Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's also why they think their characters are real people. As in, they think the writing process involves developing your characters (read: adding tropes) to critical mass until they spin out the story themselves and you humbly record it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The former is more incompetent writing than anything. The latter is the sole reason I wholly refuse to read comic books aside from a few old reprints of the original Spider-Man and the new Transformer's comics. It's basically "Congratulations readers, thanks for supporting us for so many years. So how's about we just forget everything that ever happened and start over since we kind of didn't plan that far ahead or well at all".

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Most tropers are able to tell the difference between fiction and reality, but they are incredibly bad at any creative work and believe that by identifying and using tropes their work becomes good.

They are just the worst writers ever.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Annointed posted:

The former is more incompetent writing than anything. The latter is the sole reason I wholly refuse to read comic books aside from a few old reprints of the original Spider-Man and the new Transformer's comics. It's basically "Congratulations readers, thanks for supporting us for so many years. So how's about we just forget everything that ever happened and start over since we kind of didn't plan that far ahead or well at all".

I'm the opposite, I've always felt that any long-running media franchise should feel free to jettison all its crap once in a while, if they insist on keeping characters around at all. Stories should have endings, and if a character is iconic enough that people want to keep it, then rebooting everything every so often seems a good way of keeping things fresh and experimenting with new directions in the story. THough I've never been able to read most serialized comic books because of how tropey and cookie cutter so much of it is.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

sweeperbravo posted:

They literally believe that fiction is on some level inherently real. Like when you write a story, you had better not edit that poo poo because however it turned out the first time is the honest true story speaking through you like the freaking astral plane anime boyfriends thread.

This is why in the "share favorite lines from your own work" and similar writing-sharing-oriented threads they think everyone gives a poo poo about really bad overly long one-liners their characters say and that everyone wants to hear the molecular breakdown of their worldbuilding. And why if anyone happens to suggest they change something or, heaven forfend, that something *doesn't make sense as is written in the provided sample*, that person is written off as being mean and noncontributive because how dare anyone question that in this fictional world 1,000 year old love slaves trapped in the bodies of prepubescents is totally just the cultural norm?!

Here's a pretty bizarre quote from a Troper, though not written on Tvtropes itself:

An actual person posted:

the author's work is the author's kingdom. he defines and rules it. death of the author theory is disrespectful to the person who wrote it and all that the intended to communicate by writing it. I would not dream of actually replacing canon with my own, I can acknowledge that the canon is what really happened, then make an alternate universe where something else happened instead, but I cannot deny that what the author wrote is what happened, and what they intended for the work is what reigns supreme, to do anything else would be devalue all the work they have put into it and make light of what they have achieved, of the artistic creation they have made.

The same person posted:

for myself however, I do not like the prospect of all my hard work being for naught because some person thinks I'm no better than him when it comes to the universe I have created.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

YMMV/Dangan Ronpa posted:

Scrappy Mechanic:
[...]

A meta example for those who can only access the game via the Let's Play on Something Awful is the paywalls that pop up periodically on the site, preventing anyone who won't shell out ten bucks from reading the drat thing. Especially since it is completely unadvertised, so no planning ahead, there is never a schedule for how long they're supposed to last, and some have even claimed that the paywalls have increased in frequency and length ever since the popularity of the playthroughs of this game and its sequel. At least this one is on LPArchive now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jokes on them, we get more "Database Unavailable" walls then paywalls these days :smug:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

sweeperbravo posted:

They literally believe that fiction is on some level inherently real. Like when you write a story, you had better not edit that poo poo because however it turned out the first time is the honest true story speaking through you like the freaking astral plane anime boyfriends thread.

Not only that, but they believe that what happens in the story is totally incidental, and in no way reflects on the character or preferences of the author. :tvtropes::"Well yeah, the main character has to suck on girls' breasts. But it's justified because it's been established in universe that breasts contain a spiritual energy and that's where he draws his magical power from." Like it's just a thing to be accepted, and not clearly the author just writing out his fetish.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

Not only that, but they believe that what happens in the story is totally incidental, and in no way reflects on the character or preferences of the author. :tvtropes::"Well yeah, the main character has to suck on girls' breasts. But it's justified because it's been established in universe that breasts contain a spiritual energy and that's where he draws his magical power from." Like it's just a thing to be accepted, and not clearly the author just writing out his fetish.

Man, now I want something totally benign to pop up in something SOOPER SERIUS AND MATURE just to gently caress with people. Like, a Warhammer 40K story ends with Horus or whoever the big bad guy is now being beaten by a little girl giving him a hug. Like, just something really non-creepy like that that makes people go 'Wait WHAT?!' in a way that isn't fueled by disgust like looking into Gears of War backstory.

:barf:Breeding Creches:barf:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's terrible that nobody's thanked you for this post.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm so happy to see these that I could sing "Froggy Went A-Courtin'!" In full! With the entire thing typed out to pad word count!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's terrible that nobody's thanked you for this post.

I was just thinking that. What am I, The Invisible Big Bad?

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Have some more :spergin::

YMMV/Super Smash Bros posted:

Critical Research Failure: Some of the trophy descriptions contain glaring errors, such as Meta Knight debuting in Kirby Super Star instead of Adventure, the Master Sword debuting in Ocarina of Time instead of A Link to the Past (though this was fixed in late pressings of Melee), and Fire Kirby having Burning Kirby built in in Kirby and The Amazing Mirror, where it isn't. Particularly odd in that some errors come from games Sakurai was directly involved in.

From the same page posted:

Hilarious in Hindsight:

[...]

In a TV spot for Melee, the game is referred to as "one big brawl." Fast forward six years, and the next installment in the series is called Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

(Just a quick warning, the next two are incredibly difficult to read without cringing.)

And The Fandom Rejoiced/Super Smash Bros posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog has been confirmed to return in Super Smash Bros. 4. (Exactly as it happened in Sonic the Hedgehog/Mega Man: Worlds Collide, to boot!) This means Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic are going to star in the same game.

As of E3 2014, it's gotten even better. Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, and PAC-MAN.

And The Fandom Rejoiced/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic posted:

So, it looks like the Elements of Harmony are officially kaput. Ah well, looks like they're gonna have to get creative with how they defeat villains from n- wait a minute...is that a jewelry box from the Tree of Harmony? With six locks? And six keys? AND THE PRINCESSES HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY ARE?!?!?!?!? There can only be one logical conclusion: SEASON LONG STORY ARC!!!!!! YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BlueDude posted:

Have some more :spergin::

(Just a quick warning, the next two are incredibly difficult to read without cringing.)

Ah yes, nothing makes me happier then knowing my favorite show will now have an entire season of searching for colored elemental mcguffins.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes, nothing makes me happier then knowing my favorite show will now have an entire season of searching for colored elemental mcguffins.

So happy, in fact, that nothing short of nine exclamation points IN BOLD will express it completely.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Stumbled upon this page and it's a goldmine of stupid. TheVerse

quote:

The Verse is usually referred to with a show or franchise identifier (such as "Buffyverse", "Whoniverse", "Potter Verse", etc.). It is a crafted combination of setting-elements that define the rules for how the world works and sometimes provides for sharing of characters and continuity across more than one series.

So, it means a shared setting? Isn't that just the same thing as a setting?

quote:

In terms of how things work within the universe, the Buffyverse for example is set up by Mutant Enemy in such a way that Our Vampires Are Different in a (fairly) uniform fashion, and certain characters can move back and forth between shows and refer to events on the other show as if they are in the same world.

I can barely parse this sentence, but it's not really a unique thing requiring its own special term to say that a show's spin-off has connections to the show it came from, is it?

quote:

Rick Riordan, the writer of Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus, has each of them set in the same universe. While one is a sequel to the first, The Kane Chronicles's Egyptian gods contrast with Percy's Greek gods. Also, in a short story, the main characters from both series met and fought Egyptian/Greek baddies together.

Oh okay, I can see how that particular brand of "oh, that's a neat little factoid" connectivity could necessitate differentiation from regular setting. This might be the only example on the page to actually describe what they're talking about though.

quote:

All of Quentin Tarantino's films take place in the same universe.

In that they all take place in the real world, the place where everyone lives and interacts? Thanks for specifying this, Tropers.

quote:

The Fast and the Furious movies and the crime-thriller Better Luck Tomorrow may share a universe as Badass Normal Han (Sung Kang) appears in both franchises.

It's not the same character though, right? It's just two characters with the same name played by the same actor? I could be wrong, but I doubt a racing action franchise has anything to do with an indie movie about asian-american scholastic pressures.

quote:

The Duniverse, setting of Dune and its sequels.

God damnit just kill me.

quote:

Jim Butcher's urban fantasy series of books, The Dresden Files, is commonly referred to by fans as the Dresdenverse. So is the TV series of the same name (also referred to as "TV-verse"). Incorporating elements from both the books and the TV series in fanfic is referred to as "comboverse." It turned into an Ascended Meme in the tabletop RPG. Considering the Breaking the Fourth Wall and Literary Agent Hypothesis stuff going on with the RPG rulebooks, this means one of the characters is referring to his own universe that way, which the titular Harry Dresden finds really weird.

This one doesn't surprise me, given where it's coming from, but god drat. Sure of a heck of a convoluted way to say sequels and spin-offs are related.

quote:

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga is also referred to as the Vorkosiverse.

It's a series! By the same author! It doesn't need special designation! Also "Vorkosiverse." What a mouthful.

How come some things get a verse and other's don't. You never see people talking about the Lord of the Ringsverse.

quote:

The Firefly 'verse (series and movie Serenity). (Notable for the fact that the characters refer to their own universe as "the 'Verse"). The terms "Jossverse", "Whedonverse" and "ME-verse" (ME = Mutant Enemy, Joss Whedon's production company) have been used to refer to both this and the Buffyverse, despite there being no connection between the two in canon.

So wait, now the term can refer to things that aren't connected?

quote:

The Law & Order Verse, home to:

God, just stop.

quote:

The Transformers franchise has an odd sort of 'verse, in that it's a multiverse rather than a universe.

What does this even mean?

quote:

The South Park universe contains itself and That's My Bush!.

This all boils down to nerds being nerds, but as with any TVTropes page, the crowning job is "Fan Fiction" folder:

quote:

The Reading Rainbowverse is a series of independently maintained blogs set in the same verse as Rainbow Dash Reads Homestuck.

quote:

In The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds, events in the original My Little Pony cartoon happened in the ancient past of Friendship is Magic. It also shares the same universe as the other 80s Hasbro cartoons: The Transformers, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Jem, and Dungeons & Dragons, called the Hasbroverse. It also includes Doctor Who.

quote:

Life In Manehattan is, like the Lunaverse and the Cadanceverse above, a Shared Universe of MLP fics set in an Alternate Universe, one where the events of the pilot episodes took place in Manehattan rather than Ponyville.

At least I didn't find any rape.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bear Sleuth posted:

In that they all take place in the real world, the place where everyone lives and interacts? Thanks for specifying this, Tropers.

Technically speaking, it isn't the real world, because of Inglorious Bastards where they actually succeed at killing Hitler.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I laughed way harder than I should have at the reading rainbowverse, which is kind of surprising because everyone should laugh at that a whole loving lot

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Blog: Rainbow Dash Reads Homestuck

quote:

Bad Date: Vinyl Scratch (from Trixie's blog) sets Rainbow Dash up with a blind date to take her mind off the situation with Twilight. The date turns out to be Lightning Dust. Who's underage. And still upset about getting kicked out of the Wonderbolt Academy. The end result is that Rainbow Dash ends up arrested for statutory rape (fortunately overturned when the facts are made clear) while Lightning Dust is arrested for public disturbance and assault with a table, and gets into trouble with her parents (Spitfire and Soarin'). Dust later gets the bad idea to prove her maturity... by tracking down Dash and having sex with her. Fortunately Dash managed to hide in time.

quote:

Innocent Innuendo: Pail on her head. Reading Homestuck. This was deliberately arranged by Twilight.

quote:

Suspiciously Specific Denial: Nope, Rainbow Dash is NOT in love with Twilight. Nor does she have a horn fetish. In fact, she's not in denial, your FACE is in denial!

There's also apparently some injoke about tacos and, judging by how many times it's mentioned on the page, it must be pretty loving hilarious.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

mmj posted:

I laughed way harder than I should have at the reading rainbowverse, which is kind of surprising because everyone should laugh at that a whole loving lot

I laughed out loud too as soon as I saw "Reading Rainbowverse" and wondered what other works of LeVar Burton would be included in it before getting to the end of the sentence and realized it was referring to My Little Pony. :smith:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I don't understand how someone can use something like statutory rape in a story featuring the words "wonderbolt academy". THe disharmony between those two things is fuckign with my mind.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

RareAcumen posted:

Man, now I want something totally benign to pop up in something SOOPER SERIUS AND MATURE just to gently caress with people. Like, a Warhammer 40K story ends with Horus or whoever the big bad guy is now being beaten by a little girl giving him a hug. Like, just something really non-creepy like that that makes people go 'Wait WHAT?!' in a way that isn't fueled by disgust like looking into Gears of War backstory.

:barf:Breeding Creches:barf:

*looks up* :stare:
Yeah I think I can enjoy my-testosterone infused gorefest shootemup without having to look at supplementary material from here on out.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Bear Sleuth posted:

What does this even mean?

Generally multiverse means that a franchise is made up of separate series that take place in different universes not relate to each other. In other words its something that shouldn't be on the loving page except for a description that says some franchises have multiple different universes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Technically speaking, it isn't the real world, because of Inglorious Bastards where they actually succeed at killing Hitler.

I thought the idea was the the semi-sensible ones (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown) were all in the same very stylised setting, while the ludcrious ones (Kill Bill, Inglourious, Django) were the sort of high-gloss over-the-top movie that Mr Orange or the Vega brothers would watch. Uma Thurmon's character in Pulp describes starring in a film that's basically Kill Bill.

It's an overly elaborate way of saying "Tarantino makes goofy movies, some more so than others", but he's enough of a nerd to set it up like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, a 'verse' is when several different stories demonstrate they're in the same setting by borrowing particular elements from each other, crossing over characters, and so on. Like with basically any superhero comic, or if, say, Marty McFly's DeLorean flew past Elliott's house in E.T..

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Bear Sleuth posted:

It's pretty obvious that that means the same fictional universe. Unless I misread my history books and Hitler and Goebbels and all the Nazis were actually shot to death in a theater.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hammurabi posted:

It's pretty obvious that that means the same fictional universe. Unless I misread my history books and Hitler and Goebbels and all the Nazis were actually shot to death in a theater.
It also means that, in that timeline, there are two Uma Thurmans and who knows how many Samuel L. Jacksons.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
Has this been posted yet? I think this captures how out of touch with reality tropers are (moreso than that boob chart):

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Namtab posted:

Ironically, I also do not have a copy. The account belongs to The Saddest Rhino, a man who grew weary of hatred.

Kindly refer to him by his correct title, the Arbiter of Acceptability.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

It's like they heard the phrase "All the world's a stage" and ran with it. Too far.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Gotta say, I wouldn't have expected Oscar Wilde to be first on that list.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

BlueDude posted:

It's like they heard the phrase "All the world's a stage" and ran with it. Too far.

But they (or at least one of them) think Shakespeare sucks/is overrated. Unless their cargo cult mentality prevents them from associating that with Shakespeare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

*looks up* :stare:
Yeah I think I can enjoy my-testosterone infused gorefest shootemup without having to look at supplementary material from here on out.

Welcome to Karen Traviss's writing. She also wrote a Star Wars novel where a Clone trooper lies in his own piss and poo poo for the better part of a day to get a proper sniper shot.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

sweeperbravo posted:

Gotta say, I wouldn't have expected Oscar Wilde to be first on that list.

quote:

His fun was interrupted when he sued for libel over being called homosexual. He was indeed homosexual (or maybe bisexual) as a significant number of young men testified at his trial. British law would still have found for him if that had been considered irrelevant.note Instead, he lost, and since homosexuality was illegal... yeah. Real Life Downer Ending, there.

Famous for producing an enormous body of quotable wit — enormous enough that of the hundreds of quotes attributed to him, as many as half may resemble things he actually said. This tendency to gather misattributions is the root of his status as Uncyclopedia's Memetic Badass / Memetic Molester / Memetic Sex God in chief.

What they did to him was horrific. He was a real person, Tropers.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Welcome to Karen Traviss's writing...She...

Now that just raises further question!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: the note that the Marquess of Queensbury (of boxing fame) wrote him accused Wilde of being a "somdomite." Not sodomite, "somdomite."

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Years ago, before the mock threads were even a thing here, there was a troper(?) who went on both the main :tvtropes: forums as well as the It Just Bugs Me subforums known as GLORIOUSLeader. I believe he once posted a dumb tirade against internet superstar Icycalm (as much as he deserves it, though), as well as showing many leftist goon traits (posting a bunch of leftist literature in one thread, posting a politoonist mock thread with politoon thread celebrities regulars such as Ramirez and his "Iranians are cockroaches" cartoon, and one other thread about the monopolization of television.

He was known as both GLORIOUSLeader and Country Pumpkin, and he was banned as both, the former for posting a "Let me Google that for you" link to child porn intentionally as a ragequit post, and the latter for outing himself as the former with one of his older avatars.

A few of the posts I've seen of him seem to suggest he was some kind of goon who was touching the poop around the time of the third and fourth Tvtropes mock threads (around 2011 and 2012). He was probably a troll from here, especially since in both his profile "activity" pages he seemed to (justifiably) hate the community, which explains the child porn ragequit.

This is coming from a forum who had an early poster named Vorpy who had loads of anime avatars and called herself the "Memetic Sex Goddess". Who also got banned when he posted a child porn link.

Here are his profile activity pages here:

http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/profile/gloriousleader
http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/profile/countrypumpkin

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Byde posted:

This is coming from a forum who had an early poster named Vorpy who had loads of anime avatars and called herself the "Memetic Sex Goddess". Who also got banned when he posted a child porn link.

Oh poo poo, that name rings a bell. I really just shuddered.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I believe Vorpy even posted like an real-life anime girl, too, or at least seemed like it with my hazy memories of that spinoff forum (where one of the founders up and left mysteriously and never mentioned leaving or coming back or anything despite still existing in the form of youtube comments and at least one 2013-ish post in another forum).

EDIT: Here's Vorpy's profile page, I guess. I haven't looked at it, so beware:
:nms:http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/profile/vorpy:nms:

All of IJBM's profile pages are basically facebook walls that also show when somebody's banned or unbanned, but there's the :nms: sign just in case.

Diaperdweeb Chagen's even went there, and to spoil IJBM's reputation, one of the founders (the one that left for some reason) actually called Chagen okay. Yeah. At least he's banned from there now. Took a while, though.

Byde fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Byde posted:

Yeah I believe Vorpy even posted like an real-life anime girl, too, or at least seemed like it with my hazy memories of that spinoff forum (where one of the founders up and left mysteriously and never mentioned leaving or coming back or anything despite still existing in the form of youtube comments and at least one 2013-ish post in another forum).

EDIT: Here's Vorpy's profile page, I guess. I haven't looked at it, so beware:
:nms:http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/profile/vorpy:nms:

All of IJBM's profile pages are basically facebook walls that also show when somebody's banned or unbanned, but there's the :nms: sign just in case.

Diaperdweeb Chagen's even went there, and to spoil IJBM's reputation, one of the founders (the one that left for some reason) actually called Chagen okay. Yeah. At least he's banned from there now. Took a while, though.

Holy poo poo, read some of the comments under where Vorpy goes from "member" to "banned" or whatever.

"Gee, she posted child porn? That's a shame, I kind of had a crush on her (said by a poster who clearly isn't really swayed by this anyway)"
"I saw the child porn, it wasn't that bad. She didn't deserve to get permabanned for it."

:psyduck:

• Locked thread