Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yup, I've got an in there if you are ever shopping. Always worth an ask to go a back channel before paying retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

metaxus posted:

One Suzuki, two Suzuki, three Suzuki, fou-Oh wait, never mind.

(The GSX650F and the Kizashi are mine. The Swift belongs to my housemate.)

I've been catching up :v: How do you like the F? I have a 2007 650S Bandit, and the ergos for me are pretty much perfect. Then I saw the faired version, and was looking at a possible side-grade.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Took a random detour on my ride yesterday, ended up being a 30 mile, 1.5 hour climb up an old Railroad bed to the top of Rollins Pass.

It was fun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Took the Aprilia out to bike night as part of our 'unusual V-twins' collection.

The 690SMC is settling into its lifestyle of urban / rural joyride explorer:

Also got my first supermoto verbal warning from the county sheriff on the ride home, for failure to signal when passing

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

oh yes honey

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.

I've got 1999 problems but fuel injection ain't one. Yamaha 125 SR with bonus garden pea collection. Rides like a bouncy castle, but makes me grin inanely on the way to work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The way the gauge cluster is mounted makes it look like it's wearing a fez.

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.

Sagebrush posted:

The way the gauge cluster is mounted makes it look like it's wearing a fez.

Cluster?

Let's see. Speedo / Odometer. A light that comes on to tell you that you *might* be in neutral and a nice light to tell you have full beams on, oh and some indicators! Figure revs, fuel, gears and engine temp out for yourself!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Captain Muffin posted:

Cluster?

Let's see. Speedo / Odometer. A light that comes on to tell you that you *might* be in neutral and a nice light to tell you have full beams on, oh and some indicators! Figure revs, fuel, gears and engine temp out for yourself!

someone never rode a drz

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

someone never rode a drz

Hell, we at least get *two* trip odometers, and a digital speedo.

The XR650L, on the other hand...

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Captain Muffin posted:

Cluster?

Dang! That thing has 22k miles on it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cheesebot posted:

Dang! That thing has 22k miles on it?

Five digit odo :v:

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009

Captain Muffin posted:

I've got 1999 problems but fuel injection ain't one.
I've got 99 problems and displacement is all of them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rode the motard to the junkyards

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
After essentially getting a "free" basic mechanics degree with my basketcase of a bike (1981 CX500C), she's up and running! This has been a year and a half (two year?) legacy that included new tires, new brakes, new master cylinder, new clutch, and the list goes on. Compounded with the fact that I am (was?) a crap mechanic and I ended up breaking something for everything else I fixed; I now have more experience mechanically with this bike than I ever wanted. Today was the big day though, and I am finally on the road. First I ran to the gas station and topped up the tire pressure, then ran to the local community college to mess around in the parking lot for awhile.

I did some low speed turn abouts and was working on hard breaking when my front brake line got snagged a bit, loosened up and started leaking! Luckily I brought some vice grips along with me and retightened it up and babied my bike all the way home. I got back and I really didn't lose too much brake fluid, so that's great! I straightened out the front brake line, topped off the master cylinder and put her away for the night (drat chores are calling). All in all I'm super psyched that it seems to be fixed.

Things to fix for the future include: a little bit of stutter in the engine when it idles (but I think its just because it hasn't run in a long time, I put in some Sea Foam, so we shall see if that clears things up), badly leaking forks (read: shot), a missing side cover (it rattled off), a broken speedo (the gauge is fine, but the part at the front wheel snapped off), and a tore up seat. Luckily none of that will keep me from riding!

Also the thing is greasy and dirty as hell. I kind of like the look though so I don't know if I'll be cleaning it . . . .

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait till you buy a semi-normal bike and find you have to re-learn nearly everything.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

I know that's what I'm afraid of. When I finally get a real bike what will I do with the M14 x 1.5 bolt I had to buy to pop of the cooling fan? Or this socket that I had to hack saw in order to get off the clutch lock nut?

I'll be utterly lost. Though to be honest I'd be fine with just riding and doing normal maintenance on a bike for the foreseeable future. As much fun as it is to have to make my own tools to take off front engine covers, I'd much rather . . . you know . . . just ride the drat thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Motion Pro makes this tool FYI. It costs like 11 dollars.

And I bet if you looked around on the bike you could find that M14 x 1.5 bolt somewhere. For instance, to pull the alternator rotor/flywheel off a CB350, you extract the rear axle and thread that in. :)

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Well I built that socket for $5! And it only took me two hours. :reject:

Yeah some of the guys suggested pulling the front wheel pin to pop out the cooling fan, but as it stood I got the stupid bolt for $2 at the hardware store.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Boru posted:

Well I built that socket for $5! And it only took me two hours. :reject:

Good thing you earn less than $2.50 an hour so your total cost was less than the $11 the proper tool would have cost.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Boru posted:

I know that's what I'm afraid of. When I finally get a real bike what will I do with the M14 x 1.5 bolt I had to buy to pop of the cooling fan? Or this socket that I had to hack saw in order to get off the clutch lock nut?

I'll be utterly lost. Though to be honest I'd be fine with just riding and doing normal maintenance on a bike for the foreseeable future. As much fun as it is to have to make my own tools to take off front engine covers, I'd much rather . . . you know . . . just ride the drat thing.

It is a real bike. An odd one, but legit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have benefits. Diagnosing my the misfire on my mate's one was a piece of piss when it had straight pipes sticking out next to either foot :v:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm not sure if anyone in here checks the parent forum, but kevbarlas (of '59 Thames fame) built a bike this month.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm not sure if anyone in here checks the parent forum, but kevbarlas (of '59 Thames fame) built a bike this month.

Man I wish I'd taken metal shop instead of making useless birdhouses. Bike isn't my cup of tea, but I really appreciate the skills, DIY ethic, repurposing of metallic odds and ends, planning and follow-through.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It looks pretty cool to me. He should wear real safety gear, though

Poopy
Jul 31, 2010

My bike is finally finished and on the road again!
For the unbelievers: this is my only vehicle, I ride it to and from work every day regardless of the weather.
It runs like a dream and deters douchebags at the brothel I manage because they think I have a massive biker dude out the back for if they misbehave.
Little do they know it's owned by a 5'6" girl with no upper body strength and a fear of the dark.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
A very large bouncer with a penchant for... pink grips.

lol.

Cool bike though!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That engine is gorgeous. Really elegant looking bike, too.

^^^^^It's the ones who like pink grips that you really gotta look out for. They aren't afraid of ANYTHING.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Poopy posted:

the brothel I manage

You can't just drop that and leave it. Do you have an A/T thread?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Poopy posted:

My bike is finally finished and on the road again!
For the unbelievers: this is my only vehicle, I ride it to and from work every day regardless of the weather.
It runs like a dream and deters douchebags at the brothel I manage because they think I have a massive biker dude out the back for if they misbehave.
Little do they know it's owned by a 5'6" girl with no upper body strength and a fear of the dark.

The best part of this post was all of it.

I totally missed the pink grips till it was pointed out. Niiiice.

Poopy
Jul 31, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

You can't just drop that and leave it. Do you have an A/T thread?

I do now!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

This thing can righteously kiss my rear end.

8 miles on the rebuild, locked again. jetting was correct and it didn't run hot this time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

8 miles on the rebuild, locked again. jetting was correct and it didn't run hot this time.

name + post combo

But seriously that utterly blows. Locking up that quickly almost certainly means it was rebuilt incorrectly. Who did the work?

Alternate possibility: did you determine what caused the first blow-up, and did you correct it, before you rebuilt the broken pieces? Obviously if there was a chunk of metal stuck in an oil gallery or something and it's still there the engine is gonna keep blowing up until it's fixed.

That really sucks though. I feel for you :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

I didn't know Land Rover built bikes. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

name + post combo

But seriously that utterly blows. Locking up that quickly almost certainly means it was rebuilt incorrectly. Who did the work?

Alternate possibility: did you determine what caused the first blow-up, and did you correct it, before you rebuilt the broken pieces? Obviously if there was a chunk of metal stuck in an oil gallery or something and it's still there the engine is gonna keep blowing up until it's fixed.

That really sucks though. I feel for you :(

The CSB was scrapped a week ago!

2 stroke, what oil galley! hahahaha.

First go round: Incorrect jetting/overheating.
this go round: apparently 32:1 is too much oil. what I've been told I should have been running 40-50:1 on this particular engine.
Meh, lesson learned, put the wheels on a WR.

Rebuild was my work, meticulously cleaned. This is the -first- engine to blow up so soon of the breakin period, and I've built some serious go fast engines.

Plug looks like proper burn too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, huh, I guess that isn't a DR-Z after all. I glanced over it, saw yellow dirt bike, saw that the engine was blown and thought you were the guy who blew up his DR-Z earlier and had to rebuild it. He was having a whole lot of grief about it when it happened.

Well, bad luck anyway, but glad you aren't too broken up about it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll part it and get something else. Not worried at all. bought it off a buddy with unknown history.

I am very tempted to get a WR400/426 and plate it, then swap the wheels over. the Eline on that thing will fetch good coin too.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Finally had the time to get my old Ninja 500 fixed and then went and washed it because it was terribly dusty

I could fit more bikes in this garage... :getin:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I love that blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, huh, I guess that isn't a DR-Z after all. I glanced over it, saw yellow dirt bike, saw that the engine was blown and thought you were the guy who blew up his DR-Z earlier and had to rebuild it. He was having a whole lot of grief about it when it happened.

I think that was Chichevache.