Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
One thing that's fun (or maddening, I suppose) about this is that it gives you something to do in odd places. I was on Cape Cod all weekend and while I certainly don't think I found anything at all, it's fun to explore new historic sites looking for clues.

If anyone in Boston would like to sit down and go over anything, I could use a verbal refresher (even of my own theory). My job has been intense the last year and it's fallen off my everyday radar. I think work in the park is going to begin in earnest soon. I plan on contacting the BoingBoing author as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh yes! This thread is back. I actually had a dream last night we found the San Francisco one.

Is there another treasure hunt book we could scour? Feels like we've done this one to death, and I remember these hunts were a big fad in the 80s

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Are any other unsolved, and potentially still available? I think that's generally the rub with The Secret. It was supposed to be easy, and in 30 years only two were unearthed. Q4T actively hunts for things like this, so most of them have likely been solved or withdrawn. I know there was a more recent hunt for buried treasure that got wiped away by Sandy.

Whenever this gets any publicity or press (like the Boing Boing article) you find out about more groups (generally offline) who have worked this for a long time, and nobody has even gotten close. I would say this thread has made more "progress" than any other public discussion in a long time, and we've got some OK theories and at least some new theories. That's it. I think it would be easier if the author was alive, because if you got one right and it was gone (think Copley Square in Boston) he could at least tell you.

It also seems like at times he'd been willing to help out, not blind guesses, but the correspondence with the Chicago finders showed that he did want them found.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 27, 2014

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh yes! This thread is back. I actually had a dream last night we found the San Francisco one.

Is there another treasure hunt book we could scour? Feels like we've done this one to death, and I remember these hunts were a big fad in the 80s

You guys could take a fresh look at The Golden Apple Tale. This is another fairly elaborate one from the early 80's, and its got plenty of intrigue going on. It's been ages, and the PO Box originally associated with the author went dark a few years ago, but my experience with it thus far makes me think this one might still be solvable.

Like the Secret, the difficulty level here is pretty harsh, but some progress has been made on it over the years. I myself have worked off and on on a decent theory that I think gets a little closer to the answer than people have in the past. I'll post a link the the PDF in this thread for people to run through it if they're interested, but I don't have time at the moment to really run through all the stuff that's already been discovered in here. Anyone interested can google around though and put together a rough picture of what's already been found by reading through the threads on q4t, tweleve, and the other weird communities into these old hunts.

A full PDF scan of the book is available here:

http://www.filedropper.com/thegoldenappletale

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

YES! I love this thread. Go find them American Goons! Also on a side note: http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/28/gold-bars-worth-10000-buried-on-beach-in-folkestone-for-treasure-hunt-and-it-is-finders-keepers-4849199/
People around the world are still burying treasure.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Anyone who thinks Cambridge Common might still be the place for Boston might want to get out there really quick. There's construction going on around the ballfield as well as the spot of green across from the Dawes Island bus stop, the place with the flagpole above the bus portal.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

Anyone who thinks Cambridge Common might still be the place for Boston might want to get out there really quick. There's construction going on around the ballfield as well as the spot of green across from the Dawes Island bus stop, the place with the flagpole above the bus portal.

I'm supposed to meet the author of the Boing Boing article on Sat I think. :unsmith:

I knew about the construction, there isn't too much we could do about it. I don't really like the ballfield itself as a source, because there's no marker to dig at (it's not UNDER home plate, there's a huge hollow where home plate's anchor goes into the ground) but I've always liked that side of the park.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So this is clearly boss as gently caress, and OTP gave me blue balls. What needs doing on the kill devil hills cask? I live about 3 hours away and could bill it as a beach vacation to the ladie friend and then not tell anyone that its actually a goony treasure hunt

xie
Jul 29, 2004

xie fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 5, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did we solve it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Parallax Scroll posted:

did we solve it
possibly, but we'll never know since none of us own our own private team of lawyers to secure all the permission necessary to find out

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oh poo poo, I forgot about this. I was in Chicago in the middle of July and came across a copy of the leg eater in a design store. I forgot to email the store to find out if they knew the origin of that particular feature. I'm gonna do that.

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...
I've read that Boston theory, and i have to agree with you that it's very good. I think it might be correct. I wouldn't support the notion that "eighteenth day, twelfth hour" could translate as a reference to the 18th of 30 (when counted in his specific way) bench in that park, but honestly i took a hard look at the set of visual matches and it really does work.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
whats in the box?!?!?!! - brad pitt lol

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
bits of ceramic
ground around so under ground
nineteen eighty three

xie
Jul 29, 2004

xie fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 5, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Wow, this is still going? Guess I'll head over to Q4T and see what's going on.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Looking for people in the NY area to maybe take some pics for me and help gather info on Cask 12.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Beep boop - how about anyone in Montreal? I'll reimburse you :)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

same

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

xie posted:

How did your boston on-site investigation go?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Not bad at all - it's not a place you can easily dig at so before anything is attempted a little more "sureness" is necessary.

I like a lot of the stuff there, there's (as usual) stuff I didn't love. It's certainly promising seeming but tbqh I don't think anyone's ready to pull anything out of the ground just yet.

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...
So close, though.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

xie posted:

i already took a bunch that are i nthe thread somewhere :)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Visiting milwaukee the first week of October to see a fellow fan of this thread. We have Sunday afternoon free. Not sure I could provide anything that the author of that excellent article didn't already show, but if someone's got a lead and wants some photos, we could snap 'em.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

stab posted:

i already took a bunch that are i nthe thread somewhere :)

I know, I need a specific picture from a specific angle!

YumemiSama
Apr 19, 2007
Borg Queen Emeritus
Hey, xie, have you considered trying to team up with, say, the MIT urb-ex people? If anyone can get the equipment/publicity/permission to dig around in Cambridge, it's probably a group like that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'll be in Montreal at the end of the month and would take photos.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I haven't but that's not a bad idea. The Esplanade association is very helpful, just not for the digging part.

If I can't get Montreal pics before then I'll take you up on that. I need some pics of a monument in Mount Royal Park, one from a specific angle, and the surrounding grounds. :)

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
I was in Milwaukee yesterday and when I walked past the Pabst Theater I thought about this thread. Came here hoping treasure had been found.:(

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

TipsyMc posted:

I was in Milwaukee yesterday and when I walked past the Pabst Theater I thought about this thread. Came here hoping treasure had been found.:(

No one knows where that mke ones at. We stopped trying a long time ago.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

There are people on Q4T who say they are making progress with it. I don't really like anything about it but there's no arguing with them when they get an idea.

Since I'm bumping: Still happy to reimburse someone to take some very specific pictures for me in Montreal, over near the Cartier monument.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

xie posted:

There are people on Q4T who say they are making progress with it. I don't really like anything about it but there's no arguing with them when they get an idea.

Since I'm bumping: Still happy to reimburse someone to take some very specific pictures for me in Montreal, over near the Cartier monument.

I live in Montreal, I might be able to do this sometime later this week. I don't have plat so maybe shoot me an e-mail with the details (contact@vaporblog.org)?

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...
Alright. So if anyone still follows this thread it's time for an update. I've never made a serious post here before, but I've been working some of these puzzles like they were part time jobs for a year or so now.

Specifically one of them.

It's taken me forever, and it's been something of a trial and error deal, but I know the answer to one of these things down to an area of a few feet by a few feet. People say that pretty regularly, but seriously, I do. I've been secretive as hell about it, but I'm going to let up on that some. I'm posting this vague poo poo in the thread now as something of a toxx clause.

I'm a bit of a coward, apparently--maybe I just need a little peer pressure to get this done. To be fair, the author of the book buried these things deep as gently caress and 30+ years ago. Here's a cross-section picture of the depth circa 1984 courtesy of the Chicago kids.

drat. What the hell man, are people just supposed to go excavating parks hoping to nick the corner of one of these things with their shovel? The early 1980s were a different time certainly, but still this is a rather dubious puzzle design.

I've been to the site in question like two or three times since alighting upon the correct-ish answer, stood over the top of cask hmming and hawing about the sheriff's whereabouts, and still I cant bring myself to to dig the kind of hole that will produce whatever crushed remnants of these boxes remain.

Anyways, I know "what the authors intended" as the answer to one of these things. It's as precise a spot as this kind of puzzle can give, but I'm totally going to get caught digging it up. It'll be the same story as the Chicago kids--the riddle is solved, and the spot is "known", but in practical terms that translates into carving out quite a fat-assed hole. Seeing this through probably involves getting popped with a mischief charge or something. Court, fees, etc. Nothing I should really fear, but do anyways.

I should say that my solution to this puzzle isn't orthodox. The community on Q4T is totally hosed up on some embarassing groupthink and has no idea about where these things are for the most part. That said, none of this poo poo is complicated and it's all mostly based on 1:1 visual matches and simplistic riddles. I've written up my solution completely. It's so obviously correct that I was able to flush it out to 60 pages as a PDF. The puzzles really are pretty detailed.

If you're a PNW goon PM me to get involved. If not, tell me to nut the gently caress up and go put a conspicuous crater alongside a historic monument. Pressure me to do this stupid rear end poo poo!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Do it!

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

gently caress yeah man. It would be absurd to take it this far and then let the final step preclude solving the puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Never Been Banned posted:

Alright. So if anyone still follows this thread it's time for an update. I've never made a serious post here before, but I've been working some of these puzzles like they were part time jobs for a year or so now.

Specifically one of them.

It's taken me forever, and it's been something of a trial and error deal, but I know the answer to one of these things down to an area of a few feet by a few feet. People say that pretty regularly, but seriously, I do. I've been secretive as hell about it, but I'm going to let up on that some. I'm posting this vague poo poo in the thread now as something of a toxx clause.

I'm a bit of a coward, apparently--maybe I just need a little peer pressure to get this done. To be fair, the author of the book buried these things deep as gently caress and 30+ years ago. Here's a cross-section picture of the depth circa 1984 courtesy of the Chicago kids.

drat. What the hell man, are people just supposed to go excavating parks hoping to nick the corner of one of these things with their shovel? The early 1980s were a different time certainly, but still this is a rather dubious puzzle design.

I've been to the site in question like two or three times since alighting upon the correct-ish answer, stood over the top of cask hmming and hawing about the sheriff's whereabouts, and still I cant bring myself to to dig the kind of hole that will produce whatever crushed remnants of these boxes remain.

Anyways, I know "what the authors intended" as the answer to one of these things. It's as precise a spot as this kind of puzzle can give, but I'm totally going to get caught digging it up. It'll be the same story as the Chicago kids--the riddle is solved, and the spot is "known", but in practical terms that translates into carving out quite a fat-assed hole. Seeing this through probably involves getting popped with a mischief charge or something. Court, fees, etc. Nothing I should really fear, but do anyways.

I should say that my solution to this puzzle isn't orthodox. The community on Q4T is totally hosed up on some embarassing groupthink and has no idea about where these things are for the most part. That said, none of this poo poo is complicated and it's all mostly based on 1:1 visual matches and simplistic riddles. I've written up my solution completely. It's so obviously correct that I was able to flush it out to 60 pages as a PDF. The puzzles really are pretty detailed.

If you're a PNW goon PM me to get involved. If not, tell me to nut the gently caress up and go put a conspicuous crater alongside a historic monument. Pressure me to do this stupid rear end poo poo!

Don't do it! Post about it and let some other idiot get in trouble!