Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If people are breaking your laptop then why are you still putting the screen in the tray table lip? Fool me once...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thoguh posted:

If people are breaking your laptop then why are you still putting the screen in the tray table lip? Fool me once...

Nobody puts their screen in the tray table lip unless they're retarded. However, when someone moves the seat back, the lock for the tray table protrudes the most and that strikes the back of the screen. Usually it just cracks the plastic.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nobody puts their screen in the tray table lip unless they're retarded. However, when someone moves the seat back, the lock for the tray table protrudes the most and that strikes the back of the screen. Usually it just cracks the plastic.

Do you fly a lot of tourist routes? I find that flights filled with business travelers, people will ease back way slow if they do recline.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Do you fly a lot of tourist routes? I find that flights filled with business travelers, people will ease back way slow if they do recline.

Not really. I only have problems on CRJ2s (most of the rest of the time I'm in Y+ or F) - and it's only happened twice in like 700+ segments.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Guys what if the left side of the plane had a no recline rule (during non-red eye flights).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The trackpad is a pain in the rear end, so I just use the stupid little eraser nubbin thing. Works way better and your hand is at a more natural angle.

The Keyboard Clitoris?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
The common theme among the people complaining about seat reclining appears to be people doing work in economy. Maybe the answer is to stop doing that?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Slamming back would be a dick move. The :qq:bruised knees:qq: argument I see everywhere is just exaggeration though, right?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pvt Dancer posted:

Guys what if the left side of the plane had a no recline rule (during non-red eye flights).

yeah that'll work people will totally respect it and everyone books their seats knowing that.

I couldn't care less either way on this issue. Hell, take out the recline. Physically I am built for being crammed like a sardine and if more people are "discouraged" from flying because of this then good for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Tall guy: I recline like an inch because it changed my life as far as back pain. I recline slowly so I don't break anything. I feel this fair.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Slamming back would be a dick move. The :qq:bruised knees:qq: argument I see everywhere is just exaggeration though, right?

Pretty much. If it's that big of a problem keep some broom handle and clothesline with you; I guarantee they'll only recline on you once.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
6'5" here. Some planes it loving kills my knees when people recline. Notably the md80s (I think) on delta and United Regional jets. Other planes it is just generally uncomfortable and annoying.

Sitting next to a sweaty hambeast is worse though. Probably my biggest southwest complaint is the number of fatsos that seem to choose the airline over others. Really really fat people on SW are cool with me because they buy two seats. My problem is the tweeners who are not fat enough for the two seat policy buy still really wide (and sweaty)

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

The common theme among the people complaining about seat reclining appears to be people doing work in economy. Maybe the answer is to stop doing that?

If a company expects you to work on flights, then you need to be in an environment with enough room to do it- econ plus, business, or first.

(I know this doesn't really happen but it would be nice if it did)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Think best guide line is just to turn around and give a quick look before you recline. It's like some unspoken heads up and words wonders.

Problem is that people do like to slam their seats back :smith:

oxsnard posted:

Sitting next to a sweaty hambeast is worse though. Probably my biggest southwest complaint is the number of fatsos that seem to choose the airline over others. Really really fat people on SW are cool with me because they buy two seats. My problem is the tweeners who are not fat enough for the two seat policy buy still really wide (and sweaty)

Didn't some goon shared a link about some airline which charges by total weight :krad:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I think it was Samoan air. Which is hilarious since Samoa is the fattest in the world

http://m.newser.com/story/74949/samoa-tops-list-of-fattest-countries.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you ever fly on little planes, like Cape Air's 402s, they ask you your weight when you board so they can distribute everything correctly. Pretty funny to hear a guy who clearly is 200+ give his weight as 180.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

This thread has me very thankful for being roughly the size of a fighter pilot at 5'7" 165.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

MickeyFinn posted:

I need to bang out a little work man. There's a lot that doesn't let up just because i'm traveling.

It is, however, why at least part of me laments the prevalence of on board wifi...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Aristotle Animes posted:

I need to bang out a little work man.

He'd have to be little to bang in an economy seat.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you ever fly on little planes, like Cape Air's 402s, they ask you your weight when you board so they can distribute everything correctly. Pretty funny to hear a guy who clearly is 200+ give his weight as 180.

That's incredibly dangerous; people should read up on Air Midwest 5481 before they do stupid things like that.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

He'd have to be little to bang in an economy seat.

im gay

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Mackieman posted:

That's incredibly dangerous; people should read up on Air Midwest 5481 before they do stupid things like that.

b-b-b-butttt my weight is a trigger for me waaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Mackieman posted:

Is there some reason they can't have a scale at the gate or something? Some reason other than fat people would complain, I mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MickeyFinn posted:

Is there some reason they can't have a scale at the gate or something? Some reason other than fat people would complain, I mean.

That Air Midwest flight is exactly why CapeAir asks for weights.

I haven't seen a scale. I bet they just hedge up from what everyone says, but it gets them in the ballpark.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

The plane is supposed to have sensors but most shite contract airlines that run those puddle jumping Saabs and poo poo have dubious maintenance and you can tell.

I remember a flight on a q400 when there was gonna be an involuntary denied boarding due to weight if no one would volunteer for the next flight so the FA had them unload 30 bags, pointed at them while barking at us that all those bags are gonna be a day late or lost if someone didn't volunteer this instant.

nobody budged. Boy was that a pleasant flight. I guess republicair doesn't like to pay out the comp for IDBs.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Reminds me of an Air Asia flight with some friends where they let too many board, as in no seat assignment and at the end there were 2 people left standing like dumbasses. They refused to get off and the crew let us know that they wouldn't leave until two people did. After an hour and a half standoff they finally upped the reward, some locals took it and we were on our way. I wonder how much loitering at a gate for that long costs.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I've passed up so many opportunities to take the vouchers I should probably go confess to the bad with money thread.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Do only straight people bang? If so, I'm sorry to hear that.

Tomorrow finally marks my first day on the job. It'll take a couple of weeks to ramp up, but I'm anxious to find out where my first on-the-job trip will be.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Tomorrow finally marks my first day on the job. It'll take a couple of weeks to ramp up, but I'm anxious to find out where my first on-the-job trip will be.

Congrats! You're going to Skymall's HQ with a side trip to Hammlecher Schlammcher or whatever the gently caress to see THE Self Compacting Garbage Can

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

Give it 6 months and you'll be cynical and burned out like the rest of us! :thumbsup:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Congrats! You're going to Skymall's HQ with a side trip to Hammlecher Schlammcher or whatever the gently caress to see THE Self Compacting Garbage Can

Ah yes, Hammacher Schlemmer, making Brookstone look like a loving deal since 1993.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Buy a programmable talking scale that shames you for finishing restaurant portions, you disgusting fatty gently caress. You're gonna die by 40.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So my complaint about airline seats are that they make my tailbone hurt. I'm 6'2", 195# and can get reasonably comfortable unless i'm in the window seat of a regional jet. But something about airline seats kill my tailbone. I need to start carrying a hemorrhoid cushion.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

So my complaint about airline seats are that they make my tailbone hurt. I'm 6'2", 195# and can get reasonably comfortable unless i'm in the window seat of a regional jet. But something about airline seats kill my tailbone. I need to start carrying a hemorrhoid cushion.

United's newer slimline coach seat design seems especially bad to me in this regard. It feels like the cushion may as well just be painted on.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

kitten smoothie posted:

United's newer slimline coach seat design seems especially bad to me in this regard. It feels like the cushion may as well just be painted on.

Depending on the flavor, they actually have decent padding; the issue is that the seat pan is too short so there isn't much support, causing pain. But all airlines worldwide are installing them as fast as they can, so it will be the new normal soon.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Yeah there's no going back on those. United reached out for feedback early on when they started installing them earlier this year on the airbii 319/20s. They got a very bad reaction from me when they gave me a survey. The ones on the 737 have improved in height but the seat depth is still terrible. I can't handle a 2hr flight on the seats that are lower to the floor. Those kill my back but I did a Tcon in y not too long ago on the 737 with slimlines and it didn't hurt like I thought it would.

I object to not having any storage for a water bottle in the seatback pocket.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 30, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would happily lay down and let them stack me like cord wood. Like that space plane in 5th element.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

I would happily lay down and let them stack me like cord wood. Like that space plane in 5th element.

Yeah I always dreamt of flying like that. Just install rails to each compartment and we just slide ourselves out for bathroom breaks or something.

The only problem would be fat people. They can't even buy 2 seats to fly.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

MCI is a joke of an airport. Frigging car rental building is a grandeur the traffic of a regional airport could never fill.

jokes on me tho, the dick thats flying on a Sunday afternoon before labor day after working Saturday. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

Yeah I always dreamt of flying like that. Just install rails to each compartment and we just slide ourselves out for bathroom breaks or something.

The only problem would be fat people. They can't even buy 2 seats to fly.

Offering up something like the crew rest cabin in the A380 is never going to happen, but it would be awesome.