Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yodzilla posted:

F.E.A.R. has the best grenades ever in a game.

There is something inherently satisfying about whipping a plasma grenade in Halo halfway across the map and sticking some spawn camping rear end in a top hat in his stupid face with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

If we're talking grenades in shooters, it's not a FPS but the grenades in the first Max Payne had such a satisfying CRACK when they bounced. I think it even ducked the rest of the audio to make sure you heard it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I seem to remember the grenades in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to bounce like a superball when you through them against concrete surfaces (or really anything that wasn't snow).

They also had a hell of a distinct audio cue when they were bouncing around... *TAP TAP taptaptap* *explode*

E:

Not an FPS, but Socom 1 and 2 for the ps2 also had superball grenades as well as your dude had the arm strength of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning combined and chucked them roughly half way through multiplayer levels :allears:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 31, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think you're thinking of Call of Duty grenades for the sound cue, the really out-of-place tink! tink! tink! sound made them stand out no matter what the situation was.

Do they still use that sound? The last COD game I played was 4.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RyokoTK posted:

I think you're thinking of Call of Duty grenades for the sound cue, the really out-of-place tink! tink! tink! sound made them stand out no matter what the situation was.

Nah, I'm definitely thinking of MOHAA. They made a very distinct loud tapping sound, I'll try and dig up a video.

E:

http://youtu.be/Mw2hwvB3Cf0

Skip to 5:20

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 31, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

RyokoTK posted:

There is something inherently satisfying about whipping a plasma grenade in Halo halfway across the map and sticking some spawn camping rear end in a top hat in his stupid face with it.

Oh god yes, plasma grenades in the Halo series are one of the best grenades in a game. Sticking one at a distance is satisfying every time.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RyokoTK posted:

Reminds me of the RTCW grenades more with their loud tock noises and the super loud ping ping ping when they bounce on stuff.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dominic White posted:

Nifty release today. The Adventures Of Square: Episode 1 (Squareware Edition).

Bit of an all-star team behind this one, including Xaser. It's silly and pretty good from what I've played so far. It's also a standalone release, packaged with a pre-configured version of ZDoom, although I just took the PK3 file and ran it through GZDoom for extra graphical niceness.

That city map, good god. It's is the hardest thing I've played in a good while because there's just SO MUCH going on in that map at once!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Adventures of Square seems to be another of those 'Hard mode is actually hard' situations, where they've balanced it around Normal with the assumption of semi-regular quicksaves. The UV-only, no-saves crowd seem to be getting stomped.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So Doomero's current project is coming along well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoEWjhWl90

He mentioned multiplayer in the first video for this, can't wait until I can play this with buds and watch the waves of Brightly colored Leons descend on Racoon City like Cicadas with bangs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

Adventures of Square seems to be another of those 'Hard mode is actually hard' situations, where they've balanced it around Normal with the assumption of semi-regular quicksaves. The UV-only, no-saves crowd seem to be getting stomped.

I was watching Tarnsman and Tropiano on Dime's steam last night and that seems to the case from what they said.

I'm up to map 6 on UV and its pretty drat hard. Pretty much no way I could do it without saving.

Apparently the nightmare mode isn't just respawning enemies, so it might be worth playing a bit if you want to make it even harder.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Apparently the nightmare mode isn't just respawning enemies, so it might be worth playing a bit if you want to make it even harder.

I just took a look at it. It's pretty much Fast Monsters + Double Ammo + A few extra enemies. Flying, super-fast purple cubes that bite and move erratically.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The oldest Unreal 1 clan out there is holding a DM and KOTH event on September 5th in honor of a remember that died during the summer. If you've ever wanted to play Unreal 1 DM, you should pop in and give it a shot. The main dev behind the 227 patch is going to be playing, so you can plug him with an ASMD if you've ever wanted to gib a developer. Patching to 227i is highly recommended.

Server names are:

NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM Sickpuppy's Doghouse (KingOfTheHill)
NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM OldSparky's Memorial DM (DeathMatch)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I went to look up RyokoTK's posts in this thread so I could sufficiently talk poo poo about Aleph One to someone.

He has 7 pages of posts in this thread. He really is the Marathon guru around here! :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

I went to look up RyokoTK's posts in this thread so I could sufficiently talk poo poo about Aleph One to someone.

He has 7 pages of posts in this thread. He really is the Marathon guru around here! :v:

Pfffft, I have 13 pages of posts in this thread, and it's mostly me complaining about things, soooooo...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

QwertySanchez posted:

So Doomero's current project is coming along well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoEWjhWl90

He mentioned multiplayer in the first video for this, can't wait until I can play this with buds and watch the waves of Brightly colored Leons descend on Racoon City like Cicadas with bangs.
This is loving amazing. I don't know what wizardry went into this but I will play this and it will be awesome.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I only have six pages in this thread. I'm the mega-babby

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finished Whispers of Satan this morning; overall it's a pretty solid WAD, but the last five maps or so have this tendency to have pretty nasty enemy placement (and instantly appearing enemies which is always irritating). I'd recommend it for an HMP run. The next megaWAD I'm planning on doing is Fragport with the Psychic mod; it's been a while since I used that.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Kins posted:

I really appreciate that :) Marathon is a fascinating game to talk about.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

You motherfucker, you revealed my darkest shame! :argh:

Clearly I need to stop while I'm still on 7.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I spent a good portion of my Sunday proving that there's a bug in Doom 2 that can result in it taking literally 11.67 years for a Map30 spawn cube to spawn a monster

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just played through Painkiller HD and loving ugh what a terrible game. Like, it looks nice and sounds the same and mostly plays like the Painkiller and there are some of the same levels but at the same time it's a mockery of the original game.

The story is ludicrously lovely. I mean Painkiller wasn't great but it was better than this unintelligible crap. The boss fights are busted and boring. Where's my crazy physics bricks and poo poo against the giant? Why does the swamp monster just walk in a circle and do loving nothing?

And maybe this was part of the original game by why are some of the levels so loving big and boring? A game like this doesn't need half hour long levels full of spawns that trickle enemies at you and giant loving rooms full of nothing. Certain levels are tight and well paced and those I have fun in but the others just make me want to turn it the gently caress off.

And two very specific things, gently caress whomever thought "collect all ammo boxes" was a good tarot card challenge in the game's longest level. Also gently caress the artists who couldn't even come close to the rad fireworks in that one level, they look like poo poo here.

e: also gently caress whomever thought cutting out the plague town was a good idea. That goddamn level was iconic.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I didn't buy HD when I saw that they cut levels from the original to sell them as DLC, because that's fuckin ridiculous.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I hadn't looked at the DLC but it sounds like half redone classic levels and half new content. I guess that's not the worst thing.

One of the DLC packs turns the game into a top down shooter though.

:psyduck:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/69960-back-to-saturn-x-episode-2-public-beta-1/

Yo, BTSX episode 2 is out.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I hadn't looked at the DLC but it sounds like half redone classic levels and half new content. I guess that's not the worst thing.

One of the DLC packs turns the game into a top down shooter though.

:psyduck:

Man, I'd be fine if they did something more interesting with the enemy melee hordes, or skinning the actually-kind-of-cool expansion pack weapons, or at least rebalanced the ranged enemies to be actually threatening without being lovely as gently caress, like the Soviets and Nazis in Stalingrad.

Also, I kind of wish FEAR's assault rifle and SMG felt a bit meatier, but goddamn if the nailgun wasn't sweet.

Some dude is remaking E2M7 of DooM 1 in DooM 3.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yeeeeeesssss :getin:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I had to go to work when this was posted. :negative:

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I love you linguica, never do it.wad

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

JackMackerel posted:

Also, I kind of wish FEAR's assault rifle and SMG felt a bit meatier, but goddamn if the nailgun wasn't sweet.

Who the hell bothers to use either of those? You have loads of pistol ammo until you get to the Penetrator, and the dual pistol combined with your feet are some of the best weapons in the game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yodzilla posted:

And maybe this was part of the original game by why are some of the levels so loving big and boring? A game like this doesn't need half hour long levels full of spawns that trickle enemies at you and giant loving rooms full of nothing. Certain levels are tight and well paced and those I have fun in but the others just make me want to turn it the gently caress off.

I also don't understand why they put in remake two of the most boring levels from the original, Subway and Cathedral, I was afraid the Bridge will load any given time, but thankfully it didn't. The remake is lazy as all gently caress overall, some new models and a weapon and goofy storyline is not enough to call it a full game, even more when you sell half of it as a DLC, I got it from magazine month after release so I can't complain much, but still Farm51 folks really need to get their poo poo together, because one more poo poo like this and Deadfall Adventures and they'll go bust.

Another reason to buy the original PK on GOG.com, until it lasts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Good stuff. Just a pity that it does all those weird palette-tweaking things, so that it's incompatible with just about any graphical mods. Smooth Doom is exactly what I'd want to throw at BTSX.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh I forgot to add this about Painkiller HD, the ending teases a sequel. :geno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKIrc5d8e6g

e: goddamn that loving Eve character model

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Segmentation Fault posted:

I used an xbox 360 gamepad to play Descent, and it worked perfectly fine. Left trigger and bumper fired and cycled missiles, right trigger and bumper fired and cycled guns, left stick controlled pitch and yaw, right stick controlled lateral (i.e. forward, backward, and side) velocity, and the dpad did vertical velocity and rolling. Face buttons did whatever was rest.

This was a while ago, but I wanted to throw my config into the mix:

Throttle: Left stick Up/Down
Slide L/R: Left stick Left/Right
Pitch U/D: Right stick Up/Down
Turn L/R: Right stick Left/Right
Roll (they call it "Bank") L/R: Triggers

Fire Primary: Right Bumper
Fire Secondary: Left Bumper
Flare: X
Bomb: A
Rear view: B
Automap: Start

Cycle Primary Wep: D-Pad Up
Cycle Secondary Wep: D-Pad Down

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man going from Aliens Colonial Marines to Painkiller HD to Wolfenstein The New Order just highlights how lovely those first two games are and how loving great the new Wolf is.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I dunno, I found that the Painkiler HD game is pretty good. It got rid of some of the wonky parts of the original game, like the ridiculous card requirements, how you had to restart from scratch if you wanted to change difficulty, the unusually-long loading times, and the menu system that looked awful on any sort of widescreen monitor. The gameplay itself is still solid as ever. I dunno exactly what they did, but some of the maps like Leningrad are simply better in the HD version. The way they handle DLC is dumb, but I feel that that, overall, it took away most of the lower-quality maps. It kinda sucks that Plague Village was made into DLC, but I'm not going to flip out and scream "gently caress YOU ALL FARM 51 I'LL KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU FOR DOING THIS" because of it. However, the DLC is on sale every few months, so you can pick them up for pretty cheap.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah, it's a fun game, but I can see how a lot of folks might have been disheartened by all of the DLC, especially early adopters.

I bought the whole package super cheap over the summer sale, and it was a very good deal.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think my biggest thing with Painkiller is how long it takes for souls to spawn from killed enemies. The demon form is barely useful and since souls spawn from where bodies land it actively discourages you from blasting them with anything that might send them flying. It slows the game down in a really horrible way.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I think my biggest thing with Painkiller is how long it takes for souls to spawn from killed enemies. The demon form is barely useful and since souls spawn from where bodies land it actively discourages you from blasting them with anything that might send them flying. It slows the game down in a really horrible way.

Yeah seriously, I wish there was a way to mod souls that home into your position. One card achievement required you to hoover up almost every soul in one level, it was painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
There's actually a passive card that slurps up souls from a distance but it's like five feet away instead of zero and even then it sometimes doesn't work at all.