Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I liked Elana and FK a lot and absolutely hated Sinh.

Granted I beat Elana first try and she never summoned Velstadt, so that's a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That makes her a lot more interesting, the skeletons just die in one hit like total chumps. She's a complete pushover like that because her health is so bad. I liked all three fights, but yeah Sinh can be a total dick sometimes if he decides to stay in the air all the time.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Is the Fume Knight ultra greatsword worth infusing? I've been playing around with pyromancies so i was thinking maybe a fire infusion?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

That makes her a lot more interesting, the skeletons just die in one hit like total chumps. She's a complete pushover like that because her health is so bad. I liked all three fights, but yeah Sinh can be a total dick sometimes if he decides to stay in the air all the time.

Even when he's not in the air all the time, the dude won't loving sit still long enough for you to hit him more than a couple times even with a fast weapon. Combine that with some attacks with...questionable hitboxes, and the fight just becomes an absolute chore.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I cannot do sinh at all. Elana wasn't too bad if you had co-op to take some aggro and totally doable without help, but I just gave up. Looked up the rewards, decide I didn't want them and didn't go back. I never really found an opening in his attacks I was comfortable in punishing and every time he flew it felt mostly like luck more than anything else on whether he kill me with some fireball that also toxicked me up.

FK was certainly pretty difficult, but his attacks were all either telegraphed or easily avoided. He hits hard, but he's just a dude with a sword. I probably found him on par with the smelter demon. Kind of difficult, but it's more just learning to reliably dodge through his sword - I guess it's a bit git gud, but no more than any of the others.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Elana is only easy with good DPS, which is why you see such disparity in how people felt about her IMO.

Smornstein posted:

Is the Fume Knight ultra greatsword worth infusing? I've been playing around with pyromancies so i was thinking maybe a fire infusion?

Can't buff it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm still unsure what the point of the fume knight ultra sword is for besides pretending to be the fume knight. It has a pretty terrible moveset and horrible stat reqs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Even when he's not in the air all the time, the dude won't loving sit still long enough for you to hit him more than a couple times even with a fast weapon. Combine that with some attacks with...questionable hitboxes, and the fight just becomes an absolute chore.

The hitboxes on his attacks are fine.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I did both DLCs on NG5+ and the way people describe any of the fights as easy makes me think that they must be doing them on NG. If I had to rank the DLC bosses by difficulty, it would probably be something like Fume Knight, Elana, Sir Alonne, Sinh, The Trio, and Smelter Demon 2.0.

I've been using a GWC build ever since Elana, and I had to switch to that because of how little damage I was doing with every other option.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 31, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

The hitboxes on his attacks are fine.

Having tried to roll through a lot of his attacks (before giving up and grabbing a medium shield because gently caress you Sinh), I disagree!

E:

argondamn posted:

I did both DLCs on NG5+ and the way people describe any of the fights as easy makes me think that they must be doing them on NG. If I had to rank the DLC bosses by difficulty, it would probably be something like Fume Knight, Elana, Sir Alonne, Sinh, The Trio, and Smelter Demon 2.0.

I did it at NG, so yeah. That does make a difference.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, no poo poo playing on NG+5 makes things harder. Like, what point are you trying to make here?

King of Solomon posted:

Having tried to roll through a lot of his attacks (before giving up and grabbing a medium shield because gently caress you Sinh), I disagree!

something something git gud scrub something

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
NG+ and onward is The Real Dark Souls 2.

Sir Alonne on NG++ is one of the more tense fights I've ever done. It's a bit like Vendrick without the Buttcheek Maneuver.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I must live in opposite-world, or I just have a playstyle and skillset rather different from those of most people, because it seems like most of my posts in this thread are about how I had no trouble with things that most players find hard or I had a lot of trouble with things that most players like. For example:

I loving hated the Ruin Sentinels, mostly because they're a very luck-based fight in my experience, with a radical disparity in difficulty based on what attacks they do or don't decide to use. There's also plenty of opportunities to get stunlocked if you get hit by certain attacks depending on the positioning of the sentinels, making them basically one-hit-kills that drag on and add insult to injury. Of course, it didn't help that I was slightly under-geared and inexperienced the first time I fought them, but even now they're one of my most disliked bosses in both games. They should really be a late-game boss, in my view they're harder than most of what you fight in the latter half of the game. Hell, I had an easier time with the Gank Squad than with these shitheads.

Elana never gave me any trouble. I found all of her attacks to be fairly easy to dodge, Fake Velstadt is easy to keep away from if you're paying attention, and on my first time killing her she just randomly decided not to summon him at all. When he is on the field it can be hard to find time to heal without having a partner yourself, but that's about the only worry in this fight.

Fume Knight comes pretty close to being a fun fight, but falls short for my taste because he just has too drat much health for how much perfection his first phase demands. I'd like him if he had 80% or less of his current HP, but as he is the fight just wears on you. It's more about memorization and your endurance vs repetitive tasks than anything else.

Unimaginative as he is, the Blue Smelter is my favorite boss fight of the new DLC. Mind you, I'm talking about the bossfight alone, seperated from the approach which is frankly harder than he is. I think what I like about it is the unpredictability that others so often complain about. He rewards dynamic play more than memorization- sure, you'll die if you go on autopilot, but all his attacks have huge tells and you can dodge everything if you're actually paying attention. He's also reasonably forgiving regards time to heal, and doesn't have so much health that he becomes obnoxious.

I think Sinh is really great. Probably my favorite boss in the game. Not only is it mechanically very interesting, it's also cool to watch with a lot of attention to detail in the animations, the attacks it uses based on certain conditions, and just the amount of breakable stuff in the arena. Also his hitboxes are just fine (you're just bad at rolling), and sometimes you will have to accept not getting any hits in during a ground phase, but most of the time you should have time to get a couple of hits in with a Greatsword. When he rears up to do his 'standing' fire attack, you're doing something wrong if you can't get two or three hits in on his tail.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ng+4 and beyond is pretty garbage, since all large enemies get absurd amounts of HP by that point.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, no poo poo playing on NG+5 makes things harder. Like, what point are you trying to make here?

This game is really hard and you guys are making me feel bad when you say things like 'lol beat elana first try'.

Also, bosses that aren't really that hard in NG relative to the other bosses at that level, can become much harder than the other bosses in the NG+ stages. Boss difficulty doesn't scale linearly through NG level.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 31, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started playing the second DCL on NG+3 and absolutely hated fighting all the groups of damage sponges with high poise, so I just made a new character in about the same time it took me to reach the pit of death room. I only went to any NG+ because I want to get the pyromancies and miracles off Wellager so I can complete the achievements, anyway.

e: and the phantoms are absolute cunts on higher levels of NG

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nothing does. NG+2 is a lot easier than the first run, but NG+3 is just tedious and after that it becomes stupid. All they do is add more health and damage and you're pretty much done scaling around level 150-200, ie around the end if your first run.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm midway through my first play through with two of the primal bonfires lit so far. I bought the season pass because I love this game.

When is a good time to play the crown DLCs? Should I wait to finish the main game first or jump right into it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm midway through my first play through with two of the primal bonfires lit so far. I bought the season pass because I love this game.

When is a good time to play the crown DLCs? Should I wait to finish the main game first or jump right into it?

Any time after you've reached Drangleic Castle is good. Although the second DLC has an area you can only access with the Ashen Mist Heart, an item you get from the final area.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Certainly close to the end. Probably afterwards, although it might be a good idea to keep them in mind to explore if you get stuck later. The latest one will block off some (optional) content until you get almost to the end of the game, but you can do most of it earlier. They're mostly tuned for late/postgame difficulty though, it seems.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can try jumping in whenever you want, but do expect to get a bit of challenge. There are some nice rewards to be claimed in there, but you can always choose to go in and explore, and return to the maingame if it seems too daunting. I think the general consensus is to come back when you're in or done with the Shrine of Amana/Undead Crypt area.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The approach to the DLC's is that battles are more like puzzles. If you figure out the puzzle to an encounter, they become a thousand times easier. Brute forcing it makes it harder than the hardest area in the game.

edit: Yeah the ruin sentinels are a piece of cake once you realize a Mace+Gold Resin destroys the 1st one like lightning fast, damage the 2nd one by a good amount and, then just move around and hit them. They are far easier than the Gargoyle fight because there's only 2 of them basically and their attacks are huge wind-ups (Plus you can put their attacks to muscle memory considering they re-appear in Drangelic).

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 31, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cathair posted:

I must live in opposite-world, or I just have a playstyle and skillset rather different from those of most people, because it seems like most of my posts in this thread are about how I had no trouble with things that most players find hard or I had a lot of trouble with things that most players like. For example:

I loving hated the Ruin Sentinels, mostly because they're a very luck-based fight in my experience, with a radical disparity in difficulty based on what attacks they do or don't decide to use. There's also plenty of opportunities to get stunlocked if you get hit by certain attacks depending on the positioning of the sentinels, making them basically one-hit-kills that drag on and add insult to injury. Of course, it didn't help that I was slightly under-geared and inexperienced the first time I fought them, but even now they're one of my most disliked bosses in both games. They should really be a late-game boss, in my view they're harder than most of what you fight in the latter half of the game. Hell, I had an easier time with the Gank Squad than with these shitheads.

Given that you've beaten the DLC bosses, do yourself a favor and go back on a newish character and go up against the Ruin Sentinels. You'll find that they're hilariously easy and hilariously telegraphed, as well as that you can much more easily keep track of where they are. It's really night and day just how much player skill improves over time in this game. You still have to pay attention, but the last few times I've fought the Ruin Sentinels, I more or less leisurely stroll around the room around their attacks, dodge occasionally and kill them without breaking a sweat.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cathair posted:

I think Sinh is really great. Probably my favorite boss in the game. Not only is it mechanically very interesting, it's also cool to watch with a lot of attention to detail in the animations, the attacks it uses based on certain conditions, and just the amount of breakable stuff in the arena. Also his hitboxes are just fine (you're just bad at rolling), and sometimes you will have to accept not getting any hits in during a ground phase, but most of the time you should have time to get a couple of hits in with a Greatsword. When he rears up to do his 'standing' fire attack, you're doing something wrong if you can't get two or three hits in on his tail.

Nah, I don't think I am. The hitboxes just feel slightly off for a lot of his attacks, like they last too long or something.

E: Just as an aside, while I was respeccing earlier today, I decided to check out what kind of stat investment is required for 115 agility. It was something like 50/50 ATN/ADP, it was insane; especially considering that's just for the last five points. You can get to 110 at around 15/38.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 31, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The worst thing about the additional investment is you get only 1 more invicibility frame (12 at 100 and only 13 at 105-110). gently caress that, I think.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

lordfrikk posted:

The worst thing about the additional investment is you get only 1 more invicibility frame (12 at 100 and only 13 at 105-110). gently caress that, I think.

This is true, but getting to 105 isn't a hugely significant investment. Even with very little attunement you'll probably hit it before the ADP softcap. It's just 115 that's loving nuts.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

lordfrikk posted:

Do you get anything else from it? Like faster estus drinking or item use or something?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do you get anything else from it? Like faster estus drinking or item use or something?

Yeah, agility speeds up consumable use.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Given that you've beaten the DLC bosses, do yourself a favor and go back on a newish character and go up against the Ruin Sentinels. You'll find that they're hilariously easy and hilariously telegraphed, as well as that you can much more easily keep track of where they are. It's really night and day just how much player skill improves over time in this game. You still have to pay attention, but the last few times I've fought the Ruin Sentinels, I more or less leisurely stroll around the room around their attacks, dodge occasionally and kill them without breaking a sweat.

I think my biggest problem was that I never thought to use a strike weapon. Watching Woolie fight them in the Super Best Friends playthrough kinda blew my mind, seemed like he was doing almost twice as much damage as I was with my sword on my first fight with them.

I still think they're worse than the Gargoyles because the Gargoyles have less dangerous jump attacks, much less dangerous ranged attacks, and none of those tracking whirlwind spins.

King of Solomon posted:

Nah, I don't think I am. The hitboxes just feel slightly off for a lot of his attacks, like they last too long or something.

E: Just as an aside, while I was respeccing earlier today, I decided to check out what kind of stat investment is required for 115 agility. It was something like 50/50 ATN/ADP, it was insane; especially considering that's just for the last five points. You can get to 110 at around 15/38.

Yeah, I should've resisted including 'git gud' bullshit given that the same could be leveled at me in certain instances. I don't know exactly what attacks you have trouble with, but it might not be the attack itself that's hitting you- several large enemies can damage you by a lesser amount just from getting hit by other parts of their bodies while they attack. I hardly notice it with Sinh because the other dragons are so much worse about it. The Giant Lord is really bad about it, the slight shifting of his back foot while he swings his sword hits harder than the Fume Knight's UGS.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I wiped my computer and lost my save the day of the DLC(1) releasing and I haven't played since. Is there any goon out there that has good advice for somehow getting back to somewhat decent level or something?
I was almost 300 and had over a hundred and fifty hours, and I'm only saying that because I'm not opposed to using a goon cheat table or some poo poo like that, I know cheat engine decently enough and I'm not a dark souls pvp white knight like some.

My second question is as someone who enjoys this game how do you feel about both DLCs now that they've been released and have been out for a little bit? Are you hyped for the third after playing both?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Since you can trivially get a billion levelups there is functionally no reason to go without 105 AGI.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Not to poo poo on anyones parade, but 1 frame of extra invincibility makes a huge difference

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

You're vastly understating the effect of an additional iframe. Even a single extra iframe is absurdly good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Going from 105-110 is a pretty decent stat investment, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

Going from 105-110 is a pretty decent stat investment, though.

You don't get anything at 110. The next iframe tier is at 115, which as mentioned before requires an immense stat investment. 105 is reasonable enough though (and hell, 110 isn't too bad either.)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

105 AGI is one frame less than DWGR, if that helps to compare.

code:
Agility 	iFrame Count
85 		8
90 		9
95 		10
100 		12
105 		13
110 		13
115 		15
120 		16

Read fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 1, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

You don't get anything at 110. The next iframe tier is at 115, which as mentioned before requires an immense stat investment. 105 is reasonable enough though (and hell, 110 isn't too bad either.)

Ah, I misread. Yeah that's way more than you're gonna want to invest in NG, or even NG+. And only crazy people go past that. :colbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bob NewSCART posted:

My second question is as someone who enjoys this game how do you feel about both DLCs now that they've been released and have been out for a little bit? Are you hyped for the third after playing both?

Level design is great for exploring, mediocre for PVP. Enemies and bosses are a mix of cool fun poo poo and bad boring poo poo. Some of the new weapons and spells are neat and the new armors look cool. Overall it's good and worth it but not amazing or anything, it's like a good expansion pack for Dark Souls 2.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

I wiped my computer and lost my save the day of the DLC(1) releasing and I haven't played since. Is there any goon out there that has good advice for somehow getting back to somewhat decent level or something?
I was almost 300 and had over a hundred and fifty hours, and I'm only saying that because I'm not opposed to using a goon cheat table or some poo poo like that, I know cheat engine decently enough and I'm not a dark souls pvp white knight like some.

1) The earliest good farming opportunity I know is the Old Knights at Heide's. It's 'good' by newbie standards but still pretty tedious. The only way I know of to really rake in huge numbers of souls quickly is to farm the Giant Lord, which has it's own respawning ascetic in the area so you can do it infinitely. However, that requires the King's Ring to even get to, and gets really dangerous at higher intensities.

My current character is SL two hundred and... seventeen, I think? And it costs me around 80k to level up. Frankly I'd recommend just cheating. I don't know what the most current CE table is, but most of this one still works. You might be surprised at how quickly you can complete areas in a new game once you're familiar with everything, but to hell with the grinding to get the stats you need for fun stuff. At the very least, give yourself enough souls for 20 Adaptability right off the bat.

2) Short answer: Yes, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Long answer: I think the first DLC was excellent. It's full of simple but fun pseudo-puzzles, including the slightly unconventional enemies themselves. It's a fairly well-paced adventure that reminds me of a well-made DnD campaign, with a good DM who allows the use of on-the-fly tactics. It's also kinda like Legend of Zelda, take your pick. The setting is a bit dreary but I thought it was cool, being so far underground.

The second DLC was not as good but I think it's still worth having. Its main problem is that a significant amount of its combat seems aimed primarily at the dull autists who think that difficulty is the primary factor in what makes Dark Souls good. In Shulva, you'll come into encounters that seem unfairly difficult and the solution is usually something clever, like raising or lowering platforms to provide cover/obstacles to your advantage. In Iron King, you'll come across 'unfair' encounters where the solution is to awkwardly cheese it by sniping from above, or else just be That Good. And then you run into encounters like that where the enemies are highly resistant to arrows. And everything's magic-proof, so I hope you don't like caster builds or even infused weapons. I'm a lot less salty about it now that I've gotten familiar and comfortable with it, and it does have some opportunities to be clever, but I still didn't like it as much.

Still, it had its high points, it looks really good, and the new items are great. They're quite unique and some of them really strike my fancy. I want to see what they come up with next, both level- and loot-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bob NewSCART posted:

The zones are way more interesting in and of themselves and are laid out much more like a puzzle or labyrinth, as opposed to the pretty but basically linear zones for the vanilla game. The monsters and bosses are pretty meh; Sunken Crown just copy pastes the Nashandra and Kalameet fights (although the dragon fight is still probably my favorite boss ins DaS2) and Iron Crown copy pastes Smelter almost exactly and runs two other bosses that are pretty similar to Pursuer/Velstadt. The gear from both areas was pretty underwhelming overall for me but YMMV. Overall I really wish they would have given you the option to just have the DLC replace Black Gulch and Iron Keep because I think both the DLC areas are way better designed than the zones they immediately follow.

Also, does the Shrine of Winter not open based on having 1M+ souls any more? I read earlier in the thread someone positing the notion of doing a mandatory boss only run, and I definitely CE-ed my SM to 1.5M on a NG character made for this challenge, and the doors just keep saying SEEK GREATER SOULS. I warped around a couple times and even killed some monsters so my SM would increase, but no dice. I can just as easy hack in the 4 Boss Souls so that I can open the door, but I really was surprised to see that the doors didn't open with over 1M SM.