Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

CrazyLittle posted:

Yet you don't require the same level of scrutiny for a vindictive ex who shopped his sob-story around multiple forums. He's still an "ex" regardless of who dumped who. You got played.

ah, whataboutism

couldn't find anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Speaking of Atheism+, they launched a fundraiser to celebrate their second anniversary. The funds would go towards a "scholarship for a marginalized atheist intersectional-feminist-activist student" (stop laughing).

Here's how they did....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atheism-plus-2nd-anniversary-celebratory-donation#home

:laffo:

Most of a+ jumped-ship to the skeptics anyway, which was built on the foundation of assuming everyone wants to rape you to the point that bill nye and neil degrasse tyson are unchallenged geek rapelords

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

canada jezus posted:

What did the ex say that wasn't verified, honest question, he's been posting what i can only assume is ALL of their facebook messages.

the only thing people jumped the gun on were 2 of the 5 identities, which have been retracted by most people involved in this

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AkumaHokoru posted:

You know back when Gamepro/EGM/Gamefan were going EGM started calling a spade a spade trashing games that were bad but being pushed by a publisher trying to make their money back, then printed letters from publishers who threatened to pull advertising/pre-review rights if they didnt kiss rear end. EGM Refused and lost quite a few sponsors for it. that poo poo made me start collecting EGM.

People who have been saying there hasnt been a fight against corruption in gaming media also don't remember the backlash at things like the Spike TV Video Game awards Doritogate and Gamespot firing writers over giving games that sucked bad reviews. The reason people who actually do play video games stopped reading all those mags were because they started becoming just advertisements. Game informer died when it sold itself to gamestop and became gamestop's way of pushing games they knew they werent going to move many copies of.

haha doritogate what the gently caress

beeteedubs: doritos taste p good

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
Doom 2 was sexist because the imps weren't female.

source your quotes, lol.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

haha doritogate what the gently caress

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dorito-pope

this can tell you more than i can explain yet this is the only game related site to not post an "attack on gamers" article

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Germstore posted:

insults and threats are the background radiation of the internet

Yeah and being in the public eye at all.

Back in the day this would be like if a celebrity or politicians tried to take the down the whole postal service because someone sent them a mean letter.

They'd be a laughingstock.

Now Zoe, Anita, and the game blogger weenies are laughingstocks because they believe in that kind of online censorship.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spiky Ooze posted:

The internet does that? What is it like Skynet now?

It only takes one or two nutjob to do those things and the nutjob is the one that should face a judge.

Lumping everyone else in with them is Dubya level scorched earth nonsense.

you just characterized your opponent's position as "criticism is rape" and you're lecturing me about nonsense

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Brown Menace posted:

ah, whataboutism

couldn't find anything?

I already did your dance once re: "does harassment exist." Your turn to find me the article that Zoe "bought."

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

I already did your dance once re: "does harassment exist." Your turn to find me the article that Zoe "bought."

RE:re: hey stupid HR lady stop putting your password on post-it notes on your loving monitor you dumb poo poo. She can't be fired, bosses daughter.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

also it doesn't matter whether zoe bought reviews with sex or not, what matters is that regardless, by normal journalism standards all such relations need to be disclosed, which they weren't

and in before "but they're just bloggers!" zoe tried that one and was rebuked by i believe totilo, who works for kotaku. so by their standards, they are journalists, and as such beholden to mentioning anything that might pose a conflict of interest. and this issue doesn't only involve zoe quinn, it also involves people like patricia hernandez, who went back and added disclaimers about her involvement with people she was covering to several of her old articles after this poo poo blew wide open

you'd know this if you had looked into this a bit more than "not at all"

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you just characterized your opponent's position as "criticism is rape" and you're lecturing me about nonsense

I'm using a misogynist dark art on you to baffle you it involves swinging my penis around at 6500 rpm please be silent while I continue to channel my man only secret power

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Wasn't one of the Five Guys a head of a contest committee that Depression Quest ultimately won?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

I'm using a misogynist dark art on you to baffle you it involves swinging my penis around at 6500 rpm please be silent while I continue to channel my man only secret power

it's almost like a rational adult faced with a conflict between "someone said stupid things on the internet" and "is then the victim of a campaign of harassment" recognizes the latter as more important

e: i basically avoided this whole shitstorm for as long as possible because zoe quinn is the last person you'd want as the public face of "women in nerd culture face a mountain of disproportionate bullshit" but come the gently caress on now

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 31, 2014

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

I once had sex on a boat, and threw up from sea sickness at the same time. i'm forever shamed.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
As a female, I probably get gamer++ privileges. :smug:
Get owned

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

The Landstander posted:

Wasn't one of the Five Guys a head of a contest committee that Depression Quest ultimately won?

yep

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I remember reading EGM and enjoying the comics. Good times.

http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=245990

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Landstander posted:

lol I forgot about that

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Get owned

I pegged you as a gay african american man with blonde hair who wears knee highs.

either way, still would.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CrazyLittle posted:

She didn't buy an article, much like 2 of the 5 guy's identities this was a premature leap of outrage on the internet. However since then the only people continuously yelling about her getting reviews for pussy seem to be people bringing it up to swat it down. The general argument with regards to Zoe and the writers is that she got beneficial coverage and coverage of things negative to her got reduced coverage. Like the whole Fine Young Capitalists debacle. During the controversial time period of cucking, she was brought up in several articles. Which could also be explained by her being good friends with journalists outside the sexing. It's a lot more nebulous, other than the Fine Young Capitalists portion, and is background to the general complaints about games writers being absolutely poo poo about transparency.

There's a reason the anti-"journalists" side isn't talking that much about Zoe and instead railing on other people's conflicts of interest. Zoe was a lovely catalyst, who turned out to be a lovely person, for the pent up anger of people on the internet.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

ColdReaches posted:

I pegged you as a gay african american man with blonde hair who wears knee highs.

either way, still would.

This post scares me

leaving my house

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Brown Menace posted:

also it doesn't matter whether zoe bought reviews with sex or not, what matters is that regardless, by normal journalism standards all such relations with be disclosed, which they weren't

So now you're shifting the goalposts on what the entire thing was about? No. Like I said earlier, you don't get to pick and choose what's center stage when the rape/death threats come out.

Look, if you really want Zoe Quinn to go away, then shut the gently caress up about her. If you want games journalism to "not be corrupt" or whatever delusional poo poo you think is happening, then start paying for content or start your own site. You're going to quickly find that your ideal only exists in abstract. There's no sector of journalism that exists in its own puritanical bubble.

Oh, and creating a crowd-funded wank-doll just to agree with yourselves is just creepy. Posting it here to support your point just shows that you're not actually seeking anything related to journalist standards.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Get owned

Maybe you'll get a free hat or something. Keep us posted.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's telling that everyone who was anyone at EGM during the salad days ended up in management positions or in completely different industries.

I think it's pretty much just Parish who is still in the thick and he's got a pretty freeform editorial position now where he gets paid to replay FF tactics and poo poo. All the guys like Shane and Milky are off doing real rear end work with real pay checks now.

There are guys who are doing real critical games review stuff but the only high profile one is that guy at Forbes and he cut his teeth as a real journo other places before doing games.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

This post scares me

leaving my house

THIS IS "some police department on a loud speaker"

LAY DOWN ON THE GROUND AND YOU WON'T GET HURT.

then suddenly you are in the Bahamas and a loving monkey steals your martini.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

The Landstander posted:

Lobster Harmonica posted:

lol I forgot about that

Robin Arnott/IndieCade.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There are guys who are doing real critical games review stuff but the only high profile one is that guy at Forbes and he cut his teeth as a real journo other places before doing games.

what's his name

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

guys insults based on gender or sexual history are totally not ok you virgin neckbeard MRA nerds

also lol if you don't see the very same people clutching their pearls about the harassment ~poor zoe~ has received as the ones sending equivalent threats to the dirty cishet game developer MRA mansplainers when they say something out of line

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

CrazyLittle posted:

So now you're shifting the goalposts on what the entire thing was about? No. Like I said earlier, you don't get to pick and choose what's center stage when the rape/death threats come out.

Look, if you really want Zoe Quinn to go away, then shut the gently caress up about her. If you want games journalism to "not be corrupt" or whatever delusional poo poo you think is happening, then start paying for content or start your own site. You're going to quickly find that your ideal only exists in abstract. There's no sector of journalism that exists in its own puritanical bubble.

Oh, and creating a crowd-funded wank-doll just to agree with yourselves is just creepy. Posting it here to support your point just shows that you're not actually seeking anything related to journalist standards.

you dont get to pick and choose what we talk about, i get to pick and choose, thats why im gonna flip and flounder like a dipshit any time you ask for any sort of evidence or even a coherent argument. why ask for evidence from zoe when you believe her whiny crybaby ex bf just because he provided a poo poo ton of evidence!?? charity? more like secret sex doll!!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Torka posted:

do you honestly think it's a coincidence that there's a huge correlation between games that are considered to be art and games that give the player gently caress all control over the outcome

well, i don't really follow what the ivory tower considers to be art but i consider art as "if it's a thing, it most likely has some form of artistic value"

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

CrazyLittle posted:

you're dancing to your own tune. you set those goalposts up yourself to begin with, since you had absolutely 0% proof for those "rape/death threats" which seem to be so rife and terrible that for ~reasons~ none of them can actually be shown, you know, as in proof, so you attempted the tired "YOU'RE NOT GIVING MEN AS HARD A TIME AS YOU ARE WOMEN :qq:" song and dance

which would bring us back to the issue: where are the threats, zoe. post the threats.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

A feminist gamer who became ant internet hit.

yep

reavor
Jul 24, 2013

quote:

well, i don't really follow what the ivory tower considers to be art but i consider art as "if it's a thing, it most likely has some form of artistic value"

i agree, if music, paintings, literature are considered arts, then many games contain all of those already with graphics, sounds/music and in-game texts. it's just that the player has some control.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Brown Menace posted:

which would bring us back to the issue: where are the threats, zoe. post the threats.

So you really don't care about journalism after all. Thanks for playing.

Oh, and thanks for donating :10bux: for the title.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Why would you donate to zoe when you could be donating to lowtax instead?

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
isnt it cool how this thread went from 200 pages of laughing at every retard involved in this mess to unironically picking sides in this internet slapfight

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

ColdReaches posted:

A feminist gamer who became ant internet hit.

yep

yeah and with her feminism the only gender that matters is that of the many many dead presidents.

all men :smuggo:

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Cycloneman posted:

Robin Arnott/IndieCade.

:lol: that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
This is a cool way to get girls involved with nerdy guy poo poo without being obnoxious about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYxlY3jNDw

• Locked thread