Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

corn in the bible posted:

that is some ugly shading and anatomy right there

dodge and burn are not your friends, brooke

Is she made entirely of balloons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (September 1, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (April 9-11, 1951)

"And then we pose for the calendars!"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mister Beeg posted:

Few days ago I purchaed "MAD About Comic Strips". It's a book reprinting newspaper comics parodies that MAD did over the years, from the beginning to early 2000s (the book came out in 2003). Naturally it's full of stuff that this thread'll love.

Here's one I scanned. Originally ran in MAD #326, March-April 1994:

Why did they put a real Lockhorns panel in there?

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Someone Red and Rover this because I don't get it.

The angels and devils on your shoulders represent the good and bad impulses you have; by convention the "good" angel is on the right shoulder and the "evil" devil is on the left, due to ancient superstitions about the left being the unnatural, evil side. Ed is saying that he felt that giving Dustin $20 just didn't feel right; the positive impulse or "angel on his shoulder" suggested that Dustin would probably need $40. Dustin's reply indicated that he had had a negative impulse to ask for $40 anyway. The humorous content, which is minimal, derives from the contrast of personalities (Ed being generous, Dustin being grasping) as well as the allusion to the powers of temptation that reputedly belong to the devil. The joke, such as it is, is eviscerated by the fact that Dustin clearly did not listen to his shoulder devil, since he asked for $20 and not $40. As usual, Dustin's personality and motivations are somehow misunderstood and misrepresented by the very people that generated them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

idonotlikepeas posted:

The angels and devils on your shoulders represent the good and bad impulses you have; by convention the "good" angel is on the right shoulder and the "evil" devil is on the left, due to ancient superstitions about the left being the unnatural, evil side. Ed is saying that he felt that giving Dustin $20 just didn't feel right; the positive impulse or "angel on his shoulder" suggested that Dustin would probably need $40. Dustin's reply indicated that he had had a negative impulse to ask for $40 anyway. The humorous content, which is minimal, derives from the contrast of personalities (Ed being generous, Dustin being grasping) as well as the allusion to the powers of temptation that reputedly belong to the devil. The joke, such as it is, is eviscerated by the fact that Dustin clearly did not listen to his shoulder devil, since he asked for $20 and not $40. As usual, Dustin's personality and motivations are somehow misunderstood and misrepresented by the very people that generated them.

You put more effort in your explanation for one strip than Dustin's artist did for the entire run.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

You put more effort in your explanation for one strip than Dustin's artist did for the entire run.

Dustin's art is fine. It's the writer who's a tool.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

DoubleDonut posted:

Dustin's art is fine. It's the writer who's a tool.

The writer truly is an rear end in a top hat in real life. Ever seen his editorial cartoons?

(Then there's the whole reason why he was fired from San Diego Union-Tribune in the first place...and the subsequent lawsuit...)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mister Beeg posted:

The writer truly is an rear end in a top hat in real life. Ever seen his editorial cartoons?

(Then there's the whole reason why he was fired from San Diego Union-Tribune in the first place...and the subsequent lawsuit...)

Yeah, I stopped following that thread because I like not being incredibly angry all the time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

That's some good shading.

Big Ben Bolt

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
End of the week Bleeker

Always sleep in. You can be active when you're dead.

Pickles wants a divorce.

Just get the divorce. Even a few years without the rear end in a top hat are years well lived.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

I love that last panel.

Ripley's

At last, a medical excuse.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Some of you probably know that Percy Crosby, the cartoonist behind "Skippy", spent his final years living in the mental hospital.

Here's a mural he painted over there.

quote:

It was, perhaps, his vocal nature that led to his undoing, as at the height of his success the IRS hammered him (some claim in response to political pressure from those his strip angered) and corporations who wished to use the immensely popular Skippy character began a crusade to strip the rights for his character away from him. He claimed he was being watched and followed, and began drinking more heavily. There was nobody who would listen to him, and eventually his wife left him. Following a suicide attempt (that is alleged by his daughter to have been a murder attempt, as the knife he supposedly stabbed himself with was never found at the scene), he was committed to Knightsbridge State Hospital which is where he spent the rest of his life. Deemed a nuisance for trying to keep his trademark character from being exploited by companies like the one we now know for its Skippy peanut butter, and for trying to voice the same political opinions that made him such bitter enemies, he was denied access to the outside world and his children were told he no longer wished to see them, which was a lie. He spent the rest of his days preserving his sanity by continuing to create cartoons and manuscripts no one outside the walls of the hospital would ever see during his life, and when he died in 1964, alone and penniless, his family wasn't even notified. His children read of it in the newspapers a week later.

More info here

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mary Worth, haunted by PTSD flashbacks.

Rex Morgan MD

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (July 27-28, 1925)

Yep, that's the sort of thing that'll happen when a young girl can't keep her legs together.

Parents had to bury her in a Y-shaped coffin.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

She's practicin' her Koppojutsu! Why, that poor fella'll get his neck cracked like a sprig, I'll say, iffen he innerupts at her kong-fu!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

[New!! Donald Duck loading station]

Lataamo does mean "a loading station" but more literally it's just a place where something is loaded.

The weekly Finnish Disney magazine Aku Ankka (Donald Duck) has been popular for decades, and since a year ago all the published issues have been available for download online from the Aku Ankka Lataamo for a monthly fee of 5€ if you're subscribed to the magazine and 10€ otherwise.

Just so happens that lataamo is also a slang term for mental hospitals. I guess they load your mental batteries there or something.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

I can't believe Jeff Parker probably spent 10 hours drawing, inking and coloring something Steve Kelly took 10 seconds to write. Talk about a loving waste of artistic talent. This is a drat travesty.

On the Fastrack

Really stretchin' it there.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Oh so that solves it. Dag's a recovering alcoholic. Let's see...

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
So it's God vs. marketing, huh?

Slylock Fox

Cripes Max, I'm here on a date, don't talk to me about work!

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 31, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Beeg posted:

Some of you probably know that Percy Crosby, the cartoonist behind "Skippy", spent his final years living in the mental hospital.

More info here

Jesus christ :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Could we put some Hillary Clinton stump speeches into Carol's speech bubbles? I'd like to test a theory about that face...

Mister Beeg posted:

:smith:

Can't say it enough: ethical mothers choose Jif.

Peanuts (September 3, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean drags it out for one more day.

Classic Popeye Sunday, in which Olive goes even further around the bend than usual. (c. 1943)

Pogo, in which the noble dog does what any mid-century comic strip character does and runs away from unpleasant things. (August 24, 1969)

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

Either he's giving his dogs candy or his children just ate a handful of Pup-Perroni..

Out Our Way (July 29-30, 1925)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 31, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

It works, but it's not really funny.

Heavenly Nostrils

How did that game get that name, anyway? I think "Pete/Repeat" would be better. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/31/2003

Well, it looks like we're ending this month with the same twat-ish story as we started it with. Let's hope September is better.

Zits

That's a hamburger?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ah, the good old-fashioned game of "run around with your eyes closed." Fun for the whole family!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

[New!! Donald Duck loading station]

Lataamo does mean "a loading station" but more literally it's just a place where something is loaded.

The weekly Finnish Disney magazine Aku Ankka (Donald Duck) has been popular for decades, and since a year ago all the published issues have been available for download online from the Aku Ankka Lataamo for a monthly fee of 5€ if you're subscribed to the magazine and 10€ otherwise.

Just so happens that lataamo is also a slang term for mental hospitals. I guess they load your mental batteries there or something.

Jesus loving christ Finland.

I'm going to stroke it. Your arms are broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9v3OvzZsfM

Uncut, oooh!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Ms. is one of the fore-most widely-available feminist publications in the United States, and was co-founded by noted public figure Gloria Steinem, who has also been occasionally referenced by Opus and others.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I love this one. Lynn gets so close to self-awareness, she just doesn't take that next logical step and compare herself to the character. Or maybe she did and decided she was just fine (comix).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is...uh...

Yeah, I got nothin'.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I quit reading for a week and y'all get rowdy. Tch.

Buz Sawyer

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Life's a bitch, ain't it Lynn?

Also, I'm trying to figure this kid out:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Looks at Golf (MAD #425, January 2003)
That's right, even MAD Magazine does golf jokes! Oh the horror!!!

The Lighter Side of... (MAD #224, July 1981)

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #232, July 1982)

Spy vs. Spy (MAD #224, July 1981)

I have no idea why the White Spy's eyes are drawn differently in the first two panels.

Hey Look!

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 31, 2014

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Batiuk did a lot of fourth-wall-breaking in the early strips.

Closed Out, which these are from, is from 1974. The book doesn't specify the original publication dates for each individual strip, unfortunately.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

I'm heading out on vacation, so Modesty will be back in about two weeks.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Have a great vacation, Kammat, and thanks for the MB fix. :) I wonder if Rossi the lovelorn goon ever shows up again.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

TofuDiva posted:

Classic Funky

Batiuk did a lot of fourth-wall-breaking in the early strips.

Closed Out, which these are from, is from 1974. The book doesn't specify the original publication dates for each individual strip, unfortunately.

It looks like this book pulls strips from multiple years. The one on the left is from Feb. 25, 1977 and the one right one is from Sept. 22, 1976.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

That's not surprising. It would take weeks for one of Brooke's blabbermouths to cool down once they finally stopped talking.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

I can't believe Jeff Parker probably spent 10 hours drawing, inking and coloring something Steve Kelly took 10 seconds to write. Talk about a loving waste of artistic talent. This is a drat travesty.

I see two interpretations of this comic:

1. Dustin the Temp is taking over for somebody who left his/her desk a complete disaster area. We are meant to blame Dustin for the mess because Dustin is a lazy slobby jerk.

2. Dustin took over for a tidy person, but has been working in this position long enough to generate this ungodly pile of garbage. Dustin is a lazy shiftless jerk who refuses to get a job.

That said, I would like to own a "World's Okayest Employee" mug. I would take it to my job. I don't even like coffee.

This comic can be pretty sad a lot of the time. Especially when it's not supposed to be.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

drat, that's a fine eel.

Juliet Jones

Eve is great. Ok, who wants an Evetar??

I've never been more serious in my life.

I guess Eve's hapless financial consultant deserves a shot, too. No idea what you should make him say!

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SUPER FROG

:syoon:

:getin:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

sports?? sports; sports

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ha! It's crazy how different that nerds are, from people who like sports! Just absolutely wacky. I could make jokes about the fact that they are different all day. I wouldn't even need to go into How or Why, just pointing out that they are Different alone is enough to send me up a roller-coaster ride of comedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Intelligent Life has all the trappings of a webcomic made by a teenager who wants to prove he's better than those jocks at school, except the nerdiest reference I've seen is to loving Star Wars so I don't know what the hell it's supposed to be.

Edit: Aside from "Family Guy but with nerdzenjorcks"

• Locked thread