Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
on sportscenter stuart scott spent an hour detailing how fans are lovely people and then jason sehorn explained how football shouldnt be fun to watch

he redefined college ball as a small circulation zine in the bay area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Junkfist posted:

Archduchess Zoe Quinn doxxed by Serbian Anarchist MRAs, world plunges into war.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Philippe Poisson

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I'm still mystified as to what exactly doxxing entails and why it's apparently comparable to stabbing someone in the gut

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Gravefront posted:

I'm still mystified as to what exactly doxxing entails and why it's apparently comparable to stabbing someone in the gut

Revealing someone's actual identity so they can't hide behind a wall of anonymity.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Have people like this been around for all of human history or are they a product of current human society?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

also another reminder: you are not more of a lazy poo poo than anon, are you?

vote on what game should get made by TFYC here: http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/Voting

The Brown Menace fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 30, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

coleman francis posted:

Have people like this been around for all of human history or are they a product of current human society?

Always but it was much more difficult for them to meet up and encourage each other so they were forced to become productive members of society.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also all those people actually went out and did things where as internet activists stay home.

Could you stick to terrible counterarguments instead of lovely tagalong posts

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

natetimm posted:

Revealing someone's actual identity so they can't hide behind a wall of anonymity.

But their actual identities and the towns they live in were already common knowledge

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

pffrwahahahahahaha

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

coleman francis posted:

Zoe's the kind of person that probably caused witch trials to become a thing

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

natetimm posted:

remember when a bunch of the former helldump crew, who got co-opted by SJWs, did this to a literal 10 year-old on twitter because he had badthinks about rape and acted like they extremely owned him, the little shitlord, when he remained perfectly calm and reasonable about a bunch of 30-somethings excessively dumping on a picture of a child hugging a cat

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

natetimm posted:

So that they can be harassed.

straight jerkers posted:

But their actual identities and the towns they live in were already common knowledge

Even so, reposting someone's personal information is a no-no. It really serves no point other than to direct harassment to that person.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Fathis Munk posted:

pffrwahahahahahaha

For a second I actually thought the article was penned by someone named "CRITICAL DISTANCE" and I was imagining both the girth and rainbow haircolor of xie's body.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Didn't Zoe talk a whole ton of poo poo on the FYC charity because they asked for participants who identified as women and she considered that to mean they were forcing transexuals to out themselves?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

The Brown Menace posted:

remember when a bunch of the former helldump crew, who got co-opted by SJWs, did this to a literal 10 year-old on twitter because he had badthinks about rape and acted like they extremely owned him, the little shitlord, when he remained perfectly calm and reasonable about a bunch of 30-somethings excessively dumping on a picture of a child hugging a cat

Eventually everyone will just be known by their name on the internet and handles and screen names will be a thing of the past.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Klyith posted:

But opinions & cultural norms only change is you show people the thing you're complaining about and they go "drat that's hosed up." MLK complained about jim crow and black people being treated like poo poo. Feminists complained about women being locked out of many societal roles and being treated like poo poo. Gay advocates complain about their partnerships not being recognized by the state and being treated like poo poo.

When your audience by and large reacts with "drat that's some trivial bullshit," you can complain forever and nothing will happen. The SJW movement or whatever it might be called, the trigger warning advocates, the intersectionality people, the media representation police -- most of these complaints are things that are so removed from normal experience that people can't emphasize.

Particularly when you're complaining about those horrible gamers, at which point it becomes some trivial bullshit inside of the trivial bullshit that is video games.

The people in power at the time thought all those things were trivial bullshit.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Didn't Zoe talk a whole ton of poo poo on the FYC charity because they asked for participants who identified as women and she considered that to mean they were forcing transexuals to out themselves?

among others, yes

she also considered it doubleplus bad because women were working for free (for the sake of other women, of their own volition)

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

natetimm posted:

Eventually everyone will just be known by their name on the internet and handles and screen names will be a thing of the past.

that sounds like the worst thing ever nahh I'm good

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Lobster Harmonica posted:

that sounds like the worst thing ever nahh I'm good

They did it on Battle.net and it made things much less lovely. They are still lovely, though.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

natetimm posted:

That will make it hard for me to lol at 9/11

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

natetimm posted:

They did it on Battle.net

Actually no, they didn't.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

The Brown Menace posted:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets get rid of all gamers and all game journalists

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Brown Menace posted:

also another reminder: you are not more of a lazy poo poo than anon, are you?

vote on what game should get made by TFYC here: http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/Voting

I voted for Undead Empire 'cause the other games sounded kind of lame, I'll float them five bux for it when I get home even though I am unemployed because I guess I'd just rather do something supportive inbetween all my constant, endless bitching.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Parallax Scroll posted:

lets get rid of all gamers and all game journalists

and all video games.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

reminder that zoe quinn, who worked on a barely-a-game "game" which can be printed out on a bunch of pages of paper and lose none of its impact and playability, and which apparently had a male co-developer nobody knew about, the lack of criticism of whom she tried to pin her sexism accusations on, demonized and got to shut down a group of women with actual coding and designing skills who were offering up their labor for a female-designed video game

the SJW gaming press cheered this on or, alternatively, remained silent about it.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

haha a bunch of fat 30 year olds threatened to kill a 10 year old over and over and then got owned by said 10 year old like he's a vetted champ

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Brown Menace posted:

reminder that zoe quinn, who worked on a barely-a-game "game" which can be printed out on a bunch of pages of paper and lose none of its impact and playability, and which apparently had a male co-developer nobody knew about, the lack of criticism of whom she tried to pin her sexism accusations on, demonized and got to shut down a group of women with actual coding and designing skills who were offering up their labor for a female-designed video game

the SJW gaming press cheered this on or, alternatively, remained silent about it.

you really love video games dont you

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

The Brown Menace posted:

reminder that zoe quinn, who worked on a barely-a-game "game" which can be printed out on a bunch of pages of paper and lose none of its impact and playability

Uh,

Depression Quest posted:

This game uses audio as part of it's gameplay. We encourage you to play with your sound on.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This kid is loving cool, realtalk.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

AUDIO!?!? :monocle: hang on lemme double check the system requirements I didnt know I needed to have like a gaming pc

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Can someone just PM me whenever bad things happen to Patrick Kelepek as a result of all this? That's my only dog in this fight.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

play for yourself, then

http://www.depressionquest.com/dqfinal.html

man, this game loses so much from the lack of lovely, lame piano music

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

wow, that kid is based as gently caress

how can one man be that based at such a young age

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

I remember this now, but didn't realize the kid was ten. Did these guys really think that threatening to stab and physically injure a ten-year-old equals progress?

I hear a lot like "if you oppose somebody who calls themselves a warrior for social justice or a crusader, consider what you're actually opposing". Well, it's that.

It's that poo poo right there.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

The Brown Menace posted:

Two male co-developers, IIRC.

Also one of the criticisms she raised at TFYC's game jam was that the women giving the ideas could just take their idea and make the game themselves. This, coming from someone who needed two co-devs for a game in Twine.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Depression Quest posted:

Features:

Over 40k words of interactive fiction. Playthroughs are short enough to be done in one day, but long enough for the game to have gotten it's point across.
About 150 unique encounters. Based on your depression levels, different choices open and close off to you.
Content generated based on your decisions. The choices you make have a real effect on how your playthrough turns out.
Five endings. See how your choices affected the game's world, and how well you've dealt with your depression.
Audio and visuals react to your depression. Listen as the music gets glitchier and see how much stronger the static gets. Watch the color get sucked out of how you see the world.
Aid a charity. Contribute to the developer's hard work and support depression sufferers worldwide at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Can someone just PM me whenever bad things happen to Patrick Kelepek as a result of all this? That's my only dog in this fight.

Isn't he an orphan now? Isn't that enough?

...if you're over the age of 18 are you still an orphan when your parents die?

Falsum posted:

Two male co-developers, IIRC.

Also one of the criticisms she raised at TFYC's game jam was that the women giving the ideas could just take their idea and make the game themselves. This, coming from someone who needed two co-devs for a game in Twine.

Well those two women should clearly have set up patreons and just begged people to give them money instead of...well I guess they still did that, but with a bunch of other people as well to ensure that nobody would dismiss it as a scam or vaporware

• Locked thread