Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I actually kind of like those old Funky Winkerbeans. It's like Luann, but just kind of bland instead of incredibly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mister Beeg posted:

Hide your kids! I'm posting MAD! Run for your lives!

Sergio Aragones Looks at Air Travel (MAD #222, April 1981)
I seriously think I had this one. I remember these gags.

F Minus

Mary Worth

That's a really weird thing to say, Mary. And why are you looking at him like that when you say it?

Rex Morgan MD

"She's founding a nursing school, and wants to pay you a million kajillion dollars a year to run it!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

at least you turned out better than it did.

:unsmith:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

The writer's playing chicken with this dialogue, but Frank Bolle's going to be damned if he blinks first.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sometimes I have so much stuff that even I'm surprised at what I find.

Case in point, this is from "The Funny Times", a monthly news publication that reprints comic strips and editorial cartoons from all stripes (mainstream newspapers, edgy alternative, etc.). In one issue they printed a full-page comic parody by Ward Sutton, a favorite in the Editorial Cartoon thread for his Stan Kelly cartoons published by the Onion.

Sutton uses his "Kelly" persona to make fun of OP/ED cartoons, here, he parodies the entire comic strip line-up. Enjoy!

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 30, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 10, 1927)

Out Our Way (July 24-25, 1925)

Pogo (August 30-31, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (April 5-7, 1951)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

God I'm a little over a month older than this strip. :smithicide:

Better get yourself screened.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Someone Red and Rover this because I don't get it.

Hi Helen. I'm a 23-year-old college grad stuck in a cycle of dead-end temp jobs and had to move back home, and everyone in my lovely family enjoys making my life miserable. How do I stop the bullying?

Shouldn't that be an invitation to gouge him for cash? A lawyer who knows nothing about cars?

On the Fastrack

This deserves a greater facepalm than anything in Kevin and Kell.

The whole week was really bad tech jokes so I'll spare you the others.

Safe Havens

What about that tenure track Sam?!? Do you know how many postdocs are going to kill for your position?

He's getting some lame-o space bacterium named after him so who cares.

I wonder how dodos taste.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Dustin's dad decides to be generous and give him $40, chalking it up to his metaphorical conscience. Dustin was tempted to ask for $40 instead of $20, but decided not to. He jokes that his dad's metaphorical conscience overheard his own.

(It's a joke about the angel and devil sitting on each shoulder representing someone's conscience in cartoons.)

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
OK. Vintage Funky Winkerbean, the first few pages from 1974's "Closed Out" (including a special guest appearance by John Darling, Action News Reporter!)

You'll see 17-year old Les Moore in the next thrilling installment.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The school counselor being a talking computer is hilarious.

Man, Funky Winkerbean really was strange back then. In a good way (vs. strange in a bad way with today's strips)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Beeg posted:

The school counselor being a talking computer is hilarious.

Man, Funky Winkerbean really was strange back then. In a good way (vs. strange in a bad way with today's strips)

What I remember most about that era was Les serving as hall monitor with a Browning M1917 machine gun.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Another bonus comic.

Of all the comic strips in newspapers, MAD really loved to parody "Peanuts". For practically the strips' entire existence MAD liked to poke fun at them. Here's a list of them.

Of course, it's only fair that Charles Schulz get back at them. And he did in July 5, 1973.

10 years later, an hour-long special It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown aired on CBS. It was basically a compilation of storylines and gags from the newspaper strip, animated for television. The "Mr. Sack" storyline, which ended with the above strip, was among those animated. Wish I can find a clip, I remember going "HUH!?" when I first saw it as a wee child.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Stultus Maximus posted:

What I remember most about that era was Les serving as hall monitor with a Browning M1917 machine gun.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to post more, but since you mentioned the hall monitor one... here are the next few in the book.

I'll just post one a day (or thereabouts) from now on.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

That first sentence could seriously use a comma.

Intelligent Life

The artist for this must be from another planet. How else could someone get human facial structure so utterly wrong?

Francis

The bile flung at Obama is actually quite a bit like religious fervor; Republicans are seriously dedicated beyond reason to hating the man. Hop over to the Politoons thread if you want a taste of that, but consider yourself warned.

Also, grenade-jugglin' Francis is the best and might get me to finally spring for an av. :D

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hope when you sign up to that course, you show up for the first lecture and it's just a big poster that says "Zombies aren't real, idiot."

Hoover Dam posted:

Oh hell do I need to do the history lesson stuff for 1994? Just in case: this and the Hagar strip are referencing what was going on in Bosnia at the time, which involved referring to genocide as "ethnic cleansing" and said ethnic cleansing explicitly involving rape.
And that's... hilarious?

Darthemed posted:

Probably referring to the Cathy spoof.
More to the fact that four of the nine "parody" strips involve rape.

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G
Did this actually happen in the strip? I don't remember that story.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

The joke is the notion that Dustin could fill up his car with $20. Even $40 is a stretch.

Does that first statue have a full-on boner or do I just have a dirty mind? (Or both?)

Tiggum posted:

Did this actually happen in the strip? I don't remember that story.

I don't remember the specifics, but apparently it ended in a tazing.

(Courtesy of Comics Curmudgeon)

Edit: Almost forgot!

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Tiggum posted:

More to the fact that four of the nine "parody" strips involve rape.

In retrospect, that was a wrong comics parody to post, at least without a content warning. Sorry about that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Presumably Rosa has some Spanish under her belt. I wonder how Gunther's is? Also, bummer! They only get to do menial stuff?? I'd have thought their shiny new American high school diplomas would allow them to do emergency surgery in Peru!

Is the moral here supposed to be "everywhere is actually America now. Foreigners are a myth."

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

The artist for this must be from another planet. How else could someone get human facial structure so utterly wrong?

WHY does this guy think only nerds have ever seen Star Wars. everyone has seen loving star wars, or at least the family guy parody of it, which you are probably VERY familiar with, you loving unfunny hack

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

sweetguts posted:

WHY does this guy think only nerds have ever seen Star Wars. everyone has seen loving star wars, or at least the family guy parody of it, which you are probably VERY familiar with, you loving unfunny hack

Because either the author hasn't actually seen anything else, or he feels that the plebes that make up his audience aren't deserving of his immaculate Dr. Who and Warhammer.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
You know what's better than having a work crew dig up your internet and phone lines? Having that same crew dig up the line in another spot a day after it was repaired.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Apparently France didn't want her dirty laundry any more than Bert did.

Pibgorn

The audience had the same reaction when they found out this was being dragged out for another week.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

LtStorm posted:

Because either the author hasn't actually seen anything else, or he feels that the plebes that make up his audience aren't deserving of his immaculate Dr. Who and Warhammer.

Funny you should mention that- the creator of the strip posted this sneak preview of an upcoming comic to his blog a while ago...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

What the gently caress

What. The. gently caress.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

the gently caress kind of voldemort bullshit is this supposed to be. you're just hungry dude.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:golfclap:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

WindyMan posted:

What the gently caress

What. The. gently caress.

Came here to post this. The cartoonists are huffing aren't they?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Apparently France didn't want her dirty laundry any more than Bert did.

So what is this, like the thirtieth time in this interminable bullshit story that a German soldier has gotten the complete drop on them but allowed them to spew a hundred boring words and suddenly oh no I've been defeated somehow!! also tits and loving!

I think it's even been the same soldier every time. SHOOT HER YOU MORON

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

What, why "TACO" and not "I LOCATE rear end SEX"

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Yeah, I ain't getting it either. LEX ASSOCIATES = TACO. How do you do that?

Bleeker: That wasn't a condom he licked. It was a blob of goo. No, I don't know why he wanted to lick a slug. Here he is chasing a frog. Maybe he wants to lick it.

I think Bleeker's author is getting into the harder drugs or something.

Pickles makes sense. I would do this.

And just for all that bitching, I'm getting the complete MAD out again and cherry picking some stuff to post soon.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

don Jaime posted:

Yeah, I ain't getting it either. LEX ASSOCIATES = TACO. How do you do that?

Why, with clever application of copy editing skills.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

LvK posted:

Why, with clever application of copy editing skills.

"AXEL" is just as bad! At least I used all the letters!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

AMERICA!

Mary Worth

That hospital has hot coffee.

Rex Morgan MD

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Haha, did you guys know that nerds and jocks are different? That's pretty "LOL"-worthy, if you ask me. Hee hee!

Anyway, Funky Winkerbean's current arc of "Bull learns the most basic loving offensive scheme in football" is completely infuriating to me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

God drat, they've spent a whole loving week rubbing it in now that Mary was right. All must bow before her meddling. All must fall.

That dead patient was merely a sacrifice to her glory!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

AMERICA!

America Kitten is my favorite recurring character in F Minus.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Truly you will be a great help at the clinic with no one living anywhere nearby.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, at least all the crazy isn't gone from Dick Tracy.

"Oh hey, Villain camo from Lex Luthor."

NOPE, TACO TEH WONDAR DOUGH

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As yes I'm familiar with this school of bullshit detectivery too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aardmania posted:

Inspector Danger

Even if he really says "Axel," that's pretty silly.

• Locked thread