day that my Captain Sisay EDH deck has a fully tutorable Mindslaver lock)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

We had the most grinding limited game of all time at the Scars pre-release. Someone managed to get a mindslaver lock going with Prototype Portal, but the board was at a stalemate when he landed it and he was sinking so much mana in the lock he couldn't actually move forward with the whole winning the game part.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Was just poking around the MTGSalvation wiki for Khans info I may have missed and found Sarkan was a Mardu general before swanning off to be a planeswalker, apparently getting his men killed when he did so. Might be a bit odd with him having been BR and RG previously, but could be an opening one or more wedge walkers.

Also Cat Demons sound cool, strongly leaning to picking Sultai at the prerelease.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's either Abzan or Jeskai depending on what gets spoiled, especially in consideration to what Abzan's keyword is. If I manage to hit prelease twice, then I'll definitely do both.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Might be a bit odd with him having been BR and RG previously, but could be an opening one or more wedge walkers.

That shows that Sarkhan conflicts with The Mardu Clan. He doesn't value his friends/allies/horde (W), he values raw power and ferocity (G). That's why he loved Jund so much. No one cared about anyone else, they just chased power, food, and glory(what do you call goblin martyrdom?).

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 30, 2014

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
So I had a great time playing mono-white at FNM tonight. Went 3-1. That one loss is incredibly shameful though, because I lost to an 11 year old playing RDW. The same 11 year old handed me my rear end last week. :(

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Crusaderking posted:

So I had a great time playing mono-white at FNM tonight. Went 3-1. That one loss is incredibly shameful though, because I lost to an 11 year old playing RDW. The same 11 year old handed me my rear end last week. :(

Watch out for those kids. You'll get a bunch that can't focus and waste your time because they're running around up in people's business and then you have that one that wins a 6-man EDH tournament with a Prossh deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Crusaderking posted:

Hey man, give that kid a pat on the back, he's playing a game and doing well at it. And besides, it's also just a game at the same time, the only thing to be ashamed about with it is taking it too seriously or doing something stupid like cheating.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
The shame part was a joke, he was a nice kid and I've just started playing magic. The fact that I won as much as I did was pretty surprising. But yeah, I congratulated him and made a few jokes about it. All in all a pretty great time.

Edit: Also we have a kid's tournament for younger players at my LGS, he's just been crushing the competition so hard he got moved into the adult's bracket, so I knew going in he was goo.d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I want to say my story now!

My first draft (M15 two weeks ago) was at an anime convention, and I drafted a green-red deck. I went 2-1, with all three matches being sweeps. I won off of having 18 creatures, my curve basically topping at 3 mana, and everything above that having convoke.

I also drew Overwhelm (?) every game.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread