Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ha-ha, people discuss video games. Don't you know that Israel bombs Gaza? Why don't you discuss that, big babies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Games are great and so are the social discussions gaming lends itself to.

Lmao

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lightanchor posted:

I'd actually be on board with an online choose your own adventure that simulated a book

There's a bunch of iOS games that adapt old CYA books to the format, they're pretty neat.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Paladinus posted:

Ha-ha, people discuss video games. Don't you know that Israel bombs Gaza? Why don't you discuss that, big babies?

Israel is bombing Gaza? I better go onto twitter and say mean things about them. That'll show 'em!

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Paladinus posted:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

mid 2000s
SJWs show up

anon: lol who loving cares its video games
SJWs: NO THIS poo poo IS LEGIT AND VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS
gaming journalism: well maybe if we piggyback off of this, we will be considered real journalists. THEY ARE RIGHT, BOW TO YOUR SJW OVERLORDS, VIDEO GAMES ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND ALSO ART, THEY ARE SERIOUS.

2014, years and billions of dollars as well as shitloads of market penetration and increase in relevance, globally, along with the gaming press, later

anon: well the relationships between gaming journalists, indie devs and SJWs seem rather incestuous, as well as lacking any sort of disclosure that actual journalism would require
SJWs: l-lol who cares r-right? they are merely video games, you virgin neckbeard sexist rapist
gaming journalism: w-what x-xhe said. video games do not matter, they are just a childish hobby! we are not real journalists, we are just hobbyist bloggers who are beholden to no standards whatsoever! get over it, virgin!

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
is there anyone left alive on this cursed and bemerded gay internet that isn't a massive self-righteous self-important idiot

edit: besides that twitter kid

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
So why are people something out and doing 9/11 Truther-style exposés on women who make comments on the game industry, in between the threats of rape or violence? It's like, I can understand the anonymous death threats from 12 year olds on 4chan, but the amount of effort people are putting to fight that Anita lady's arguments seems like something you can't even expect someone to grow out
of. Actual mental illness. Maybe we should make a game about it

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Lol 10 owning rear end,

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Twitter kid is a true warrior.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I need a photoshopped image of Geoff Keighley surrounded by 7up+ and Spice 2.0 flavored Doritos.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Haha uninvolved parties are claiming they're having to smuggle their moms out of Seattle like they're living out Half-Life 2

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Wait, arent all these people gamers since they have all played videogames?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

David Copperfield posted:

So why are people something out and doing 9/11 Truther-style exposés on women who make comments on the game industry, in between the threats of rape or violence? It's like, I can understand the anonymous death threats from 12 year olds on 4chan, but the amount of effort people are putting to fight that Anita lady's arguments seems like something you can't even expect someone to grow out
of. Actual mental illness. Maybe we should make a game about it

incredibly enough, people are not really buying that someone who would legitimately fear for their life to the degree that they abandon their home, would tweet about it before calling the authorities

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

coleman francis posted:

Wait, arent all these people gamers since they have all played videogames?

You would think. Apprently it's just a slur now.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

The Brown Menace posted:

incredibly enough, people are not really buying that someone who would legitimately fear for their life to the degree that they abandon their home, would tweet about it before calling the authorities

Sure, but than again maybe thats just misogyny?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I used my insider videogame sources and I know what the new replacement name for gamers is...

"Players". :lol:

(Seriously).

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 31, 2014

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

especially after zoe quinn cried wolf in the exact same way about wizardchan, which turned out to be 100% fabrication

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

The Brown Menace posted:

No one in Seattle is safe the lady from polygon told me so!

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
please do not use gamephobic slurs such as "gamer" here, this is a safespace for all virgin neckbeards such as myself and you are in danger of triggering us

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
gamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamercultureg
amerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturega
merculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegam
erculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegame
rculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamer
culturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerc
ulturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamercu
lturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamercul
turegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamercult
uregamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamercultu
regamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamerculturegamercultur
egamerculturegamerculturegamerculture

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

The Brown Menace posted:

But that's exactly what I'm getting at. They'll super-analyze their online behavior, find some weird minor inconsistency, and declare it as proof that the whole thing is faked and these women aren't actually effected by harassment.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Please stop using the g-word. It's offensive.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I anxiously await the Polygon article describing how the PT demo is just like how she fears for her own safety.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Twitter Kid, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Skyrim Belongs to the Nords.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Supernorn posted:

I used my insider videogame sources and I know what the new replacement name for gamers is...

Dude if they honestly try and push "player" as the new word for gamer on behalf of some girl who literally played the gently caress out of a bunch of people I'll laugh out loud irl

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Klyith posted:

A stupid counterargument. They most certainly did not in the case of blacks in the south. It was an organized system where the people in power were spending a lot of effort to keep blacks "in their place".

And what matters in the long run is whether society as a whole (or at least majority) agrees that something is not trivial bullshit. Few social movements ever worked by changing the minds of the entrenched power, they changed everyone else's minds and got the former replaced.

When Dred Scott sued for freedom he was told his desires were a bunch of trivial bullshit. Slavery existed in the United States for nearly a century despite the existence of people who railed against it. Then there was another near-century of legal discrimination.

A lot of people in the north during the civil war didn't have any special affinity for the rights of black people either. Multiple white mobs in the north murdered the black people living among them out of resentment.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

a slim pixie posted:

When Dred Scott sued for freedom he was told his desires were a bunch of trivial bullshit. Slavery existed in the United States for nearly a century despite the existence of people who railed against it. Then there was another near-century of legal discrimination.

A lot of people in the north during the civil war didn't have any special affinity for the rights of black people either. Multiple white mobs in the north murdered the black people living among them out of resentment.

Are yall really in this thread with this poo poo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

a slim pixie posted:

What is this bullshit? HOW PURPLE IS YOUR HAIR?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Yup, people being enslaved and murdered is definitely comparable to bikini clad women in videogames.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

David Copperfield posted:

But that's exactly what I'm getting at. They'll super-analyze their online behavior, find some weird minor inconsistency, and declare it as proof that the whole thing is faked and these women aren't actually effected by harassment.

A head reviewer for polygon just cancelled plans they had with their family, left the city they are living in and made sure to inform their family to never reveal their locations online just incase. All due to threats made to other people who aren't directly connected to them. I wouldn't believe this poo poo about right wing rapture is coming doomsday preppers but apparently this is something SJWs actually do.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

EasternBronze posted:

Yup, people being enslaved and murdered is definitely comparable to bikini clad women in videogames.

No no no you see I'm just using it an example of...uh...*stutters quietly*...things and how things need to be uh...different. And uh...

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

EasternBronze posted:

Yup, people being enslaved and murdered is definitely comparable to RAPE clad women in videogames.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Supernorn posted:

(Seriously).

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Oh...

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
don't hate the player, hate the gamer

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
The internet abstracts from real-life circumstances, without which meaningful discussion is impossible. Meaningful discussion is always predicated on what your audience already knows.

Lightanchor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Anal Papist posted:

A head reviewer for polygon just cancelled plans they had with their family, left the city they are living in and made sure to inform their family to never reveal their locations online just incase. All due to threats made to other people who aren't directly connected to them. I wouldn't believe this poo poo about right wing rapture is coming doomsday preppers but apparently this is something SJWs actually do.

Realtalk the whole "Sorry guys, I'm moving my grandma out of her nursing home due to some very serious threats" poo poo that every uninvolved party seems to be pulling this weekend is beyond laughable

• Locked thread