Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Monoliths posted:

Beer, weed, pizza, dogs, new ork codex, full 7 turns, still fairly new to the edition, and almost entirely infantry-based armies.

Tell me about your summoning strategy with orks. I have two weirdboyz, so I've been a little tempted to try this out with some cheap demon-y models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I've discovered a new low, dice so bad your tourney opponent sighs when you roll.
The good news

I finished 1850 worh of bugs (technically 1285 because a friend with an airbrush did my heirodule)
it realy cool to play a fully painted army.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

how did at most 7 turns take you 9 hours

Two armies with Daemon Factory allies

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's still like an hour and 20 minutes a turn, and considering the first 3 turns probably couldn't take more than an hour that's a lot of time

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
9 hours is an absurdly long time, but none of my games of 40k have ever been quick. Playing at 1500 points usually runs 4-5 hours including setup. Lots of chatting and looking up rules, mostly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Lots of bullshitting, drinking, new rules and loads of summoning, plus late-night tiredness? I can totally understand the game taking ages.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Tell me about your summoning strategy with orks. I have two weirdboyz, so I've been a little tempted to try this out with some cheap demon-y models.

The orks were the flavor part of the list, so I didn't think too hard about it. I converted up a warphead to look all mutated and hadn't used him yet; my friend and I are not hardcore at all with our lists and will usually go with stuff that we like the look or fluff of. It's just more fun that way, especially with just the one regular opponent. Having said that, my plan was to have a warphead and 2x20 boyz with 12 more ardboyz just kinda run straight ahead taking fire and attempting summons with the warphead, who jumped between squads as they took damage. The much larger daemon detachment would then deepstrike in as unexpected aid, in a similar sorta enveloping tarpit strategy I used to use with the old daemons book. I had several heralds of tzeentch (one with portalglyph), a couple of horrors squads, some hounds, some nurglings, and a kitted out great unclean one, in addition to the orks. They almost all had malefic focus except for biomancy on the GUO and divination on one herald. My opponent had a flying tzeentch daemon prince, a big terminator deathstar on foot with a sorceror, a couple of rhinos with marines, a defiler, a maulerfiend, and a cultist blob.

What actually happened was that the orks all ran up behind a big central wall out of sight of all but the defiler, taking minimal damage and the warphead managing to summon a tzeentch herald. The CSM started to close in on the middle of the board (it was 5 objectives all scattered around, vanguard strike deployment) while the orks kept running around this wall, and then most of my daemons appeared all over the place on turn 2. The GUO got whittled down considerably right away, and the summoning escalation race began pretty immediately. The various heralds and warphead on my side were trying to keep up with the flying prince and sorceror while still keeping biomancy buffs on my warlord, the GUO. In the end he still ate it from some plasma marines, and my infantry success varied a bit but mostly suffered from not having a lot of easy targets, and got gunned down one by one. The game ended with the CSM dominating more than half the board with their superior armor, and my warphead and a few summoned daemons still out of sight dispatching of some other summoned daemons.

It was a fun and crazy game, with both sides summoning up a total of around 100 models (mostly horrors and plaguebearers). The psychic phase book-keeping was the biggest drag for me, as well as the time it took to move around that many troops. So many little guys with different stuff! If I wanted to use malefic again I'd probably go for some kind of smaller-scale affair with a backfield support unit to summon up objective campers or tarpits.

Edit: I should note that the actual first turn began about 9pm, because we forgot the table had fallen apart last month and had to improvise a rickety desk/plank/glass top table solution.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 30, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I have based my manz and boss in the wreckage of their own trukk. I had fun with this, it was an interesting modeling exercise. I might not have done everything the same if I were to do it again, but I think they look pretty good. I took a few shots to try and give a good look at what I was trying to do with the wreckage at the bottom.

I'm excited to finally have an HQ based, which means technically i can field a very small completely painted and based army. That's an exciting thought :)

[i touched up the base on that one guy since these pictures were taken, something must have gotten scratched while I was sealing]

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 30, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

AbusePuppy posted:

Actually this is only true for the Eldar's Plasma Grenades. Frag Grenades can't be used as a melee weapon.

Whoops!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Why would you try and hit someone with a grenade? That's crazy.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

Why would you try and hit someone with a grenade? That's crazy.

Cause that someone is a carnifex

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That still doesn't seem like a very good idea. Carnifex would probably eat your hand!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Moola posted:

That still doesn't seem like a very good idea. Carnifex would probably eat your hand!

And the rest of you, if you don't use that grenade!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Well I guess then maybe you could get a sweet bionic arm. Still, throwing the grenade at the Carnifex seems like maybe the first thing you should try?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

Well I guess then maybe you could get a sweet bionic arm. Still, throwing the grenade at the Carnifex seems like maybe the first thing you should try?

You haven't seen starship troopers in a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4_WXSAKtm8&t=206s

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

yeah and you get to do that in overwatch.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Preview of my monthly oath:

My new inquisitor charging out of my stormraven, shooting Lord of Texas' beautiful Farseer. I'm really happy with how the base came out, especially since I didn't plan for it to be snow (it was going to be grass when I started).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played master twig last night. Pretty cool goon with a pretty cool gene stealer cult army.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Selling some Necrons for cheap.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661771

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Played Naramyth last night. Pretty cool goon with a pretty cool white scar and imperial night army.

He kicked my rear end.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Does anybody have any links/tutorials/tips for painting gemstones?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Played Naramyth last night. Pretty cool goon with a pretty cool white scar and imperial night army.

He kicked my rear end.

:frogc00l:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Master Twig posted:

He kicked my rear end.

Sounds like you didn't cheat enough. Common mistake.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Nah. I just prefer to make shameless excuses like "the terrain totally benefited him more" and "We did a point level I wasn't ready for so I had to run a bad list".

Also, sounds like Naramyth won the tournament today, so congrats on that. I'm looking forward to Renegade in November.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Good showing for us at Nova.

WhiteOutMouse won first place in the sixth bracket.
The Sex Cannon got a medal for his outstanding performance in the Narrative. And I just got 250 bucks as a door prize!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pacheeco posted:

Does anybody have any links/tutorials/tips for painting gemstones?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Good showing for us at Nova.

WhiteOutMouse won first place in the sixth bracket.
The Sex Cannon got a medal for his outstanding performance in the Narrative. And I just got 250 bucks as a door prize!

You're adorable.

My medal was an award for lowest points scored in the narrative.

Remember when I said I was bad at this? Now I have proof.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Sex Cannon posted:

You're adorable.

My medal was an award for lowest points scored in the narrative.

Remember when I said I was bad at this? Now I have proof.

Please! Everyone knows you're the most adorable poster here.

Let's play a game next weekend. Take some pictures for proof.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
He has to wear the medal during the game.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I just remebered that this thread exists, and decided to share some photos of a model of mine that was made for BFG.

Meet the Deff Star, an Ork Space Hulk modeled after the Death Star.

The orks obviously haven't been able to patch it up all the way, but that's alright. It leaves more room for flight decks.

See?

Killa Kans and Pulsa Rokkits roam the hull (magnetized spots on the hull that Epic mini's can be placed on)

This entire model was made with a ton of bits from Epic mini's since they were the perfect size. I have an Epic Gargant arm on one side of the hull, and a gargant's cannon sitting in the eye on the ships "face".

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Please! Everyone knows you're the most adorable poster here.

Let's play a game next weekend. Take some pictures for proof.

Yes. I'll text you.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He has to wear the medal during the game.

I will.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

How many combi-meltas come in the Chaos Termjnator box? How many power axes?

Also, when were the Chaos Bikes, Astartes Bikes, and Scout Bikes last updated?

Chaos Bikes were done up in 3rd edition or very early 4th. Astartes Bikes were recut sometime in 4th edition to be more customizable, but are still very similar to their 2nd edition predecessors, even using the same bolter designs. Scout Bikes were made into a plastic kit in 5th edition with the Space Marines codex in 2008.

Played the first two games of my Frost and Iron campaign this weekend. It's been fun! Highlights today include my Terminator Lord getting one-shotted by a battle cannon and one of my Champions becoming a spawn and tying the blob squad up on the central objective. Playing a series of games on tables of lush forests, rolling hills, and quaint log cabins has been a nice change of scenery (:haw:)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FireSight posted:

I just remebered that this thread exists, and decided to share some photos of a model of mine that was made for BFG.

The orks obviously haven't been able to patch it up all the way, but that's alright. It leaves more room for flight decks.

See?

Killa Kans and Pulsa Rokkits roam the hull (magnetized spots on the hull that Epic mini's can be placed on)

This entire model was made with a ton of bits from Epic mini's since they were the perfect size. I have an Epic Gargant arm on one side of the hull, and a gargant's cannon sitting in the eye on the ships "face".

This is amazing. So amazing that I immediately forget any quibbles about scale. :v:

I'm beginning to really like the card missions. They encourage you to build a versatile force that is effective in all phases. And if the Ork deck is any indication, they give you points for acting in character. My buddy scores a lot of points for just doing Orky poo poo with his Orks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I keep meaning to buy more epic parts and work on Da Block, the ork salvaged Cube ship.

The eventual plan is to have one recogniseable ork ship from every major sci-fi setting I can think of. I have no idea what ship I'd use for Babylon 5 though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PeterWeller posted:

And if the Ork deck is any indication, they give you points for acting in character. My buddy scores a lot of points for just doing Orky poo poo with his Orks.

Here's hoping there will be card sets for all the 6th edition and later codexes!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Here's hoping the faction specific datacards won't be limited editions.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Vulkan turned up this morning and the detail is :stare:

Cannot wait to start working on this.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

FireSight posted:

See?

They

They should have sent a poet

PeterWeller posted:

I'm beginning to really like the card missions. They encourage you to build a versatile force that is effective in all phases. And if the Ork deck is any indication, they give you points for acting in character. My buddy scores a lot of points for just doing Orky poo poo with his Orks.

This is one thing I noticed about ork cards that no one has been talking about. It seems like orks, whatever weaknesses they may have, would be really good at nabbing card missions. They tend to be very mobile and have lots of scoring capability. And their ork-specific cards seem really easy to score. This is an interesting aspect to army balance that doesn't seem like it's been touched on a lot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fuegan posted:

Vulkan turned up this morning and the detail is :stare:

Cannot wait to start working on this.

Same. His armour is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

This is one thing I noticed about ork cards that no one has been talking about. It seems like orks, whatever weaknesses they may have, would be really good at nabbing card missions. They tend to be very mobile and have lots of scoring capability. And their ork-specific cards seem really easy to score. This is an interesting aspect to army balance that doesn't seem like it's been touched on a lot.

Totally, as I said a few pages back, orks are excellent at maelstrom missions. They can completely dominate the real estate and pick up those objectives with fast cheap units like single deffkoptas from turn one.

That said, some of the ork specific ones like getting the 10" charge or turbo boosting three vehicles can be a bit tough to get sometimes depending on the game turn or your army selection and sometimes you'd prefer the grab X objective that the card replaces instead.

• Locked thread