Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Yes and Slavic peoples have never been hosed over by governments and thus have a deep abiding trust in states and treaties.

Hey, now! It's not like any such treaty was recently thrown away because one signatory completely overlooked it and the other two just stood around rolling their eyes and whistling, or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

To be fair, Poland did kick Russia's rear end in WW1, their military record is not completely full of defeat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not doggin Poland, not a lot you can do when you are sandwiched between Europes two most belligerent powers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gail Wynand posted:

To be fair, Poland did kick Russia's rear end in WW1, their military record is not completely full of defeat.

During WW1 Poland was partially in Germany, partially in Austria-Hungary and partially in Russia, and the Germans had already driven the Russians to collapse before the Polish state formed.

The short lived Kingdom of Poland was a puppet state for Germany within the Polish-ethnic areas of conquered Russia during the war. And it had a ton of forced Polish labor and seizure of property goin' on.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying think pieces on how boring baseball is

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I didn't know the blindingly obvious inspired think pieces. :v:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've got good friends and business partners in Poland and, yeah, they're not thrilled. In classic Polish fashion they have a dark sense of humor about the whole deal, though. The punchline to the latest joke was something like, "If the Germans invade, don't resist this time."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

paragon1 posted:

I didn't know the blindingly obvious inspired think pieces. :v:

The one I read decided baseball was in decline because no one knows what Mike Trout looks like (tbf, I did not know what Mike Trout looked like)

In reality it's because a game can be halfway over at 10 pm and no one has time for that poo poo

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

During WW1 Poland was partially in Germany, partially in Austria-Hungary and partially in Russia, and the Germans had already driven the Russians to collapse before the Polish state formed.

The short lived Kingdom of Poland was a puppet state for Germany within the Polish-ethnic areas of conquered Russia during the war. And it had a ton of forced Polish labor and seizure of property goin' on.
Sorry, I meant after WW1.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I think we should just stop talking about european wars, like everyone should agree to do this. Unless it is pre-gunpowder european war because massed pikes are crazy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They still did the massed pikes thing for a few centuries after gunpowder came along, actually. Everything post-Maxim gun maybe?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
OH gently caress HERE IT IS IT'S HERE

PUSH YOUR STICKS INTO THE OTHER MEN

DIE OF SEPSIS

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Some weirdly detailed faces in that picture.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There were endless hand-drawn versions of what we think of today as Powerpoints depicting massed pike tactics for gaining superiority in a confrontation with the enemy by the massed pike industrial complex.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
From what I gather a pushing match between massed formations of pike men was usually such a poo poo show a fair amount of the time they just stood around and shouted ineffectually at each other while the gunners and cavalry dueled each other.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Throw in some dudes with arquebuses and you've got a good look at the future of Early Modern Warfare.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I've just noticed something- in The Divide, Taibbi seems to like adding asides in parentheses, followed by a "more on this later".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gail Wynand posted:

Sorry, I meant after WW1.

honestly though the ww1 German/Austrian Polish puppet state was an interesting entity, being as it was a fairly good model for the kind of stuff the Nazis would later get up to in Poland in WWII. they definitely didn't get as far as the death camps and mass executions, but the massive forced labor was there in force, as well as beginnings of plans to fully germanize the polish ethnic sections already within Germany/Austria and force the poles there to move into the subject "Polish Kingdom".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

honestly though the ww1 German/Austrian Polish puppet state was an interesting entity, being as it was a fairly good model for the kind of stuff the Nazis would later get up to in Poland in WWII. they definitely didn't get as far as the death camps and mass executions, but the massive forced labor was there in force, as well as beginnings of plans to fully germanize the polish ethnic sections already within Germany/Austria and force the poles there to move into the subject "Polish Kingdom".

drat you fishmech what did I just say? A european gunwar is the heart of boredom

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReindeerF posted:

I've got good friends and business partners in Poland and, yeah, they're not thrilled. In classic Polish fashion they have a dark sense of humor about the whole deal, though. The punchline to the latest joke was something like, "If the Germans invade, don't resist this time."

My Polish friends are from Poznan, they're good at collaborating with Germans.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, anytime I hear about them working on something with the Germans I make sure to use various forms of the word collaborate. It's endlessly entertaining. Worse jokes follow, of course.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, anytime I hear about them working on something with the Germans I make sure to use various forms of the word collaborate. It's endlessly entertaining. Worse jokes follow, of course.

How bad are they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0geS_JbCIKk

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, that was pretty Goddamn awful. I mean it's Jones hamming it up, so I couldn't resist, of course.

EDIT: West Wing trivia. My name is ReindeerF and I work at the White House. I'm up to the start of Season 4 now, two of my favorite episodes in the series, Twenty Hours In America (Parts I & II). Anyway, the trivia is that I hadn't remembered that the farmer's daughter is Amy Adams, the first time I recall seeing her (I'm sure she acted previously), and it's also the first time, in retrospect, I recall seeing John Gallagher. #BartletChat #WhatsNext

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 30, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Baseball owns. Mike Trout looks just like a giant trout wielding a hunk of wood would look like.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A goon made up Mike Trout's nickname (the millville meteor) because people were comparing him to Mickey Mantle (the commerce comet) early on during his rookie season, edited his wikipedia page with some bullshit links as a reference for the name and then replaced them with references to articles that used the wikipedia page as sources for his nickname when journalists started using it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i love dicks

death to israel

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

i love dicks

death to israel

You're the probation version of IWC... :stare:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

Haha, that was pretty Goddamn awful. I mean it's Jones hamming it up, so I couldn't resist, of course.

EDIT: West Wing trivia. My name is ReindeerF and I work at the White House. I'm up to the start of Season 4 now, two of my favorite episodes in the series, Twenty Hours In America (Parts I & II). Anyway, the trivia is that I hadn't remembered that the farmer's daughter is Amy Adams, the first time I recall seeing her (I'm sure she acted previously), and it's also the first time, in retrospect, I recall seeing John Gallagher. #BartletChat #WhatsNext

Wow that's a hell of a choice for favorite episodes of the series. Josh, Toby, and Donna wandering around Indiana is great for the interplay between them but eh on the rest of it. Toby and Josh's whole authenticity exchange is great, though.

(The best episode is Celestial Navigation.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm sorry bad moon rising is the best episode if only for the opener in Babish's office with the tape recorder.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How SHOCKING that Celestial Navigation is your favorite. It is a great episode, but you people are so predictable.

By you people I mean Lawyers with a strong interest in the Supreme Court, of course.

Anyway, the interplay is great, but so are all the time zone gimmicks and the people who couldn't care less about who they are. And Matt, the dad at the bar at the end. Come on, that's great stuff. "Didn't vote for him the first time, don't plan to the second." It's not my favorite episode, though. That's actually In The Shadow of Two Gunmen Parts I & II for personal reasons. 17 People is maybe the best dramatically.

EDIT:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm sorry bad moon rising is the best episode if only for the opener in Babish's office with the tape recorder.
Yeah, that whole run is great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think as long as your favorite episode isn't Isaac and Ishmael you're probably okay.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pope Guilty posted:

I think as long as your favorite episode isn't Isaac and Ishmael you're probably okay.
I refuse to acknowledge it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
20 Hours in America is the correct best episode.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I prefer listening to the Nixon tapes over watching the West Wing. The humor is much more subtle and less intended, and quite sharp at times.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i've yet to see any evidence to the contrary that aaron sorkin is the sole conservative in america who actually understands satire

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

My Imaginary GF posted:

I prefer listening to the Nixon tapes over watching the West Wing. The humor is much more subtle and less intended, and quite sharp at times.
:agesilaus:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

i've yet to see any evidence to the contrary that aaron sorkin is the sole conservative in america who actually understands satire

Isnt he responsible for that HBO show, Network or something?

E:

Counterpoint: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TivVcfSBVSM

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 30, 2014

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Bob James posted:

Christians infect themselves by consuming the blood of Christ. It's really unsanitary.

Transubstantiation is strictly a Catholic/Orthodox deal, so Protestants are in the clear disease-wise. Except possibly the Anglicans.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you go back in time a number of years I'm like the original forum quoter of that section. It's hysterical. Still, it's one of a few funny tidbits. When Nixon was on his soapbox and his aides were riling him up he was hilarious, but most of the time he was just craven and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nixon: I mean, you’ve got to stop at a certain point. Why is it that the girls don’t swear? Because a man, when he swears, people can’t tolerate a girl who is a—

Haldeman: Girls do swear.

Nixon: Huh?

Haldeman: They do now.

• Locked thread