Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

For some reason, I thought that in Edinburgh during August I would be able to paint 4 toy soldiers.

What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, right.

So, no jurnal, no time for a bunch of detailing, no time for rust or dirty scalpels, and no time to dirty up the piping so they're more neon than they should be.

Still, a usable Student of Steel, Student of Viscera, Student of Sinew, and Valedictorian, so good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

NMM Jurnal Attempted on the servo-skull following the lead trooper.

EDIT: This is a Themed Group.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 1, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Oath complete:

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oath Complete!

Jurnal
None of the Super Dungeon Explore models were painted with metalics, making their gear NMM; the orbs in each staff, the axe, the daggers, and the arrowhead of the ranger's bow, as well as various gems and ornaments among their gear. Roxor's eyes are also emeralds (assuming gems and such count, which I think if chrome does then gems might but the weapons are there to satisfy it if not).

Double the Fun
Roxor is made of fire and stone! The fire's light casts a glow on the rocky surfaces not facing directly away! This month's Jurnal + last months.

Backstory

It was an odd crew of misfits that teamed up to face the terrors of roxor's caverns; I could never forget the sight of 'em. No idea how they didn't drive themselves mad either. There was a sorceress in fancy clothing, always suspicious of everyone outside their party; gave me a look that said she's turn me into a frog if I even dared try to mess with the group. Well, maybe a frog; there certainly were more of them in town when they left... Anyway, she was the the most normal of the bunch! They had a pair of twins among them! Outcasts they say, pushed out of their hometown; and boy could I see why. The one lass she wore barely any clothing and drat near trashed my shop! Every word she spoke was a shout too. But her sister see, she was worse; her eyes would glow red and flames would crackle out of thin air around her. I can only thank the gods my shop didn't burn down before they finished buyin potions. Then there's the other two. Now, it ain't often you find a tiefling and an elf workin together. Heck it ain't often you see an elf hangin around humans either! A tiefling sure, they'd mingle with any race besides elves, and an elf's never be caught dead around any non-elf but royalty! But this elf.. She had no glamour. None whatsoever! Them elves always trick people into seein perfect beings but this elf coulda given me nightmares. Poor thing probably got thrown out of their fancy kingdom and shunned by most other beings. Then again maybe some of that glamour still worked since I felt so sorry for her I gave her a discount. The tiefling though... I hope I never see her again! Caught her tryin to snatch stuff off the shelves left 'n right! Reinforcin' their evil stereotypes that girl.

Anyway, I hear they managed to defeat ol' roxor and have their sights on that spooky manor up north. Which hopefully means they never come back here again!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath Failed, I've been relaxing too hard.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Oath Complete!

I did not complete the Jurnal this month, too much fiddly metal bits here to mess with all of that.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Oath Complete!

Themed group
Jurnal: Custom base

Sorry for the bad picture, it's 4:30 in the morning, will take some better pictures tomorrow. Also still haven't gotten my brass rods, so the guys are bluetacked to the bases.

With these 8 done, I have finished the whole box of 12 and the 2 drones. Really would never have stuck with it if it wasn't for the thread, so thanks! :D

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oath complete!

Journal is the NMM hair spike.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

The Tower

Commander

Grognan

Humans

Sorak

Yndij

Teraton

:catdrugs: Claiming Journal for my Drones :catdrugs:

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

A few hours before the oath thread deadline and yet again I've got the hair dryer out trying to make paint dry. :negative:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lovestick posted:

A few hours before the oath thread deadline and yet again I've got the hair dryer out trying to make paint dry. :negative:

No offense meant, but this is a fantastic post/avatar combination.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
:frogsiren:Oath Complete!:frogsiren:

Claiming Jurnal on the smaller lizard's speartip though I guess it just made it look stoney. I tried I guess?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath complete!:siren:

My jurnal entry.

General Ossrum

Forge Guard, a themed group

Artillery Corps

Gudrun the Wanderer

Lanyssa Ryssyll

Rorsch and Brine

Dr. Arkadius, Sturm and Drang, and Targ

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Awesome, Oath Complete! also Whales Saved!

From last month:
3x T-54/55s

3x Su-100s

Mig-17

From this month:
3x Char-1Bs

6x Panhard AMD-35s

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Oath... failed! :saddowns:

Simply been too busy this month and I've had a complete lack of motivation to keep going at the moment, need a breather

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

:frogsiren:Oath Complete!:frogsiren:

I'll have to take some less washed out photos when I play Bolt Action next week. These were really fun to paint! I did NMM on the weapons and it looks pretty good on the table considering they are historicals.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, lots of failures this month. No worries! More grist for the Save Da Whales mill in September!

:siren: You've got 1 hour and 7 minutes to finish, folks! :siren:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

The Inquisitor's Log is the non-metallic metal armor, and the nmm gold dragon head.

I really like the effect of the gloss varnish on the blood. It makes me wish I'd started using matte spray on my models earlier!

e: When I put superglue on the flock I was using, small trails of smoke appeared for a little while. Is this normal?

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 1, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Schmetterling posted:

e: When I put superglue on the flock I was using, small trails of smoke appeared for a little while. Is this normal?

It's just the cyanoacrylate melting the foam of the flock, no biggie! Just don't inhale it and vent the room a bit...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oath Complete

Themed group #1

Themed group #2

I forgot to do the Guardian bases and didn't notice til photo time :cripes:

Themed group #3

Inquisitors Journal, I used the scibor guide to pain my Commando Captain's mace, I think it turned out a lot better than last season's NMM effort

Oathed too many things this month, found my limit

Admiral Crackbar
Jan 4, 2012

Oath Complete

This was right down to the wire (I was watching the timer as I was finishing up and tried to make the most of every last minute). I never realised how slow I painted. Definitely going to take it a little more cautiously next time.

Need to do the bases, simply ran out of time.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Admiral Crackbar posted:

Oath Complete
This was right down to the wire (I was watching the timer as I was finishing up and tried to make the most of every last minute). I never realised how slow I painted. Definitely going to take it a little more cautiously next time.

:smithcloud:

At least your save the whales will be easy.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Red Shoe posted:

Lanyssa Ryssyll

Great stuff as usual - what're you using for snow/ice here?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Your post shows as 12:41 to me, which is 41 minutes late (so not technically complete or finished)...not sure if you're aware of that! So no points, but as Gareth Gobulcoque sez:

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

:smithcloud:

At least your save the whales will be easy.

Admiral Crackbar
Jan 4, 2012

No worries, I wasn't sure if the post had to be up before midnight, or if there was some leeway as long as the minis were done before midnight.

It's all good, if I have to save the wales I can go back and put on a bunch of details I left off.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Karnegal posted:

Great stuff as usual - what're you using for snow/ice here?

It is Woodland Scenics Snow mixed with white glue, I actually made a tutorial for this model here.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Admiral Crackbar posted:

No worries, I wasn't sure if the post had to be up before midnight, or if there was some leeway as long as the minis were done before midnight.

It's all good, if I have to save the wales I can go back and put on a bunch of details I left off.

Thanks for understanding, I know the rules and all that can be daunting for anyone starting this for the first time. The deadline is indeed midnight, but midnight in American Samoa - this makes it easy for everyone from Europe, UK, East Coast US, West Coast US and all across Australia (in order of time and time zones) to get their Oaths in. At least, it's much easier than finishing up in the time zones we had it in last year and the year before! :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
BLAMMMM!!!

What...was that, ork?

I dunno! oi only presst summink!

You DO realize you mustn't press random buttons on strange suits of armour you find in rubbish heaps, don't you?

OI DON'T KNOW'S DAT!! Anyways, oi fink it's fine...

Well...what's that on the ground, then?

Oh. Dat's me ahrm!

Oh, dear.

Bugger...

This month's theme, AKA the INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL, is:
Cut and Swap! This is a little different than last year, as this time around we're encouraging sculpting and modifications if you want, but at its most basic level this is simply you CUT off an arm (or leg, or head, or weapon, or whatever) and SWAP it for another piece, or modify the original piece in some way (like changing the angle of an arm or something. The model you claim the Journal on must be clearly noted in your Oath AND ALSO in your your Oath Complete picture, to make sure we don't miss anything.

For clarification: In your Oath (original) picture, just say which model you're doing the Journal on. It would help if you can be specific, like saying:

"I'll be swapping his head"
"I'll be cutting off the left arm and changing it"
"I'll be changing the pose of the right leg", etc.

In your Oath Complete picture, of course the final model needs to be shown, and definitely detail what you did.

I just want to note that although the 'basic level' of this Journal is to chop off a part of a model and replace it with a piece of another model, this is the only Journal this time around that is wide open for sculpting and that sort of thing - so have at it if you like.

Clarification 2: YES, you can post a conversion you've done already, but you MUST post a link or a photo of the original, unconverted model. A link to the manufacturer's info page or picture of the original model is fine.

Completing the Inquisitor's Journal gives you an easy point, so if you want to be in the running for Grand Prizes at the end of Season 5, you'll be wanting every point you can get! Even if you don't care about points, many of the Journals will get you to try painting techniques you may not have tried before, so go for it!

ALSO, the judges will each be deciding who's done the Journal in the most unique and creative way and EACH judge will be giving a point for their top pick, so that's a potential 3 extra points just waiting for you!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 1, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

What do we include in the original oath pic? Do we need the model pre-swap and the part we're putting on, the model post swap, or something different?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Esser-Z posted:

What do we include in the original oath pic? Do we need the model pre-swap and the part we're putting on, the model post swap, or something different?

In your Oath (original) picture, just say which model you're doing the Journal on. It would help if you can be specific, like saying:

"I'll be swapping his head for another"

In your Oath Complete picture, of course the final model needs to be shown, and definitely detail what you did.

I just want to note that although the 'basic level' of this Journal is to chop off a part of a model and replace it with a piece of another model, this is the only Journal this time around that is wide open for sculpting and that sort of thing - so have at it if you like.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

In your Oath (original) picture, just say which model you're doing the Journal on. It would help if you can be specific, like saying:

"I'll be swapping his head for another"

Excellent, thank you!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Do models that were heavily converted beforehand count? I've got an ork mek on a bike I plan to oath and he's cobbled together from a ton of random parts, with no progress shots done beforehand.

Actually nothing I could really oath this month has any before shots done, so uh. Yeah.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath for september this puzzle of HDF/acrylic bits to make 6 consoles and 6 antennas (generic sci-fi, 28mm scale, made by some guys from Łódź :v:)

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Slimnoid posted:

Do models that were heavily converted beforehand count? I've got an ork mek on a bike I plan to oath and he's cobbled together from a ton of random parts, with no progress shots done beforehand.

Actually nothing I could really oath this month has any before shots done, so uh. Yeah.

I want to know this too, I started on my Solaire conversion a few days ago like a stupid. It's still getting green stuff but the bits of other minis have already been attached.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Is this the season's conversion oath? I'm planning on making more biker dudes for my space marine army, and as part of that I'll be hacking up a space marine shoulder pad to fashion a psychic hood for a librarian (similar to http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/11/librarian-psychic-hood-conversion.html). Its a fair amount of cutting, but not much swapping. Hmm, I guess I could try to pick up a dark vengeance librarian to hack up...

Edit: Whoa, dark vengeance librarians are cheap on ebay. Totally just doing that.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 1, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm in the middle of a pretty rad conversion as well - can we post a stock 'before' photo as per previous years?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

drgnvale posted:

Is this the season's conversion oath? I'm planning on making more biker dudes for my space marine army, and as part of that I'll be hacking up a space marine shoulder pad to fashion a psychic hood for a librarian (similar to http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/11/librarian-psychic-hood-conversion.html). Its a fair amount of cutting, but not much swapping. Hmm, I guess I could try to pick up a dark vengeance librarian to hack up...

Edit: Whoa, dark vengeance librarians are cheap on ebay. Totally just doing that.

moths posted:

I'm in the middle of a pretty rad conversion as well - can we post a stock 'before' photo as per previous years?

YES, you can post a conversion you've done already, but you MUST post a link or a photo of the original, unconverted model. A link to the manufacturer's info page or picture of the original model is fine.

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, oath for september this puzzle of HDF/acrylic bits to make 6 consoles and 6 antennas (generic sci-fi, 28mm scale, made by some guys from Łódź :v:)

Oath Accepted!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

YES, you can post a conversion you've done already, but you MUST post a link or a photo of the original, unconverted model. A link to the manufacturer's info page or picture of the original model is fine.

So I can attempt a conversion and just not oath it if I gently caress it up? Great!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, Oath for the month of September 10 Privateer Press Warders, and one Converted Wild Rider made from GW Dryad bits, Corsair Bits, and Spear Elf bits.

A couple closer looks at the conversion:

Here are official pictures of the preconversion models, minus the spear elf spear and shield:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for September: 1 Ork Mek on a bike (28mm, Games Workshop); Ian, Crusader Mage and Familiar (28mm, Reaper); 24 Ghouls and Orge unit filler (28mm, Mantic Games and Games Workshop); and 1 Necromancer (28mm, Mantic Games)

Ork Mek

Ian, Crusader Mage and familiar

Ghouls and Ogre

Necromancer

I'm claiming this month's Cut and Swap! journal on the Necromancer, which is a converted Mantic zombie. I've replaced his head with one of the Mantic ghoul heads; I have also repositioned his arms at the wrist and elbow, as well as making him stand straight. I've also clearly done some greenstuff work (and have more to do before I get to painting him).

Here is a comparison shot between the necromancer and an unaltered version of the same zombie parts used.

• Locked thread