Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

Forgot about that. Basically, in the end game, after all characters converge together to tackle the insanely long first half of the final dungeon, you'll reach a gimmicky boss that can only be defeated by having certain characters in your party, but having more certain characters in your party will prevent you from losing another certain character. You can look it up when you get to that point, since the boss will instantly kill you unless you have the right characters, and chances are high you won't be using one of the required ones.

To be fair, it's not hard at all when you fight that boss to realize what characters you need to use. You would have to be completely oblivious to pathos to not know who you needed. That being said, that final dungeon and that boss is so loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

i want a chrono cross 2.

It's called "Donnie Darko".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm almost done with my first run of Chrono Trigger and then I'll be moving onto Cross. Perhaps I'll also try out Radical Dreamers before Cross, dunno yet. Playing the DS version which for added bonus apparently has some retroactive foreshadowing to Cross? I haven't seen any of that yet so maybe it's in the DS-exclusive ending/dungeons.

I liked Trigger a lot though. It was a very fun simple little story with some good charactes. Armed with the knowledge that these characters probably all die, I don't think I'll be as upset as some people. I guess it all depends on presentation.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm almost done with my first run of Chrono Trigger and then I'll be moving onto Cross. Perhaps I'll also try out Radical Dreamers before Cross, dunno yet. Playing the DS version which for added bonus apparently has some retroactive foreshadowing to Cross? I haven't seen any of that yet so maybe it's in the DS-exclusive ending/dungeons.

I liked Trigger a lot though. It was a very fun simple little story with some good charactes. Armed with the knowledge that these characters probably all die, I don't think I'll be as upset as some people. I guess it all depends on presentation.

I'm pretty sure most of it is people playing the gently caress out of Chrono Trigger back in 1995 and then hearing about a sequel and hyping themselves up for five years and then you got...Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross is a good game, but indeed a horrible Trigger sequel. Which it was never really trying to BE, but you know.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure most of it is people playing the gently caress out of Chrono Trigger back in 1995 and then hearing about a sequel and hyping themselves up for five years and then you got...Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross is a good game, but indeed a horrible Trigger sequel. Which it was never really trying to BE, but you know.

It kind of is (in as much as taking place in the same world) but when it is trying it's hamstringing itself. Which is really the games faults, it's trying to do way to much and a lot of what it's trying to do isn't very good... Still a good game, but it could have been an amazing game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Conceptually, Chrono Cross is the perfect sequel to Trigger, if they just did more time travel it'd feel like a rehash. Personally I really like them going with the concept of parallel dimensions instead. The story kinda poo poo the bed though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really like Chrono Cross because you can play as a Pirate and he's one of only 2 characters that can steal in the entire game!!!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My biggest problem with CC was all the characters. That was a really dumb decision.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

My biggest problem with CC was all the characters. That was a really dumb decision.

The characters being boring and having no personality would have been less of an issue if the game didn't have a three character party with one character basically hardlocked.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno, going through this weird fever dream story with a block of wood and an alien was..uhh..something.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think Chrono Cross is a very fun game. That being said, it definitely has issues (like there being too many characters, a weak main plot for most of the game). I still like it, though, and I don't think a Chrono Trigger 2 would have really worked that well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno, going through this weird fever dream story with a block of wood and an alien was..uhh..something.
Or a sentient turnip and a psychic luchador priest.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Or a sentient turnip and a psychic luchador priest.

Or a talking pink dog and sheep that can turn into the devil.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I mean, the character designs were great but they really added nothing to the story. The luchador priest was cool but his contribution to the story was that he said "amigo" every now and then in his canned, generic lines. If they had pared it down to 12 characters (let's say two for each element) it could have been great.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The worst thing for me was you had to have Serge because he was the main character, and for 75% of boss fights you wanted either Kid or Fargo for stealing. That gives you one slot to play around with 40 other people, ranging from hilariously overpowered (Glenn) to middling but neat character design (Starky and Draggy) to kinda poo poo (Poshul). I never ran a party that didn't have Glenn in it mostly because of how insane Twin Einlanzers are.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Glenn? As in Frog Glenn? If so I guess that's another thing I know about CC but have no context for.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 1, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haha nope! Totally unrelated character named Glenn. That's Chrono Cross!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, his name's Glenn, he wields a legendary sword, and can do X-Strike with the main character. Other than that, completely unrelated. Chrono Cross is a funny game like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are there any JRPG or JRPG like games with parties bigger than like 4 or 5 that aren't strategy games? It would be neat if there was a game a CC-sized pool of options with a bigass party size. It's probably overkill at a certain point but I was just wondering if anybody ever tried to make a game like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Are there any JRPG or JRPG like games with parties bigger than like 4 or 5 that aren't strategy games? It would be neat if there was a game a CC-sized pool of options with a bigass party size. It's probably overkill at a certain point but I was just wondering if anybody ever tried to make a game like that.

This game exists. It's called Suikoden. It has a cast of 108 characters, 6-person parties and war battles which make use of most/all of your characters, as well as many characters having a purpose in your castle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haha, my absolute favorite "that's Chrono Cross!" thing is how there's 45 playable characters and like 5 combo attacks. Total.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Haha, my absolute favorite "that's Chrono Cross!" thing is how there's 45 playable characters and like 5 combo attacks. Total.

I think my favorite is that there is a good number of characters, including dudes like Glenn who people would seriously want to recruit, hidden behind a plot branch which basically boils down to "do you want to be a dick for no real reason y/n?"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think my favorite is that there is a good number of characters, including dudes like Glenn who people would seriously want to recruit, hidden behind a plot branch which basically boils down to "do you want to be a dick for no real reason y/n?"

Perhaps it is a commentary on how willingly people would sacrifice their friends for power and personal gain. Makes you think.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Final Fantasy X would also kind of sort of count, since while there's only 3 people on the field at any one time, you can swap out for anyone on the bench whenever someone's turn comes up. Useful for getting slow characters into play faster.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

Perhaps it is a commentary on how willingly people would sacrifice their friends for power and personal gain. Makes you think.

It's just Kid majority of the time though, and she always sticks to you for plot reasons regardless. And you get better friends anyways.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
More RPGs should follow the FFX method of letting anyone in at anytime, and I don't know why there hasn't been one since, especially in a copycat industry.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

More RPGs should follow the FFX method of letting anyone in at anytime, and I don't know why there hasn't been one since, especially in a copycat industry.

Golden Sun 2 does that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Megaman X Command Mission reused it :colbert:. Everyone always forgets about that game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Megaman X Command Mission reused it :colbert:. Everyone always forgets about that game.

I don't! Any game that punts Zero off a roof within the first half hour is well remembered by me. Does paint both X and Zero as tremendous morons, though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't! Any game that punts Zero off a roof within the first half hour is well remembered by me. Does paint both X and Zero as tremendous morons, though.

Doesn't X have an exhaust ninja scarf and one of your party members is Zorro with Setzer's weapon?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Doesn't X have an exhaust ninja scarf and one of your party members is Zorro with Setzer's weapon?

I think Spider is who you're talking about on the latter.

And yes, X totally has a bitching exhaust, Strider Hiryu scarf.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tae posted:

There's that one LotR RPG that almost definitely does it.

Although that probably doesn't count because it is literally just FFX repainted slightly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This game exists. It's called Suikoden. It has a cast of 108 characters, 6-person parties and war battles which make use of most/all of your characters, as well as many characters having a purpose in your castle.

Interesting. Is it any good?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dragonatrix posted:

There's that one LotR RPG that almost definitely does it.

Although that probably doesn't count because it is literally just FFX repainted slightly.

FFX really could have used a mode where you slam the entire party as Sin.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Interesting. Is it any good?

Yeah, pretty much. 1,2, and 5 are your best bets if you want try that series.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Good luck legitimately obtaining a copy of Suikoden II for less than $100, though. The others won't exactly be cheap, either.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Tae posted:

Last year's Tales of Xillia let you switch in characters mid-battle anytime you wanted. Tales of Xillia 2 took away that feature however.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Good luck legitimately obtaining a copy of Suikoden II for less than $100, though. The others won't exactly be cheap, either.

Suikoden I is on PSN as a PSOne classic at least, that's how I played it. Dunno about the others.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would probably give a spare organ or two for a cleaned-up, retranslated re-release of Suikoden II. Sadly the series has been dead in the water for almost 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Suikoden 2 is probably my favorite PS1 game. My second favorite being FF9.