Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Oh god, Air Farce nostalgia in the WCW thread

Edit: I stand by my lovely top post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Nitro on the WWE Network starts next week.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

triplexpac posted:

Oh god, Air Farce nostalgia in the WCW thread

Edit: I stand by my lovely top post

Making me feel like it's the 90's all over again when all we had to deal with was Manning. No Stockwell Day, no Harper...better times.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM: NITRO!

At Halloween Havoc Eddy Guerrero and Rey Mysterio Jr had a classic, tonight it is the rematch!

Also:

Lex Luger vs Ric Flair

Macho Man vs Ray Traylor

Chris Jericho vs Disco Inferno

Chris Benoit vs Saturn for the TV title.

on the second show...

Rey Jr. vs Chris Jericho!

DDP vs Villano V!

Dean Malenko vs Eddy Guerrero

Saturn vs Riggs

Lex Luger vs Curt Hennig

and

The Giant vs Scott Hall!

Join us for two big Nitros on the road to WORLD WAR 3! Will Sting and Hogan be there after their historic contract signing? What will happen to Scott Hall and Larry Land? Who can stop GOLDBERG? FIND OUT TONIGHT! Maybe!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Tune in at 7:30 for Cowboy Who?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't care what any of you say. This match was awesome. The night after War Games '98, I think. Goldberg Vs. Sting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5aE3EIelQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhT9_cXfA7k

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You right. Every (short) match they had together was pretty good and also had gently caress finishes!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Why does your little man have a hat now?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Fedora apologist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I used to be a copy editor and I can't turn it off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Observer posted:

Rey Misterio Jr. is expected to take July and August off to rehab his knee. He's not going to have the reconstructive surgery after all as a second doctor said if he spent two months doing rehab, he wouldn't need the surgery. Kevin Nash wants to do one singles match with him before he takes the time off so that is likely for Las Vegas.

Reymysterioscareer.txt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I forgot what thread I was in and legitimately thought that was current news until I saw Kevin Nash.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't believe my hero Bret Hart would join the NWO. I thought he wanted to save wrestling from them. :smith:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Endorph posted:

I forgot what thread I was in and legitimately thought that was current news until I saw Kevin Nash.

Man... Same here. And it took me a minute.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LordPants posted:

Reymysterioscareer.txt

You didn't even post the best part.

June 30, 1997 Observer posted:

After Savage hit the elbow, Sting ran in and hit Hall and Savage with the bat as the fans pelted the ring with garbage once again. It seems that fans are now thinking the way to end the show is to throw garbage, and when they book big buildings like this, the chance of a front row fan getting nailed with a bottle that doesn't quite make it to the ring is fairly decent and they really need to exercise some crowd control before a major problem occurs.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did the garbage throwing ever happen in the WWF, and did it keep going in WCW until the end?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think somebody beaned Scott Hall with a bottle once. Or maybe it was Bischoff.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

Did the garbage throwing ever happen in the WWF, and did it keep going in WCW until the end?

I want to say it probably happened a couple times, but WWF generally ended shows with the heroes standing tall (either by kicking rear end in the final televised segment or kicking rear end in the post-show), so there was never the 'boooo we hate thiiiis' feeling that caused garbage tossing to become such a thing in WCW.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Monkey Man posted:

It wasn't big in WWF but I remember it happening for sure. Someone here counted once and like 75% of Nitros from 1996 on ended with garbage being thrown in the ring.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The best bit of BatB96 is the fact that Hogan ends up, like, calf-deep in garbage by the time the PPV goes off the air.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Garbage getting thrown in the ring was so common that one of the THQ games had it as a feature.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If for some reason I ended up in the crowd on that mythical day when Cena turns heel, I'd throw something in the ring. Sure I'd get kicked out but you know WWE would want that reaction, so they could compare it to Hogan in WCW for the next 100 years.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

WCW spent the majority of its last couple years with garbage in the ring

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It would be considerably more appropriate to trash the ring on any of 500 occasions when Cena overcame the odds

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

triplexpac posted:

If for some reason I ended up in the crowd on that mythical day when Cena turns heel, I'd throw something in the ring. Sure I'd get kicked out but you know WWE would want that reaction, so they could compare it to Hogan in WCW for the next 100 years.

At Battleground, I saw someone get kicked out for throwing trash at the ring when Jericho beat Bray Wyatt.

Also in the newest Ace Attorney game, the first guy you represent is a wrestler and when you get him off the hook there's an anime cutscene of him too sweeting a crowd

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 28, 2014

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

The Monkey Man posted:

I recall Heyman/Big Show getting nailed with garbage after they screwed RVD out of the title on the second episode of the ECW reboot.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Watching a Dean Malenko match and I remember how awesome and perfect his music is for him. When you hear it you know a small and unnervingly quiet man is going to hurt you until he gets bored with hurting you.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

At Battleground, I saw someone get kicked out for throwing trash at the ring when Jericho beat Bray Wyatt.

Also in the newest Ace Attorney game, the first guy you represent is a wrestler and when you get him off the hook there's an anime cutscene of him too sweeting a crowd

Someone hasn't played Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton :colbert:

Also he was a luchadore who started his own wrestling promotion in the proud traditions of the Californian yokai that were said to inhabit the area just north of LA.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

epitasis posted:

It would be considerably more appropriate to trash the ring on any of 500 occasions when Cena overcame the odds

If this were ten to fifteen years ago, that probably would have happened.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

If this were ten to fifteen years ago, that probably would have happened.

Also to be fair, there are probably a few crowds it would happen with. If Cena came out and buried Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Cesaro, and the Shield as a unit in front of Chicago or Post-Wrestlemania crowds, they'd probably throw some trash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If Cena had beaten CM Punk at money in the bank, there'd probably have been a bit of trash.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

If Cena had beaten CM Punk at money in the bank, there'd probably have been a bit of arson.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Say what you will about WWE, when there's a genuine risk that Cena may be ripped to shreds by an angry mob they will let Cena lose by interference.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

Say what you will about WWE, when there's a genuine risk that Cena may be ripped to shreds by an angry mob they will let Cena lose by interference.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Not pictured: Bray Wyatt praying for a swift death as Cena the Heat leach murders him.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
It's always fun to point WCW's shortcomings, even from when it was at its peak. However, all summer long, I've been watching Nitros from the formation of the nWo onward, and because of that, it's impossible for me to enjoy current WWE. Right now, I won't watch any new WWE shows before Night of Champions, and after that, I'll see how it goes. WCW at its peak, with the nWo, amazing matches and a stacked roster was eons ahead of modern-day WWE. The commentary is better, too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Watching the Nitros on the Network now. One thing is that I forgot how little they comment on what's on the screen and instead just talk about literally anything else. Their favourite subject seems to be Hogan. On that note, if people think poo poo is bad with Cena now, Jesus Christ try watching these. Hogan sells nothing. The early match with Luger is meant to pit them as equals, and after taking a torture rack for what feels like 5 minutes he IMMEDIATELY gets up.

Also there's already too much Johnny B Badd.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm still trying to figure out what blackmail Johnny B Badd had on WCW to stay employed for so long

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

coconono posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what blackmail Johnny B Badd had on WCW to stay employed for so long
Well, something in his performance made Vince McMahon go "get me that guy".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Discount Trombones posted:

Probably because he came as a twofer with Sable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Discount Trombones posted:

And in such an immediate way that they never really got through to him that he was getting Marc Mero, not the character of Johnny B. Badd.