Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BMS posted:

Question, regarding the SWATTING.....how do these individuals know where the streamer lives/which PD to call and have them go to his house? I mean are these people dumb enough to give their address out over their stream, or are these people somehow hacking the dudes stream and internet signal or some poo poo?

There's a lot of info out there for someone willing to look for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

There's a lot of info out there for someone willing to look for it.

Well true, I mean if you give your actual name out or something, you can pretty much find everything about you with a few google searches, especially if you pay the right sites. Which I'm totally in the dark about all these people, so barring them giving their real name, or posting their address in the stream or some poo poo, those are really the only ways I can think somebody could find the info needed to do this. Unless, like I mentioned, hacked their IP somehow or something like that.

Basically my point is, the internet/world is full of creeps, don't give out your personal info unless necessary, CERTAINLY not on a video game stream :( Not saying people are asking for it or deserve it or any of that poo poo. It's just, knowing how weird people are, especially on the internet, you either have to have balls of loving steel, or a peanut for a brain to arbitrarily give out legit contact info over the net.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
They donate, like, $1 to the streamer (usually through paypal) and then look at the receipt to get the information.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

BMS posted:

Well true, I mean if you give your actual name out or something, you can pretty much find everything about you with a few google searches, especially if you pay the right sites. Which I'm totally in the dark about all these people, so barring them giving their real name, or posting their address in the stream or some poo poo, those are really the only ways I can think somebody could find the info needed to do this. Unless, like I mentioned, hacked their IP somehow or something like that.

Basically my point is, the internet/world is full of creeps, don't give out your personal info unless necessary, CERTAINLY not on a video game stream :( Not saying people are asking for it or deserve it or any of that poo poo. It's just, knowing how weird people are, especially on the internet, you either have to have balls of loving steel, or a peanut for a brain to arbitrarily give out legit contact info over the net.

You wouldn't have to give it out on the stream, people could just look up whatever alias you use and work from there until they find what they're looking for.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So getting off the SWATing topic:

Another goon ended up playing a game called Unturned (think DayZ meets Minecraft's aesthetics) on the server run by a couple guys from the Mindcrack YouTube personality server. He ended up getting shot by one of the guys, causing his name to appear on screen for some time.

From what he's told me because of the video of his death he ended up with three more subscribers on his YouTube channel (with no videos), people have asked to friend him on Steam out of the blue and he's been getting unsolicited messages asking him for the server IP and password.

That's sort of nuts to me, that people would go to the lengths they have to follow some random guy in hopes they could play with YouTube famous guys.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lazyfire posted:

So getting off the SWATing topic:

Another goon ended up playing a game called Unturned (think DayZ meets Minecraft's aesthetics) on the server run by a couple guys from the Mindcrack YouTube personality server. He ended up getting shot by one of the guys, causing his name to appear on screen for some time.

From what he's told me because of the video of his death he ended up with three more subscribers on his YouTube channel (with no videos), people have asked to friend him on Steam out of the blue and he's been getting unsolicited messages asking him for the server IP and password.

That's sort of nuts to me, that people would go to the lengths they have to follow some random guy in hopes they could play with YouTube famous guys.

To some degree, I figure that's social engineering from the type of guys that do swatting. If you want to really mess with a guy, you need to take every angle you can get, so if you just ask everybody he might have played with, you might end up getting an in. The subscribing and such I can't explain, though. That's just weird.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TheMcD posted:

To some degree, I figure that's social engineering from the type of guys that do swatting. If you want to really mess with a guy, you need to take every angle you can get, so if you just ask everybody he might have played with, you might end up getting an in. The subscribing and such I can't explain, though. That's just weird.

The ideal situation is probably something like:

Blindly Subscribe-> "I subbed because I'm a huge fan of your ______ Videos, can we play together sometime?" -> "I'm actually playing ____ right now! Join off of me in Steam!" -> Play with internet famous people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You can internet detective most people. Nobody is able to keep their entire lives off the internet anymore. It's just a matter of how hard someone wants to look.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

The ideal situation is probably something like:

Blindly Subscribe-> "I subbed because I'm a huge fan of your ______ Videos, can we play together sometime?" -> "I'm actually playing ____ right now! Join off of me in Steam!" -> Play with internet famous people.

So what you're saying is if I start giving out my steamID people will want to play video games with me because I'm an LP superstar and then we'll all get internet famous?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

A guy I know got friend requests because he signed on to steam when a semi-famous youtube dude was streaming and/or recording.

Slightly unrelated: when the hell did Admiral Bahroo get so big? He makes pretty good videos but I feel very reluctant towards him since he made a lot of the Borderlands 2 discussions insufferable.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So what you're saying is if I start giving out my steamID people will want to play video games with me because I'm an LP superstar and then we'll all get internet famous?

No no no, you have to appear with a legit YouTube superstar for a few moments in one of their videos to get pretenders and hangers on who will use you for an imagined link to said YouTube star.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

No no no, you have to appear with a legit YouTube superstar for a few moments in one of their videos to get pretenders and hangers on who will use you for an imagined link to said YouTube star.

So all the people I've guested with weren't LP superstars?! I've been tricked!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So all the people I've guested with weren't LP superstars?! I've been tricked!

Stick with me kid and I'll take you straight to the lower mid tier of SA LP superstars.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

Stick with me kid and I'll take you straight to the lower mid tier of SA LP superstars.

I can vouch for this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

With all the guesting that goes around here, I've sometimes thought of developing a "Seven Degrees of Slowbeef" to see how close we are to the real stars of LP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am a member of SA and so is slowbeef. My :letsplay: Number is therefore 2, as it is for all SA members.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

With all the guesting that goes around here, I've sometimes thought of developing a "Seven Degrees of Slowbeef" to see how close we are to the real stars of LP.

I ran an LP with nine-gear crow who was probated by slowbeef for making a horrible My Little Pony pun. What is that, two degrees? Three?

Or what Cjacobs said.

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO
The :letsplay: number should be based on LP's. People who have been in the same LP as him have a 2. Then if the people who are 2's have LP's with other people, those people are 3's. etc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SirShakes posted:

The :letsplay: number should be based on LP's. People who have been in the same LP as him have a 2. Then if the people who are 2's have LP's with other people, those people are 3's. etc.

But that puts Diabeetus at the same :letsplay: number as EntranceJew, and if livestreams count gives me a three, which I don't think seems appropriate.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I moderated here, you were all reported at one point or another, you are all one degree away from me, and thereby two-three degrees away from most YouTube celebrities.

GAME OVER

BAD END

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

GAME OVER

BAD END

You've been playing too much Touhou

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

judge reinhold posted:

The crime is reckless endangerment of PB, but usually gets plead down to Splitslaughter.

Next AGDQ shaping up to be a monster.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't believe someone bought a little Slowbeef head as an emoticon.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any guesses at to what kind of drama will be happening at AGDQ this year? SGDQ was pretty crazy in that regard.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
There was drama? I just saw speedruns.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

IGgy IGsen posted:

There was drama? I just saw speedruns.
Apparently there were drunk orgies or some unpleasantness among the stink nerds there.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Was that the thing where the guy's wife was cheating on him and someone revealed it on the stream?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Next AGDQ shaping up to be a monster.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Niggurath posted:

Apparently there were drunk orgies or some unpleasantness among the stink nerds there.

no drunk orgies as far as i'm aware

bobjr posted:

Was that the thing where the guy's wife was cheating on him and someone revealed it on the stream?

This was a thing, although it wasn't a stream but for some weird reason the personal apology letter was put on pastebin of all things.

I don't have the link for it anymore but that did happen.

The short of the story though is that there was a newlywed couple and due to things happening between them the dude up and left her there, the guys friend (stivitybobo i believe is how you spell his name, the Banjo Kazooie speed runner)and her got drunk and did the business.

Cue the apology letter on pastebin (i don't know if he personally posted it there or if somehow sombody got a hold of it and put it there for everybody to see) and stiv vaguley posting about it on twitter, which is was gone, don't know if it's back or not.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 30, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Now, I know there's a lot of talk about her and I having sex. And I will confirm that this is true.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

slowbeef posted:

I moderated here, you were all reported at one point or another, you are all one degree away from me, and thereby two-three degrees away from most YouTube celebrities.

GAME OVER

BAD END

Does number of bans and probations by you make people even closer because if so I am the most LP connected person on these forums.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently pewdiepie has closed his comments section "forever".
I don't know what this is about and don't really care but I get the feeling something funny'll happen.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 30, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I watched the video and his reason is that Youtube comments are poo poo, which is pretty valid.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
PewDiePie is actually pretty good at PR, I'm not surprised that if he really thought the comments on his videos were harming his image he'd close them. Obviously there's still the elephant in the room of "maybe look at the rape jokes you make before condemning the comments section", but whatchagonnado?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I thought he quit making rape jokes...?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Roman Reigns posted:

I thought he quit making rape jokes...?

Did he? Good for him then, I wasn't aware! (I mean that in earnest)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Jsor posted:

Did he? Good for him then, I wasn't aware! (I mean that in earnest)

For a while, but I understand he went back to them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zain posted:

Maybe they aren't jokes anymore :gonk:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Zain posted:

And here I was thinking, Internet persona aside, he seemed like a pretty cool guy in real life.

gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
We were talking about swatting earlier right?

• Locked thread