Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

facebook jihad posted:

Eh...maybe it's just me being influenced by the more serious English dubs, but characters who tried to impale enemies with tree trunks and break children's necks who did poses is a bit of a different scope than 'Burter's mom was really mean that's why he's so fast'. But whatever.

The Japanese just have different standards for what they show children. Death is less of a taboo than America's NEVER MENTION IT EVER THEY WERE JUST ROBOTS WITH PARACHUTES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flytrap posted:

The Japanese just have different standards for what they show children. Death is less of a taboo than America's NEVER MENTION IT EVER THEY WERE JUST ROBOTS WITH PARACHUTES.

It was a cargo robot.

And the cargo was people!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Flytrap posted:

I've seen episodes of Super Sentai make jokes about suicide. Not even a fansub translation thing, like a visual gag with a noose.
It's pretty bizarre sometimes.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I've seen episodes of Super Sentai make jokes about suicide. Not even a fansub translation thing, like a visual gag with a noose.

Looney Toons and some older Disney cartoons did that dozens of times. Not really as bizarre as you think. v:v:v

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

American shows used to do that too. Old Tom and Jerry cartoons had a bunch of suicide gags, and there's that old Micky Mouse strip where Micky gets dumped by Minnie and spends the rest of his time trying and failing to commit suicide.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's funny, as most Japanese animators from the 80's and 90's grew up watching those shows and were inspired to incorporate a lot of western comedy from the early 1900's into their stuff then, and in turn Japanese animators now are inspired by their own animators from the 80's and 90's and don't shy away from that type of comedy anymore.

Meanwhile, in the US, controversies happened and safety regulations got involved and here we are.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Flytrap posted:

American shows used to do that too. Old Tom and Jerry cartoons had a bunch of suicide gags, and there's that old Micky Mouse strip where Micky gets dumped by Minnie and spends the rest of his time trying and failing to commit suicide.

The 40s-50s were a lot looser with the material they showed children in the media. If you have the time you should look up the covers of the EC comics, off the top of my head there were covers with a man blowing his head off with a handgun, a victim who had bludgeoned to death with a hammer, and a woman who's head had just been cut off with a knife. And these were marketed to children.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

facebook jihad posted:

The 40s-50s were a lot looser with the material they showed children in the media. If you have the time you should look up the covers of the EC comics, off the top of my head there were covers with a man blowing his head off with a handgun, a victim who had bludgeoned to death with a hammer, and a woman who's head had just been cut off with a knife. And these were marketed to children.

The marketed to children bit is debatable. Before television comics were the go to cheap disposable entertainment for all ages.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One Piece's SBS sections are a pretty good example of what happens when you give questions to a japanese kids comic book author. It is, coincidentally, the greatest world-building tool a writer has at their disposal.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Has there been any word of late if the Funi Dub is going to replace any of the Voice Actors for Kai during Buu Saga? Because they better not get rid of Justin Cook

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Flytrap posted:

While not the highest forms of art shows like 0079, Zeta Gundam and Victory gundam where meant for kids. :shepface:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the "kids should not learn about death because death is bad"-thing is a joint venture between christian reactionaries and Disney-style sanitization.

Watching stuff like Robocop and Predator as a kid fixes it, though, which is good. Entertainment-induced PTSD is good.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

I think the "kids should not learn about death because death is bad"-thing is a joint venture between christian reactionaries and Disney-style sanitization.

Watching stuff like Robocop and Predator as a kid fixes it, though, which is good. Entertainment-induced PTSD is good.

The highest aspiration anyone has in life is to watch Robocop though.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The highest aspiration anyone has in life is to watch Robocop though.
As they should.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quakster posted:

As they should.

Is there a kind of PTSD that just makes you better as a human being?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Is there a kind of PTSD that just makes you better as a human being?
Probably not, but there is a kind that turns you into a goon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I rewatched Piccolo vs Cell from Kai and it's really interesting how different that sequence is with only one voice in Piccolo's head.

Also, Goku woke up about two episodes later, so he's probably waking up in Abridged 44 or 45.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
New DBM out.

I can't stop reading that in TFS Vegeta's voice. :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh Cui, surely you knew it would end this way.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Neo_Crimson posted:

New DBM out.

I can't stop reading that in TFS Vegeta's voice. :allears:

Funny, I'm hearing Nicholas Cage.

It's the art, Veggie's face looks like his.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

Funny, I'm hearing Nicholas Cage.

It's the art, Veggie's face looks like his.

Dragonball Evolution 2 starring Nick Cage

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

HGH posted:

Dragonball Evolution 2 starring Nick Cage

I already like it more than the first.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KillerQueen posted:

I already like it more than the first.

Killing me won't bring back your goddamn planet!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'M A SUPER SAIYAN! I'M A SUPER SAIYAN! I'M A SUPER SAIYAN! I'M A SUPER SAIYAN!

*Flounces down the street*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On my way to see Battle of the Gods at the cinema!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
This form of abriged's Cell at least seems to be played with the same mindset as their Alucard, which is the best possible outcome in my opinion.

Speaking of which, has it been hinted anywhere that we might get a new Hellsing abridged this Halloween? I can't believe it's already been almost a year now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

bowmore posted:

On my way to see Battle of the Gods at the cinema!

I'm hoping this thread will one day let me know it's showing in the UK. I know it'll never happen, but a man can dream.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Vakal posted:

This form of abriged's Cell at least seems to be played with the same mindset as their Alucard, which is the best possible outcome in my opinion.

Speaking of which, has it been hinted anywhere that we might get a new Hellsing abridged this Halloween? I can't believe it's already been almost a year now.

It has always been done every Halloween.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prison Warden posted:

I'm hoping this thread will one day let me know it's showing in the UK. I know it'll never happen, but a man can dream.
If it's showing in Australia you can still hope

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I just realized something, why didnt they ever wish future trunk's people back with the dragon balls? Kind of a dick move to just send him back to his ruined planet.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't even begin to imagine the time travel paradox issues that comes with wishing back an entire population of people with a dragon from another reality

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a reason why Future Trunks wouldn't be able to go to Namek and make a wish with the Namekian dragon in his timeline? I assume that things like "getting a spaceship" aren't an issue because he got a time machine, and if he really needed one prime timeline could probably lend him a capsule.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there a reason why Future Trunks wouldn't be able to go to Namek and make a wish with the Namekian dragon in his timeline? I assume that things like "getting a spaceship" aren't an issue because he got a time machine, and if he really needed one prime timeline could probably lend him a capsule.

Isn't there a one year limit with the Namekian dragon? And do they even really know where new Namek is? I'm pretty sure it isn't where old Namek was, given Freeza was still floating around out there.

Like, Goku was the only one who ever travelled to new Namek, and that was through sensing ki.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Philosopher King posted:

I just realized something, why didnt they ever wish future trunk's people back with the dragon balls? Kind of a dick move to just send him back to his ruined planet.

The dragon can only revive people who died last year, you could probably blow its brains if you asked it to revive people who died in the past of a future alternate timeline.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Philosopher King posted:

I don't even know why he went back in time. He said that doing so won't fix HIS timeline, only ONE timeline out of a possible infinite variations.

Seems like a waste of valuable resources to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I don't even know why he went back in time. He said that doing so won't fix HIS timeline, only ONE timeline out of a possible infinite variations.

Seems like a waste of valuable resources to me.

I assumed he wanted an excuse to meet his dad and hey, he can do a solid for another timeline in the process, maybe pick up some tips.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
He flat out says it's just to ensure some time somewhere has a future. And if he can learn a weakness or two that the androids might have so much the better.

I wonder whatever happened with Buu in Trunk's time. I guess Babidi picked him up, left, took over heaven and in a few years Beerus showed up and vaporised him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

He flat out says it's just to ensure some time somewhere has a future. And if he can learn a weakness or two that the androids might have so much the better.

I wonder whatever happened with Buu in Trunk's time. I guess Babidi picked him up, left, took over heaven and in a few years Beerus showed up and vaporised him.

There's actually a game that covers that. The answer is a bunch more time travel.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Prison Warden posted:

Figured that stuff just never happened because of Multiverse theory or something.

Did Trunks know it was more universe crossing before he went in or did he think it was actual time travel? I know they cover the "science" behind it around the same time they do in abridged, but I keep thinking Trunks learned through trial and error that it wasn't actual time travel.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

In my theoretical remake of DBZ I would have his future erased because of the changes and have him killed by Cell in the Gohan fight to tie up the loose ends.

Prison Warden posted:

DBZ Budokai: Another Road.

• Locked thread