Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I landed a Stony Silence turn 2 both SB games and lost. It's loving unreal.

Stony Silence isn't amazing vs pod. You haven't actually stopped anything, you've just made it harder for them to do their thing. You also did this by spending a spell so you're not really ahead. Pod still has Chord to tutor things out and it's a creature based strategy so the longer you durdle the longer they're hitting you for 4-5 a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
I think I'll stop playing standard constructed until the second Khans set hit and just exclusively play limited. With fetches now in the picture, along with this tri-colored block, the money required to get those duals will be a bit too much for me at the moment. :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So which clan is Tarmogoyf going to be in? :v:

Monsieur Mango posted:

I think I'll stop playing standard constructed until the second Khans set hit and just exclusively play limited. With fetches now in the picture, along with this tri-colored block, the money required to get those duals will be a bit too much for me at the moment. :(

Fetches will be like 10 bucks in Standard.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 1, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is there a Magic Celebration / Free Magic Day again this year?

Monsieur Mango posted:

If you've been able to afford to play standard with Shocks, you'll be able to afford to play standard with Fetches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NovemberMike posted:

Stony Silence isn't amazing vs pod. You haven't actually stopped anything, you've just made it harder for them to do their thing. You also did this by spending a spell so you're not really ahead. Pod still has Chord to tutor things out and it's a creature based strategy so the longer you durdle the longer they're hitting you for 4-5 a turn.

He didn't resolve chord during our match. He just rolled me with dudes and I drew like poo poo... The other pod deck I lost to was a Kiki Pod player who seemed to have no idea what he was doing and of course I flood out 2 games in a row. I'm used to playing Twin so losing to pod decks is a new jarring experience....

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

This Painter vs Miracles game on the SCG stream is an absolute delight.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Can't stop watching that video of the fetches being revealed at PAX. What a cool moment :]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is the stupid deck I lost to in the first round of the Open yesterday. Apparently the kid finished 11th...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=72320

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
if you're like me a like to get a playset of modern/eternal/EDH relevant duals when they're cheaper, most of the theros scrylands are between $3 and $6 TCG low. G/W and G/B are the outliers at $7 and $8 respectively.

I picked up ~2 of everything under $5 and 1 of the rest.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

AgentSythe posted:

That is the way Magic is meant to be played right there.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

AgentSythe posted:

That was magical, I want more motley crew beat downs to occur. Cedric Phillips sounded like he was close to charging down the Miracles player from the desk.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Attorney at Funk posted:

That is the way Magic is meant to be played right there.

Cedric Phillips makes this poo poo tolerable, god bless him. I miss his streaming.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Them mediocre beats, man. Nothing like it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

This is the stupid deck I lost to in the first round of the Open yesterday. Apparently the kid finished 11th...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=72320

If by "stupid" you mean "mega ownage," then agreed.

Edit: I wanted the Imperial Recruiter chains to get there SO BAD. Kitchen had all the angles.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 1, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

If by "stupid" you mean "mega ownage," then agreed.

Edit: I wanted the Imperial Recruiter chains to get there SO BAD. Kitchen had all the angles.

Meh. I was shocked to see he only had 2 Aqueous Form's. I thought he had about 12 in there.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you've been able to afford to play standard with Shocks, you'll be able to afford to play standard with Fetches.

Hell, they may be more affordable than shocks while in print. Without typed duals around for them to fetch they are pretty subpar and without demand in standard decks you're going to see a lot of them get dumped onto the market unwanted. Plus, people are going to buy shitloads of boxes hoping to crack the things so the very merchants and speculators that want to profit off them may wind up putting a lot of downward pressure on the price themselves.

Foils should be a guaranteed payday though - legacy-playable foils always fetch massive premiums (See: Conspiracy Brainstorms) so those will be worth a mint if you get lucky enough to crack one.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Them massive beats with two 1/1s.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

Hell, they may be more affordable than shocks while in print. Without typed duals around for them to fetch they are pretty subpar and without demand in standard decks you're going to see a lot of them get dumped onto the market unwanted. Plus, people are going to buy shitloads of boxes hoping to crack the things so the very merchants and speculators that want to profit off them may wind up putting a lot of downward pressure on the price themselves.

Foils should be a guaranteed payday though - legacy-playable foils always fetch massive premiums (See: Conspiracy Brainstorms) so those will be worth a mint if you get lucky enough to crack one.

If you think they aren't going to be in pretty much every standard deck you're nuts.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Geez, Dan Musser was just absolutely unwilling to pull the trigger.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

He didn't resolve chord during our match. He just rolled me with dudes and I drew like poo poo... The other pod deck I lost to was a Kiki Pod player who seemed to have no idea what he was doing and of course I flood out 2 games in a row. I'm used to playing Twin so losing to pod decks is a new jarring experience....

I can't beat pod no matter what I do. I'm cursed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

These guys look like they are falling asleep on the stream watching Miracles.

Snacksmaniac posted:

If you wanna beat pod, sleeve up Twin. It's literally a bye.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

These guys look like they are falling asleep on the stream watching Miracles.

Can't blame them. Having played Miracles and watched several Miracles matches, this guy is absolutely glacial with his plays.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Snacksmaniac posted:

What deck are you playing? It's hard, but Pod is beatable.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ramos posted:

Can't blame. Having played Miracles and watched several Miracles matches, this guy is absolutely glacial with his plays.

On top of that, they've been working for like 17 hours straight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

On top of that, they've been working for like 17 hours straight.

Yeah these guys do work hard and I doubt they get paid much. I was there at 9 the last two days and I was dead by like 4:30. Thinking is hard.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If you think they aren't going to be in pretty much every standard deck you're nuts.
What makes them great in Modern might not be around in Standard. Right now, the only thing the fetches are grabbing are basic lands. Obviously, they're probably going to put in some sort of typed dual, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see many fetches at all.

Edit: Many fetches at all in Standard decks, I mean.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jonked posted:

What makes them great in Modern might not be around in Standard. Right now, the only thing the fetches are grabbing are basic lands. Obviously, they're probably going to put in some sort of typed dual, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see many fetches at all.

Even if they just grab basics they are terrific and will be in pretty much every deck. And I'm sure there will be other targets.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Jonked posted:

Fetches aren't particularly good without typed duals, but people will still play them because they need to play dual lands. I wasn't around for Zendikar standard so I can't comment on that, but in Onslaught standard, they only really took priority over pain lands when decks could take advantage of the graveyard through Grim Lavamancer or Psychatog or whatever.

e: of course most decks just played both fetches and pains when they could, but decks like wake tended to play more pains/odyssey filters than fetches

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 1, 2014

redux
Apr 23, 2008

Jonked posted:

Edit: Many fetches at all in Standard decks, I mean.

Three words: courser of kruphix.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

redux posted:

Three words: courser of kruphix.

Also: This. There is a reason it's 16 bucks now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Fetches aren't particularly good without typed duals, but people will still play them because they need to play dual lands. I wasn't around for Zendikar standard so I can't comment on that, but in Onslaught standard, they only really took priority over pain lands when decks could take advantage of the graveyard through Grim Lavamancer or Psychatog or whatever.

e: of course most decks just played both fetches and pains when they could, but decks like wake tended to play more pains/odyssey filters than fetches

All the 3 color decks (best decks) of both eras were supported by fetches.

KTK is a wedge block. I cannot believe this is even up for debate.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Also: This. There is a reason it's 16 bucks now.

Goddammit. I checked them last night right when fetches were announced and they were only $10. Should've pulled the trigger.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

All the 3 color decks (best decks) of both eras were supported by fetches.

KTK is a wedge block. I cannot believe this is even up for debate.

The best deck in ONS era were not 3 colors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Goddammit. I checked them last night right when fetches were announced and they were only $10. Should've pulled the trigger.

16 is completely unsustainable, especially because they are in the Clash Pack product which you can get for 20 bucks on amazon...

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

the best deck in OD/ONS was arguably wake which was three colors but it still didn't really play fetches. the 3-color aggro decks that sometimes saw play did though, but that was mostly because of lavamancer

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Elyv posted:

Mirari's Wake and Jund were busted decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

the best deck in OD/ONS was arguably wake which was three colors but it still didn't really play fetches. the 3-color aggro decks that sometimes saw play did though, but that was mostly because of lavamancer

We're getting off topic, but iirc Wake was only the best deck once seventh rotated out and eighth rotated in with corresponding loss of counterspell, force spike, and maybe opportunity(I can't remember if Opportunity saw any play); I thought before that it was Tog.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Elyv posted:

We're getting off topic, but iirc Wake was only the best deck once seventh rotated out and eighth rotated in with corresponding loss of counterspell, force spike, and maybe opportunity(I can't remember if Opportunity saw any play); I thought before that it was Tog.

No, it was always the best, but people were much worse at the game and worse at deckbuilding. Like Legacy Miracles it took a swift practiced pilot to successfully play it at a tournament.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Alright so fetches are... Deck thinning, easy shuffling when you have a way to look at the top cards of your deck, maybe ways to grab dual/tri lands (like murmuring bosk without the treefolk sub them?) if they come with Khans. They also enable landfall abilities like Courser of Cruphix, which conveniently enjoys all of the abilities fetches provide.

Is the clash pack at this point cheaper than the parts you get from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

It was wake or tog depending on who you ask, both were really good

the unofficial best (and by best i mean coolest) deck was actually r/w slide with the 15 land destruction sideboard though

• Locked thread