Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Actually talking about gunfeel, the DD44 was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I like gunplay which leaves you a bit vulnerable since it greatly adds to the tension. The first gunfight in STALKER SoC was great because your guns were complete poo poo and reloading took forever and it had you scrambling to get a victory. Far Cry 2 also was amazing, not only for the variety but also when your guns jam and oh gently caress you have to unjam it right loving now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79mwfOhtLCI

Also, how the foliage reacted to volleys of gunfire was amazing. Severely underrated game.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Jehde posted:

Actually, I think gun feel was half the problem (and I completely disagree about the DD44!). None of the automatic weapons feel as good as the KF7 or the AR33/RCP90 (which feel more or less identical). And none of the pistols feel as good as the PP7 (the magnum feels good though, but I tend to only use it if I'm out of KF7 ammo and need something powerful).

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

My favorite part of this gif is the pain elemental in the big circular room spitting out the lost soul, which you can see flying toward the player.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bouchacha posted:

I like gunplay which leaves you a bit vulnerable since it greatly adds to the tension. The first gunfight in STALKER SoC was great because your guns were complete poo poo and reloading took forever and it had you scrambling to get a victory. Far Cry 2 also was amazing, not only for the variety but also when your guns jam and oh gently caress you have to unjam it right loving now.

Also, how the foliage reacted to volleys of gunfire was amazing. Severely underrated game.

It also gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
What I missed in Far Cry 2 was for the enemies to have their guns jamming to. Would even out the unlimited amounts of ammo they had.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Jehde posted:

Pro-tier opinion right here. The dostovei might be the most satisfying pistol to use in a first person shooter. akimbo ZMGs in the final level were also great. For as many stock sound effects that goldeneye used, the weapons felt really good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvilGenius posted:

I felt there were too many weapons in GoldenEye, more than I remember actually http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_%26_Gadgets

I probably use about 50% of those. The DD45 is no better than the PP7. The Klobb is inferior to the KF7, which are everywhere. Some of those I don't even remember. Why would anyone bother with timed mines when you have proximity mines and grenades?

Many of the weapons were intentionally for use only in specific sections, since Bond rarely carried weapons over between levels. Made sense that since the movie and game were both set over multiple time periods and areas that there'd be weapon differences.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nifty release today. The Adventures Of Square: Episode 1 (Squareware Edition).

Bit of an all-star team behind this one, including Xaser. It's silly and pretty good from what I've played so far. It's also a standalone release, packaged with a pre-configured version of ZDoom, although I just took the PK3 file and ran it through GZDoom for extra graphical niceness.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 30, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

Bit of an all-star team behind this one, including Xaser. It's silly and pretty good from what I've played so far. It's also a standalone release, packaged with a pre-configured version of ZDoom, although I just took the PK3 file and ran it through GZDoom for extra graphical niceness.

Just came here to post this. It's cute and fun.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are there any good campaigns or good deathmatch levels out on the workshop right now for Duke 3d?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: Ignore this

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 30, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bouchacha posted:

I loved this about Far Cry 2. The disposability of weapons was something I'd never really experienced in a game before. It make firefights really tense.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Half Life had the best grenades, they sounded great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Too bad they were loving garbage to use. Not nearly as bad as Doom 3's though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I rarely have luck with grenades in any game unless they explode on impact and are fired from a barrel. I'm just bad at parabolas basically.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chinook posted:

I rarely have luck with grenades in any game unless they explode on impact and are fired from a barrel. I'm just bad at parabolas basically.

I feel like HL2's cylindrical hand grenades were particular "squirrely", but I cannot remember.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Chinook posted:

I'm good at the parabola part, but I'm awful at timing. Most games with timed grenades I can hit someone in the face with it, but then it'll bounce off and blow up 3 seconds later a half mile away.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Half-life's grenade physics are funny, especially when you try to throw one whole running backwards :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chinook posted:

Timed grenades are squirrelly and lovely in pretty much every game because they act like rubber balls in crappy physics engines. They work a lot better in games that give them actual weight but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Games where hand grenades don't have lovely rubber-ball-physics are games that generally have good hand grenades. Grenades are usually heavy as poo poo (for their size), so I don't know where it came from that they should bounce like 50-cent machine rubber balls.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tribes Ascend had amazing hand grenades. I'd gotten the timing on the Soldier's frags down as such that I could throw them against slopes I was sliding towards and accurately have them bounce up behind me and airburst, killing whomever was pursuing me.

Edit: it's also perfectly acceptable that they bounce because you're throwing them while traveling at over a hundred miles an hour :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Games where hand grenades don't have lovely rubber-ball-physics are games that generally have good hand grenades. Grenades are usually heavy as poo poo (for their size), so I don't know where it came from that they should bounce like 50-cent machine rubber balls.

Best guess: the foley session where they use an empty soup can to get the sound… :v:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Perfect Dark is the exception to the hand grenade rule.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What's the origin of bouncy grenades in FPSs? The first I can think of is Quake 1, and the bounceyness was just perfect for bouncing death around corners and killing bad guys before they even knew you were there.

I'm not sure it would have been possible to code them in that way in a 2.5d engine like Doom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

I'm not sure it would have been possible to code them in that way in a 2.5d engine like Doom.

It's real easy to code them that way in the source ports, so it's not an actual engine limitation. The ports have had a lot of work done on them to expand the scripting options but it's still the same engine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

What's the origin of bouncy grenades in FPSs? The first I can think of is Quake 1, and the bounceyness was just perfect for bouncing death around corners and killing bad guys before they even knew you were there.

None of the Quake games have super bouncy grenades though, and I think in Quake 1 their bounces are mostly predetermined. The Pipebombs in Duke 3D do bounce semi-randomly, and most other 3D games with a grenade launcher either has them bounce randomly or just detonate on impact.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Shadow Warrior's grenades bounced sensibly if I remember right, and bouncing dynamite around was vital in Blood.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I don't think it really took off until physics engines became a core component of… well, everything.

I agree that Quake's grenades weren't really bouncy in that sense — they just didn't explode on impact. I'm trying to remember how HL1 and CS grenades behaved, but I can't recall them being made out of rubber either. Quake 2 was close, but I always felt those bounced too little to be useful.

Were there any Q3-generation games that went nuts with their grenades?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

This game is fun and wacky and well designed. Play it! The puns are magical in their terribleness. "What's wrong, can't take the paint?!"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Tippis posted:

I don't think it really took off until physics engines became a core component of… well, everything.

I agree that Quake's grenades weren't really bouncy in that sense — they just didn't explode on impact. I'm trying to remember how HL1 and CS grenades behaved, but I can't recall them being made out of rubber either. Quake 2 was close, but I always felt those bounced too little to be useful.

Were there any Q3-generation games that went nuts with their grenades?

I'm pretty sure the hand grenades in SOF2 were so bouncy as to be completely useless in combat. In the Q2 based first game they just detonated when they hit something. The ones in RTCW barely bounced on the other hand, just sorta shuffling an extra foot from where they landed.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This game is fun and wacky and well designed. Play it! The puns are magical in their terribleness. "What's wrong, can't take the paint?!"
Okay, now I MUST play this WAD. Terrible puns are always good. A quality WAD is just the icing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Seconding the quality of Adventures Of Square. It's Doom-ish, but it has a feel of its own. The enemies and weapons are all just different enough to feel fresh, and the choice to have enemies just explode into a cloud of paint is like having all the fun of gore with none of the moral qualms.

It's pretty much Chex Quest 2014.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Timed grenades are squirrelly and lovely in pretty much every game because they act like rubber balls in crappy physics engines. They work a lot better in games that give them actual weight but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Call of Duty does them pretty well I think. They hit the ground and maybe roll forward a bit usually. Later games even have grenades roll down slopes giving you even more exciting ways to off yourself!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

Exactly.

I only wish its menu theme was It's Hip To Be Square.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The biggest difference between Adventures of Square and Chex Quest is that it's designed for grown-up gamers. It's genuinely tough on hard mode. TONS of enemies in the first level - even with decent accuracy, I ended up finishing with barely any ammo left.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Dominic White posted:

They just need to work out some sort of sponsorship deal with, like, Sherwin-Williams.

But, yeah, I'm also having a good time with it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
F.E.A.R. has the best grenades ever in a game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

F.E.A.R. has the best grenades ever in a game.

I love how the enemies scream obscenities when you chuck one. Active the bullet time you can hear something along the lines of "HOLY gently caress A GRENADE" in glorious slo-mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

The biggest difference between Adventures of Square and Chex Quest is that it's designed for grown-up gamers. It's genuinely tough on hard mode. TONS of enemies in the first level - even with decent accuracy, I ended up finishing with barely any ammo left.

On UV it's a bitch. The monsters don't seem to infight, which makes a huge difference.