Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Eox posted:

Speaking of which, bring this back

There's no good kitchen-sink magic modpacks

e: I want to be a wizard king again

Have you looked at the Luddite 1.7.10 magic pack?. It has Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, and Necromancy mods as well a few complimenting mods like magical crops and tinkers construct. No tech mods in it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Heffer posted:

Did you get the lesser research?

I did get that at least.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a mod that will, say, limit a player to 200 survivalist generators and if they exceed that, every new one they place down turns into a creeper?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

fondue posted:

Have you looked at the Luddite 1.7.10 magic pack?. It has Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, and Necromancy mods as well a few complimenting mods like magical crops and tinkers construct. No tech mods in it at all.

Says invalid Technic platform redirect URL

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fondue posted:

I played Luddite for a fair bit but there wasn't enough dungeon content to keep me for long. I like carving a path of destruction for my resources. Although I like only having a few mods for a while.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eox posted:

Speaking of which, bring this back

There's no good kitchen-sink magic modpacks

e: I want to be a wizard king again

Eox posted:

I played Luddite for a fair bit but there wasn't enough dungeon content to keep me for long. I like carving a path of destruction for my resources. Although I like only having a few mods for a while.

Its on the cards, no promises. Not sure if we can properly recapture that sigma feeling with the current worldgen dungeon mods, two of them (chocolatequest and another whos name i forget) have fallen by the wayside and without them it looses a chunk of its charm.

fondue posted:

You're not as ruthlessly murderous as Sigma was, fondue, but its a start. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 30, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a mod that will, say, limit a player to 200 survivalist generators and if they exceed that, every new one they place down turns into a creeper?

What are you doing on your server that this is being resorted to? Seriously, if that sort of poo poo is happening, there's a reason, and it's probably your fault.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

StealthArcher posted:

What are you doing on your server that this is being resorted to? Seriously, if that sort of poo poo is happening, there's a reason, and it's probably your fault.

When I was playing Agrarian Skies they were all I would use until I set up my Reactor, and even then I kept some running as battery backups when I was swapping out energy cells. They're cheap as hell! Like, I think they are sixteen cobble each and a couple bits of redstone? Plus they're crazy efficient.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

StealthArcher posted:

It's just my friend and I and I wanted to play a prank on him, although having sprawling masses of those generators does wear me down. If we need to move it, and we will, it will be a giant undertaking. I got frustrated because I almost wrecked the game trying to wedge in a high temperature furnace as overflow for unused boards from the survivalist generators. I don't know what I did, but suddenly there was a geyser of wooden blocks erupted out of reach of where I was working, and I couldn't trace it out with everything that was going on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Edminster posted:

When I was playing Agrarian Skies they were all I would use until I set up my Reactor, and even then I kept some running as battery backups when I was swapping out energy cells. They're cheap as hell! Like, I think they are sixteen cobble each and a couple bits of redstone? Plus they're crazy efficient.

The Furnace Generators are more efficient.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's just my friend and I and I wanted to play a prank on him, although having sprawling masses of those generators does wear me down. If we need to move it, and we will, it will be a giant undertaking. I got frustrated because I almost wrecked the game trying to wedge in a high temperature furnace as overflow for unused boards from the survivalist generators. I don't know what I did, but suddenly there was a geyser of wooden blocks erupted out of reach of where I was working, and I couldn't trace it out with everything that was going on.

Why aren't you using compressed versions?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

The Furnace Generators are more efficient.

Why aren't you using compressed versions?

I'm going to be very disappointed if Rocko Bonaparte doesn't come back with "I am using compressed ones!" :haw:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thyrork posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if Rocko Bonaparte doesn't come back with "I am using compressed ones!" :haw:

Sorry, what compressed stuff?

Meanwhile, can somebody lead me through the process in gendustry of getting some bees to do more exotic dyes? Agrarian Skies has thwarted me from using dye seeds like I normally use, and it looks like stuff like red coloring is a little bit harder to do. Bees can do it. I never really played with that poo poo before, but it sounds like with gendustry, I won't want to rip off my face while trying. I'm at the point where I have an advanced mutatron, and an industrial apiary with automation upgrade. I have some random lovely princess and some random lovely drones just kind of going in there for some honeycombs for now. How do I progress towards, say, getting some red wax or whatever it is?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you search in NEI for the color of bee you want - red princess, blue princess, whatever - then it'll show you the breeds you need to combine in the mutatron to get it. However if you're just trying to do the purple dye quest and don't want to get heavily into bees (don't get heavily into bees), then just do the Seed Oil quest instead - one of the rewards is a free purple princess and purple drone. Chuck those into an industrial apiary with an automation upgrade, itemduct the output to a barrel of purple combs with overflow going to a chest somewhere. You can check back every so often to toss any new princesses into new apiaries to up your production rate.

edit: If you DO want to get into bees you madman, then you need to chuck redstone into a Mutagen Producer, pipe the mutagen into your Advanced Mutatron (or just put them next to each other), then put some labware in the top slot, and the drone and princess you want to crossbreed to get the target species you want. NEI can tell you which species combine into which.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Sigma stirs once more. You Will Die All Over Again. :black101:

Currently doing internal testing, release will be in a week or sooner. If you know how to talk to us, get on our TS3 and get in on the testing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Couple Mekanism questions.

- Did Enriched Iron have some independent use in the past that warrants its existence? Running iron through the infuser twice to get steel is a little odd.

- I made some energy upgrades for my new machines but I can't put them in the slot, help :( nevermind, turns out NEI being on gets in the way

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Couple Mekanism questions.

- Did Enriched Iron have some independent use in the past that warrants its existence? Running iron through the infuser twice to get steel is a little odd.

- I made some energy upgrades for my new machines but I can't put them in the slot, help :( nevermind, turns out NEI being on gets in the way
Yes. Enriched Iron and the Alloy used to have different recipes and uses. Mekanism didn't even use steel at one point.

Shift+click on your upgrades. It will shove them in.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is Astral Silver good for anything? I'm poring over that spreadsheet and material reference page from earlier (thanks a ton for that, by the way!) and I cannot IMAGINE what I'd use it for.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is Astral Silver good for anything? I'm poring over that spreadsheet and material reference page from earlier (thanks a ton for that, by the way!) and I cannot IMAGINE what I'd use it for.

What is this spreadsheet?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
With so many materials it wouldn't surprise me if some of them are just objectively worse than others that are available at the same time. That said, the stats on Astral Silver are so ridiculously bad I wonder if the chart might be incorrect.

edit: This is the reference page we're talking about.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Painterly question for you guys:

See the grey/white grass? it also happens to leaves on a greatwood tree. I'd like to fix that. If anyone knows if theres some mod supported painterly textures i'll also take that too. 90% of the stuff in modded MC fits fine with painterly but ores are an eyesore.

E: As for Astral Silver, can it be alloyed? Its product might be superior.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
No alloys for Astral Silver, but it's one of the three metals that can be turned into dust for powering an Abstractor. That's about its only real use, from what I can tell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is AE2 at the point in development where the autocrafter can be built yet?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Ciaphas posted:

Is AE2 at the point in development where the autocrafter can be built yet?

Has been for awhile now, but it's not the MAC of old, there is a new system involving Quantum Assemblers and Interfaces. It's really nice, but a bit tedious until you start getting a handle on it all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cerepol posted:

What is this spreadsheet?

Here, go hog wild.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mzbundifund posted:

If you search in NEI for the color of bee you want - red princess, blue princess, whatever - then it'll show you the breeds you need to combine in the mutatron to get it. However if you're just trying to do the purple dye quest and don't want to get heavily into bees (don't get heavily into bees), then just do the Seed Oil quest instead - one of the rewards is a free purple princess and purple drone. Chuck those into an industrial apiary with an automation upgrade, itemduct the output to a barrel of purple combs with overflow going to a chest somewhere. You can check back every so often to toss any new princesses into new apiaries to up your production rate.

edit: If you DO want to get into bees you madman, then you need to chuck redstone into a Mutagen Producer, pipe the mutagen into your Advanced Mutatron (or just put them next to each other), then put some labware in the top slot, and the drone and princess you want to crossbreed to get the target species you want. NEI can tell you which species combine into which.
I wanted red dye for trying to make a house that was not ugly. Making purple was secondary because I think amaranth will do it. Also I decided to see the hubub with bees since apparently gendustry makes it tolerable. The industrial apiary is very nice, but I see why forestry breeds so much contempt.

Apparently I need valiant bees to work my way to something that will produce red dye. Do you know how to expedite finding a drone of one? I read they are rare to forest hives, but elsewhere I read any hive has a chance for them. What kind of chance are we talking about?

I also can't get the ex nihilo scented hive to work. I was trying to get a forest hive by parking it under oak leaves in a forest biome. I got nothing. In fact, it has failed every time, for every place I have tried.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wanted red dye for trying to make a house that was not ugly. Making purple was secondary because I think amaranth will do it. Also I decided to see the hubub with bees since apparently gendustry makes it tolerable. The industrial apiary is very nice, but I see why forestry breeds so much contempt.

Apparently I need valiant bees to work my way to something that will produce red dye. Do you know how to expedite finding a drone of one? I read they are rare to forest hives, but elsewhere I read any hive has a chance for them. What kind of chance are we talking about?

I also can't get the ex nihilo scented hive to work. I was trying to get a forest hive by parking it under oak leaves in a forest biome. I got nothing. In fact, it has failed every time, for every place I have tried.

You don't need to use scented hives at all, ever. Just do the bee quests -- they reward bees and hives and you should get valiant drones from one of the reward bags or quest rewards. Then, your queens will occasionally leave behind two princesses when they die.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ex Nihilo scented hives have a frustratingly high failure rate. Even if all conditions are correct, they still fail to turn into actual beehives nine times out of ten. I tried to get some wintry bees, expanded to a taiga biome, threw snow everywhere, added some flowers, and put down fifteen scented hives. Only one of them became an actual hive, and it dropped a single wintry drone.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I've had trouble finding a specific answer, but is there a difference to how forge mods work versus mods directly for a bukkit server? Iirc a bukkit mod only needs to be server side generally, but does something that uses forge need to be used on a clients launcher as well?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie #246 posted:

I've had trouble finding a specific answer, but is there a difference to how forge mods work versus mods directly for a bukkit server? Iirc a bukkit mod only needs to be server side generally, but does something that uses forge need to be used on a clients launcher as well?

Yeah Forge mods need client side mods that's why people use mod launchers like Technic and Feed the Beast.

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009
Is there some special trick to use when transferring fluids via MFR plastic pipes? Every time I try it, I lose exactly 5mB of fluid in the pipes. How do I extract that last little drop?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

You don't need to use scented hives at all, ever. Just do the bee quests -- they reward bees and hives and you should get valiant drones from one of the reward bags or quest rewards. Then, your queens will occasionally leave behind two princesses when they die.

Yeah we had a pile of hives and I just went on a spree. I got a valiant queen, a bunch of valiant princesses, and two drones. Will that reproduce in an industrial apiary?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah we had a pile of hives and I just went on a spree. I got a valiant queen, a bunch of valiant princesses, and two drones. Will that reproduce in an industrial apiary?

Yep, industrial apiaries are good for just about everything. I got OBLIVION FRAMES (:laugh:) in one of my reward bags, so I ended up using them in a normal apiary to grunt through some of the initial bee breeding before I had the power stack and resources for gendustry stuff, but other than that you can use the industrial apiaries for everything.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Rutibex posted:

Yeah Forge mods need client side mods that's why people use mod launchers like Technic and Feed the Beast.

Ah ok thank you. Any launcher pack you would recommend?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

If you're asking Ruti, just pick something from 1.2.5 and then cry

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RaspberryCommie posted:

Says invalid Technic platform redirect URL

That's odd, if I click the link it brings me to the mod's page. If you want the link that needs to be pasted into the Technic launcher, this is it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is this a good thread to advertise OpenComputers programs I've written? If not, is there a good one?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Is this a good thread to advertise OpenComputers programs I've written? If not, is there a good one?

I don't know a thing about OpenComputers, but if you did a neat and cool thing with a Minecraft mod it probably has a right to be posted here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie #246 posted:

I haven't played any recent ones. Minecraft updates quite a bit and often great mods will be left behind; and the ones that don't end up getting "balanced" over and over again until they aren't any fun. Most of the mods I enjoy aren't updated any more. My favorite pack would have to be "Tekkit Classic" on the Technic launcher. Someone else might be able to direct you to a more recent one:

http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit-classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIKJ3u2VTY

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 1, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know a thing about OpenComputers, but if you did a neat and cool thing with a Minecraft mod it probably has a right to be posted here.
All right, then. OpenComputers is a Minecraft mod that adds craftable and programmable computers (similar to ComputerCraft, but not identical; mainly, as I understand it, computers are more complicated to make and less likely to choke the server.) The computers are programmed in Lua, and I figured I'd write a simple computer game to learn the language.

This, of course, proved to be less simple than anticipated.

Kalah is the game in the mancala family most Americans mean when they say 'mancala'. I've implemented it in OpenComputers, complete with an AI opponent of variable intelligence in case you don't have a second player. You can play variations of the game with one to eight seeds per house, and while it fits on a floppy and runs on a tier 1 computer, it supports larger screens with a fancier board, like so:

L       K       J       I       H       G
        ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗
        ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║
        ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║
        ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║
        ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝

╔═════╗                                                 ╔═════╗
║┌───┐║                                                 ║┌───┐║
║│ 0 │║                                                 ║│ 0 │║
║└───┘║                                                 ║└───┘║
╚═════╝                                                 ╚═════╝
  P 2                                                     P 1
        ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗ ╔═════╗
        ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║ ║  ∙  ║
        ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║ ║     ║
        ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║ ║∙   ∙║
        ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═════╝
           A       B       C       D       E       F

I'd like to work my way up to bigger and better games, but that kind of depends on someone other than me actually having an interest in coding retro games that you can play inside your game. If that might be you, you can get the code at Pastebin. Save yourself some trouble, though: craft a computer with an internet card, and use 'pastebin get qmT6AQmY kalah.lua -f' to download the file. (Yes, you can use the internet from inside Minecraft! There's even an IRC client! The future oooOOOooo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm playing Agrarian Skies right now, otherwise I'd just load that right up. You probably discovered Lua can be pretty annoying. What kind of development environment did you ultimately end up using? The worst part is trying to step debug in a way that mimics its real behavior in Minecraft.

In unrelated BEES news, we were running low on redstone, so I took a shot at an excited queen. After I burned the roof off my barn, I figured out they cause lightning strikes. That's nice. I'll just let me blood sapling farm work overnight instead.

The barn roof needed replacing anyways, since it was not a typical dutch barn roof that people think of. Next time I'll try to make it out of black-painted bloodwood, as I have a ton of that now. The barn walls gave no shits about the lightning.

• Locked thread