Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I think the game looks like it could be a lot of fun. But wow, there's so much internet backlash against the Saints now. Seems like the series jumped the shark for all the gangsta genre fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

I think the game looks like it could be a lot of fun. But wow, there's so much internet backlash against the Saints now. Seems like the series jumped the shark for all the gangsta genre fans.

Well, it does kinda makes sense. Saint's Row 1-3 were, while increasingly crazy, all basically crime simulator games. Saint's Row IV went completely off the rails and Gat out of Hell looks like it's doubling down on that. If you liked Saint's Row for the "Grand Theft Auto but with a sense of fun" aspect, it's probably disheartening to see it going, literally, to hell.

That said, I liked Saint's Row IV's 'goofy-rear end puckish rogues fighting space villains" tone more than I liked SR2 or 3's so I can't really complain about that, but I can see where they're coming from.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 31, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Saints Row 2 is still my favourite and I do wish they'd do another one like that. I liked 3 and 4, but I've only completed each of them once, whereas SR2 is a game I'll just go back to and play through again and again. The main difference I feel isn't even the shift from the GTA style gangs and crime to the bigger, more epic plot, but just the fact that 3 and 4 are more "cinematic". A lot of what's great about them loses its impact once you've already seen it, whereas SR2 has a stronger core. It's just more fun to do again.

So whether they go for a more down-to-Earth sandbox crime game or a more action movie style thing, what I want is a return to the repeatability of the SR2 gameplay, less reliant on set-pieces.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, generally it seems that people who came into the franchise with SR2 are the ones who find the shift a bit unsettling if not downright stupid. On the other hand a lot of people that came into the series with 3 find the second one way too grimdark (purely anecdotal but not a single one of my friends who are 'new' to the Saints like SR2 Boss due to how sadistic they seem in cutscenes...).

Me, I loving love the way the series is going but my heart will always have a soft spot for the row itself.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, generally it seems that people who came into the franchise with SR2 are the ones who find the shift a bit unsettling if not downright stupid. On the other hand a lot of people that came into the series with 3 find the second one way too grimdark (purely anecdotal but not a single one of my friends who are 'new' to the Saints like SR2 Boss due to how sadistic they seem in cutscenes...).

Me, I loving love the way the series is going but my heart will always have a soft spot for the row itself.

I got into it with 2, and while I would absolutely love it if they kept expanding on that, at the same time I realize that a giant sandbox with the crazy amount of detail 2 required takes an insane amount of work, and Volition's been hounded by layoffs and publisher changes, so I can't blame them one bit for focusing on the fun. Maybe one day when they're rolling in cash we'll get a more grounded and detailed open world game, but you still gotta pay the bills, and dildo bats sell copies.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think there is always the option for a Saints Row 1 remake/reboot/origin story type deal if they wanted to go back to the older style of games... but I think trying to predict where the series is going based off an expansion DLC of Saints Row IV isn't really fair, since it is an expansion of Saints Row IV after all - what did you expect it to be like?

Personally I don't care what they do, as long as it is ridiculous, fun and co-op.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
There are bits of SR2 I really wish they would bring back (gift shops and such), but they could probably do away with having every mission spot available in free roam.

It's great that ti was available, but dear god there was absolutely nothing to do in most of them, except maybe a tag or a CD in like 95% of the non-shop interiors.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My first was SR2... but it was on PC, and long before I'd heard of Gentlemen of the Row, so my first impressions were not very good. Unbelievably awful port aside, I remember SR2 for its ridiculousness: hacking at yakuza on motorbikes with a katana; that shittastic boss fight with Veteran Child; invading a military base and stealing a container of radioactive waste simply to spike a dude's tattoo ink with it... all against a sweary backdrop that took itself far too seriously for what was actually happening.

I will give SR2 major props for having such a massive amount of space to gently caress around in, and things to do scattered around here and there. SR3 was a comfortable size for me, and SR4's cityscape felt kind of trivialized by the super-movement mechanics (which was fine, all things considered), but SR2 was really nice if you wanted to find a highway and cruise. And if it didn't crash to desktop and catch fire.

Edit: Yeah! There was something really bizarrely fun about the gift shops. I dunno what it was. Maybe running around, chasing Yaks with a foam-rubber stalagmite on your head.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Bieeardo posted:

all against a sweary backdrop that took itself far too seriously for what was actually happening.

Videogames can't take anything too seriously because they're not capable of thought.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, generally it seems that people who came into the franchise with SR2 are the ones who find the shift a bit unsettling if not downright stupid.

Came into the franchise with 2, didn't understand the backlash towards 3 and was happier than a pig in poo poo playing 4.

Basically what I'm saying is I love everything Saints. Or maybe Volition, really enjoyed Red Faction: Guerrilla. I recommend that if you're impatiently waiting for Gat.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Came into the franchise with 2, didn't understand the backlash towards 3 and was happier than a pig in poo poo playing 4.

Basically what I'm saying is I love everything Saints. Or maybe Volition, really enjoyed Red Faction: Guerrilla. I recommend that if you're impatiently waiting for Gat.

SR5: Pierce and the Boss wait impatiently next to a tree by the road.

To be followed by the epic conclusion, SR6: My Dinner With Shaundi.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I started with 3 when it was free on Xbox 360 and got IV on sale, played 2 inbetween 3 and IV 'cause people told me to. 2 had the best story but 3 better controls and gameplay. 3 really felt like the game I wanted after San Andreas that GTAIV wasn't. I didn't dislike SRIV but I found myself not caring as much about it (which I'll partly blame on my immersion being ruined by playing the same Boss but the voice I used in 2 and 3 no longer existing). I liked not superpowers better than superpowers, but it's not like I'm not going to get Gat Out Of Hell day one.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So Gat out of the Hell isn't just a redone Steelport after all. I'm more impressed, haha.

Also I came in with Saints Row 1 and have used the same voice across all 4 game. OG, bitches. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

I think you're reading 2011's internet. Get the latest version.

My introduction was SR2, and like I always say, SR2 and SR3+ are all great games, but for slightly different reasons. None's really better than the other and playing either one I'm missing things the other one did. And the gangsta crowd wasn't satisfied with SR2 either if the fanfic is any indication.

e: a series can do a drat sight worse than have each iteration feature familiar and unique elements side by side. Final Fantasy is making bank on that principle. Or used to. In my head it's still the 90s.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 31, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

This is what both 3 and IV were about, from a story perspective, by the way. 3 sort of asked who the Saints really were, let players try to answer on their own. That's why you could choose Gritty Revenge like most video games, or the Saints IV sort of silly, self aware sentimentality. IV is all about the backlash from that decision about the direction of the series.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Troy? :(

Why is Troy in Hell.

The 9th Circle of Hell is where all the traitors go. Troy is just sharing a home with Judas, Brutus, and Cassius.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Saints Row 5: we finally do something about Dex

bring it full circle, reboot the series back in Stilwater.

the last lines of the game is Dex, whispering "it's not ... THE Los Carnales"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Young Freud posted:

The 9th Circle of Hell is where all the traitors go. Troy is just sharing a home with Judas, Brutus, and Cassius.
Don't forget Diomedes and Odysseus because the Romans hated them for tricking their ancestors with a wooden horse.

Even though Diomedes himself spent his last days as a king in lower Italy and made up with Aeneas :hist101:

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Flying looks a little janky to me, like the jets but even worse. I was hoping for some sort of "Press X to flap wings" and actually get more height and speed, but nope.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's basically gliding but you have midair jumps that let you go higher and they recharge off wall jumps. It's a fun mechanic I think and the map is way more vertical map than even 4. Since it's hell the map is all torn apart and there's more of a necessity to use all the crazy movements powers. I was talking with idol on the pax floor and he said there's a ton more hidden little things and stuff around the map that can only be gotten to by glides and jumps.

It definitely seems like they are improving on all the complaints from 4.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm hoping you can pull off close-ground moves like flying low and clotheslining dudes with your wings or maybe even cutting them in half.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm assuming she probably has the same but it'd be cool if Kinzie's wings were different for whatever reason.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The demos only got Gat running around.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm assuming she probably has the same but it'd be cool if Kinzie's wings were different for whatever reason.

I'm hoping Kinzie has different melee combos too. Knives is kinda Gat's thing I guess.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So the recliner of death is Seven-Deadly-Sin-related. Gluttony's weapon should involve wearing a hot dog or beer bottle mascot outfit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

So the recliner of death is Seven-Deadly-Sin-related. Gluttony's weapon should involve wearing a hot dog or beer bottle mascot outfit.

And it should shoot fast food at the enemy in some way. Maybe a grease gun/flamethrower?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

Listen, animating females are too expensive to justify this.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Wait this isn't Ubisoft

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Mokinokaro posted:

I was thinking leather batwings would be more her style.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Krowley posted:

I'm hoping Kinzie has different melee combos too. Knives is kinda Gat's thing I guess.

Shouldn't be too hard to think of something for her :whip:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

And it should shoot fast food at the enemy in some way. Maybe a grease gun/flamethrower?

I agree, but maybe make it like the Inflato-ray and it distorts the enemy's torso, rather than just their head.

OK, so there's

Sloth - The confirmed machine gun recliner
Gluttony - Which will hopefully be food related

That leaves, Greed (Probably some variation of the Bling Shotgun from 3), Wrath, Envy, Lust, and Pride.

Pride should be a Jane Austen summon. Just have her come out and do some room clearing machine gun/grenade combo.

Lust, I would love to see as sort of an evolution of the dubstep gun. Go nuts with it, have it be the same basic effect, except instead of everyone bobbing to the beat, the actions are a bit more, "adult". I would however be disappointed if it's just a reskin of the rectifier.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I do like how Jezebel starts out wearing purple. Just in case it wasn't obvious enough she was going to be an ally/Saint by the end of this.

Convert everyone! :black101:

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Nah. Obviously greed is going to be the new dubstep gun.

It's a dubstep golden fiddle.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rookersh posted:

Troy? :(

Why is Troy in Hell.

And not even as a sick homie who you can rerecruit, but as one of the tormented husks you can free through insurance fraud.

Volition!
It should be if you help them out, they get restored to their original form and can be recruited :argh:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

achillesforever6 posted:

It should be if you help them out, they get restored to their original form and can be recruited :argh:

When did that person die anyway?

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

mastajake posted:

When did that person die anyway?

Some time around the annihilation of planet Earth, I would assume.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ah I had forgotten that development.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Watched the Warriors tonight and now I really want to play some loving Saint's Row.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If by some miracle, they managed to get the rights to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and made it into a Dubstep Gun track, they would get, just, all the money ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

heenato posted:

Nah. Obviously greed is going to be the new dubstep gun.

It's a dubstep golden fiddle.

THis needs to happen.

• Locked thread