Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Perigryn posted:

(Kamen Rider W)
(Kyoryuger)
(Kamen Rider Eternal)

:swoon: :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 28, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Cue people bitching that he drives an automatic.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I believe Riku Sanjo also wrote Kyoryuger, didn't he?

So yeah Drive is going to be absolutely fantastic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I believe Riku Sanjo also wrote Kyoryuger, didn't he?

So yeah Drive is going to be absolutely fantastic.

Kamen Rider Double too, and he was very involved in Fourze.

Basically if I had any fears about this series (which I did, the tire-changing is lame), they're gone now, this could be another Double and I simply cannot say no to that.

Also Eternal sings the opening and that's pretty cool. I guess Sanjo's searching for his old Double friends. Wonder if we'd get a Shotaro cameo or something, Renn Kiriyama does seem to usually be up for Kamen Rider appearances.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sounds like it'll be a fairly light-hearted Rider series. Looking forward to seeing this all in action. Glorious mediocrely-rendered-3D action. :v:

At least they understand the need for a balance against Gaim's serious grim(er than usual) stuff with it running alongside Kyoryuger and ToQGer and being followed up by this.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Drive basically sounds like Double 2.0 with talking Drivers and thus is amazing :swoon:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
How does the motorcycle pop out of the car

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Twisty the Good posted:

Ejection button.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twisty the Good posted:

It folds in half to form one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7LKTWVa1mU

DUH-RIVE

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh yay it's wacky happy car time.
*japan and east asia blows up*

I wonder if that's a premonition, what the characters are trying to prevent, or if the show's like Wizard and has a pretty dark backstory even if the show itself isn't.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Is it just me or is that the same voice that did Decade's Driver?

That dude was awesome.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

How's GARO been as of late?
One Who Shines In The Darkness really was the last thing I watched and it was such an unbearable slog that it kind of killed my interest in the franchise. Has the latest stuff been any better?

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 29, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I thought The One Who Shines In The Darkness was the low point of the franchise. There were things I liked about it, but everything else brought it down. Flower of Makai is much closer to what I expect of a GARO TV series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flower of Makai is awesome and you should watch it. It's full of neat callbacks to Kouga's adventures, but with a totally different main character in Raiga, who is really enjoyable in how he's more human than super-stoic badass Kouga was (though I liked Kouga too). Really, it's a BIG step forward after how horrible Ryuga's series was.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Flower of Makai also really upped the creepy factor on some of the Horrors. Episode 9 in particular made my skin crawl.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Flower has great sword fights too. The choreography is really well done and sells the fact that Raiga is a badass.

The only possibly negative thing about Flower is the barely there overarching story, but I think the more procedural/episodic nature of the season is more fun than The One Who Shines in the Darkness. That show had an interesting premise that raised a lot of questions about Ryuga then never bothered to answer them.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I just had a startling realization about Kamen Rider: it follows the same progression as Star Trek movies: the even numbers are higher quality than the odds.

For example, Decade is bad, Double is good. OOO's drags around the middle, Fourze is good. Wizard is the worst one yet, Gaim is startling good.

I worry for Drive :ohdear:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Solaris Knight posted:

I just had a startling realization about Kamen Rider: it follows the same progression as Star Trek movies: the even numbers are higher quality than the odds.

For example, Decade is bad, Double is good. OOO's drags around the middle, Fourze is good. Wizard is the worst one yet, Gaim is startling good.

I worry for Drive :ohdear:

You're forgetting Kiva.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Also Decade and OOOs were fine.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

You're forgetting Kiva.

Kiva was a good...example of how not to handle 2-episode arcs

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Potsticker posted:

Also Decade was fine.

Yes he was

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

^^^^^^ Masahiro :swoon:

Thinking about it some more, I find it had to believe that someone who watched both shows could call OOOs terrible and Gaim great.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 30, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be largely fair to him, he didn't say that. He said OOO dragged. Which it did. Almost entirely because of things so far beyond their control to literally be biblical in scale, IE earthquakes, but still. The show sucked a few eggs once it hit the 20s.

Even then the whole show is only mediocre with moments of greatness that could have been. A lot of potential, a lot of great characters, most wasted.

And however you may enjoy Decade, it was a mess and had an awful story and awful characters.

I fully admit I have issues with Gaim, such as the fact that even this far in the main character can't grow a goddamn spine unless some one is holding the world at ransom and instantly backtracks on anything he has grown to face if it is even slightly morally troubling to him no matter what has been proven to him before that point. We'll see how Gaim ends to see how consistently good it is, but I'm right now hesitant to say it's as good as Double, which is easily top five of the Kamen Rider series I've seen. Even if it pusses out at the last minute.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It was a list of good shows and bad with OOO on the bad side. Like I know Decade isn't a lot of people's cup of tea. It has a lot of problems especially in how it treats all the legacy characters, plots and settings. But I don't dispute if people want to dislike it. And I can see how OOOs dragging and Eiji being aimless also might not appeal to people, but is OOOs so bad that next to Gaim it becomes some horrible mess that is some sort of failure of karate bugmen toy commercials?

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 30, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

It was a list of good shows and bad with OOO on the bad side. Like I know Decade isn't a lot of people's cup of tea. It has a lot of problems especially in how it treats all the legacy characters, plots and settings. But I don't dispute if people want to dislike it. And I can see how OOOs dragging and Eiji being aimless also might not appeal to people, but is OOOs so bad that next to Gaim it becomes some horrible mess that is some sort of failure of karate bugmen toy commercials?

Nah. I really enjoyed OOO, though if I rewatched it I would do so following some guide telling me what I can safely skip. Still, it had a really good villain cast, some pretty good Riders, a really enjoyable non-Rider support cast (mostly Ankh and Cakeboss), and if I may, did the desire thing far better than Gaim did. I really enjoy Gaim but holy poo poo Kouta's arc is not very well done at all. Kaito and Micchy end up being far better characters with more interesting arcs, as was Takatora before he got offed, Kouta's whole "need to find his own desire but is turning into a monster" thing was done far, far better with Eiji and his character is just...boring.

OOO's main problems are a slow middle (which is normal for a Kobayashi series) and a main character that, while pretty good, gets really overshadowed by just how great everyone else is. Still, I seem to hold Eiji in higher regard than most people in this thread. He's no Gentaro, but then again, who is?

About Decade, the series was aimless and could've been far better, but goddammit Tsukasa is great. I'm always up for his snark.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Oh Hell no. OOO and Gaim are directly comparable, to me anyways. In fact, to be frank, I think OOO handled the toy aspect of the show far better than Gaim has. With OOO, the rate he got his forms, it all made sense, felt natural to the story. Gaim, they literally rushed him into his final form, and unlike with OOO where they could play around with that, since really no form was more final than the other until a certain movie combo, and it largely felt like a mess for Gaim.

Gaim shouldn't have gotten his final form until about two episodes ago or so, when facing the Overlord King-that was the only time he *NEEDED* it. And it was right on the heels of yet another revelation of how his powers should work and all that.

I will admit OOOs made me cringe a bit more with Maki and how silly he was up until the finale, for him to be the main villain, but Gaim isn't wowing me with the villain list either.

Comes down to how it ends I guess.

V3's still the best show and Rider, and I fully admit it's middle dragged a bit as well, notably the Archbishop Wing arc which just had NOTHING to prop it up.

Also I begrudge no one their karate bugman shows to watch and enjoy. Knock yourself out. I personally hate Fourze, from a design level to a show level, but I don't care that people like it because it's just not something I enjoy. I am not generally a fan of the light hearted stuff. Doesn't mean my opinion means more than anyone elses.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I still can't believe that people would complain about OOO dragging in the middle but not about having to sit there for something like 3 months waiting for the KR Club to be fully assembled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

I still can't believe that people would complain about OOO dragging in the middle but not about having to sit there for something like 3 months waiting for the KR Club to be fully assembled.

I'll complain about it! The entire loving Meteor arc is a gigantic waste of everyone's time and it is the single biggest problem with Fourze.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Even without Meteor there were still six characters aside from Gen in the club and each got a two part focus, thats a pretty massive chunk of time to have the show totally on the rails with no shocks or surprises.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I love Gentaro, he's just under Shotaro for my favorite main characters, and I like most of the KR Club, and I even like Fourze and all it's wacky designs, but despite all that it's forever below W and OOOs (and now Kuuga/Black) when it comes to my favorite Rider shows because a perfect main character and all the fun and optimism that show had packed into it can't make up for the mess of a story and wasted time. There was so much time spent introducing the club and the switches one or two at a time that they were nearly out of episodes by the time Cosmic States came in and they'd yet to give the villains any real motivation. So they end up shotgunning through the rest of the Zodiarts, introducing and then offing them, and make up some vague idea about aliens and fake babies (to rehash Double's end) just so there's a reason for everything to have happened. It sucks too because while there's so much I love about the series and it was a lot of fun to watch, it's funny that I have this rider that I adore and will rave about but at the same time actually hesitate to recommend his show since I know it ends without really going anywhere. At least all of its movies are good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Even without Meteor there were still six characters aside from Gen in the club and each got a two part focus, thats a pretty massive chunk of time to have the show totally on the rails with no shocks or surprises.

That isn't really a problem. Every episode doesn't need to be a shock or surprise. The bulk of episodes don't need to be shocking or surprising in fact, especially for a children's show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't really mind periods of little plot advancement as long as the episodes are entertaining in and of themselves. Sure I'd prefer for the stories to be able to keep moving, but if I like the characters, I'm fine just watching whatever they get into week by week. The two episode arc structure broke down in Wizard for me simply because almost none of the characters were interesting or entertaining.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I'll complain about it! The entire loving Meteor arc is a gigantic waste of everyone's time and it is the single biggest problem with Fourze.

See I would say that, but Meteor's arc gave us the best villains in the show, Cancer and Aries, so I feel like it was worth it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

See I would say that, but Meteor's arc gave us the best villains in the show, Cancer and Aries, so I feel like it was worth it.

Sure, they were great, but there was a lot of wheel spinning either way. The end of Meteor's arc is great, but the secret identity trope doesn't work when hammered this hard, this long, and a whole lot of the span in question didn't give us enough Cancer to justify it.

The building of the club through saving Kengo on the moon is pretty much perfect though.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
This week's ToQger spoiler: That upgrade form. CHOO CHOO! Too bad we won't see it in action until next week.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

You lot should probably try to talk me out of getting this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Bandai...=item58ad197024

Just saying :negative:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

You lot should probably try to talk me out of getting this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Bandai...=item58ad197024

Just saying :negative:

It's 15 bucks. Who cares. Do what you really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I just want to be prepared if there's another discount or Mystic Force version or anything before dropping 25 bucks on a silly roleplay prop.

Edit: Now I'm plumbing the depths trying to find toys of a mediocre character from a mediocre season of a children's TV show. True embarassment and suffering :negative:

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread