Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Mykkel posted:

Accessibility seems okay. It's just congested. Feels like one of the parks, because everyone is funneled to the same sidewalk.

Right, it seemed much more crowded the other night. Would hate to try to navigate through there during a peak time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
In Downtown Disney, if you're on either far end, Marketplace or West Side, it's not any worse than normal in terms of congestion. The worst place to be is in the middle in the soon-to-be-formerly-known-as Pleasure Island that you can't move because it's just one narrow walled-off sidewalk to get around. In the Pleasure Island area, you'll have the mix of people just trying to walk from one end to the other, lines for restaurants and the general tourist that is somehow oblivious to the fact that it's congested and just stops to stare at things in the middle of everyone trying to move around.

The real pain for Downtown is the parking, because they are building that big parking garage, and with all the other construction, there is pretty much nowhere to park unless you get there an hour or two before anything opens.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If you are staying on property, take one of the buses else hate your life forever trying to park.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Doronin posted:

The worst place to be is in the middle in the soon-to-be-formerly-known-as Pleasure Island that you can't move because it's just one narrow walled-off sidewalk to get around.

Agreed, The bottleneck was definitely in that area. I usually park by Circ and walk all the way through. Going to rethink that plan until things get better.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tomapot posted:

Picked a bad week to come down with it being the hottest days of the year and the hella high humidity. The up side is our boss took us out to dinner to LeCellier. Those Farmhouse Poutine are awesome.

I would go back just for le cellier.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Villains Unleashed was a ton of fun despite not meeting a ton of characters. I stood in line way too long to meet Constantine from The Muppets (who was being peformed by his actual puppeteer from the movie, so he wasn't learned in the Disney art of Love Em' and Shove Em' meet and greets) and then bailed so I could see the last Oogie Boogie show, which turned out to be the best move, because Oogie Boogie's show was unlike anything I've ever seen at Disney World. Bordering on "how did they get away with this"

Characters I did meet: Star Lord and Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy, Cruella DeVille, Gaston, the Tremaine family, and briefly ran into the Queen of Hearts. I only got photos with Star Lord and Gamora.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Villains Unleashed was a ton of fun despite not meeting a ton of characters. I stood in line way too long to meet Constantine from The Muppets (who was being peformed by his actual puppeteer from the movie, so he wasn't learned in the Disney art of Love Em' and Shove Em' meet and greets) and then bailed so I could see the last Oogie Boogie show, which turned out to be the best move, because Oogie Boogie's show was unlike anything I've ever seen at Disney World. Bordering on "how did they get away with this"

Characters I did meet: Star Lord and Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy, Cruella DeVille, Gaston, the Tremaine family, and briefly ran into the Queen of Hearts. I only got photos with Star Lord and Gamora.

I'm still really bummed I couldn't attend that. I was browsing Instagram today to see photos people have posted, and I like how it looks as if J. Worthington Foulfellow and Gideon were just wandering around like tourists.

But what was risque about the Oogie Boogie show?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Doronin posted:

I'm still really bummed I couldn't attend that. I was browsing Instagram today to see photos people have posted, and I like how it looks as if J. Worthington Foulfellow and Gideon were just wandering around like tourists.

But what was risque about the Oogie Boogie show?

It was like a circus freakshow, sword swallowers , sensual(pretty tame) fire eaters, and marksman with crossbows shooting at each other. Also an awesome opening acting with a magician.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

It was like a circus freakshow, sword swallowers , sensual(pretty tame) fire eaters, and marksman with crossbows shooting at each other. Also an awesome opening acting with a magician.

The magician straight up making fun of children was one of the things that set off my "Uh, Disney allowed this" sensors. However, it was hilarious, so I am glad they did. It reminded me a bit of the Monster Makeup Show over at Universal, only with freak show stuff instead of movie makeup.

Edit: I made this re-cap video because I was bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwyemhxZ5I

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 25, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Disney has gone completely batshit crazy. We just got the email for a special dessert experience during Not So Scary. For and additional $99 pp + tax you get the equivalent of a two dollar dessert and some stupid hag that will sing every now and then plus some lesser, not so memorable villains. This is on top of the $99 one day admission and the $62 event admission to Not So Scary. That's $260 plus tax per person if you want to spend the entire day at the park.. God help you if you want to eat an eight dollar burger and wash it down with a five dollar soda. Jesus dogbone Christ what the gently caress Disney?

Oh wait, there is a story on the local news. Disney just acquired trademarks and they want to fly drones over the park so they interact during events. I can't wait to have one crash on my head so I can sue them and get some of that sweet sweet highway robbery money they are making.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The moral of the story is don't spend the whole day at MK, the lines are so much better during Not So Scary.

And don't do the dessert thing because that sounds pretty dumb.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

The moral of the story is don't spend the whole day at MK, the lines are so much better during Not So Scary.

And don't do the dessert thing because that sounds pretty dumb.

They posted it on the passholder site thinking it would be welcome with open arms. One post that stood out sums up all the comments..

As AP holders from the UK we find this a ridiculous price - we already pay more for our AP than Florida residents (yes, I know it's a perk for you that live there, but it's still not fair) add on top of that the cost of flights / rooms etc and we've already spent over $10,000 just for a ten day holiday for three adults and a baby. Not sure we will bother renewing the passes next year - if you want to lose $$$$$$$$ just keep on rising prices - we might find somewhere else to spend our hard earned cash.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
holy poo poo. I know a lot of that is for the airfare, but HOLY poo poo. at some point the maldives or some other poo poo has to start looking REALLY good for that kind of money. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love WDW. I've vacationed AND lived there. But we vacationed for a couple o grand up to maybe 5k at our most debased and luxurious, and when I lived there I was getting paid.

Take yo kid to Paris or Rome or Hong Kong or, gently caress, some nice rear end beach in Thailand. For 10k you can do a LOT better than WDW.

PS. Company snipers plz don't kill me.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Yo dawg I heard you like ticketed events. so we put a ticketed event in a ticketed event. So you can go to a ticketed event while in a ticketed event.

Also after mulling it over the Villains Unleashed would get a 3 out of 5 for me. If you go by other people who went, I think I'm on the higher scale of scoring it. It was two steps forward one step back by Disney in general. While I enjoyed myself, I'd probably wait another two years before I even think to go again, if it continues on. Hopefully Disney will have solidified it's planning/organization and make it worthwhile experience and not have me doubting the use of my time and money.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Yo dawg I heard you like ticketed events. so we put a ticketed event in a ticketed event. So you can go to a ticketed event while in a ticketed event.

Also after mulling it over the Villains Unleashed would get a 3 out of 5 for me. If you go by other people who went, I think I'm on the higher scale of scoring it. It was two steps forward one step back by Disney in general. While I enjoyed myself, I'd probably wait another two years before I even think to go again, if it continues on. Hopefully Disney will have solidified it's planning/organization and make it worthwhile experience and not have me doubting the use of my time and money.

It is certainly going through growing pains. I know they had to cap the lines for a few of the more rare characters because they just were too drat long. Maleficent got capped at 9pm. An HOUR after the event started. Multiple nights allows disney to milk the event AND create less demand for the characters on a given night due to spreading the guests out. Its a win-win. We'll see if they do it. Even just a three night run next year would probably help immensely.

But I'd go again next year just for the entertainment. Also, I hope they bring back the Brown Derby being "Club Evil" because the characters wandering around in there was amazing. Cruella was just drinking from a soda cup pretending it was something much stronger, complimenting people she noticed were dressed like her. It was rad.

Also: that dessert party thing sounds dumb. Sorry, bosses, I can't stand by you on that one. 99 bucks to eat sweets while Lady Tremaine warbles is not really my idea of a good time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

we've already spent over $10,000 just for a ten day holiday for three adults and a baby.

Nathilus posted:

holy poo poo. I know a lot of that is for the airfare, but HOLY poo poo. at some point the maldives or some other poo poo has to start looking REALLY good for that kind of money. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love WDW. I've vacationed AND lived there. But we vacationed for a couple o grand up to maybe 5k at our most debased and luxurious, and when I lived there I was getting paid.

Take yo kid to Paris or Rome or Hong Kong or, gently caress, some nice rear end beach in Thailand. For 10k you can do a LOT better than WDW.
I'm about to visit from the UK with a friend, here's a rundown of (the relevant parts of) my trip for two adults:

£1065 Flights
£730 Hotel (eight nights at Port Orleans Riverside)
£520 Park tickets (nine day hopper with all the extra stuff)
Total: £2315 ($3840)

That's without food and buying anything else and we also got a slight discount on the flights via a staff discount and we're only there for nine days rather than ten. But I think we have a family room that can sleep four and we could have stayed at a cheaper hotel if we were on a tight budget. It largely depends on what time of year you're going, if it's school holidays then the cost is going to shoot up.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Tunga posted:

I'm about to visit from the UK with a friend, here's a rundown of (the relevant parts of) my trip for two adults:

£1065 Flights
£730 Hotel (eight nights at Port Orleans Riverside)
£520 Park tickets (nine day hopper with all the extra stuff)
Total: £2315 ($3840)

That's without food and buying anything else and we also got a slight discount on the flights via a staff discount and we're only there for nine days rather than ten. But I think we have a family room that can sleep four and we could have stayed at a cheaper hotel if we were on a tight budget. It largely depends on what time of year you're going, if it's school holidays then the cost is going to shoot up.

You will be in a very ordinary room with two queen sized beds and not much more room than that, Disney assumes 2 people per bed and thus lists the room as for four.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yoda posted:

You will be in a very ordinary room with two queen sized beds and not much more room than that, Disney assumes 2 people per bed and thus lists the room as for four.
Yes, it's just the basic room, none of that princess poo poo. I don't intend to spend much time there :) .

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Realistically, what is Disney World like these days in October if you've got young kids with you? Is it worth it for all the themed stuff, or is it better to wait until November when all the Christmas stuff starts to come out? Is seasonal stuff as big at Disney World as it is at Disneyland?

I'm asking because I've only been to Disney stuff on press junkets, and they usually shuffle us in front of people (to my horror,) give us fast passes, etc., so you don't get an organic experience. I've never been to Disney World before, either, so I don't have a "non-seasonal" experience to compare it to. I absolutely adored Disneyland, though - one of the best vacations of my life.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Aethersphere posted:

Realistically, what is Disney World like these days in October if you've got young kids with you? Is it worth it for all the themed stuff, or is it better to wait until November when all the Christmas stuff starts to come out? Is seasonal stuff as big at Disney World as it is at Disneyland?

I'm asking because I've only been to Disney stuff on press junkets, and they usually shuffle us in front of people (to my horror,) give us fast passes, etc., so you don't get an organic experience. I've never been to Disney World before, either, so I don't have a "non-seasonal" experience to compare it to. I absolutely adored Disneyland, though - one of the best vacations of my life.

I love Disney World in October! It's the main time I go.

There's lighter crowds, although people are starting to catch on to October being a great time to go, so the crowds are getting a bit larger. Still not terrible.

Free dining usually happens in (part of) October. Which also accounts for the increase in crowds.

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is awesome if you're into that kind of thing. The Boo To You parade is my favourite parade in all of Disney. The ride of the Headless Horseman at the beginning is awesome.

In Epcot you've got the Food & Wine festival going on. So lots of yummy stuff to eat and drink.

Weather isn't super hot, but it's still nice.

Overall, I feel it's the best time of the year to be at Disney World. I'm actually planning an October trip for next year right now. I'm just debating going the first or last week of the month.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Lots of people are cottoning on to the fact that October crowds are lighter, so it's not the ghost town it could be. That said, I still think it's a good time to go. I'm actually popping down there for the weekend of October 11 for a solo trip.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Incredibly dumb question, but here goes:

Single guy, mid-late 30s, never been to either Disney. What is the best time to go and the best place to stay? Best = best accommodations for one person, and least crowded time. Money is not a obstacle, but bang for the buck is preferred. I'm not going to find a spouse or a 'good time'. I just want the full Disney experience for a week and to check it off my bucket list.

It sounds like October may be the best timing?

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 30, 2014

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
We've found January and February to be a desolate wasteland, as far a crowds are concerned. Just avoid federal holiday Mondays (or just be willing to tolerate 1 or 2 busy days). The 3 or so weeks following Thanksgiving are nice and quiet, and the park is decked out for Christmas.

Best places to stay are of course the most expensive: the three Magic Kingdom/monorail hotels, and the deluxe resorts at Epcot. I say, "best" because they're all really nice hotels, and they're more convenient by an order of magnitude. Monorail access at the MK resorts, walk to World Showcase from the Epcot resorts (especially Yacht Club/Beach Club). Though since you say you're looking for the "full Disney experience," I'd recommend one of the MK resorts.

I was in my late 20s first time I went. You're going to freaking love it. WDW is actually for adults, they just don't put that in the TV commercials.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

October is maybe not the best time. It used to be a really quiet time of year but traffic is picking up. Personally, I'd go in January. Nice weather, no crowds. If it were me, I'd stay at the Polynesian because it's my favorite and it's also the most convenient in getting to Magic Kingdom. I'd probably also do the dining plan, maybe even the Deluxe if I was feeling frisky and money didn't matter.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The Poly is kind of a mess right now, but it's still got it's charm about it. Lots of stuff should be finished by spring 2015 if that's a destination one desires. They just re-opened Captain Cooks (And a new Dole Whip stand, but no more self serve pineapple dream towers :( )

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've been posting a lot on the disboards to prep for my trip next year and I catch myself sighing and shaking my head constantly at the posters over there. Does anyone else do the same? Maybe my time spent on SA and (long before) Reddit and the *chans has warped me, but those posters are just so squishy and sugary sweet. It's like reading what my mom and grandparents would be posting if they knew how to use a computer. The GBS in me has to resist the urge to reply "im gay" to every inane post on that forum.

Not to import drama, but I can't be the only one who cringes when reading what goes on in the happier, gentler parts on the internet. Or I've been too ruined to exist in society. Thanks, SA.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Nah, Disboards is generally pretty awful.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've been posting a lot on the disboards to prep for my trip next year and I catch myself sighing and shaking my head constantly at the posters over there. Does anyone else do the same? Maybe my time spent on SA and (long before) Reddit and the *chans has warped me, but those posters are just so squishy and sugary sweet. It's like reading what my mom and grandparents would be posting if they knew how to use a computer. The GBS in me has to resist the urge to reply "im gay" to every inane post on that forum.

Not to import drama, but I can't be the only one who cringes when reading what goes on in the happier, gentler parts on the internet. Or I've been too ruined to exist in society. Thanks, SA.

Every pooh sized green ribbon carrying disboards poster goes Home at least twice a year. :suicide:

They're so squishy and sugary and sweet because they're all 800 pounds and have stage 99 diabetes. Or they're on husband 4 who hasn't gotten sick of financing their crazy rear end disney trps yet.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Every time I post on the DISBoards, I expect a pm waiting for me the next time I log in letting me know I've been probated for sarcasm again.

It's a pretty awful place.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Roar posted:

Nah, Disboards is generally pretty awful.

So my DW DD DS DHH DGD FP+'d IASM but it conflicted with DW ADR at BOG. Luckily a DTF CM BBBJCIM.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

So my DW DD DS DHH DGD FP+'d IASM but it conflicted with DW ADR at BOG. Luckily a DTF CM BBBJCIM.

Who on earth would FP+ IASM when you have ADR at BOG I mean it's in NFL and 7DMT and ETWB are right there! IASM is all the way over by PPF and this is why I suggest people memorize a map or at least have it open in their spare browser window when you're planning your FP+ at 12:01am 60 days prior to arrival. Thank god for CMs. What a disaster that would've been! Completely vacation ruining! I mean I can't even imagine! You poor thing!!!!

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I feel dirty that I actually was able to decipher this.

Disboards is brutal not only because of how super sweet they are but also because they're a bunch of drama queens. Every thing that Disney does is a personal slight to them. Oh God, Frozen in Norway! gently caress Disney right in the ear!! *goes and spends $10,000 on a Disney vacation*

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disboards is the bane of my existence. They come to me and say "So so at Disboards said that such and such impossible thing is happening. Get me tickets!" Or "I want Donald Duck to come to my room and have a three way with me and my husband. A Disboards person said you can pay extra and get that. Get that set up for me."

No. Just no. Those people are crazy town banana pants.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Disboards is the bane of my existence. They come to me and say "So so at Disboards said that such and such impossible thing is happening. Get me tickets!" Or "I want Donald Duck to come to my room and have a three way with me and my husband. A Disboards person said you can pay extra and get that. Get that set up for me."

No. Just no. Those people are crazy town banana pants.

Well it can't be that hard. He's already running around with no pants on.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Poly is kind of a mess right now, but it's still got it's charm about it. Lots of stuff should be finished by spring 2015 if that's a destination one desires. They just re-opened Captain Cooks (And a new Dole Whip stand, but no more self serve pineapple dream towers :( )

NO! Those bastards lied to me! They said the self serve dole whip was coming back when they re-opened. :mad:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The only good thing about Disboards was that they used to have a thread in the cruise line forum that was like "post your favorite Disney Cruise Line picture" and I am literally obsessed with DCL so it fed my addiction. Until they threw their dumb kids in or something. Focus, people, I want to see the boat not your children drat it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hey they closed American Idol experience early at Studios just like I predicted! Really though I know a tech and cameraman there plus I have my own insider so I know a couple of things about what is going on there.

Parks were not as busy as I thought they would be this weekend but the heat is just so unbearable.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Was at magic kingdom/EPCOT this past Thurs/Fri. The crowds were not horrible but holy hell was it hot and humid. Considered going into the hall of presidents just to get a break from the heat!! The fall decorations were up at MK, though, so that was pretty cool. I had seen on the Disney food blog about waffle fries at MK, but the stupid golden outpost was closed. What gives?! I want Poutine waffle fries!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Who on earth would FP+ IASM when you have ADR at BOG I mean it's in NFL and 7DMT and ETWB are right there! IASM is all the way over by PPF and this is why I suggest people memorize a map or at least have it open in their spare browser window when you're planning your FP+ at 12:01am 60 days prior to arrival. Thank god for CMs. What a disaster that would've been! Completely vacation ruining! I mean I can't even imagine! You poor thing!!!!

Disboards jokes aside, how important is intelligent FP+ stuff? I just set ours for October and just sort of took the suggested slots as long as they didn't conflict with dinner reservations, I didn't really plan the out for location considerations because it was sort f overwhelming. Is that crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just an observation from someone who frequents the parks and watching the people on their smartphones, tables and arguing over what FP they must change or swap out adds more micromanaging to a vacation. It's like doing work on vacation.