Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'll second Mike Birbiglia. He's pretty clean and pretty drat funny.

On the not clean side, Jim Jeffries' new special is good.

Also Bill Burr is one of my favorite people.

Mike Birbiglia has some funny rear end poo poo. I loving pissed myself like a giant pussy laughing at his routine.

I must go kill myself now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Not on Netflix, but Brian Regan does solid old-school stand-up comedy that's also completely PG-rated. I love alt-comics and irony and filth as much as the next guy but sometimes it's fun to have a guy yell and make funny faces while telling stories about the waiting room at the doctor's office.

Tom segura has a great special up, and the sklar brothers, but they're pretty edgy.

Brian Regan had like 4 specials on Netflix, I guess they've been taken down. There's a ton of PG specials on Netflix, I just think those comedians use pretty one-note jokes. Like Gabriel iglesias's entire hour is just various forms of "I'm fat".

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What are some good horror films that are streaming now? This question is coming from the perspective of a someone who's seen like the Conjuring and a couple Saw movies so we are not dealing with a refined palate

edit: scrolling back a half dozen pages looks like you're next is a decent option

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 31, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

John Mulaney has a great special that is p clean except for some swear words, shame about his impending suicide I guess.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

John Mulaney has a great special that is p clean except for some swear words, shame about his impending suicide I guess.

Well he does have a sit-com on Fox...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

With a laugh track :I

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

RentACop posted:

What are some good horror films that are streaming now? This question is coming from the perspective of a someone who's seen like the Conjuring and a couple Saw movies so we are not dealing with a refined palate

edit: scrolling back a half dozen pages looks like you're next is a decent option
From the oft cited thread go to collection,

Pontypool might up their game.

Troll Hunter is an honest to goodness neat found footage movie.

Ravenous needs more love. Cannibal Curses!

Stakeland was a decent post apoc v vamps movie.

Hollow was from what I recall another decent found footage slow burn

Let the Right One In is the best vampire love story I have ever seen

What level of gore or pacing are they looking for? I can barely remember how SAW movies even went.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

What level of gore or pacing are they looking for? I can barely remember how SAW movies even went.

Let the right one in is one of the best movies ever. It has romance, gore, violence, and is just visually beautiful. I can't recommend it enough.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I need to see Stakeland since it's by the same director of We Are What We Are.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Didn't really like We are what we are but Stakeland is pretty decent. Seconding Ravenous being great/weird.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

RentACop posted:

I think the horror section of Netflix is a little bare at the moment, but I would recommend The Innkeepers. I don't think it's the best horror film on Netflix, but it's a good place to start with their current selection. It's well-written, well-shot, has some good scares, and doesn't rely on a found-footage gimmick. Give it a shot.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sarchasm posted:

I think the horror section of Netflix is a little bare at the moment, but I would recommend The Innkeepers. I don't think it's the best horror film on Netflix, but it's a good place to start with their current selection. It's well-written, well-shot, has some good scares, and doesn't rely on a found-footage gimmick. Give it a shot.
I forgot that one. It has a goofy charm to it too. Seconded.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
From the same director as the Innkeepers, House of the Devil is occasionally on Netflix and is pretty superior.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You're Next was pretty good, not very scary but entertaining and not what I was expecting.

Junkie Disease posted:

Sarchasm posted:

Awesome, I'll start going through these, thanks guys. I actually don't even really like gore all that much but the end of the first Saw kind of retroactively made me love the film and get invested in the franchise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was looking for some horror myself tonight an just watched The Den. It was pretty entertaining albeit a bit dumb. Kind of like Hostel meets chat roulette.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Was looking for some horror myself tonight an just watched The Den. It was pretty entertaining albeit a bit dumb. Kind of like Hostel meets chat roulette.

Meets a shoehorned ending, made to make ya real think about it. I applaud them for decent use of their format being laptops, can only really fault them for writing and premise.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you're a blank slate then maybe start earlier with 80s horror staples?

Hellraiser 1/2
Re-animator
Fright Night
House
CHUD
The Stuff

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Assuming they're still up V/H/S and V/H/S/2 are pretty great.

Also, if you haven't seen it, watch The People Under the Stairs.

Other good ones include From Dusk Til Dawn, Rosemary's Baby, Resolution, Candyman, The Pact, and Apartment 143.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Everyone who hasn't seen it really should check out Candyman, it's a fantastic early 90's psychological horror film. Amazing music from Philip Glass too. I would almost put it up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the better horror flicks of that decade.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Baron von Eevl posted:

From the same director as the Innkeepers, House of the Devil is occasionally on Netflix and is pretty superior.

It's on Netflix right now!

I agree with you, House of the Devil is an excellent film, and probably my pick for the best horror film of the past few years. But it's also a film made to appeal to horror buffs, and I think would be a strange introduction to the genre as a whole.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
drat, I went to Netflix to see if Parents was still streaming only to discover it has disappeared from Netflix entirely :wtc:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched Hollow. Woof. I'm pretty tolerant of found-footage films, but this was bad. And boring. I think it's biggest sin was that the actors couldn't even remotely pull off "not acting", so as to seem like real people in real found-footage. And the payoff was barely even a payoff. In a nutshell, an "evil" tree is the site of people hanging themselves throughout the centuries. By the end, something vaguely, maybe, quasi supernatural is present, possibly, and then.... everyone gets hanged. Big whoop.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
bojack horseman is pretty good. I liked how many comedians were a part of it. If you like comedy bang bang then you'll see a lot of comedians you know.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Sarchasm posted:

I agree with you, House of the Devil is an excellent film, and probably my pick for the best horror film of the past few years. But it's also a film made to appeal to horror buffs, and I think would be a strange introduction to the genre as a whole.

Not necessarily, I watched it after not having seen a horror movie in years and loved it. The slow pacing makes each moment of horror or even just eeriness really pack a punch. I think I like the build up better than the climax actually. Had the same feeling about The Conjuring and Rosemary's Baby.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Conqueror Worm (aka Witchfinder General) is up on Netflix and is a stone cold classic featuring one of Vincent Price's best roles.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just watched Hollow. Woof. I'm pretty tolerant of found-footage films, but this was bad. And boring. I think it's biggest sin was that the actors couldn't even remotely pull off "not acting", so as to seem like real people in real found-footage. And the payoff was barely even a payoff. In a nutshell, an "evil" tree is the site of people hanging themselves throughout the centuries. By the end, something vaguely, maybe, quasi supernatural is present, possibly, and then.... everyone gets hanged. Big whoop.

It's been a while since I have seen it, I will admit to being a sucker for fumbling around at night footage as long as it's outdoors. Also that twist it's pretty much an evil pokemon

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Junkie Disease posted:

Meets a shoehorned ending, made to make ya real think about it. I applaud them for decent use of their format being laptops, can only really fault them for writing and premise.

What was shoehorned about the ending? The ending was the premise, we just didn't know it until the last 10 minutes or so of the movie.

Although I admit once you see the reveal it kind of goes from a scary mystery-thriller into a modern day (spoiler for film comparison) _____8MM________. And that's a pretty unfortunate movie to be compared to.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Candyman is worth watching just for the Philip Glass score alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SJdQNOrM0

As for horror movies I would suggest the Elijah Wood remake of Maniac, Henry: Portrait of Serial Killer, and The Serpent and the Rainbow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I watched 13 Sins last night. Its more of a Thriller though. Its not too bad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

What was shoehorned about the ending? The ending was the premise, we just didn't know it until the last 10 minutes or so of the movie.

Although I admit once you see the reveal it kind of goes from a scary mystery-thriller into a modern day (spoiler for film comparison) _____8MM________. And that's a pretty unfortunate movie to be compared to.

To clarify I'm talking about the Normal Dad on the web ordering torture That part if left out changes little of the narrative.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It changes little of the narrative, except that it changes the movie completely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ending was a bit corny (so was the whole movie) but it pretty much gives purpose to the entire thing. I wouldn't have taken it out.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

"So I got my period today"

They just added Jim Jefferies: Bare on the US netflix, you should try that.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is Thanks for Sharing any good? Imdb rating of 6,4 isn't encouraging

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm trying to find a one man stage play I watched a couple of years ago. It's one guy on a simple stage like (IIRC) a house and he tells various stories about the small southern town he lives in. It was pretty dimly lit and he did a lot of different voices.

Incredibly vague I know. :( But I figure there can't be that many one man stage plays like this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Particle Fever was great, and whoever was asking in this thread why we should spend so much money on such a project must must not have actually seen the it, since they spend an entire section of the movie explaining why.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Short Penguin posted:

Let the right one in is one of the best movies ever. It has romance, gore, violence, and is just visually beautiful. I can't recommend it enough.

I should really give it another shot. I didn't like it on first watch, but learning Eli is a castrated boy rather than a girl was an interesting twist.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Particle Fever was great, and whoever was asking in this thread why we should spend so much money on such a project must must not have actually seen the it, since they spend an entire section of the movie explaining why.

Well to be fair they never do provide a satisfying answer to anyone who insists on some kind of economic or engineering return. But those people suck.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Well to be fair they never do provide a satisfying answer to anyone who insists on some kind of economic or engineering return. But those people suck.

Yes, they do. 15 minutes in an economist says "what's the return on the LHC?" And the scientist gives the anecdote about radio waves being completely abstract when they were first discovered and now being indispensable to modern life.

Asking "what's the return?" is like saying "I won't fund this expedition to the New World before first receiving an itemized list of what you expect to bring back." It doesn't take a ton of imagination to consider how understanding the fundamental forces of nature better might lead to other discoveries.

But if you're asking what's the answer for a private investor? This is why I think public funding is so important for science -- no company can be expected to shell out for an LHC investment.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Every electron microscope or radiation imaging technology is a direct result of investment in particle physics.

• Locked thread