Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes. The QSR rules are simplified in a few places, they're good for a quick store/con demo but if you plan to play the game there are things you'll have to unlearn.

If you want a gentle introduction, watch the whole "game mechanic tutorial" series from CB's youtube channel and go from there.

Also, I definitely wouldn't recommend Miniwargaming's Learning Infinity Batrep videos. They are extremely well presented but usually make both rules and tactical mistakes, they'll eventually put a correction of the rules errors somewhere in the comments or the forum thread but you'll never see it if you're just watching the video. Pity, they have great potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New Fusi's.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Flipswitch posted:

New Fusi's.

I've decided that I like 3d sculpting.

A lot.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Cyclomatic posted:

I've decided that I like 3d sculpting.

A lot.

Yeah. I was floored when I saw the warhammer 40k stuff where, like, half a gun would be connected to the top part of a cloak, which was part of a long hose that connected to a backpack, and somehow wrapped all the way around the mini to connect with an arm, and all fit together without glue.

I hope the Infinity guys start using it a little more to make assembly easier.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
So apparently the Combined Army Tohaa are not 'evil' or 'brainwashed'.

The EI conquered them, setup their transcendence project, and then life when right back to normal for the regular Tohaa. So it appears that their motivation is basically one part 'stop this useless struggling' and one part revenge on the Tohaa powers that be for lying and fighting a war that is only about the preservation of their power/control.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

So apparently the Combined Army Tohaa are not 'evil' or 'brainwashed'.

I really like this, it's a lot less cliche.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I both like 'shades of grey' in my wargaming, as I wouldn't be surprised if people are less inclined to play the 'bad' guys, hence why you get so many Imperial apologists in Star Wars, but it's a bit overdone. I think it'd be less of the beaten path to have straight up villain factions.

In other news, Corvus Belli are an amazing company.

I run a tournament for just shy of 30 people called Total Reaction, and it's next Sunday. We emailed CB asking if there was anything they could do to help out, and they sent us a copy of the mini rulebook from Icestorm for every player, two dozen army patches, over twenty individual model blisters, and additional box sets.

They pretty much doubled our prize support and made sure everyone who attends gets back the cost of their ticket in swag right off the bat.

I love these guys and gladly support their abuse of poor Giraldez.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

I think it'd be less of the beaten path to have straight up villain factions.

But that's what PanO is for :confused:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Nah, PanO players are the villains. :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Australia and bros leading the world through :science: the best possible future! How could PanO possibly be villains?

WAR FOOT posted:

I run a tournament for just shy of 30 people called Total Reaction, and it's next Sunday. We emailed CB asking if there was anything they could do to help out, and they sent us a copy of the mini rulebook from Icestorm for every player, two dozen army patches, over twenty individual model blisters, and additional box sets.
Wow, CB confirmed for best miniature company ever. That's awesome!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

They pretty much doubled our prize support and made sure everyone who attends gets back the cost of their ticket in swag right off the bat.

I love these guys and gladly support their abuse of poor Giraldez.

Sweet, I'm so ready to go 0-4!

But I'm sure it'll be fun regardless.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HiveCommander posted:

Australia and bros leading the world through :science: the best possible future! How could PanO possibly be villains?

If you're liberal, it's because of the christianity and colonialism. If you're conservative, it's because of the multiculturalism and welfare state. If you're libertarian, it's because of the nanny state AI. If you're green party, it's because of the consumer culture.

PanO; truly a villain for the future.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Derp

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 31, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ronwayne posted:

I really want to like Ariadna. However, I know deep down they, especially U.S.Ari are just Space Michelle Bachmann except the werewolf part isn't just an epithet.

The thing about Ariadna is that they have a legitimate beef with Being cut off and first contact led to war over the unobtanium on the planet they struggle to survive on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ronwayne posted:

I really want to like Ariadna. However, I know deep down they, especially U.S.Ari are just Space Michelle Bachmann except the werewolf part isn't just an epithet.

I'll admit I don't know a ton about the fluff, but I genuinely don't know why you'd think that.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Nevermind. You're right, that was dumb. I had to remind myself not every game setting is Warhammer 40k level of universal terrible.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 31, 2014

Sing Avoca!
Feb 26, 2008
Bunch of Australians in here, huh? I need to get my stuff painted up and ready to finally play a drat game.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Yup, and if you aint in the Australian FB group, GET ON IT!

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
So are they changing the default Combined scheme to be a more unified Red/Black theme? I just got done stripping down my Morats to repaint them and after seeing all the new CA concept art using that Brotherhood of NOD scheme I got kinda confused. It kinda makes sense if they are trying to unify the color pallets across the army if so.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I'm just playing a little test game with some paint pots, and I was hoping to get some clarification; the situation is a little sticky but includes alot of facets that I'm not yet 100% on. I had a scenario where Matt Black and Chainmail used a combined order to shoot Sunburst Yellow off to one side. Bestial Brown had LoS to Chainmail. I played it like so:

Technically Black and Chainmail 'moved' to face Sunburst, so Sunburst got an ARO (dodge vs. Matt Black's shots) and Bestial Brown got an ARO too (shoot Chainmail).
Black declared his second move to shoot Sunburst, as did BB.
I rolled a face-to-face between Black's BS and Sunburst's PH.
I rolled a normal roll for Chainmail to shoot Sunburst unopposed.
I rolled another unopposed roll for Bestial to shoot Sunburst.

Regarding cover/camo:
- Do the Discover/BS penalties apply all the time, or only when coming out of camo for a shot/etc. ? For example using TO Camo behind partial cover would provide a -9 BS roll penalty all the time?
- If I have a miniature in B2B with barricade-style piece of cover, can enemies still call out AROs (i.e. is my miniature able to scurry past, or does it get up and walk?)
- If a miniature goes prone behind a barricade as a dodge-ARO, is it considered totally obscured (and would reappear potentially when moving, definitely to its target when firing)

Some more small ARO questions:
- If I turn away from an enemy to shoot a second one (putting the first out of my LoS) can I still decide to respond to the first's ARO, or would it be uncontested?
- If I get caught in the open, get fired upon via ARO and then spend another order to get to cover, are my enemies permitted to perform another ARO immediately (until I'm out of LoS/ZoC)
- If I choose to not move a soldier, does this mean he can shoot with impunity? Or is there an assumed movement-to-trigger-ARO (like a fictional pivot?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Regarding cover/camo:
- using TO Camo behind partial cover would provide a -9 BS roll penalty all the time? yes
- If I have a miniature in B2B with barricade-style piece of cover, can enemies still call out AROs (i.e. is my miniature able to scurry past, or does it get up and walk?) Do you mean low partial cover? You can move along the barrier and still keep partial cover from that direction, but if you cross a point when you wouldn't have cover (like moving from one barrier to another), the enemy can and will declare ARO at the point when you were out of cover.
- If a miniature goes prone behind a barricade as a dodge-ARO, is it considered totally obscured (and would reappear potentially when moving, definitely to its target when firing) It becomes the size of its base and will get total cover (which also means no LOF to the enemy, if you want to shoot you gotta stand up)

Some more small ARO questions:
- If I turn away from an enemy to shoot a second one (putting the first out of my LoS) can I still decide to respond to the first's ARO, or would it be uncontested? Yes, for example if you have enemy A and B on opposite sides of your mini, you can turn to face B with your first skill, both get AROs, then you can declare a Shoot skill against either A or B (because you can decide at which point in your turn you shoot, so either first and shoot at A, or after changing facing and shoot at B. It's either/or because you probably wouldn't have LOF to both of them)
- If I get caught in the open, get fired upon via ARO and then spend another order to get to cover, are my enemies permitted to perform another ARO immediately (until I'm out of LoS/ZoC) Yes, if you start your turn out of cover and within LOF of the enemy, they can and will declare ARO while you're still out of cover.
- If I choose to not move a soldier, does this mean he can shoot with impunity? Or is there an assumed movement-to-trigger-ARO (like a fictional pivot? No, you can e.g. do only one skill, Shoot - but the enemy will get ARO to the shooting.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks bud, appreciated. I'm going to try with a few more models tomorrow (today was 3v3) to get to grips with some of the other rules.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tentacle Party posted:

Yup, and if you aint in the Australian FB group, GET ON IT!
Yeah, it's about time I do that myself. I don't suppose any Ausgoons are in Perth to teach me how to be less bad at Infinity? I'll be moving there in a month and a half.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I can help in that aspect!

Basically:

Step 1) Move to Melbourne, it's where all the best Aussie Infinity players are.

There is no step 2.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Hive I think Perth has a pretty sizeable warmachine population if I am not mistaken but go here http://www.wargamerau.com/index.php to find out about your best local lgs player group etc. Most events will get posted on wargamer as well.

War Foot do you play out at La Trobe? most of my group plays together at a house or hangs out at Games Lab in the city since, most of the other LGS shutdown or don't have enough playing space. Virtually everyone in my group just picked it up again or just started playing. They also addicted to the Xwing game and warmachine which doesn't help. I am so glad Malifaux hasn't gotten picked up again my wallet can only take so much.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 1, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well, I do like cold weather... Perth is just a 6-month stint to do my IT/Networking course so I can move back out to the sticks. Being less poo poo at the game when I come back helps :)

Speaking of, I'm going to try out a 300pt game tonight with my MO (we've kinda decided that MO can't really operate at 150pts. I lose 2 models and I'm in full retreat) so here's what I was thinking of rolling with this:

MILITARY ORDERS
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10 0 5

KNIGHT OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE Lieutenant Combi Rifle, D.E.P. / Pistol, EXP CCW. (52)
ORDER SERGEANT MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 27)
ORDER SERGEANT Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (13)
ORDER SERGEANT Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 20)
ÍNDIGO (WIP15, Doctor, CH: Mimetism) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (13 | 11XP)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Missile Launcher / Pistol, AP CCW. (1.5 | 49)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Panzerfaust, Light Shotgun / Pistol, DA CCW. (31)
MAGISTER KNIGHT Panzerfaust / Pistol, EXP CCW. (29)

4 SWC | 292 Points

Open with Army 4

Any critiques? I'm pretty limited on models that I own and even then I'll be proxying the spitfire OS and the Indigo.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Hoboskins posted:

War Foot do you play out at La Trobe? most of my group plays together at a house or hangs out at Games Lab in the city since, most of the other LGS shutdown or don't have enough playing space. Virtually everyone in my group just picked it up again or just started playing. They also addicted to the Xwing game and warmachine which doesn't help. I am so glad Malifaux hasn't gotten picked up again my wallet can only take so much.

I used to play out of La Trobe, now I run Infinity at Mind Games in the Melbourne CBD and the Total Reaction tournament, when I'm not finding time to lose to Damien Stallard's Haqqislam.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

I didn't think Games Lab did any 'proper' terrain needing mini games, just stuff like X Wing.

Anyways, Games Lab is close enough to Mind Games that you should totally pop down for some games. They've got a decent table full of terrain and War Foots helpful with rules queries when he's not getting inundated by customers.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Signal posted:

Does anyone know the dimensions for the new silhouette markers that came with Operation Icestorm?

Anyone with O:I able to help with this?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh, and a final question after a night's sleep: My battle quickly devolved into pot-shots from behind cover; with ranges such as they are, the advantages of cover and the abilities to react to movement - what stops a battle ending up as pot-shots across no mans land? I would guess: smoke grenades, inflitration, air drops, more cover, etc. - is that about right?

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Are you playing with objectives? That usually forces players to move out and make the game more interesting.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Southern Heel posted:

Oh, and a final question after a night's sleep: My battle quickly devolved into pot-shots from behind cover; with ranges such as they are, the advantages of cover and the abilities to react to movement - what stops a battle ending up as pot-shots across no mans land? I would guess: smoke grenades, inflitration, air drops, more cover, etc. - is that about right?

All the stuff you said, plus camo and/or tables that don't have a big no mans land. Or ITS/objective games.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Hortism posted:

I didn't think Games Lab did any 'proper' terrain needing mini games, just stuff like X Wing.

Anyways, Games Lab is close enough to Mind Games that you should totally pop down for some games. They've got a decent table full of terrain and War Foots helpful with rules queries when he's not getting inundated by customers.

oh he works at Mind Games? then I probably know him since I buy stuff from there from time to time. Yeah Games Lab has a game night (Thursday) for Warmachine and a local PG seems to operate from there (I have never met him since I rarely go there to play myself). But like most LGSs they make their trade with CCGs in particular Magic the Gathering. They have a weekly tournament with a stupidly big prize pool, I think its in the area of 500$? And they make a heap of money off it every drat week (so I am told). I think last time I was in at Mind Games the guy at the counter (War Foots?) mentioned it was Friday nights?

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

oh he works at Mind Games? then I probably know him since I buy stuff from there from time to time. Yeah Games Lab has a game night (Thursday) for Warmachine and a local PG seems to operate from there (I have never met him since I rarely go there to play myself). But like most LGSs they make their trade with CCGs in particular Magic the Gathering. They have a weekly tournament with a stupidly big prize pool, I think its in the area of 500$? And they make a heap of money off it every drat week (so I am told). I think last time I was in at Mind Games the guy at the counter (War Foots?) mentioned it was Friday nights?

Yeah, I still stop buy Games Lab to buy stuff but don't really hang out there as much as in my Magic playing days.

And yeah, War Foot works at Mind Games and is at least partially responsible for the bringing back games nights. Which owns, because I couldn't find games around the CBD before that. I think it's open for games over the weekend, but I'm usually there on Friday nights after work.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

All the stuff you said, plus camo and/or tables that don't have a big no mans land. Or ITS/objective games.

Hortism posted:

Are you playing with objectives? That usually forces players to move out and make the game more interesting.

Nope, no objectives. I will try this again. I understand camo tokens and camo/hidden deployment would make alot of sense; playing against myself it's alot to hold in my head at the same time, especially with a new ruleset so completely alien as Infinity. Am I correct in the assumption by ITS you mean the scenarioes here:http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/downloads/its/%5Ben%5DScenarios%202014.pdf ?

After some investigation it looks like Operation IceStorm may be be the best bet considering the scenery, dice and two starter sets: both look awesome and the savings will allay my shyness of doling out for both-sides of a game somewhat.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Operation: Icestorm would be just about perfect for a new player, though being locked into either of the two factions probably spoils it a bit for some.

And yup that's the ITS referred to. Usually building a ITS list is different then normal list building in that you have to bring a few specialists (doctors, hackers, forward observers and engineers) to complete the objectives.

But it may be worth while to just ignore that and just have anyone be able to activate whatever. Or you can try one of the simpler missions like Frontline or Quandrant Control that don't require any specialists, but still force the player to advance and take risks rather than just staying in your deployment zone and plink away at each other.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'm hoping that Specialists change in N3, as all things being equal, Forward Observers and CoC are head and shoulders above the others.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

You'd get rid of a lot of specialist options if you remove FOs.
Though I can understand the overuse of them since they tend to have infiltration/camo most of the time.
I guess it would be a decent trade off if LTs were specialists again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hmm, remove FO/Paramedics/Doctors as specs, bring back spec for LT with max "2 W and no NWI/regen/automed" and the game will change quite a bit:
- no more slapping 2 points onto an infiltrating camo (repeat twice or more) for a cheap spec
- specs are actually expensive or have limited infiltration option (engineers)
- less likely that the first player will just click everything on their turn
- you have to spend orders to get your specs to the farther consoles
- the option of striking enemy specs becomes more viable because there's fewer of them
- the "max 2 W" limit is to remove TAG / Achilles LT from the equation (which were so powerful they eclipsed all other options and led to axing the LT spec altogether)

...I like it. I might play a few ITS games with these rules and see what comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

It seems like you could pretty easily switch out the operation icestorm models to suit your faction. I would be surprised if there isn't a list of suggested alternatives.

• Locked thread