Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RabidWeasel posted:

The Mon Scim parry got nerfed (then buffed, then nerfed again)

It isn't in the patch notes, is it? I didn't register it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
By the way, the Sir Alonne fight is so awesome to me. You're basically having a one on one duel with a samurai and I love it. It's up there with Lord Gwyn for me (yeah, he's apparently a bad final boss, but I love the idea of one on one duels with humanoid opponents).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

lordfrikk posted:

It isn't in the patch notes, is it? I didn't register it all.

Nope they just stealth fixed it because From.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

RabidWeasel posted:

The Mon Scim parry got nerfed (then buffed, then nerfed again) and it's now identical to the other curved swords for parrying, so if you were planning on using it for that reason then don't. I haven't ever had good results with the Warped Sword L2 spin attack but in theory comboing it with a really long weapon such as the washing pole would be best.

I haven't tried it personally but I heard that this doesn't work and that the Bewitched Sword doesn't powerstance in quite the same way as the other katanas.

On a related note I've been looking into DW or powerstance combos with the Estoc, is there anything that actually works better than another Estoc for the double thrust?

E: Someone just suggested Estoc + Majestic Greatsword to me, I don't even care how well it combos why didn't I think of how badass this is going to be.

The following is only about PvE. I don't know or care about PvP at all.

I think Majestic Greatsword won't powerstance with thrusting swords. I haven't specifically tried the estoc, but it won't with the espada ropera. If you want to try something else, curved swords are excellent as an offhand weapon for thrusting swords. The powerstance L1 covers the main weaknesses of thrusting swords: it hits things in a wide arc around you and it hits things low to the ground. What's more, you can get out an R1 more or less instantly following an L1, which lets you squeeze out a little extra damage when you only have a small window to attack. The curved sword running and rolling attacks also have great utility to complement a thrusting sword and chain very quickly into any of your moves. For use with an estoc, I would think the red rust scimitar would be best since it also scales best with strength. For other thrusting swords, you have more options. I went with warped sword, which worked very nicely. The L2 was not as useful as I hoped, but did occasionally make a big difference when I needed to simply empty my whole stamina bar into something and do as much damage as possible (Elana when she's summoning, for example).

Motherfucker posted:

Rapiers are all pretty samey yet I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice by not picking esparda ropera

I find the estoc and the espada ropera quite different. The estoc is all about versatility. It doesn't do all that much damage because of its lower counter modifier, but it has great reach, good poise damage and a wonderful moveset. The espada ropera is all about power. It only does one thing, but it does it really well. I have used it extensively in my most recent playthrough and it's truly a beast of a weapon. I was hitting the DLC bosses for 700+ per hit on the two-handed R2 (Old Leo Ring, RoB, Flynn's Ring and Sacred Oath), you frequently have time to attack twice and it's quite safe because of the speed of the attacks and low stamina consumption.

This is a very silly tangent, but I rather wish the espada ropera had a slashing move. By definition an espada ropera was a civilian dress sword (hence the name) that in contrast to a rapier was designed to be effective at both cutting and thrusting. The rapier was an Italian sword and the Italian school of martial arts held the thrust to be entirely superior to the cut. The Spanish school, however, never bought into that and Spanish sword makers designed their swords to be good at cutting. An estoc, by definition, is a sword with no edge and only a very stiff point that is incapable of cutting at all.

Gologle posted:

By the way, the Sir Alonne fight is so awesome to me. You're basically having a one on one duel with a samurai and I love it. It's up there with Lord Gwyn for me (yeah, he's apparently a bad final boss, but I love the idea of one on one duels with humanoid opponents).

I loved Fume Knight, but for some reason I hated fighting Sir Alonne. He just kept getting me with the same things over and over and I felt like I wasn't making any progress at all until the fight just clicked. And, I bowed to him and didn't heal and he still didn't do his special death animation. Argh.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can't take any damage and have to kill him in under 5 minutes, AFAIK.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I loved Fume Knight, but for some reason I hated fighting Sir Alonne. He just kept getting me with the same things over and over and I felt like I wasn't making any progress at all until the fight just clicked. And, I bowed to him and didn't heal and he still didn't do his special death animation. Argh.

I found I couldnt dodge one of Alonnes moves consistently (the slow timed long range slash move), so I just put on a shield and blocked it every time. It's not even so bad if it guardbreaks you, he's too slow to punish after it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't take any damage and have to kill him in under 5 minutes, AFAIK.

Yes.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Iretep posted:

I found I couldnt dodge one of Alonnes moves consistently (the slow timed long range slash move), so I just put on a shield and blocked it every time. It's not even so bad if it guardbreaks you, he's too slow to punish after it.

That was one of the ones that kept getting me. I didn't figure this out on my own, but I watched someone fight him on Youtube and saw you can dodge it easily if you roll backwards before he starts the attack. But a shield does make that fight a lot easier. Some of his attacks take off very little stamina and he usually won't hit you after breaking your guard. But just figuring out when to block, when and how to dodge and when you can attack him only once or can attack him twice took me more tries than I care to admit.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I liked the idea of fighting the chief of the Alonne knights but the actual fight left a lot to be desired. His moveset is lackluster and shield makes the fight trivial. I know that's true of a lot of the fights in the vanilla, too, but putting him after the FK was a mistake, since most people including me will feel the need to compare the two. All in all I was disappointed, although the arena as you see it when entering with Alonne sitting on the ground, waiting, was pretty sweet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You know, it never clicked for me that the Alonne knights were supposed to be samurai until I fought Sir Alonne. And then it was like OOOOHHHH.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The katanas and the Captain's fighting style didn't tip you off? :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The following is only about PvE. I don't know or care about PvP at all.

I think Majestic Greatsword won't powerstance with thrusting swords. I haven't specifically tried the estoc, but it won't with the espada ropera. If you want to try something else, curved swords are excellent as an offhand weapon for thrusting swords. The powerstance L1 covers the main weaknesses of thrusting swords: it hits things in a wide arc around you and it hits things low to the ground. What's more, you can get out an R1 more or less instantly following an L1, which lets you squeeze out a little extra damage when you only have a small window to attack. The curved sword running and rolling attacks also have great utility to complement a thrusting sword and chain very quickly into any of your moves. For use with an estoc, I would think the red rust scimitar would be best since it also scales best with strength. For other thrusting swords, you have more options. I went with warped sword, which worked very nicely. The L2 was not as useful as I hoped, but did occasionally make a big difference when I needed to simply empty my whole stamina bar into something and do as much damage as possible (Elana when she's summoning, for example).

I already have a character who exclusively uses estoc + Red Rust which is part of the reason why I feel like this combo could definitely work. I'm not intending on powerstancing the Maj. GS since the specials are awful, I'm just using it for the damage lefthanded; 430 AR without any rings etc. at +5 40/25 in the left hand. It's also one of the longer GS (I think roughly claymore length though I haven't checked properly) and has 130 counter damage. You can do the same thing where your lefthand attacks can be followed up by a near-instantaneous estoc thrust.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

The katanas and the Captain's fighting style didn't tip you off? :v:

Purple unadorned/huge pauldroned metal armor with a closed helmet doesn't exactly scream "samurai" to me :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

lordfrikk posted:

shield makes the fight trivial

Dark Souls everyone! :v:

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
Is there any problem with backing up the save game folder before going NG+? (Like is it also stored on a server or something?) I already have two Level 3 bonfires from farming (Shrine of Amana and Dragon Aerie), so I may want to run crying back to NG if I can't beat them at Level 4.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There is no problem with it at all. Just change the name. I usually just replace .sl2 with .coopguy or .invaderguy or whatever the character is.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If they wanted to keep Sir Alonne consistent with Alonne knights they should have given one move with a tiny cool off period that is only minutely different to all his other moves which have absolutely no cool off at all, attacking him at any other time except during the cooloff period for his one, slightly different move earns you skewering through the face.

Than he'd be like those bullshit motherfucking god drat knights.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't know what you're talking about.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
He means that Alonne Knights attack unpredictably and with basically no windup.

This one time I tried parrying my way through Iron Keep only to realise that I'd need to be clairvoyant if I wanted to do it reliably. Yes 70% of the time they'll sprint up to you and do a downward slash, but the other 30% of the time they'll sprint up to you, pause, and thrust, and that pause is just enough to eat your pre-emptive parry's active frames.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy poo poo, I did fume knight NG++++ with Steelheart Ellie, a very good dexterity player, and one healing corner, with no estus, because I didn't want to go through the trouble of spawning a smelter hammer dude.

I didn't know that was Raime until I checked. loving hell that was tough, and I feel like a pussy too because Ellie did most of the tanking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never had issues figuring out what they were gonna do. Also you can just backstep out of anything they can do, their reach is pathetic.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Part 4 of my NG+3 run. Kind of disappointed looking back at it because my first run at Smelter was perfect till I choked and died in two hits, and then the run I beat him on was full of mistakes and I was saved only by the power of sippies. At least I had that completely flawless fog gate entry at 16:54. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7f83RxHezA

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've never had issues figuring out what they were gonna do. Also you can just backstep out of anything they can do, their reach is pathetic.

Their attacks are very easy to avoid, but they can be really annoying depending on your weapon. They have one move that comes out faster than a straight sword R1 with as much reach, so at best you both get hit or at worst you get staggered out of your attack. If you fight them the way you do most enemies, by blocking or rolling away from their attacks and then countering with R1s or R2s, about 30% of the time you'll get hosed over. With a straight sword, for example, you need to use backsteps or running attacks to fight them safely, which is something you rarely need to do against other enemies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would a Greatsword synergise well with dark infusion and hexes, or would the stat spread be too prohibitive do you think? They're about the only weapon type I haven't played with so far.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The knights are kinda okay one on one. Dodge toward them, spin around, backstab. It's when you have 2 or more on you, and you don't have a weapon or the stats for one that can poise-break them, that things turn to poo poo incredibly quickly. Then you're stuck rolling away for 95% of the fight hoping you can get them to sync up their attacks, which they almost never loving do, and try to squeeze in a hit but nope you just traded blows and took a shitload more than you dished out and now you have to pray you can mess up their AI pathing around a corner long enough to drink an estus. Then you get to Sir Alonne and he two-shots you because you're still trying to learn the fight and now you get to do it all over again. Good luck trying to get off a spell without being hit if that's how you're built.

The path to him is extremely tedious, weaving around to make sure you only get one knight's attention at a time, and to me it's the only real low point of this DLC. I ended up making most of the run extinct by the time I actually beat the boss.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Would a Greatsword synergise well with dark infusion and hexes, or would the stat spread be too prohibitive do you think? They're about the only weapon type I haven't played with so far.

Do you mean ultra greatswords or regular? Because if regular, you can go 20/20 fth/int for dark and just use a regular claymore for a long-rear end time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

I used a bastard sword/claymore with dark infusion for most of the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This is why a pyromancer hybrid build is the best build. Get that ATN to 13, decide whether or not you want the extra slots the equipments (probably not), and then use pyromancy as a supplement to based sword/shield combo.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

So I learned some things today playing with the bewitched alonne sword in PVP. Firstly, parrying someone and then committing sepuku in front of them does damage to them, which in itself is hilarious. Then I learned that it can be parried and looks super loving weird.

Basically this is my favourite sword and I am making a Yoshimitsu cosplay build for this right now.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is the tower of flame seriously the first place you go in DS2? It's getting old as poo poo having 3-5 minute drawn out battles with every single knight as I plink away with my broken straight sword.

Edit: apparently not! At least I can stop :darksouls:ing it up now.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sheep posted:

Is the tower of flame seriously the first place you go in DS2? It's getting old as poo poo having 3-5 minute drawn out battles with every single knight as I plink away with my broken straight sword.

It's one possible start location. There's another, more traditional starting area you may want to check out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sheep posted:

...I, what?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sheep posted:

Is the tower of flame seriously the first place you go in DS2? It's getting old as poo poo having 3-5 minute drawn out battles with every single knight as I plink away with my useless broken sword.
Nope. Go back to Majula and from the Bonfire and facing the town, explore to your left.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You want to go to the Forest of Fallen Giants, the entrance to which is near the Majula bonfire.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So Ruin Sentinels is probably my favorite boss fight. It's also got the best music in my opinion.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ruin Sentinels are definitely a cool fight with good music, but I think my favorite bosses are probably one of the DLC bosses.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Sheep posted:

Edit: apparently not! At least I can stop :darksouls:ing it up now.

I'm guessing you went into the crypt as the first place too in dark souls 1.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Sinh and Fume Knight are probably my favourite fights, because they're just hard enough and satisfying. Elana on the other hand is the kind of frustrating fight I'd rather not do again (talking about fighting solo in all cases).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sinh and Elana are way easier than Fume Knight for me. I beat them both on my first attempt when Crown of the Sunken King came out and thus far have only died to them while doing coop and not really paying attention. Fume is one of the harder bosses in all of Dark Souls 2 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lordfrikk posted:

Sinh and Fume Knight are probably my favourite fights, because they're just hard enough and satisfying. Elana on the other hand is the kind of frustrating fight I'd rather not do again (talking about fighting solo in all cases).

Yeah I had the opposite experience. Sinh gave me a bit of trouble and Fume was a ton of trouble, but Elana was pretty easy.