Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Wittgen posted:

The comment section is up.

God help us all.
This comic didn't have comments before? I never noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

This thread is up.

God help us all.

:rimshot:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flipping through issue one, and I could stand to see some more firefighter shenanigans. They're a chummy lot. :3:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-1/page-21/

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Warmachine posted:

Flipping through issue one, and I could stand to see some more firefighter shenanigans. They're a chummy lot. :3:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-1/page-21/

There was a guest comic about it

http://q-u-i-n-n-m.tumblr.com/post/61658355449/i-did-a-guest-comic-for-strong-female-protagonist

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

McSpanky posted:

And Patrick is both more motivated and far better equipped to investigate it.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's been doing during all of those shadowy secret phone conversations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Wittgen posted:

The comment section is up.

God help us all.

"This comic used 2 be P Gud, now it sucks."

Copy/paste that about 25 times on every page, and you're good to go, no need for comments at all!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Time to set another Adblock frame filter for another comments section.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tenebrais posted:

While Hector's parting line does ring true, it's a bit rich coming from him seeng as she just told him a way he can be better than a superhero and he didn't want to because it wasn't fun enough.

This is a really solid observation. Like he's not saying she's wrong--he says "yeah" in response to her idea--he just says he personally doesn't want to do it.

I think they were having two similar but diverging conversations here--Alison wants to focus on how best to help people, Hector's focused on personal fulfillment. They are often one and the same, but as Hector's response shows, they aren't always. And while there's nothing wrong with prioritizing self-actualization over altruism, once he does so he's talking about something completely different than what Alison is trying to do.

Really, this makes him the opposite number to Feral: the best thing she can figure out to do with her anomaly is both infinitely worse to experience and, in the long run, may be vastly less world-changing than what Hector could potentially accomplish. But she still does it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

McSpanky posted:

Time to set another Adblock frame filter for another comments section.

It looks like they have it set up where the comments default as hidden. Out of sight, out of mind.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Looks like Someone is on to the IVS and has a pragmatic approach to making him/her go away.

I'm kinda wondering at what point the this thread will intersect with Allison. Unless the IVS turns out to be Moonshadow, there doesn't seem to be much pulling the two plot threads in this chapter together, aside from maybe a shared theme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slashrat posted:

Unless the IVS turns out to be Moonshadow, there doesn't seem to be much pulling the two plot threads in this chapter together, aside from maybe a shared theme.

Well that's pretty drat probable at this point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm guessing the balloons are filled with paint. Hit Moonshadow with one, she's visible.

Also, these guys scream "mercenaries" to me, rather than police or military. Guess we'll see how that shakes out.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Probably military contractors. I assume that dealing with a biodynamic is considered outside the scope of regular police activities unless someone like Badge is around.

I doubt they're going to get her, though. We don't get out of the chapter without her confronting Alison in some way.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

She gets a message after these guys get slaughtered.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You guys are so depressing. Obviously those are Fun contractors, and they're getting ready to kick off the most wicked-amazing water balloon fight in the world for some birthday party.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The gas mask suggests to me those balloons are filled with something particularly unpleasant.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It might be some things that, mixed together, produce smoke. That might make her visible too.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

idonotlikepeas posted:

It might be some things that, mixed together, produce smoke. That might make her visible too.

or just negate the advantage that being invisible gives, if she cant see poo poo.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I wonder if her invisibility applies just to visible light, but also to infrared (that is, heat), as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
She's not probably immune to tear gas, why would you not fill the room with tear gas first then throw water balloons filled with paint or whatever once you see her displace the smoke.

So, fill room with gas, throw water balloons at the displaced area, shoot.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Hollismason posted:

She's not probably immune to tear gas, why would you not fill the room with tear gas first then throw water balloons filled with paint or whatever once you see her displace the smoke.

Well, she seems to be able to make her gear invisible too, and she's been living the Hall of Justice for the last few years so if she had a gasmask it wouldn't surprise me. Honestly paint doesn't make much sense when you think about it either. If you can make your cloths invisible, why couldn't you make the paint on your cloths invisible too?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Hollismason posted:

Why not just fill the room with lethal gas, if you're going to shoot anyway?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

nimby posted:

Why not just fill the room with lethal gas, if you're going to shoot anyway?

Bullets are more controllable than gas. Unless the combat area is guaranteed airtight and will remain so there's a chance some of your lethal gas can be caught on the wind and end up drifting through the local home for orphans and sick puppies. With bullets there's a chance you'll miss and hit whatever's behind the target, but hopefully the person holding the gun is aware of that and will make sure they take a shot where a miss will do something harmless like hit a wall.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
They're just paintballers that found a cool old barn to run their matches in/around.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wyld Karde posted:

Bullets are more controllable than gas. Unless the combat area is guaranteed airtight and will remain so there's a chance some of your lethal gas can be caught on the wind and end up drifting through the local home for orphans and sick puppies. With bullets there's a chance you'll miss and hit whatever's behind the target, but hopefully the person holding the gun is aware of that and will make sure they take a shot where a miss will do something harmless like hit a wall.

These guys don't look like that type of shooter.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Looks like we're all wrong. This is just how supers without government support practice.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Moonshadow may have set this up to murder these guys or get some info out of them - the leader mentions working for Templar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

thatbastardken posted:

Moonshadow may have set this up to murder these guys or get some info out of them - the leader mentions working for Templar.

Templar is Patrick's company isn't it?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Templar is Patrick's company isn't it?

Patrick's supervillain name, actually, iirc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Slashrat posted:

No that would be Menace.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Captain Oblivious posted:

No that would be Menace.

The Templar were his robots. After he quit that, he did something something and now runs Templar the company. I'm not exactly clear how the two connect, since supposedly his old network and him don't keep in touch.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Look again. They specifically mention NOT working for Templar because psychics freak them out.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Warmachine posted:

The Templar were his robots. After he quit that, he did something something and now runs Templar the company. I'm not exactly clear how the two connect, since supposedly his old network and him don't keep in touch.

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

They put a "weak point" balloon on their chest and their guns are equipped with dummy rounds. They're obviously mercenaries and they've apparently been hired to pretend-fight against their client.

The guy does mention having worked for Templar before, but always refused jobs involving psychics. "I wouldn't even take those contracts with Templar, let alone this freelance poo poo" -- in other words, he sees working for Templar as better than freelance gigs, but even for Templar he wouldn't do psychic stuff. The "I wouldn't even do x, let alone y" always has y as a worse case of x, because you're rejecting doing y specifically by saying that you wouldn't even do the lesser evil that is x.

If Moonshadow wanted info from them, given that they're mercenaries and she hired them, she could have bought the info from them. So either it's indeed just practice, or if she does want to kill them she used the contract as a trap to lure them in. If it was meant to be a trap, it has the drawback of leaving a paper trail.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

The guy does mention having worked for Templar before, but always refused jobs involving psychics. "I wouldn't even take those contracts with Templar, let alone this freelance poo poo" -- in other words, he sees working for Templar as better than freelance gigs, but even for Templar he wouldn't do psychic stuff. The "I wouldn't even do x, let alone y" always has y as a worse case of x, because you're rejecting doing y specifically by saying that you wouldn't even do the lesser evil that is x.
Hmm you're right. I assumed the mercs knew Templar was run by a psychic, but maybe only the readers and a handful of characters are aware of that?

I still doubt they are there for training. Moonshadow doesn't need it.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Or they could be shooting paintballs and using balloons full of paint to try and capture an invisible person

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Then why are they tying them to their chest grills?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Hey man, I said supposedly. I do still think Patrick is one of the good guys, though. I mean, unless he's playing a really long game. Like, really long.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The fact that they call her "the client" instead of "the target" means she's probably the one paying them.

Jackard posted:

I still doubt they are there for training. Moonshadow doesn't need it.

On the contrary, training to replace Alison is one of her defining traits. The first time we saw her, she was working out. As the flashback Sonar narrated indicates, she's become seriously driven to keep improving. At this point professional mercs may be the only non-biodynamics who can offer her any sort of challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Carrasco posted:

The fact that they call her "the client" instead of "the target" means she's probably the one paying them.

On the contrary, training to replace Alison is one of her defining traits. The first time we saw her, she was working out. As the flashback Sonar narrated indicates, she's become seriously driven to keep improving. At this point professional mercs may be the only non-biodynamics who can offer her any sort of challenge.

This is my thinking too. And I think that the weird knife she has that looks ceramic, might be somehow made along the same lines as Cleaver's blades.
This is pure speculation, but here's my theory:
Cleaver has been shown to be the only one who can hurt Alison
Cleaver's in government custody, it seems likely they're studying him the best way they can.
Maybe the knife is a prototype based on studying Cleaver.
Moonshadow acquired this super sharp magic knife somehow: She probably has government contacts, she hired the mercs, maybe she's got a lot of money, maybe she just stole it

I'm thinking it'll be her vs Alison, and the stakes will be super-high because Alison can obviously crush her instantly if she catches her, but Moonshadow would have something that can potentially kill Alison, and invisibility.

• Locked thread