Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm not up on my Morph rules. When you pay 3 to play a morph card face-down as a creature, does that count as casting a creature spell? Can it be Essence Scattered? Does it count as casting a spell at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

I'm not up on my Morph rules. When you pay 3 to play a morph card face-down as a creature, does that count as casting a creature spell? Can it be Essence Scattered? Does it count as casting a spell at all?

Yep. Red Akroma morph-casted can be countered.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

Yes and yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure it's exactly the same as casting any other creature.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ok, cool. It just seemed like it might be one of those things like Bloodrush where it's an activated ability you're using from your hand. It still seems like a really weird and complicated mechanic for beginners, so I'm surprised they brought it back. I've never played in a standard / limited environment with morph around though, so I have no idea how it plays in practice.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Morph is really complicated, which is probably why all the other mechanics in the set are super straightforward

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Ciprian Maricon posted:

No, wall of roots ability is a mana ability, it doesn't use the stack, so SBA's aren't checked when its activated or resolves, SBAs would not be checked until the spell is completely cast and placed on the stack

Alternately: Wall of roots to float a mana, wall dies, cast a delve card, exile the wall and pay using the floated mana.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Morph is really complicated, which is probably why all the other mechanics in the set are super straightforward
There's also 6 mechanics in the set - like RTR they want to keep the mechanics approachable so limited doesn't become too complicated.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Will someone (Baron?) please make a morph overlay token with the Onslaught spooky spider?

It's at the top of my list of fun poo poo I want to do. Maybe later tonight when I have some spare time. Someone find me a high res version of that art, busy watching the Invitational and making sausage :chef:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

uruloki posted:

Alternately: Wall of roots to float a mana, wall dies, cast a delve card, exile the wall and pay using the floated mana.

That would work, yes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The invitational is on fire, literally.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Cactrot posted:

I guess someone hardcast 5 alarm fire.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Like, they have pyrotechnics, or call 911?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Aaaand the RUG mechanic is still the shittiest thing ever, except now it's for one power less and has a keyword on it. Thank god for those fetch lands, or else any hype I would have had for this set would have vanished with this. Seriously, why are all of the clan mechanics so drat....boring. Yeah they'll probably get a few good cards in those, but they are just bland, except for the RUG one which is just an outright joke.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Jenx posted:

Aaaand the RUG mechanic is still the shittiest thing ever, except now it's for one power less and has a keyword on it. Thank god for those fetch lands, or else any hype I would have had for this set would have vanished with this. Seriously, why are all of the clan mechanics so drat....boring. Yeah they'll probably get a few good cards in those, but they are just bland, except for the RUG one which is just an outright joke.

Morph at common eats a lot of the set's complexity budget. They made the other mechanics really straightforward to counterbalance that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jenx posted:

Prowess and Raid look fun and exploitable. Outlast has been shown to be pretty tricky as a slow, but powerful ability which supports stalling tactics.

Delve is kind of weak in limited, but potentially really strong in standard. As it stands, if Sultai gets some kind of self mill spell then it could get crazy.

Ferocity is the naya mechanic, but easier to activate, and also triggered by what I assume are the Temur tokens. Waiting for a Geist of Saint Traft, except making permanent bear tokens?

All together this seems more interesting than Theros at least.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gensuki posted:

Like, they have pyrotechnics, or call 911?

The fire alarm went off and they had to evacuate, they're back now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

An nwo no no?

If your theme isn't at common, it's not your theme. :v:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

drat, that ending of BUG vs Miracles Game 2...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cactrot posted:

The fire alarm went off and they had to evacuate, they're back now.

A part of me wanted 500+ legacy decks to burn to the ground.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

qbert posted:

A part of me wanted 500+ legacy decks to burn to the ground.

And part of SCG's inventory... :unsmigghh:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Pinwiz11 posted:

drat, that ending of BUG vs Miracles Game 2...

That was painful to watch.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

End of Life Guy posted:

I know we hate reddit around here, but this has been posted there for hours, and I didn't see it here, so:

Now that we know about Outlast, this makes a bit more sense- it allows you to charge up your guys and keep them back as blockers. This thing will probably be pretty good in limited, depending on how many Outlast guys you get.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
A wool sport coat and a fedora, lets do this!

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Man that misplay by Ingram...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Oh Blood Moon. What CAN'T you do?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://www.twitch.tv/pax2

Panel is live in 10 minutes. I'll try to screenshot cards.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Nibble posted:

Also I know it's great to print the allied fetches to get them into modern, but they seem a little out of place in this set. If you're building a wedge deck, only one allied fetch helps your fixing, whereas you could get use out of two enemy fetches.

I think just having the five allied lands works better thematically. This way each fetch land is associated with one clan just like each guild had their own shock land.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'd watch that, but seeing Reid Duke and Tom the Boss go at it has probably been the sexiest thing I've ever seen in Magic.

Dr. Strange M.D.
Oct 30, 2012
Stream is going. :frogsiren:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Getting away from Khans for now, today was the Glasgow WMCQ. Went 3-4, but bad ties meant I was 40th place (put of something like 70 players at the start.)

Had a coupke bad draws, so could have been 4-3 or even 5-2 at a push with some luck.

this was with Maze's End, though, so a good farewell to the deck.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lee Everett in Khans of Tarkir

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

qbert posted:

Oh Blood Moon. What CAN'T you do?

Generate non-red mana.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'm so glad I'm not a Magic player who gets bored and dismisses a set before the first preview week begins.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The apex of dragonhood.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Have some cool art

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Guy trying to avoid saying they live in Arid Mesas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah whatever you say about Magic's change in art direction, these landscapes are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Mardu Clan best Clan.

• Locked thread