Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hah I was wondering if this would get posted after I saw that comment. Speaking of poo poo-pants: guy in tow 3 must have had a little extra brown padding in his seat after those bounces. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the guys laying on the glider wings trying to keep it from flying away is the best part imo

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Come on, that's what glider-students are best for: ballast. :rimshot:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Madurai posted:

Not unless the insurgents you're countering have nationwide radar coverage.

The whole premise just seems kind of weird - if your enemy lacks sophisticated tracking equipment then any strip that's secluded enough to remain (relatively) hidden with an aircraft operating from it that was smuggled in via truck should also be secluded enough to remain hidden if you just fly the aircraft in. If they have that equipment then the strip is compromised the instant you take off or land from it regardless of how the aircraft got there.

Were there any cases of OV-10s being trucked into Laos or Cambodia during Vietnam and used in this manner?

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLppUtGyJc

This is fake as poo poo but I had a good guffaw :D People are posting it on facebook like it's real

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I vaguely remember that ad..

Scary to see what people will just believe though, jeez.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geoj posted:

The whole premise just seems kind of weird - if your enemy lacks sophisticated tracking equipment then any strip that's secluded enough to remain (relatively) hidden with an aircraft operating from it that was smuggled in via truck should also be secluded enough to remain hidden if you just fly the aircraft in. If they have that equipment then the strip is compromised the instant you take off or land from it regardless of how the aircraft got there.

Were there any cases of OV-10s being trucked into Laos or Cambodia during Vietnam and used in this manner?

Take this with the caveat that I haven't really studied Vietnam as in depth as others have, and that I don't have the knowledge to answer your question.

Firstly, all the fighting in Laos and Cambodia was off the books on both sides, and a badly kept secret neither wanted to openly admit to. We had mostly CIA/SpecOps guys running up and down that country side, where as the Vietcong were running around with support and communicating with the Vietnam regular army (NVA).

The theory, I can speculate, is that your enemy's radars are going to be listening to where they expect combat aircraft to come from. The regular forces are concerned about Fighters and Bombers. Fighters and Bombers are going to be coming from known airbases, such as Da Nang. I imagine there was still quite a bit of civilian and bush planes flying about Cambodia and Laos, and would be difficult to determine if any one of those was a combat aircraft, especially if it flew and behaved like a bush plane on the radar. Eyes on the ground would do much better to spot the aircraft taking off and landing rather than relying on radar when you have spotty communication between the VC and the NVA.

So basically, with this in mind, if an airplane takes off from, say, Da Nang, it's going to have eyes on it for it's entire flight, and the NVA will know where it lands. The NVA will pass the info along to the VC with the expectation that the VC would attack it from the ground. A plane taking off in Laos, striking a VC target, and then pressing on to another base or returning home would not get the same attention from the NVA, as the VC probably don't have a way to call in that they are getting their asses bombed until after the fact, and by then that bird is off scope, no way to know where it went.

How well this actually worked, or if the theory was even put to the test, I couldn't actually say. Air America was operating throughout most of the war, although a few of their bases were discovered and subsequently attacked by the VC. Also, I would have to dig around to see where the OV-10s were actually deployed.

e: also if you can fold an airplane onto the back of a truck, it'll fit into a shipping container.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I imagine the biggest benefit to moving planes by ground rather than air is suppressing the knowledge of how many you have, rather than where they are, in such a case. If the VC knew there were 30 aircraft attacking them from base X in Laos, then it'd get a lot higher priority to attack the base than if it was just 'we don't know, 3 planes, maybe'.

Also, the smaller they are, the easier they are to store in a non-vulnerable way, in some situations, storing them in natural caves, rather than having an obvious airbase all out in the open.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I don't think they would be transporting aircraft by road much in Laos as most of the strips were fly in/fly out only. Even today Laos has terrible coverage by roads, though the amount of UXO still buried in the country side probably limits their appetite to build new roads.

Digging around it looks like most Bronco deployments were in Vietnam (Da Nang, Bien Hoa, etc.) with a few happening in Thailand (Nakhom Phanom).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw a C-17 doing touch and goes at Kona Airport in Hawaii on Thursday. I didn't get a chance to take a picture but it was neat to see.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you have a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere and someone emergency lands a plane that can't take off, being able to load the thing into a truck and go is pretty convenient, I guess.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FrozenVent posted:

If you have a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere and someone emergency lands a plane that can't take off, being able to load the thing into a truck and go is pretty convenient, I guess.

What if you emergency land inside of crashed airplane?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Like a C-141 parked at the end of the runway with the back door open?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

FrozenVent posted:

That's a really odd case to design for, and in the case of something STOL already like an OV-10 I imagine it'd be easier to have a truck that can carry the repair parts and fuel to get it up again than one big enough to swallow the whole kit and caboodle

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Like a C-141 parked at the end of the runway with the back door open?

I was referring to a Pilatus PC-6C Turbo-Porter fitting inside of a crashed C-123

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Flikken posted:

I was referring to a Pilatus PC-6C Turbo-Porter fitting inside of a crashed C-123

Don't worry, I got the reference.

And now I'm off to see if that's been released on Blu-Ray.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's the reference for those of us without any awareness of popular culture?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Related to that topic, Col Bernard Fisher died this week. If you want to know aeronautical insanity, that page is a great example. I got to meet him in 1999, he was a cool old dude who knew how to tell a story.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CharlesM posted:

What's the reference for those of us without any awareness of popular culture?

The Mel Gibson/Robert Downey Jr flick "Air America", iirc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

The Mel Gibson/Robert Downey Jr flick "Air America", iirc.

Yeah just typing in those planes got me this pagehttp://impdb.org/index.php?title=Air_America :)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hah I did not know IMPDb was a thing, cool!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Yeah just typing in those planes got me this pagehttp://impdb.org/index.php?title=Air_America :)

I did it in reverse to remember which planes it was from the scene. IMPDB is cool, they have one for cars, and guns too.

Been trying to find the scene on Youtube but my youtubefu is failing me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CharlesM posted:

I saw a C-17 doing touch and goes at Kona Airport in Hawaii on Thursday. I didn't get a chance to take a picture but it was neat to see.

I saw a C-17 flying low over rural Western Maine a couple of days ago. Pretty wild, I wasn't expecting it at all.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

priznat posted:

Hah I did not know IMPDb was a thing, cool!

Same. Disappointed they didn't get Rivet Joint in Independence Day.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Same. Disappointed they didn't get Rivet Joint in Independence Day.

RJ in that movie? I thought it was only that AWACS that dies by flying into a wall of fire

(coolest thing an AWACS has ever done, btw)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

They've identified the pilot in the F-15 crash

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

RJ in that movie? I thought it was only that AWACS that dies by flying into a wall of fire

(coolest thing an AWACS has ever done, btw)

The interior shots were not AWACS. They look like RJ to me, based on the cabin still looking 707-sized and the location of the equipment. Granted, I've only spent about 5 minutes on one and we were using flashlights to look around.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a source on this, I haven't heard of it before.

never seen a king air with hellfires, but i've seen PC-12s with viper strikes

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

The interior shots were not AWACS. They look like RJ to me, based on the cabin still looking 707-sized and the location of the equipment. Granted, I've only spent about 5 minutes on one and we were using flashlights to look around.

Most likely explanation is "generic airplane control center looking interior, approximately 707-sized but who really cares"

I mean, this is Independence Day we're talking about here.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
One of the V-22 simulator instructors I know was, among many other platforms, an OV-10 pilot. I'll pick his brain sometime this week to see what he knows. Any specific questions?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bob A Feet posted:

One of the V-22 simulator instructors I know was, among many other platforms, an OV-10 pilot. I'll pick his brain sometime this week to see what he knows. Any specific questions?

Were OV-10s ever earmarked for chemical weapons delivery? If so, was there ever any training for it (obviously with simulants)?

They seem like they'd be pretty well suited for the task, but I've only ever seen dispersion tests done with platforms like F-4s in 60s/70s-era declassified videos on Youtube.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 31, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Most likely explanation is "generic airplane control center looking interior, approximately 707-sized but who really cares"

Oh yeah, I know. But we're talking about people willing to sperg enough to start a website for this.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
For those that are interested, the webcam for the last day of the Bournemouth Air Festival is here: http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Microsites/Waterfront/Waterfront-Live.aspx?form=CookieConfirm

It should be starting around lunchtime GMT.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

iyaayas01 posted:

I still remember the set for the Looking Glass plane in the movie By Dawn's Early Light. They *wish* they had that much space internally.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Bob A Feet posted:

Did it have cup holders? :allears:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I've spend a couple of weeks on the French coast and there was a small airport nearby so there were a lot of small planes going around.
One stood out though. It had a wing configuration like a Beechcraft Starship (Wikipedia tells me that's called a Canard configuration). Pretty sure it was a single engine prop plane though. Anyone got an idea what it could have been?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shai-Hulud posted:

So I've spend a couple of weeks on the French coast and there was a small airport nearby so there were a lot of small planes going around.
One stood out though. It had a wing configuration like a Beechcraft Starship (Wikipedia tells me that's called a Canard configuration). Pretty sure it was a single engine prop plane though. Anyone got an idea what it could have been?

Long-EZ and Velocity are the two that spring to mind immediately.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Sure it was single engined? Could have been a Piaggio Aero, has twin push props.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Long-EZ and Velocity are the two that spring to mind immediately.

I still dream of one day building either a Long-EZ or an E-Racer. :allears:

e:

monkeytennis posted:

Sure it was single engined? Could have been a Piaggio Aero, has twin push props.

my god.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inacio posted:

I still dream of one day building either a Long-EZ or an E-Racer. :allears:

e:

my god.

That looks like a plane built to throw James Bond out of.