Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

XMNN posted:

this thing is hilarious because its irrelevant that young white men are no longer the biggest audience for video games while theyre still the primary audience of these gaming journalism sites. kotaku can declare "gamer culture" to be dead because the most popular game is candy crush or whatever but thats not going to start making middle-aged women read their site.

White Knight til I die.:coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gay + mer, which is to say a human being fish fairy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is this like new game + where its just harder with the previous experience? Are journalists going to be dumber with previous experience?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

XMNN posted:

kotaku can declare "gamer culture" to be dead because the most popular game is candy crush or whatever but thats not going to start making middle-aged women read their site.

I mean by that logic gamers have been irrelevant ever since cell phones started coming with snake built in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

What?

Which audience is bigger?

It's true when you consider stuff like Farmville and Candy Crush. The problem for advertisers and websites is games like that aren't played by people who give a single poo poo about games media.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The funny thing about this is the whole "the video game journalist industry is corrupt" started out as just masked misogyny but now the video game journalism industry has collectively poo poo its pants.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

XMNN posted:

this thing is hilarious because its irrelevant that young white men are no longer the biggest audience for video games while theyre still the primary audience of these gaming journalism sites. kotaku can declare "gamer culture" to be dead because the most popular game is candy crush or whatever but thats not going to start making middle-aged women read their site.

And even if they do, the current advertisers will likely sever given that the audience that they paid for isn't showing up, so why bother sticking around too.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
holy fukken lol the vidya press is killing itself in a spectacular manner

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The funny thing about this is the whole "the video game journalist industry is corrupt" started out as just masked misogyny but now the video game journalism industry has collectively poo poo its pants.

It started as sort of that, then the gaming press stuck their finger in and stirred it around releasing all the general pent up discontent with them that had been festering under the surface for years.

The whole thing has been funny as gently caress to watch from the sidelines.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Don't women buy the most games of any market these days? I mean, if there is genuine problems for women in game design to get their voices heard or to make games, that's a genuine problem. Can't...rather shouldn't that be addressed specifically? Do the Sarksesian Feminists have any actual specific goal, besides outrage?

Only if you count mobile/social games. "Core games" (for want of a better term) is still overwhelmingly dominated by 18-35 males.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 30, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't women buy the most games of any market these days? I mean, if there is genuine problems for women in game design to get their voices heard or to make games, that's a genuine problem. Can't...rather shouldn't that be addressed specifically? Do the Sarksesian Feminists have any actual specific goal, besides outrage?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Remember those idiots who want to film a documentary about Anita Sarkeesian and 'SJWs hijacking gaming'? Well, some other bloke, who's also critical towards Anita, made a video where he called them out on being dumb greedy fucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJR7kU3Ukv0
And the comments section is absolutely fantastic right now.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Lightanchor posted:

I'm GAME positive :(

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
god thread, why won't you die

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So the odds of publishers following Nintendo's lead and doing clubs to advertise and poo poo are pretty good right? I can see the gaming blogs turning into an indie only scene very shortly.

Fathis Munk posted:

god thread, why won't you die

Hey, funny poo poo is happening again.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So the odds of publishers following Nintendo's lead and doing clubs to advertise and poo poo are pretty good right? I can see the gaming blogs turning into an indie only scene very shortly.

Nintendo Directs honestly own so much

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think + probably means plus-sized. Which is redundant in my opinion.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

People care so little about this, that's why the thread is 230 pages long and each page has like 10 posts saying ''Ugh who cares.''

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm personally of the mind that the industry hasn't caught up to its audience yet. Within the next few years I'm expecting less misogynist aspects to gaming. I think all the talking heads should be focused on education instead of attacking other people; social change can't really be forced. Educate people, and with time certain issues will be less pronounced.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ravenkult posted:

People care so little about this, that's why the thread is 230 pages long and each page has like 10 posts saying ''Ugh who cares.''

I think everyone just cares to see SJW's humiliated because everybody who isn't a SJW hates them.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

I think everyone just cares to see SJW's humiliated because everybody who isn't a SJW hates them.

gently caress, I'm sort of an sjw and I love seeing these idiots getting what's coming to them.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
SJW is a meaningless word, a better way to describe the Zoe crowd would be "super thin skinned babies"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I mean I didn't really care all that much about sjw nonsense infecting gaming sites, but when that poo poo spreads to ars technica then that bothers me.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I'm personally of the mind that the industry hasn't caught up to its audience yet. Within the next few years I'm expecting less misogynist aspects to gaming.

I'm really glad publishers are starting to at least notice there's a demand for female representation and try to cater to it

Smash bros went straight from having like 3 chicks total to suddenly having enough female characters to comprise an entire roster

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm personally of the mind that the industry hasn't caught up to its audience yet. Within the next few years I'm expecting less misogynist aspects to gaming. I think all the talking heads should be focused on education instead of attacking other people; social change can't really be forced. Educate people, and with time certain issues will be less pronounced.

the people who give the most amount of damns about various -isms can be pretty safely ignored, since they usually only care about superficial details and not about context or any other thing that actually matters in a vidya game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't the reason that women are such a big part of "gaming" now because of stupid mobile games? If you removed mobile games from the market, aren't they still a huge minority?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am more against the sort of Twitte mobs that harass people for offending them and expect punishments to be doled out. If Jontron had worked for a company when he had his turn to be lambasted, they would have demandd he be fired too. When on earth did we get this notion that we are entitled to an apology , regardless of its sincerity.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I am more against the sort of Twitte mobs that harass people for offending them and expect punishments to be doled out. If Jontron had worked for a company when he had his turn to be lambasted, they would have demandd he be fired too. When on earth did we get this notion that we are entitled to an apology , regardless of its sincerity.

Whep people started to genuinely believe they had the right to not be offended.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Smash bros went straight from having like 3 chicks total to suddenly having enough female characters to comprise an entire roster

Shulk isn't a girl

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't the reason that women are such a big part of "gaming" now because of stupid mobile games? If you removed mobile games from the market, aren't they still a huge minority?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Waltzing Along posted:

more or less yes, for every actual woman who plays PC games there would be a dozen or so white knights who feel it is their duty to be offended about every little thing that might be considered "problematic"

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway, Zoe should have this as her intro at her panel at PAX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46gd0C9ZV4

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As a black man who likes to get all up in dese white bitches an' gently caress dey asses while dey bitch-rear end husband watch, I can tell you that it's not all it's cucked up to be.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

The Taint Reaper posted:

Shulk isn't a girl
shirtless shulk sure isn't there for the straight male gamers tho.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Shinjobi posted:

I'm interested in seeing the data behind this because I have a hard time believing that half of the people who purchase videogames like COD are women. Anecdotally speaking I don't know a single woman who plays AAA games or even owns a current-gen console. My girlfriend has a Resident Evil game on her phone that she plays sometimes but lumping her in with my friend who has made over $1000 in videogame purchases so far this year seems pretty inaccurate.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

lol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I'm really glad publishers are starting to at least notice there's a demand for female representation and try to cater to it

Are you sure it's not just influence from Bandai Namco?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Are you sure it's not just influence from Bandai Namco?

It ain't, Sakurai said in an interview that he made it one of his main goals this time around

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve Batmans posted:

As a black man who likes to get all up in dese white bitches an' gently caress dey asses while dey bitch-rear end husband watch, I can tell you that it's not all it's cucked up to be.
Does he just watch or does he jerk off while it's happening? This is interesting stuff.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7nu65MonM

I like Mundane Matt and Internet Aristocrat videos, if out of all of this the only thing I gain is listening to two dudes talk about game bullshit. I'll be okay with that.

Also I hope they do the Gamer+ stuff because then it will identify anybody who writes about games that I can quickly ignore them completely. Go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lodin posted:

Does he just watch or does he jerk off while it's happening? This is interesting stuff.

He plays settlers of catan with my kids.

• Locked thread