Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

White Phosphorus posted:

Soloing the Fume knight with the Zwei was fun as poo poo!

What were the openings you used to attack? I was using the heide spear and I had a really hard time getting in more than one hit after any of his combos.

Didn't help that I could not dodge his long sword hits for poo poo in phase 1. The second hit seems to have super tracking and always hits me out of the roll I use to dodge the first hit. Having to block his 3 hit long sword combo sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just wear a piece of Velstadt's armor and you'll never have an issue getting a hit in. Most of his attacks in his second phase are really slow and give you ample time to get in a good hit. His combo is very fast and you just have to dodge, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

What were the openings you used to attack? I was using the heide spear and I had a really hard time getting in more than one hit after any of his combos.

Didn't help that I could not dodge his long sword hits for poo poo in phase 1. The second hit seems to have super tracking and always hits me out of the roll I use to dodge the first hit. Having to block his 3 hit long sword combo sucked.

Constantly circle to his right to get him to use his greatsword punish attack, which is really slow and easy to dodge. Being on his left is a death sentence because his longsword attacks deal almost as much damage as his greatsword, but are way faster.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 31, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Bait any of his UGS attacks in the first phase, since those all give you plenty of time to attack. For the second phase, attack after he does a big attack like the AOE with fireballs or the single slow wide sweep.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Fume got about 20 times easier when i simply locked on and circled him CCW the entire time, and i beat him very shortly after

One day i'll beat him without locking on, cause even if he crushed me it was so much more fun

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I swear his sweep has a much larger hitbox than the model actually implies. It's annoying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The super slow one in his second phase? Just roll towards it. The thing about his second phase is that the aura around his sword also deals damage if it touches you.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

WarpedLichen posted:

As others have said, you have to punish the big sword sweep, that's the easiest. If you have full stamina you can roll twice through two hits of his combo trying to get around him and kinda see what he does, you then attack or dodge depending on situation. If you get an attack in, roll the hell away when he starts up another combo and then just walk away to recharge stamina.

In the second stage. You can get good hits after he does a jumping attack, an overhead smash, or the beam sweep. When he sweeps the beam you have to try to get behind him. If you are standing right in front of him when he does it, it's best to just roll through it to your left and attack him while the attack animation is still playing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

The super slow one in his second phase? Just roll towards it. The thing about his second phase is that the aura around his sword also deals damage if it touches you.

Yeah, just got killed again by the goddamn hitbox. Nearly threw my controller against the wall - time for a break I think. :haw:

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

My problem with it at first was that you have to dodge later than I felt like I should at first. It was definitely the attack of his I had the most trouble dodging. I thought his first form was way easier than his second.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If your agility is really bad you can just run behind him. It's slow enough that you have the time, and as with Vendrick's sweep it has a blind spot behind him. I could roll through it every time, but I also had 100 and 106 agility respectively on the two characters I fought him with. There's nothing wrong with the hitbox, you just have to take the aura into account as well.

It is a very slow attack, much slower than anything else he does. I could see people preemptively dodging right into the sword and taking full damage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WarpedLichen posted:

Heide spear should be doing very good damage to him, no need to get greedy and go for additional hits.

It turns out that trying to beat Smelter 2 with sorcery is a no-go, but a +10 Homunculus Mace serves as a nice backup even if it takes some patience. Otherwise, endgame sorcery builds can get through Brume just fine, even if some enemies (the possessed armors especially) will give trouble.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I beat the DLC and holy poo poo is it hilarious going back to some earlier enemies/bosses. You go from ridiculously tight timing windows, very punishingly fast enemies (hell, there were combos from FK and the final boss that I had to resort to blocking because I couldn't roll fast enough to dodge them all), to lazy swings that you see coming a mile away. I beat the skeleton lords without even breaking a sweat by just strafing around in the middle of the arena and lazily rolling past their swings where before I was incredibly nervous and kited them past pillars and around obstacles in a desperate attempt to stay alive.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Made a PVP video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoHsVSOIf8

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
None of this DLC poo poo has anything on Velstadt when playing CoC (I'm playing the DLCs on my NG+ main who is not in CoC). The motherfucker does so much damage that he oneshots me after he's powered up. I make it down to about 20% of his health but then I gently caress up and fall for one of his fakeouts.

Yeah I'm at 75% max HP and only have 20 Vit but still. Much as I'd like to use the Red Iron Twinblade at that stage in the game it looks like I have to respec to using boring weapons and pour all my stats into actually being able to stay alive during boss fights.

The worst part is having to go through that godawful hallway again. Those loving Royal Guard duos are the absolute nadir of awful in what is otherwise a very fun and mostly balanced game, Amana is a picnic by comparison apart from that zerg rush of Lindelt Clerics right before the final bonfire.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

So is Firestorm3's range bigger than the other two, or am I imagining things?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hadn't had a chance to play around with the new pyromancies yet. Holy poo poo those do a lot of damage. I'm going to have to start carrying Fire Snake on me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So if I bonfire ascetic the Fume Knight bonfire, the statues won't come back will they?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Pwnstar posted:

So if I bonfire ascetic the Fume Knight bonfire, the statues won't come back will they?

Correct

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah I'm at 75% max HP and only have 20 Vit but still. Much as I'd like to use the Red Iron Twinblade at that stage in the game it looks like I have to respec to using boring weapons and pour all my stats into actually being able to stay alive during boss fights.

Why do you need to respec into boring weapons? All you need is a tad more HP. On a side note though, faster weapons can be incredibly helpful because they leave you less time where you can't dodge, which helps survivability a lot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I don't see any weapon doing better than the Red Iron Twinblade anyway.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn I love the multiplayer in this game. Helping people kill bosses is so fun.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
a) The idols with their hands down look at you when you shove a wedge in them. :gonk:
b) Recorded a webm with some idol audio. I think I can make out "I love you, darling" and "I will always love you" but I welcome you to give it a shot:

http://a.pomf.se/dpczqt.webm

c) My friend got Fume Knight in one fight and yet has died repeatedly to Smelter and doesn't know why people think Fume is a big deal. :stare:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Going through shulva in NG+ to pick up some double DLC weapons, one huge improvement the new dlc made: Enemies can be loving poise broken. Jesus christ. The stupid assholes with the poison maces just never flinch to anything and they really don't appear to be that heavy.

Even the giant smelter warriors get poise broken with big weapons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

They're not hard to poise break. Any medium poise weapon will do it (like straight swords or better), but it seems that no matter how much poise damage you do, you have to hit them twice to poisebreak them.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

My hard drive died, so I have to start over completely from scratch. Completely.

So, what program should I use to enable the use of my Dual Shock 3 controller?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time_pants posted:

My hard drive died, so I have to start over completely from scratch. Completely.

Scarlet Crush's w/e it's called.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Time_pants posted:

This one seems to be the most commonly goon-recommended one.

Genocyber posted:

They're not hard to poise break. Any medium poise weapon will do it (like straight swords or better), but it seems that no matter how much poise damage you do, you have to hit them twice to poisebreak them.

Yeah, and swing speed seems to be a factor as well. Despite officially having the same poise damage, my Mirrah Greatsword would poise break them in two hits while a Black Knight Greatsword would not.

They are extremely easy to backstab, though. I was annoyed by their high poise until I figured that out. Also, the lance guys will stagger themselves if you get up in their faces and block. Like most other things in Shulva, the enemies reward a puzzle-solving approach rather than brute force. Once you figure out how to manipulate them, they're pretty fun.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How's the PVP in this game these days? I stopped playing right before they nerfed the Bat Staff + Poison Fog combo. My understanding is that patches have changed things up a lot. I was wrecking shop pretty decently with a STR/FAI Grand Lance build, that still viable?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

net cafe scandal posted:

How's the PVP in this game these days? I stopped playing right before they nerfed the Bat Staff + Poison Fog combo. My understanding is that patches have changed things up a lot. I was wrecking shop pretty decently with a STR/FAI Grand Lance build, that still viable?

I'd be interested to know this, too. Is the Warped Sword still super powerful?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Time_pants posted:

I'd be interested to know this, too. Is the Warped Sword still super powerful?
For some reason From decided it needed a buff, so it's now even stronger. I don't see that many people using it, though.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

For some reason From decided it needed a buff, so it's now even stronger. I don't see that many people using it, though.

Does anyone know if it has a good power stance moveset with the Monastery Scimitar? I'm feeling scrubby.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
question for you hacker filth. Is it possible to equip two head armors and have the models appear? Because I really wanna see what it looks like if you wear a shadow helmet and a mad warriors mask at once, Would the warrior mask spines clip out the back and look crazy awesome?

Basically I'm asking if one can cheat at fashion souls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Time_pants posted:

Does anyone know if it has a good power stance moveset with the Monastery Scimitar? I'm feeling scrubby.

While the Monastery Scimitar has its own virtues, it's really short and so doesn't take full advantage of the Warped Sword's spin2win power stance move the way something like a katana would. If you have the 33 Str/45 Dex and the dragon bones to upgrade both weapons, the Bewitched Alonne Sword might be an amusing offhand.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Mon Scim parry got nerfed (then buffed, then nerfed again) and it's now identical to the other curved swords for parrying, so if you were planning on using it for that reason then don't. I haven't ever had good results with the Warped Sword L2 spin attack but in theory comboing it with a really long weapon such as the washing pole would be best.

Paracelsus posted:

While the Monastery Scimitar has its own virtues, it's really short and so doesn't take full advantage of the Warped Sword's spin2win power stance move the way something like a katana would. If you have the 33 Str/45 Dex and the dragon bones to upgrade both weapons, the Bewitched Alonne Sword might be an amusing offhand.

I haven't tried it personally but I heard that this doesn't work and that the Bewitched Sword doesn't powerstance in quite the same way as the other katanas.

On a related note I've been looking into DW or powerstance combos with the Estoc, is there anything that actually works better than another Estoc for the double thrust?

E: Someone just suggested Estoc + Majestic Greatsword to me, I don't even care how well it combos why didn't I think of how badass this is going to be.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 31, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

RabidWeasel posted:

The Mon Scim parry got nerfed (then buffed, then nerfed again) and it's now identical to the other curved swords for parrying, so if you were planning on using it for that reason then don't. I haven't ever had good results with the Warped Sword L2 spin attack but in theory comboing it with a really long weapon such as the washing pole would be best.

I haven't tried it personally but I heard that this doesn't work and that the Bewitched Sword doesn't powerstance in quite the same way as the other katanas.

On a related note I've been looking into DW or powerstance combos with the Estoc, is there anything that actually works better than another Estoc for the double thrust?

E: Someone just suggested Estoc + Majestic Greatsword to me, I don't even care how well it combos why didn't I think of how badass this is going to be.

Rapiers are all pretty samey yet I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice by not picking esparda ropera

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Motherfucker posted:

question for you hacker filth. Is it possible to equip two head armors and have the models appear? Because I really wanna see what it looks like if you wear a shadow helmet and a mad warriors mask at once, Would the warrior mask spines clip out the back and look crazy awesome?

Basically I'm asking if one can cheat at fashion souls.

I don't think there's a separate hair slot this time, but I could be wrong. So, yes but you'd have to lose your legs or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've pretty much been convinced the Estoc/Rapier class are the best weapons for PvE. Good damage, fast attacks to get quick pokes for time to dodge when the need arise, and more importantly can attack with a shield up which gets by 90% of the bullshit that Phantoms/NPCs employ to be challenging.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Finally finished the DLC. I had it on Tuesday but didn't get around to playing it until today.

The area is pretty interesting. Lots of very hard encounters. Smelter Demon 2.0 is kinda dumb. The Fume Knight is a son of a bitch. Sir Alonne is a lot of fun to do co-op with.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So you all know, I found a way to block the name-changer crash some malcontents were abusing to screw with people.

The problem now is finding a way to make it so that any random dude can use it. I was thinking a simple CE trainer, but maybe there's something easier.