Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Parallax Scroll posted:

no the whole thing

ultra pretentious snobs versus ultra wise rear end slobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

no the whole thing

a jilted ex leaked a bunch of stuff about some nobody indie game dev being caught up in a long series of sex scandals and the knee-jerk response of video game media people was to try and bully the entire internet into not talking about it at all, which backfired

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Parallax Scroll posted:

some girl made a depression game and hosed some dudes? what else happened

vidya journalism got exposed for nepotist crooks, -isms and -ists got throw around and now vidya journalism is going full chernobyl

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ave Azaria posted:

it's a woman deciding how to dress herself vs. a game designer creating a womanpuppet to jerk teenage boys off with

You know what 3d game characters are just elaborate puppets and are not supposed to be real people, welcome to reality.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

notorious accused SJW wil wheaton got his syfy show cancelled

now he's being cucked by castle

what a life

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Parallax Scroll posted:

someone summarize this poo poo

And then they both get wasted by Animal Mother.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Parallax Scroll posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxeFwmGnSs

The best summery that I could find.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

shame on you video game journalism

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Taint Reaper posted:

You know what 3d game characters are just elaborate puppets and are not supposed to be real people, welcome to reality.

but what if a woman designed them :inception:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Ave Azaria posted:

it's a woman deciding how to dress herself vs. a game designer creating a womanpuppet to jerk teenage boys off with

Excuse me, but my character has a fully fleshed out backstory and realistic motivations for wanting to dress like a street walker.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

poptart_fairy posted:

but what if a woman designed them :inception:

They do on a regular basis.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Parallax Scroll posted:

some "indie game dev" (whos made 1 game that is a text adventure web page) hosed some dudes while dating someone else. Then 4chan threw a fit because a woman did something bad in videogames and used it as a springboard for all sorts of sexist harassment thus turning this into another debate about women in videogames and sexist manbabies when it should have just been some industry people saying "drat, zoe seems like a sack of poo poo guess i wont work with her anymore" and moving on.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

indeed but it's still sad

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
At this point why is anyone entering this discussion publicly? It's basically sticking your toe in The Bog of Eternal Stench.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Parallax Scroll posted:

some girl made a depression game and hosed some dudes? what else happened

an indie dev made poo poo up about wizardchan, an imageboard full of terminally depressed people, attacking her for being a woman, which got massive coverage on gaming sites going on a witch hunt against users of said board, getting her barely-a-game greenlit on steam

turns out only 2 posts had been made on the entire imageboard relating not to her, but to her game

then some dude who dated her says she hosed 5 guys, all influential figures in gaming journalism, behind his back

some of these figures were part of a gaming journalism campaign to tear down a games jam event, just coincidentally so as she was starting her own games jam, with no info on how things would be handled at all, and the donations linking to her personal paypal account

she also got her twitter army to take down a feminist video games charity, TFYC, which would later be resurrected by big bad misogynyst /v/, along with literally tens of thousands of dollars in donations

now that the lid has been blown wide open on how corrupt and poo poo games journalism is, people who were just weeks before trying their hardest to make video games look like the most legit art thing in the world to pass themselves off as legit journalists are posting about how games are unimportant poo poo and that they thus don't need to adhere to any of the standards actual journalists have to adhere to because they are merely mirthful bloggers, prone to the odd foolishness or two

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Germstore posted:

At this point why is anyone entering this discussion publicly? It's basically sticking your toe in The Bog of Eternal Stench.

for fun and profit

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Germstore posted:

Entitlement.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I like where this is going. Let's see it spread. Maybe Tumblr will collapse. Maybe we will all be free.

Only tangentially related, but connected to the whole "let's quote MLK" thing, do any SJW's actually have a specific target they want to destroy, a la Jim Crow laws? Like, MLK did marches and speeches and lots of rhetoric, but his movement's goal--at least short term--was the abolishment of Jim Crow, right? To take down actual laws of the land that were actively oppressing black people.

Women on tweeter and poo poo who talk about being oppressed in general, and then video games in particular--what specific things do they want to target? Sarkeesian literally has no point, we've basically all come to agree on that--she is, if anything, just making a point of picking out all things that don't fly with feminism as she defines it and making videos about it. And a lot of developers are listening--like, on twitter or whatever the Saint's Row guy agreed with her critique of the games (although SR2 isn't particularly misogynistic at all, you can absolutely BE a pimping fat black woman if yu want). Quinn isn't even a feminist critic, she makes one game and bitches about everything. But she is at least considered a developer--so what is she developing, to address her concerns? What are any of these people actually DOING, besides complaining on social media? And what are they even complaining about, what system of oppression do they want actually changed? Is there any? Is there even anything that they want besides getting people fired for offending them or attacking those who hold different beliefs and opinions?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
4chan harassing zoe has probably actually worked to her benefit since it's been so virulent that lots of people have taken her side when before they probably should have gone drat thats hosed up, zoe's a bad person.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Parallax Scroll posted:

The Brown Menace posted:

basically people who literally write words about video games for a living, and nothing else, consider video games to be too lame for their time and attention

this should give you some perspective about their sense of self-importance and sense of respect for you

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I like where this is going. Let's see it spread. Maybe Tumblr will collapse. Maybe we will all be free.

Only tangentially related, but connected to the whole "let's quote MLK" thing, do any SJW's actually have a specific target they want to destroy, a la Jim Crow laws? Like, MLK did marches and speeches and lots of rhetoric, but his movement's goal--at least short term--was the abolishment of Jim Crow, right? To take down actual laws of the land that were actively oppressing black people.

Women on tweeter and poo poo who talk about being oppressed in general, and then video games in particular--what specific things do they want to target? Sarkeesian literally has no point, we've basically all come to agree on that--she is, if anything, just making a point of picking out all things that don't fly with feminism as she defines it and making videos about it. And a lot of developers are listening--like, on twitter or whatever the Saint's Row guy agreed with her critique of the games (although SR2 isn't particularly misogynistic at all, you can absolutely BE a pimping fat black woman if yu want). Quinn isn't even a feminist critic, she makes one game and bitches about everything. But she is at least considered a developer--so what is she developing, to address her concerns? What are any of these people actually DOING, besides complaining on social media? And what are they even complaining about, what system of oppression do they want actually changed? Is there any? Is there even anything that they want besides getting people fired for offending them or attacking those who hold different beliefs and opinions?

You do realise this how opinions are changed right? Complaining until people acquiesce and cultural norms change.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've been listening to \v\ The Musical thanks to this thread and it's p drat awesome. Who knew something good could come from the reddit community.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Germstore posted:

Because video game journalists have an inflated sense of their own importance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If gamers are dead, am I a zombie now?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

rainy day posted:

some "indie game dev" (whos made 1 game that is a text adventure web page) hosed some dudes while dating someone else. Then 4chan threw a fit because a woman did something bad in videogames and used it as a springboard for all sorts of sexist harassment thus turning this into another debate about women in videogames and sexist manbabies when it should have just been some industry people saying "drat, zoe seems like a sack of poo poo guess i wont work with her anymore" and moving on.

lol yeah just some dudes

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

rainy day posted:

4chan harassing zoe has probably actually worked to her benefit since it's been so virulent that lots of people have taken her side when before they probably should have gone drat thats hosed up, zoe's a bad person.

Except journalist buddies can't openly or as often hawk her lovely games anymore. Eventually this poo poo will blow over and her temporary allies will stop giving her money just to exist, like in a couple months at most.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rainy day posted:

4chan is so virulently sexist they donated not thousands, but tens of thousands of dollars to a feminist video games charity

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Because video game journalists have an inflated sense of their own importance.

In all fairness, most journalists do. Game journalists somehow manage to be even worse.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You do realise this how opinions are changed right? Complaining until people acquiesce and cultural norms change.

I think the whole movement is a response to the feeling during the Bush years that we barely had enough of a voter base to keep abortions legal and pursue gay marriage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Jesus Christ, re-read that twitter discussion. Someone quoted MLK on pacifism and love thy enemy approach because a 'game blogger' said you can't be nice to gamers, who are basically KKK. You've just written all this arguing with no one. Stop posting.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gravefront posted:

In all fairness, most journalists do. Game journalists somehow manage to be even worse.

I think there is a name for that in pyschology. Where a person with low self-esteem will bluster more to cover up for it.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Gravefront posted:

"videogame journalism" is a universal laughingstock/in-joke among actual journalists and I even had some college profs use Kotaku during lessons on exactly how to not ever write

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

like drat son there isn't a pipe big enough to smoke the fact that 4chan did more to advance the cause of feminism than 99.9% of people accusing them of being neckbearded sexist virgin shitlords who hate all women in

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Paladinus posted:

Jesus Christ, re-read that twitter discussion. Someone quoted MLK on pacifism and love thy enemy approach because a 'game blogger' said you can't be nice to gamers, who are basically KKK. You've just written all this arguing with no one. Stop posting.

No, you.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Brown Menace posted:

like drat son there isn't a pipe big enough to smoke the fact that 4chan did more to advance the cause of feminism than 99.9% of people accusing them of being neckbearded sexist virgin shitlords who hate all women in

4chan can do pretty much anything they set their mind to so long as you tell them it's the key to bringing hitler back from the dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mind the walrus posted:

Why is this distinction never ever made in the minds of either side?

media analysis is hard

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

4chan can do pretty much anything they set their mind to so long as you tell them it's the key to bringing hitler back from the dead

which is funny because people are, in this very thread, accusing them of also co-opting MLK

goddamn 4chan, those black people-hating nazi MLK fans and sexist, woman-hating feminist cause patrons

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

rainy day posted:

youd have to be pretty retarded to think videogame characters are real.

You would, but at the same time, characters in fiction are often based off real people, and some real people do dress like total whores.

Women deserve representation in video games, even the sluts.

Seriously, though, they aren't real, which is why you shouldn't care about how they "dress" or about them period.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 30, 2014

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Forums Barber posted:

Their PR person (Maya Kramer/@legobutt) is selling "Cuties killed gamers" shirts, the site shows that she sold 260. http://teespring.com/cuties These idiots self-destructed for this poo poo. They really do coordinate through her, 4chan dug it up pretty easily since none of these people thought they were doing anything wrong, so they didn't cover their tracks.

Legobutts is the person who doxxed The Fine Young Capitalists and tweeted out his personal details to Zoe and her army of twitter users. Now she's selling shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

luckily tweets speak louder than actions, so i am a better feminism ally than the guys who, once again, donated tens of thousands of dollars to a feminist charity. i pointed out sexism in dworkin's works, if that doesn't make me holier than the pope then all my re-tweets have been for naught.

• Locked thread