Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Gensuki posted:

I want to say my story now!

My first draft (M15 two weeks ago) was at an anime convention, and I drafted a green-red deck. I went 2-1, with all three matches being sweeps. I won off of having 18 creatures, my curve basically topping at 3 mana, and everything above that having convoke.

I also drew Overwhelm (?) every game.
you were at an anime con doesnt count
Kidding, did you open any bomb rares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Made Day 2 of the Invitational at 6-2, but I'm sad to report that I couldn't pull the trigger on bringing Breakfast Burrito and instead went with Burn. Turned out to be a really, really good choice but alas.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AnacondaHL posted:

Made Day 2 of the Invitational at 6-2, but I'm sad to report that I couldn't pull the trigger on bringing Breakfast Burrito and instead went with Burn. Turned out to be a really, really good choice but alas.

You dishonor Goons everywhere.

Good.

I'm currently getting ready for the Standard Open tomorrow. I don't think I've felt this uncomfortable about going to a 'convention' of sorts just because of all the prep work I'm doing.

Namely switching out my gold dragon shields for red ones. And doing my decklist. And signing a contract.

This is kind of a first time dealio for me, should I bring lunch or something? I'm packing water and some granola bars so far.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 30, 2014

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

This is kind of a first time dealio for me, should I bring lunch or something? I'm packing water and some granola bars so far.

Make some sandwiches and carry a lunchbox unless you know in advance that there'll be actual food that you can get in less than ten minutes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Count Bleck posted:

You dishonor Goons everywhere.

Good.

I'm currently getting ready for the Standard Open tomorrow. I don't think I've felt this uncomfortable about going to a 'convention' of sorts just because of all the prep work I'm doing.

Namely switching out my gold dragon shields for red ones. And doing my decklist. And signing a contract.

A water bottle is good if you're okay with refilling it at the drinking fountains. You can bring a lunch or eat from the food at the site (expensive-ish but decent selection for convention center food) or there's like a Subway nearby if you can drive to it. But the Standard Open is likely to be 10 rounds (400+ people), so eventually you'll have to get dinner too.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

neetengie posted:

you were at an anime con doesnt count
Kidding, did you open any bomb rares?

I opened a yavimaya coast which I traded for a Skrillex the blight dragon, which feels like a bomb rare.
But not really. I did see a Kalonian twin grove as my potential first pick, but then I saw the Overwhelm... I mean, that wins games! I kept hearing how everyone did 2 color in m15 drafts, so I figured I couldn't count on being mono green, and 6 mana for 2 3/3s didn't sound too appealing.

My deck was stuff like...
Borderland marauder
goblin rough rider
invasive species
Living Totem

And then I had some walls of fire and mulch for some awful reason...

The biggest thing I had was Will forged Golem

My winning packs had a Soul of Innistrad and a shiny Gobin Kaboomist though!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nice part about Overwhelm though is that your walls can still potentially contribute to the spell. Sounds like it was a solid deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Went 3-2 at FNM, losing to RW Burn and GW Aggro . The GW Aggro loss in particular was bad as I had a large Scavenging Ooze out and he had a Boon Satyr-Bestow'd Voice of Resurgence Elemental Token (:words:) out and we were racing; he kept topdecking Call of the Conclave for blockers and I needed a single. loving. Removal. Spell. Counting Golgari Charm, I had eleven cards left in my deck at that point that could have won me the game had I drawn any of them:

-3 Hero's Downfall
-2 Golgari Charm
-4 Abrupt Decay
-2 Putrefy

But no, I drew lands for five turns instead. :sigh:

Overall I had fun and it's encouraging to see the deck do so well against Aggro (well, most of the time anyways...) and in particular GR Monsters, which early on had been a poor matchup. I'm now 4-0 against the deck over two weeks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mikujin posted:

Yes.

E: When you Mindslaver someone, be sure to look at their sideboard, use anything that tutors to check out their deck, waste any resources they have, then tap out and pass.

Don't forget to use the Magic Store & Event Locator at Wizards.com/Locator to find tournaments in their area.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dr. Stab posted:

Don't forget to use the Magic Store & Event Locator at Wizards.com/Locator to find tournaments in their area.
I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. 'Slaver lets you view all cards your opponent can, which includes their sideboard. If he's playing modern in a competitive scene it gives him boatloads of information regarding his own mainboard/sideboard tech. Utilizing tutors to check out their deck can also give you insight into what exactly they're playing, including deviations from the norm if they're playing a run-of-the-mill deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

He wasn't being sarcastic either. We discussed searching for magic events online due to some ruling or event a few weeks ago.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I know. I was being sarcastic. Though, it is a real thing that the rules allow you to do. If it's at comp rel, where electronic devices are forbidden, ask a judge to allow you to use the gameplay action detailed in rule 100.6b.

e:

Chill la Chill posted:

He wasn't being sarcastic either. We discussed searching for magic events online due to some ruling or event a few weeks ago.

I am actually sarcastic. Don't earnestly follow my advice.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Went 3-1-1 with my pseudo-block-constructed White Heroic deck at FNM.

Lost round 1 to Jund monsters. I steamrolled him game 1, then he managed to play an unholy amount of Stormbreath Dragons and I didn't draw a single Brave or Gods Willing for 5+ turns straight in both games 2 and 3.

Beat B/W Midrange in Round 2, mostly because he got screwed on mana.

Beat a Mardu aggro list Round 3. It was a funky Goblin Rabblemaster-based deck with Spark Trooper and Athreos, but I was simply too fast and gaining too much life.

Tied with U/W control round 4. I crushed him game 1, got ground out hardcore game 2 (I was on 71 life when I conceded), then we both completely forgot that I had a Phyrexian Revoker naming Elspeth in game 3, didn't notice for several turns, and decided to call it a draw rather than finagle over it.

Beat mono-G devotion round 5. Another game 1 steamroll into a game 2 grind-out, followed by a concession in game 3 when he wasn't dead? He could have slapped my Ajani down a fair amount of life with his mana dorks, but I think he was burnt out after an intense mirror last round and we were all pretty tired (close to midnight).

Pretty good for a pile of $2 rares and commons people would throw away after a draft.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Whoa, what just made Keranos spike again? Is just the idea of it being played as a one-of in a Legacy make it move that much?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Went 3-1-1 with my pseudo-block-constructed White Heroic deck at FNM.

Lost round 1 to Jund monsters. I steamrolled him game 1, then he managed to play an unholy amount of Stormbreath Dragons and I didn't draw a single Brave or Gods Willing for 5+ turns straight in both games 2 and 3.

Beat B/W Midrange in Round 2, mostly because he got screwed on mana.

Beat a Mardu aggro list Round 3. It was a funky Goblin Rabblemaster-based deck with Spark Trooper and Athreos, but I was simply too fast and gaining too much life.

Tied with U/W control round 4. I crushed him game 1, got ground out hardcore game 2 (I was on 71 life when I conceded), then we both completely forgot that I had a Phyrexian Revoker naming Elspeth in game 3, didn't notice for several turns, and decided to call it a draw rather than finagle over it.

Beat mono-G devotion round 5. Another game 1 steamroll into a game 2 grind-out, followed by a concession in game 3 when he wasn't dead? He could have slapped my Ajani down a fair amount of life with his mana dorks, but I think he was burnt out after an intense mirror last round and we were all pretty tired (close to midnight).

Pretty good for a pile of $2 rares and commons people would throw away after a draft.

I think I sat next to you round 1 - I went 3-2 playing B/G constellation at what I think was this FNM

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

GoutPatrol posted:

Whoa, what just made Keranos spike again? Is just the idea of it being played as a one-of in a Legacy make it move that much?

He's also seeing play as a win-con in UWR control, both in Modern and Standard. He's one of the best ways to spend 5 mana in U/R right now. (In addition to the always-stable casual appeal, etc.)

Mondrian posted:

I think I sat next to you round 1 - I went 3-2 playing B/G constellation at what I think was this FNM

Good Games in Brisbane? There's no shortage of jank mono-white Heroic decks and players out there, I'm sure. :)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ungulateman posted:

Can you tell me anything else about this wrb aggro deck? Because that sounds awesome! Any pre-eminent captains shooting spark troopers out (they are soldiers)

I had the best feeling ever earlier on the week playing my Selesnyaggro against Azorius control. I beat the control player to 5 mana while I had 2 fleecemane lions out. Opponent went for the quicken + verdict, so I just monstrous'd a fleecemane in response and that's pretty much gg for the control player. Oh god so good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ungulateman posted:

He's also seeing play as a win-con in UWR control, both in Modern and Standard. He's one of the best ways to spend 5 mana in U/R right now. (In addition to the always-stable casual appeal, etc.)

Oh, I know he's good. That's why I bought a playset of him, fast. I built my own deck around him (basically the Mono U shell splashing for him and Goblin Electromancer.) I just didn't know how his price tripled basically in a week.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
So what time do we get PAX spoilers?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

ungulateman posted:

Good Games in Brisbane? There's no shortage of jank mono-white Heroic decks and players out there, I'm sure. :)

Yup. My deck generally does well because of main-deck Grim Guardians as blockers, plus Bile Blight and Hero's Downfalls against all of the aggro that seems to be in that meta, and then I can side in Drown in Sorrows as well if I need.

I lost to UW control and GR monsters, both matches I got horribly mana screwed and didn't get off 2 mana. I beat Junk midrange, Izzet midrange and mono-white aggro.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

RubberJohnny posted:

The Magic panel runs from 1:30 to 2:30 EST, so probably around then.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

RubberJohnny posted:

The PAX party is tonight at 7PM PDT (about 12 hours from this post), the worldbuilding panel is tomorrow at 1:30pm PDT.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I'm spending my PAX day today with a bunch of MTG. If you didn't know there's a $30 sealed at 1pm which pays out top prize of a foil Modern Masters set. So, that's value. Plus I have Twin for modern if I feel stupid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just read Maro's post from Monday, because I'm behind on magic stuff now that my job doesn't revolve around it anymore, and holy dick I am actually excited to see how the switch to two-set blocks affects the game. THis is interesting.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

The PAX party is tonight at 7PM PDT (about 12 hours from this post), the worldbuilding panel is tomorrow at 1:30pm PDT.

Will that be up anywhere, or should people rely on goon spoils?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gensuki posted:

People will be posting stuff from the party on social media etc. but the worldbuilding panel will be streamed (as well as presumably uploaded to WotC's Youtube account some time next week)

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Gensuki posted:

I'll be at the party, trying to live tweet stuff. You can follow me at @RevEnFuego, or usually just follow the #PAX or #PAXPRIME2014 hashtags.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Applebees posted:

This is my favourite LSV moment from Spellslingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artBJGT7MrQ&t=1293s

"If you want, you can take it back. Nah, I'm just kidding."

Ahahahahaha I legitimately burst out laughing. LSV owns

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Was just looking at the price history of Snapcaster Mage and found it spiked sharply with the release of Born if the Gods, anyone know why?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Wasn't that when DRS was banned in modern?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ah, that's probably it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was just looking at the price history of Snapcaster Mage and found it spiked sharply with the release of Born if the Gods, anyone know why?

Also PT BNG was Modern. Modern staples spike in price when Modern season starts. Mox Opal jumped around the same time and Affinity don't give no hoots about DRS.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

People will be posting stuff from the party on social media etc. but the worldbuilding panel will be streamed (as well as presumably uploaded to WotC's Youtube account some time next week)

Yeah, the social media stuff will end up in this thread. If no one else is posting 'em, I will.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

GoutPatrol posted:

OK here's babby's first speculation:

I think pretty much everything in Standard that is enemy coloured is poised to spike, as well as anything that helps get around colour requirements. Every allied colour pair only goes in one wedge, but each enemy pair is in two wedges (so Keranos could be played in both the UWR and RUG wedges). I especially think anything blue-green is golden, as it's a hugely popular casual colour combination, and will be playable in both BUG and RUG decks in standard.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Andrew Jessup was Bident hitting for 5 and so he drew like 15 more cards than Reid Duke, but Reid played as perfect as you'd expect The Best Player In The World to play and managed to win with Gr Devotion. That was a game 1 worth finding when they post the archive and watching. SCG Invitational Round 16.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Reid Duke managed to eke out a win from a certain loss, and then converted a small mana advantage into the most crushing victory imaginable. He's pretty good.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Reid Duke managed to eke out a win from a certain loss, and then converted a small mana advantage into the most crushing victory imaginable. He's pretty good.

Pretty good is an understatement. I want to be Reid Duke when I grow up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

He's not running his Bard Brew again?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

1-4, felt like a chump. :sigh:

I'll try again in a month..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

He's not running his Bard Brew again?

No, it was G/R devotion and holy poo poo he was making amazing plays all weekend. There was another game yesterday where he had Domri and Gen Hydra in hand and a Xenagos out, opponent had Pack Rat with Mutavault activation up. The obvious play would've been to cast Domri and minus to trade Satyr token and rat. Instead Reid taps out for Hydra, because he knows that if he hits just one creature, he can then +1 Xenagos for exact mana to cast Domri and fight the rat with the Hydra, thus saving a creature.

Which he does. Because he's awesome.

Edit: The moment I described is HERE at 5:24:50.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread