Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wow fetches? This set keeps getting better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
There were toxxes both ways on this, weren't there? Come forward and own up/gloat.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

neetengie posted:

Ob Nixilis confirmed the fetches back in M15. We didn't listen!

I love how this was said a number of times in half-jest, with a "...nah...", and then it turned out to be spot-on.

I really love that Modern just became a whole lot more affordable.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Fetches kinda came out of nowhere but this is pretty awesome.. I was already going to buy a box of Khans. Now I'm going to be drafting it every week too. And I don't even draft that often.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Between mana confluence and fetches, I'll happily keep playing variations of burn/big red. That Sarkan planeswalker is gross for certain burn decks that tend to go into topdeck mode if the game goes too long.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

bhsman posted:

Stuff goons Veyrall specifically said wouldn't be in Tarkir:
-Delve
-Fetches
ftfy

Sleep of Bronze posted:

There were toxxes both ways on this, weren't there? Come forward and own up/gloat.
I didn't :toxx: myself on it, but I did stick my neck pretty far out on both of those points.

Veyrall posted:

They are never reprinting fetch lands.

Veyrall posted:

The Sultai mechanic is not delve.

Veyrall posted:

That being said, if this ends up being in Khans...I will still maintain that I was right, and that Wizards screwed up.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 31, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What a Judas posted:

Don't hold your breath for this.

jassi007 posted:

There is no possible way a large set can sustain a land about $30 with standard playable mythics. I just don't see it. The EV on cracking boxes would be better than what they sell for and thus drive the price down.

Also this set is going to be opened so much, people who normally do not buy boxes are going to just because of fetches, and every modern/legacy player is going to draft the gently caress out of this set. Come Christmas we'll not be paying more than $15 for blue fetches.

Of course, the prices for the Onslaught ones and the judge promo ones are probably pretty safe, it's just the new ones that will be cheap. For a while. (get 'em get 'em get 'em)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Older printings of the Fetches will fall a little but they won't get to the prices these new ones will while they're being opened.

Having all 10 in Modern will relieve some of the price pressure on the Zendikar ones though. Once these start being opened all the Fetches will start to fall a little bit and the new ones will probably start high-ish in price but will steadily fall until the release of Louie at which point Khans will no longer be opened in Draft and prices will have hit their low.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

Of course, the prices for the Onslaught ones and the judge promo ones are probably pretty safe, it's just the new ones that will be cheap. For a while. (get 'em get 'em get 'em)

You are right about old prices, they'll fall some. I think the gw, rg, rb ones will fall off more, maybe by 50% like Thoughseize? They aren't that popular in legacy. Although they will become useful in modern. The blue ones won't fall off as much.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Off-topic to the announces, but is there any way to test a deck in MTG Online without actually owning the cards in your collection? I just started an account there and stumbled on a deck list that looks like fun for Standard, but buying everything for it would be about $100 and I don't wanna throw that down and end up with an unfun or uncompetitive deck.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

On magiccardmarket the prices of ZEN fetches like Scalding Tarn and Misty Rainforest have already dropped by like 10 euros today, I think. Mistys war around 35 in the morning (lowest NM), now they're around 25. I bought 3 mistys a few months ago, but it's cool cause I need them to play anyway.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Off-topic to the announces, but is there any way to test a deck in MTG Online without actually owning the cards in your collection? I just started an account there and stumbled on a deck list that looks like fun for Standard, but buying everything for it would be about $100 and I don't wanna throw that down and end up with an unfun or uncompetitive deck.

You can test stuff on cockatrice, check out https://www.woogerworks.com

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Sarcastro posted:

I love how this was said a number of times in half-jest, with a "...nah...", and then it turned out to be spot-on.

To be fair, if you're playing a six-drop specifically to hose lands that can be activated in response, you might be a very silly person. That's just a nice little bonus on top of hosing tutoring in general.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cactrot posted:

My one regret since the printing of back to nature, is that I won't be able to play junk constellation and put my opponent on tilt by singing the lyrics to Vincent as I draw cards off of eidolon of blossoms.

FWIW, I've been piloting Rock Stars/BG Constellation for two months and nobody has dropped Back to Nature on me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I nearly pulled the trigger on a $60 Misty on Deckbox last Friday for my Esper Mill deck :lol: Not only can I probably save some money now, but I can get better fetch coverage for that deck now with allied fetches! Not even mad about the three Marsh Flats I already grabbed at $35-40.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mine was specifically regarding the ZEN fetches. I think everyone else, too.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
It's going to be a pretty interesting test to see if common/uncommon outlast cards all end up being slightly worse than Chronomaton (Instant-Speed Outlast 1)

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I for one welcome our new horrendous-border fetchland overlords. The original printings will still retain a premium because they are way prettier and many people will prefer the old border, and more people will be able to play modern/legacy who were priced out previously.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Woapalanne posted:

To be fair, if you're playing a six-drop specifically to hose lands that can be activated in response, you might be a very silly person. That's just a nice little bonus on top of hosing tutoring in general.

Yeah, I know, it's just fun.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lurchington posted:

It's going to be a pretty interesting test to see if common/uncommon outlast cards all end up being slightly worse than Chronomaton (Instant-Speed Outlast 1)

Outlast doesn't tap, though, does it? You can pump as much mana as you want into it.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

goferchan posted:

Outlast doesn't tap, though, does it? You can pump as much mana as you want into it.
Outlast taps, and it's at sorcery speed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ShadeofBlue posted:

I can't think of any non-mythic rares that ever hit $30 while in print recently, although I feel like there must have been some. In any case, I hope (and do believe) that you are wrong. Still, a few months from now will definitely be the time to pick up 20 fetches.

EDIT: Mutavault! Knew there had to be one. Still, Mutavault is colorless and from a set that got opened less than an average non-core large set.

Thragtusk probably would have if he hadn't been in like 5 event decks.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

goferchan posted:

Outlast taps. It's in the Reminder Text.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Arid mesa will be...?

The dandruff infested scalp of dragon head hair.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mine was specifically regarding the ZEN fetches. I think everyone else, too.

Toxxing on the Zendikar fetches instead of the ones that were more likely to be reprinted (just to get them into Modern) seems like a great way to try and appear confident about things while being less likely to have to actually back that up. Especially when most of the discussion around that time was about reprinting the allied fetches.

Still, there are two more sets in the block...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jabor posted:

Toxxing on the Zendikar fetches instead of the ones that were more likely to be reprinted (just to get them into Modern) seems like a great way to try and appear confident about things while being less likely to have to actually back that up. Especially when most of the discussion around that time was about reprinting the allied fetches.

Still, there are two more sets in the block...

And this set's theme is change...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Mechanics of Khans of Tarkir.

Wierd to see an article go up on Sunday.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Calling it now, the zendikar fetches are going to be in the third set and have the reverse theme, ie, they're going to depict dragons everywhere and say "where there were no dragons there are dragons"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cernunnos posted:

So the new mechanic is "power 4 or greater", they just slapped an ability word on it :effort:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just pulled the trigger on half a set of painlands that I would probably use.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
WHy does a green/blue card have zero green mechanics :)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is he referring to Ajani?

That's adorable. :3:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Is he referring to Ajani?

That's adorable. :3:

I'm pretty sure he's referring to his own spark awakening. In last week's Uncharted Realms we learned that he basically had a dragongasm on a battle and set fire to, well, everything.

netcat posted:

The Temur mechanic will probably play with big creature ETB effects. "Build around ETB power/toughness effects" is occasionally a GU effect, see Evolve and the M15 GU "deck".

Zorak fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 31, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

netcat posted:

The green mechanic is "being efficiently costed" :)

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
That artifact is cool as hell to have at common, and that Bond-Kin actually gives me hope for Outlast being useful.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kasonic posted:

That artifact is cool as hell to have at common, and that Bond-Kin actually gives me hope for Outlast being useful.

That Bond-Kin makes me sad that the Evolve mechanic is rotating out when it rotates in. :sigh:

Phalanx Leader makes that card bonkers though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm reading Ferocity as "If you control Polukranos/Stormbreath Dragon <thing happens>."

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zemyla posted:

Hey guys?

Temur's mechanic definitely isn't "4 power or greater".

I know this because if it were, it would have been ability worded on the enchantment earlier. Because Maro said if he were redoing Shards, he would have given Naya's ability an ability word.

I found this convincing, for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

These cards are all fairly efficient and seem great for limited. Except for anything with Delve, that mechanic is going to need some serious enablers not to suck.

• Locked thread