Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Systematic System posted:

I dunno about y'all, but I like loving up my job in easily resolvable ways: that's why I only use full thrust combo on DRG, use a flank only rotation on mnk, only use heavy shot on BRD, and don't bother to dps on healers.

You forgot about spamming nothing but ruin as a summoner, while running ifrit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ElMaligno posted:

Shut the gently caress up you fun hating nerd.

This. Not in regards to healer deeps, but just in general.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Get the gently caress out of my game you shitlord baddie.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I normally DPS as a healer, but sometimes I'm in a lazy mood and I just wanna follow the tank around and heal him every now and then while not really needing to think or pay attention at all. It's not like it really matters in poo poo like high level roulette, they're normally over pretty quick regardless.

Most people don't seem to notice anyway. If someone does care enough to ask me to DPS, I'll go ahead and do it even if I'm not in the mood.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Verranicus posted:

I must be the Worst Healer because I never do more than heal when I queue as WHM or SCH.

Volt Catfish posted:

Listen man I queued as a healer not as a DPS :rolleyes:

e: Realtalk, I switch on healing and dpsing about half the time, but I'm honestly not going to give a scholar poo poo for not dpsing because it was clearly only intended to make soloing less of a chore for a healer class.

kirbysuperstar posted:

This. Not in regards to healer deeps, but just in general.

Basically:

ilifinicus posted:

Get the gently caress out of my game you shitlord baddie.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Just got 4 commendations in ST as bard for doing nothing particularly noteworthy. :feelsgood:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
whiiiiiiine whine whine biiiiiiiitch bitch bitch

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Just got 4 commendations in ST as bard for doing nothing particularly noteworthy. :feelsgood:

Haha, yeah. You'd be surprised what whipping out animal puns in Halatali Hardmode and taking over door duty in the Lost City will do to your commendation count.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I would like to issue an apologies, as I find DPSing as a healer to be fun and essential.

However I will not apologize to Belzac because he is a fun hating nerd :colbert:

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Hell ya, now I am Aang.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
E: somehow posted in the wrong thread nothing to see here

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Totally random but do DPS meters exist? How can you tell if a DPS is pulling their weight in a raid?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

rawrr posted:

Totally random but do DPS meters exist? How can you tell if a DPS is pulling their weight in a raid?

The two most popular are FFXIV-APP and Advanced Combat Tracker. Back when I first started looking into using them, ACT was more accurate but slightly harder to set up and use, while FFXIV-APP was super simple but not as accurate (to the tune of 30-50 dps compared to a lot of other people's parses in my raid). I would assume that FFXIV-APP has gotten better since then, and if you're just looking to get some baseline numbers for yourself and try out different rotations or whatever, it's definitely more than capable.

edit: also just so you're aware they're technically against Square's TOS so don't go posting logs in game or talking about it in /shout or anything stupid.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

rawrr posted:

They totally do not exist and there is no third party program that will link into the game to read the combat log to pull who is doing what.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I really want retainers to be able to go on their own raids with other retainers that you can watch them do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GEMorris posted:

You forgot about spamming nothing but ruin as a summoner, while running ifrit.

Ifrit is actually good now.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dalamud red is the best chocobo color and your opinion is poo poo if you disagree. :colbert:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Chyea posted:

Hell ya, now I am Aang.

Congratulations! Is that MS Paint image with my fellow DnT members done yet?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I would like to issue an apologies, as I find DPSing as a healer to be fun and essential.

However I will not apologize to Belzac because he is a fun hating nerd :colbert:

SCH is boring if I'm not DPSing. WHM is a bit more hands on, but once the fairy is out and I have confirmed people aren't standing in the stuff its time to shadow flare, dot, and ruin the poo poo out of everything. Also completely stopped using Eos and only use Selene because the rate of death dealing increases exponentially without really trading off that much healing and its awesome. I don't really mind if other healers don't DPS unless the fight is entering a DPS check phase, in which case get yo stance on because Stone II / Holy ain't no little bitch spells.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Ifrit is actually good now.

Is he? I only use him on trash mobs, since I'm tired of seeing garuda all the time. I don't remember seeing any "buff" to ifrit however. I still use him anyway though. He's my fav.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Ifrit benefits from both dragon kick and storm's eye as well as getting buffs in the last major patch, which can edge out over Garuda with contagion but you will need MP like a drat fix, which is unfortunate because the fight with the greatest parse-able benefit would be T8.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Verranicus posted:

I must be the Worst Healer because I never do more than heal when I queue as WHM or SCH.

As a WHM, AND a tank, I loving hate you. Things go so much loving faster when the healer stops being lazy. You do not need more than regen, holy, medica 2 and stone 2 when healing a 4-man, unless you're doing huge pulls. Then you pop out of clerics stance after a few holies and top off the tank with cure 2.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 30, 2014

tink.
Jan 1, 2014

Aurora posted:

I really want retainers to be able to go on their own raids with other retainers that you can watch them do.

..I would watch this.

Healer talk: As a baby whm I'll dps if my tank/group isn't complete morons and I feel safe leaving them alone for a few globals. I like it when dungeons move fast because I can dps. But if I'm in a group of idiots, I probably won't do much more than toss virus on the boss at the beginning of fights.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

As a WHM, AND a tank, I loving hate you. Things go so much loving faster when the healer stops being lazy. You do not need more than regen, holy, medica 2 and stone 2 when healing a 4-man, unless you're doing huge pulls. Then you pop out of clerics stance after a few holies and top off the tank with cure 2.

Hate me all you like. I didn't queue as DPS. :clint:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I just have my own simple solution to make sure the healer acts exactly like I want them to in 4-mans, and that's by being the healer myself. :v:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
As long as the party remains alive I don't care what the gently caress the healer does because I'm too busy stabbing dudes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a can of worms either way and it's a lot easier to mock at Illidan Stormrage, the dragoon that fell off on Titan, so I'll do that instead

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I bet these healers don't even fracture, thus losing upwards of 3 seconds of time per pull. This is unacceptable

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

I bet these healers don't even fracture, thus losing upwards of 3 seconds of time per pull. This is unacceptable

I'm not sure I follow. Do you happen to have a graph or pie chart?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I completely understand why White Mages might level up not knowing when and how to DPS - you don't get Stoneskin until 32/34, and Regen is 35. Before then, you actually have to manually cast everything, and even after that you can't really go on autopilot. Add in Holy being super late at 45, and it's easy to see how the habit never really formed.

Scholar, though? You can't get to be a Scholar without burning Arcanist's DPS rotation into your head for 29 levels, and you also can't unlock Scholar without getting Cleric Stance and Aero. By the time you can queue for an instance as Scholar, you have every relevant rotational ability & a fairy that lets you use them. If you never start experimenting, I don't know how you got through ACN to begin with.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

There are also a lot of players I've seen who will FLIP OUT at a WHM or Scholar if they'e not constantly at 100% life, even in the middle of a loving fight against trash mobs. Like i've seen some pretty lovely tanks who start panicking when they're sitting in the 85-90 range for more than 5 seconds.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Niton posted:

I completely understand why White Mages might level up not knowing when and how to DPS - you don't get Stoneskin until 32/34, and Regen is 35. Before then, you actually have to manually cast everything, and even after that you can't really go on autopilot. Add in Holy being super late at 45, and it's easy to see how the habit never really formed.

Scholar, though? You can't get to be a Scholar without burning Arcanist's DPS rotation into your head for 29 levels, and you also can't unlock Scholar without getting Cleric Stance and Aero. By the time you can queue for an instance as Scholar, you have every relevant rotational ability & a fairy that lets you use them. If you never start experimenting, I don't know how you got through ACN to begin with.

for added hilarity, level SCH after WHM and put Stoneskin on people in level 15 dungeons.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

There are also a lot of players I've seen who will FLIP OUT at a WHM or Scholar if they'e not constantly at 100% life, even in the middle of a loving fight against trash mobs. Like i've seen some pretty lovely tanks who start panicking when they're sitting in the 85-90 range for more than 5 seconds.

People flip out the second a healer isn't a shield against all types of damage ever. I've had people get annoyed with me because I slotted Aero and Cleric Stance before Protect and Stoneskin on my SCH. Pretty sure you don't need those particular safety blankets in Copperbell Story, guys.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rei_ posted:

I always get sad when healers heal me when I'm at ninety percent health. I just want a reason to press buttons other than 1-2-3 in a dungeon. Let me use my cooldows, please. :smith:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Tank while taking no actions besides flash and defensive cooldowns. Say "I didn't queue as dps" whenever anyone mentions what you're doing. Link to your twitch stream where you murder puppies live. You'll still get 3 commendations.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 30, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

for added hilarity, level SCH after WHM and put Stoneskin on people in level 15 dungeons.

Even better, the other day I tanked Haukke and had a CNJ who was quite upset that the THM could apply Stoneskin and they couldn't.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Yeah, it's true. Often healers get bitched at no matter what they do, perceived or real, because their role is so prominent.

I agree that White Mages and Scholars can and should learn to DPS when appropriate, but can we stop flipping out over the one, true way to play? If someone in your static isn't pulling their weight in coil 2 or someone is so bad they caused a wipe, kindly get on their case.

There's even room for talking about optimal vs sub-optimal play (for those times when it actually makes a difference), but let's all drop the holier-than-thou attitude in my catgirl simulator chat, thanks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I'm tanking for the first time (Warrior with 22 in Gladiator) and still pretty unsure what my responsibilities and expectations of others should be (outside of the obvious aggro dudes and don't die). If I'm frequently dropping below a third health against trash should I be giving my healer a hard time? As a rule of thumb should it be my responsibility or the DPSs' to kill adds? In the latter case I've had a couple of runs go tits-up now because we've been flooded with adds and I didn't want to burn through my entire TP bar trying to kill them by myself (obviously I've taken aggro but otherwise stuck to the main boss), is that just bad play on the DPSs part or what?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Are you dying? If not, then don't worry about it. If your healer is having trouble keeping you up even with dedicated healing, you might need better gear.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you dying? If not, then don't worry about it. If your healer is having trouble keeping you up even with dedicated healing, you might need better gear.

My gear is usually in pretty good shape, it just gets slightly uncomfortable seeing my HP get on the wrong side of 50%, speaking as someone who usually plays healer. But yeah I guess as I'm not dropping dead from neglect I'll try and stay a bit chiller about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

Congratulations! Is that MS Paint image with my fellow DnT members done yet?

It's currently what you would call a work in progress.

• Locked thread