Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

But then you have guys like matt lindland who sued to get onto the team, and ended up getting a silver, so it's not as if what occurs in the tryouts is the be all end all of your ability to perform. It just seems strange that team usa in this case would be willing to write off a guy who'd won a gold in his last outing. But then it's four years between olympics, and there might had been plenty of other performances that pointed to cejudo having peaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Street Horrrsing posted:

But then you have guys like matt lindland who sued to get onto the team, and ended up getting a silver, so it's not as if what occurs in the tryouts is the be all end all of your ability to perform. It just seems strange that team usa in this case would be willing to write off a guy who'd won a gold in his last outing. But then it's four years between olympics, and there might had been plenty of other performances that pointed to cejudo having peaked.

It's not writing him off, it's that someone else beat him to earn the spot (I assume).

mister
Dec 18, 2011
He's had a bunch of problems since winning in 2008, and the main one is that he lost at the Olympic Trials for 2012. This link has more info, but he took a couple of years off from wrestling, cut ties with his former coach/camp, and has generally struggled since his medal.

The US team is typically just whoever won the Olympic trials. Lindland seems to have been something of a special case in that he appealed about a ruling on a takedown and then won a court-ordered rematch to make the team (this was before my time, so there may well be political stuff I don't know about). Cejudo lost 3-0, 5-2, 5-9 for a pretty decisive result to Nick Simmons, who then lost to Sam Hazewinkel (the guy who went to the olympics.)

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

I wore a cup every class and nearly everyone at the school I used to train at did too.

same here, only problem I have ever had was being half in half out of the cup and someone doing a knee slice guard pass. Was not a lot of fun

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I remember training for 6 months before rolling with someone using a cup and being surprised at how much faster an arm-bar got tight if the person was wearing one.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
Hey, I'm looking to get into Judo because my friend has been doing it for a few years and it'd be easier for me to get into a sport(?) if my friend was doing it too. A couple of things: I started doing basic body-weight exercises about 4 months ago and before that I never did any sort of working out. I'm 5'8", 165 and I have Crohn's disease (which shouldn't really matter if I am feeling well enough to go to a practice or match in the first place).

I get the impression that Judo is for bigger guys with lots of muscle, and I've read that small, skinny guys like myself can use the larger opponent's momentum to win. It sounds like bullshit, but is it? Can I succeed with what I see as a size handicap?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Duskfiend posted:

Hey, I'm looking to get into Judo because my friend has been doing it for a few years and it'd be easier for me to get into a sport(?) if my friend was doing it too. A couple of things: I started doing basic body-weight exercises about 4 months ago and before that I never did any sort of working out. I'm 5'8", 165 and I have Crohn's disease (which shouldn't really matter if I am feeling well enough to go to a practice or match in the first place).

I get the impression that Judo is for bigger guys with lots of muscle, and I've read that small, skinny guys like myself can use the larger opponent's momentum to win. It sounds like bullshit, but is it? Can I succeed with what I see as a size handicap?

only fat guys can succeed at judo. i suggest aikido, the real sport to use an opponents momentum against them.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

Marching Powder posted:

only fat guys can succeed at judo. i suggest aikido, the real sport to use an opponents momentum against them.

oh

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

He's trolling.

Just go to training and see how you enjoy it, worrying about hypothetical size issues is overthinking it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
You should go train but your Crohn's actually will be a huge factor with newaza and knee on belly stuff. Listen to your body regarding that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
If you haven't had any surgery yet just double check with your doctor. Those incisions for removing bowel are big if you eventually need that and I doubt you would want to irritate your already angry colon. I say doctor, then do what feels right. Crohns is a bitch.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also judo has weight classes so when you compete your littleness won't be as much of a factor.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Duskfiend posted:

At the absolute top level there are some absolute size freaks (Teddy Riner) but for people doing it for fun it's not that big of a deal. And like others have said there are weight classes. My gym has a 135lb mma fighter that has really slick judo. He's probably 5'4" and walks around at 150. I'm 6'2" 224lbs. Whenever I work standup with him he throws me like the sack of poo poo that I am.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Duskfiend posted:

Like most combat sports, Judo competition is divided into weight classes. It doesn't matter how big you are, go have fun and throw a guy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Also, DOCTOR! See your doctor. Really.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Emergency posted:

Which town do you live in? Last I checked Finland had a pretty healthy grappling scene.

Pori. The judo club I'm in is extremely good and now we have sambo and combat sambo too, so it's a very diverse club. Still, catch or freestyle wrestling would be amazing.

Duskfiend posted:

I have an acid reflux disease myself and can practice hard. It's not the same as Chron's obviously, but still, I have no problems with it when grappling.

There honestly isn't too much size handicap once you get some years under your belt. I'm a 173cm dude with 70kg weight, which translates to 5" 8 and 154lb and I throw less experienced guys around without much effort and get submissions regularely. It's a matter of skill and you get that from training judo. You just have to be more "awake" when the other guy is stronger and agressive, but small guys beating bigger guys is a very real thing. Take the size thing as an challenge, not as an problem.

There is no sweeter feeling when you throw some big fat gently caress to the ground, pin him for minutes at time and submit him by a lazy yawn. It's especially juicy if you have done some extra conditioning and the fat dude just wheezes because he only does deadlifts and bench presses and you just get up ready for more. :smug:

At the same time, some 4"9 100lb fourteen-year old girl doing the same to you will put you in your place. I know a few women who competed in men's heavier weightclasses, so that puts it all to the perspective, at least for me.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Captain Log posted:

If you haven't had any surgery yet just double check with your doctor. Those incisions for removing bowel are big if you eventually need that and I doubt you would want to irritate your already angry colon. I say doctor, then do what feels right. Crohns is a bitch.

You'll be fine I have crohns and a small bowel resectioning and the scars are nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are absorbing your nutrients because you'll need them to recover.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm 6'3" and 215 pounds. There was this girl who was barely five feet tall who could land drop seio nage on me all day no matter what I did to prevent it for my first six months.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've got a small cut on the base of my foot, just below my big toe that's been keeping me from my BJJ class. it's been there since last Monday and still hasn't healed. I've been using plasters & keeping it washed & letting it breath. Is there any more advice you can give re helping a small cut heal and avoiding cuts like this? thanks. it's very frustrating, I'm dying to get back to class but obviously I'll have to wait it out a bit longer. 

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
What kind of patches are you using and how small is small? Not much you can do to avoid small cuts and blisters until your feet get nice and hard... Whenever I get a nasty blisters or a small cut I use Compeed Blister Patches on them during training. They're pretty great since they can take a lot of punishment and still hang on so I don't end up bleeding on the tatami and can continue to train. They can be a bit painful to pull off though and I'm sure the training doesn't help the drat things heal.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
thanks, I'll look into that. the cut's the size of a thumbnail. tiny. but still, I'm new, don't want to be the guy who turns up with the gross foot.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've got a small cut on the base of my foot, just below my big toe that's been keeping me from my BJJ class. it's been there since last Monday and still hasn't healed. I've been using plasters & keeping it washed & letting it breath. Is there any more advice you can give re helping a small cut heal and avoiding cuts like this? thanks. it's very frustrating, I'm dying to get back to class but obviously I'll have to wait it out a bit longer. 

Cuts and other injuries in your toes will always take a long time to heal. It's because of the wear and tear the area takes from walking and the relatively low amount of blood flow it gets due to being literally at the end of your circulatory system.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I signed up for the entry week of Jiu Jitsu and muay thai making this my first time back on the matt in five years at the age of thirty. Pray for my frail old ankles, please.

If they don't have a "wear a gym shirt" requirement which I have seen plenty of gyms have before, I need this -

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I have a stupid question but I'd rather ask you guys than people in a gym I just joined.

I start back tomorrow after five years and I've always sucked at grappling. I know there is a lot of learning to be done but I had a problem before hand I know some of you may have encountered. I'm a 5 foot 11 guy who weights about 190. While I bet ten or fifteen pounds of that is flab that might fall off pretty soon, I'm bigger than most people I ever encounter at the gym. Anytime it comes to practicing takedowns, sweeps, arm bars, etc., I'm always horrified of hurting the other person. I never did contact sports until I got into fencing at seventeen years old. (I know that isn't a contact sport but you certainly hurt your opponent, alot.) Am I just over thinking this? Are people more durable than I give them credit for? I just never went "hard" in grappling because I was convinced I'd end up punting someone in the head or unintentionally hurting someone. I'm just worried I'm going to do more of the same by being timid that my sorta big guy frame might hurt someone.

Or I get paired up with the 300 pound monster who is a positively immovable object that is going to rub his balls on me.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It really depends on the person. If you can feel that you're much stronger then the person, then yeah ease up. People who have been training for a while are probably pretty durable, or at least are used to being beat up on. White belts are a case by case basis. Some of them go too hard, so then it's usually "enjoy this knee on belly". Some go to light, in which case I'll go light but I'll try to teach them that they're not going to hurt me by dropping they're weight and that if they have mount or side control on me it's important for them to make it uncomfortable as possible for me.

For drilling of course you don't want just slam people down or crank on submissions. And knee's to the head and such happens, just apologize and make sure they're ok. Personally I usually just tell them I've been hit harder then that and to keep going.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
for boxing, kickboxing and bjj with each person i'll start light and gradually increase intensity. you can usually tell that way when they're ok with something and when they're not. when you get to know the people at the gym you can cut out the feeling out process.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Ugh, I guess I just need to chill. I worry too much about things. I'm always overly conscious that I'm bigger than my opponents and end up not learning because I'm worried I'll hurt someone.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Yeah, don't worry about this. 5'11" and 180-190 lbs is not that big, anyway. Are you training at an elementary school?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gregor Samsa posted:

Yeah, don't worry about this. 5'11" and 180-190 lbs is not that big, anyway. Are you training at an elementary school?

For real. I am significantly bigger than that and my first three months of BJJ were just trying to avoid getting murdered by little 135lb asian dudes. As long as you're not literally spazzing out and flailing your fists at people or something you probably don't have to worry about injuring anyone in training.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Ugh, I guess I just need to chill. I worry too much about things. I'm always overly conscious that I'm bigger than my opponents and end up not learning because I'm worried I'll hurt someone.

I'm 6'3", 230 and at my previous academy I regularly trained with a tiny woman in her 50s. I never hurt her once, in fact she was tapping me for my first 3 months. You do just need to chill.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Dangersim posted:

Personally I usually just tell them I've been hit harder then that and to keep going.

Haha sorry but why would you say that?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Its not ballet.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I actually have a suggestion for people who spazz/are worried about spazzing, although it's based entirely on i) my experience with Muay Thai and ii) having spent lots of time around Jiu Jitsu dudes while teaching MT in MMA gyms so take it with multiple grains of salt.

Compete. Even if you are terrible, as long as your coach OK's it, sign up for some low level grappling tournament and go compete. This will very quickly force a separation between training and competition, and if you have a problem treating training like some sort of competition and spazzing out, or you actually pay attention to who tapped who on a daily basis, or whatever, I suspect it will stop. You will treat everyday training like the learning exercise it is, and save the competition poo poo for competition.*

Example: I have a friend who is very good at Jiu Jitsu (he's a brown belt under Marcelo Garcia), but has never competed and treats every day of rolling like a competition. This includes keeping track of imaginary points for guard passes and poo poo and then telling me, like I loving care. It also means that he is extremely reluctant to put himself in positions where he's not very good, because that would mean potentially Losing While Training. His development has been slower than it should have been because of this. I have never met anybody who actually competes even semi-regularly who does this, and they are in general always more relaxed and better training partners.

For anybody who also trains MT reading this, my little spiel goes double for you: don't try to take people's heads off in training unless you are prepared to have someone better than you bury their knee in your spleen.

*Of course, there will be days where you train hard as competition preparation or by mutual agreement or whatever. Those are different.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
When I was going to BJJ a 5'11" 190lbs guy was a welcome reprieve from guys who were much bigger than that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
crosspost: getting my forearm tattooed next week. advice for BJJ training, how long should I leave off before going back into it. I train in a gi. thanks.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ICHIBAHN posted:

crosspost: getting my forearm tattooed next week. advice for BJJ training, how long should I leave off before going back into it. I train in a gi. thanks.

Not BJJ but I got a few tats when I was still wrestling and I just wrapped that poo poo with plastic and kept training

Also yea, 5'11 190 ain't poo poo, don't worry about it

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I have a stupid question but I'd rather ask you guys than people in a gym I just joined.

I start back tomorrow after five years and I've always sucked at grappling. I know there is a lot of learning to be done but I had a problem before hand I know some of you may have encountered. I'm a 5 foot 11 guy who weights about 190. While I bet ten or fifteen pounds of that is flab that might fall off pretty soon, I'm bigger than most people I ever encounter at the gym. Anytime it comes to practicing takedowns, sweeps, arm bars, etc., I'm always horrified of hurting the other person. I never did contact sports until I got into fencing at seventeen years old. (I know that isn't a contact sport but you certainly hurt your opponent, alot.) Am I just over thinking this? Are people more durable than I give them credit for? I just never went "hard" in grappling because I was convinced I'd end up punting someone in the head or unintentionally hurting someone. I'm just worried I'm going to do more of the same by being timid that my sorta big guy frame might hurt someone.

Or I get paired up with the 300 pound monster who is a positively immovable object that is going to rub his balls on me.

I am basically your size, and you are over thinking it. If you are concerned that you might be spazzy (and everyone who starts is to a certain extent or another), just remember to breathe lots and focus on using technique over strength. You'll get into bad spots where you panic, do your best to relax as much as possible (this is hard, it gets easier with experience).

People are pretty durable, and any gym worth their salt should put you with some experienced people when you spar for the first time so you won't injure (however unlikely that may be) another new person.

Welcome to the club, my friend. You're going to have a great time!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

I am basically your size, and you are over thinking it. If you are concerned that you might be spazzy (and everyone who starts is to a certain extent or another), just remember to breathe lots and focus on using technique over strength. You'll get into bad spots where you panic, do your best to relax as much as possible (this is hard, it gets easier with experience).

People are pretty durable, and any gym worth their salt should put you with some experienced people when you spar for the first time so you won't injure (however unlikely that may be) another new person.

Welcome to the club, my friend. You're going to have a great time!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm sorta worried about the oppostite from thinking about Muay Thai and some (very little) Jiu Jitsu from when I joined a gym in a different city years ago. I wasn't a spazz as much as I just completely didn't try to win if I was at all concerned about hurting the other person. But like everyone has said very hopefully, I'm just going to chill and try not to die. First genuine physical activity in five years. While I'm lighter and healthy in terms of what I eat (and I quit drinking a while back) I'm painfully out of shape. I just want to actually learn rather than letting myself get pasted out of fear of kneeing someone or something.

Now to pray I don't nerve poo poo on someone.

Also, most depressing moment of the day, going to find my old cup, gym equipment, etc and DUSTING OFF MY OLD WHITE BELT! Yeah, I'm pretty bad rear end.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 9, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Seriously though, I'm curious what type of gym is it where you're big at 5'11? I'm not making the obvious TAM joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Opal posted:

Haha sorry but why would you say that?

You roll with someone, you cop an elbow or knee in the face, it's inadvertent and you didn't really get hurt, so saying something like that to make sure they don't feel bad about it makes sure that you can get on with it. There's nothing worse than someone copping a light knock and the person who did the knocking immediately stopping to see if you're ok - it destroys the flow of the roll and you learn nothing.

Obviously if it was a really solid hit and you start bleeding or your vision goes funny, stop what you're doing and get patched up/checked out.

So,

always be closing posted:

Its not ballet.

yeah.