Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Who needs inspections?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Despite a flat front right, the driver arrived, unlocked (the padlock) and drove off. Database lists the plates as stolen from a Volvo. Typical day in my town.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw the first car I've ever wanted to U-turn and take pictures of (but I couldn't). It was a Festiva with what looked like a polka dot paint job, but as I got closer, I realized they were actually a bunch of ICP hatchet men.

It headed into my neighborhood, and I plan on finding it again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Captain Trips posted:

Who needs inspections?

Don't ya just hate it when you suddenly realise the model of car you drive has been mostly relegated to barely maintained beater status?

It happened with my Integra and damned if it isn't happening with my V35 Skyline.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

dissss posted:

Don't ya just hate it when you suddenly realise the model of car you drive has been mostly relegated to barely maintained beater status?

It happened with my Integra and damned if it isn't happening with my V35 Skyline.

When I was car shopping a few years ago I was looking at G35 coupes and every single one listed on Autotrader or Craigslist had a salvage title. Every single one.

This has caused me to come to the conclusion that the only people who buy G35s are the kind of JDM-boner shitlords who call their car a Skyline and promptly wreck it trying to Wangan Midnight it up.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

When I was car shopping a few years ago I was looking at G35 coupes and every single one listed on Autotrader or Craigslist had a salvage title. Every single one.

This has caused me to come to the conclusion that the only people who buy G35s are the kind of JDM-boner shitlords who call their car a Skyline and promptly wreck it trying to Wangan Midnight it up.

More like they were leased by older people, then came off lease cheaper than a 350/370, on top of being somewhat fancy. It put them smack dab in the price range of early 20s guys who have nothing better to do than doriftuuuu them or donk them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Terrible Car poo poo: Rental Car Edition

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Terrible Car poo poo: Rental Car Edition

Wow. That looks like nothing so much as a piece of chewed bubblegum.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Boat posted:

Wow. That looks like nothing so much as a piece of chewed bubblegum.

The Mocha Latte gloss paint looked awful, and the interior colors weren't much better.

Fiat/Chrysler also chose to do some sort of goofy two-tone interior that made the steering wheel look like it had a cheap vinyl cover around it:

I couldn't for the life of me locate a dimmer for the dash lights which was pretty frustrating, and a lot of the other interior pieces felt very cheap.

For example: It uses the same behind-the-steering-wheel pads/buttons to control the radio as the Jeep Wrangler I had been driving all week (also a rental), and the HVAC knobs were so loose that they felt like they might fall off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Apparently there was once a NASCAR version of Raybestos service-grade (i.e. cheapest poo poo possible) brake pads (and in fact the original part # has been covered up with a sticker referencing the normal Raybestos part # - original is NAR956C, new one is SGD956C). Even came with a sweet NASCAR Performance sticker!

They were listed as Wholesaler Closeout on Rockauto for a whopping $6.95. :shrug: And of course, no shims, no wear indicator, and no NASCAR logo etched into the backing plate. I'm actually wondering if these are even right - I got 4 identical pads, I'm used to slightly different inner and outer pads. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

:ssh: it's terrible because NASCAR put their logo on the worst version of a name brand part

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 31, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Appropriate. NASCAR is the worst form of motorsport.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Canadian Tire has a whole line of Nascar branded car parts. Nascar Advantage, but it's really just MOOG parts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crustashio posted:

Canadian Tire has a whole line of Nascar branded car parts. Nascar Advantage, but it's really just MOOG parts.
Moog should do a Mighty Car Mods line of, well, Moog components.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

dissss posted:

Remember the days when you saw a Skyline and didn't instantly burst out laughing? Every one I see is slammed to hell now with a comically large exhaust and a home spray can paint job.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Snapped this today in Seattle. Ride the Ducks truck just rolled right over the poor Civic.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
There are DUKW's elsewhere besides the Wisconsin Dells?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

G-Mach posted:

There are also DUKW's in Boston

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Soarer posted:

Snapped this today in Seattle. Ride the Ducks truck just rolled right over the poor Civic.

Every time I see one of those drat things in traffic I imagine exactly this. Except with me on my motorcycle.

*shudder*

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

G-Mach posted:

Stone Mountain Park, outside out Atlanta.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
You can find DUKWs basically anywhere tourists like that has a river these days. There was one in liverpool called The Yellow Duckmarine.

It sank.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 1, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

There is precisely zero damage to the DUKW, like the paint isn't even scratched.

gently caress getting hit by that thing.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

On the flipside, one of those got hit by a giant boat in Philly and two people died!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

G-Mach posted:

Lots of them in DC. 'Dippy Duck driver' was my go-to answer when girls in DC bars asked me what I did.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soarer posted:

Huh. Looks like a Del Sol.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They were built to land on the beaches at Normandy, they aren't exactly delicate on the front.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can anyone explain to me what ride the ducks is?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Slavvy posted:

Tourists clamber into amphibious milsurp vehicles and get shown the town and the water front.

It's all harmless and boring stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_tour

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Slavvy posted:

Just going by what I can see, I imagine a sightseeing tour where it goes into the water for part of the route?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Then there is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ1e-4lzbkk

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/us/08boat.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They have them in Dublin as well. You're not supposed to get on drunk at 10am but about half the passengers are.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MetaJew posted:

The Mocha Latte gloss paint looked awful, and the interior colors weren't much better.

Fiat/Chrysler also chose to do some sort of goofy two-tone interior that made the steering wheel look like it had a cheap vinyl cover around it:

I couldn't for the life of me locate a dimmer for the dash lights which was pretty frustrating, and a lot of the other interior pieces felt very cheap.

For example: It uses the same behind-the-steering-wheel pads/buttons to control the radio as the Jeep Wrangler I had been driving all week (also a rental), and the HVAC knobs were so loose that they felt like they might fall off.

I had to drive one of these pieces of poo poo.

The dimmer controls are right where they should be; buried in a menu, that you select by pushing the MENU key by the hazards

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fiat basically does one thing right: Affordable small cars that are fun to chuck around like a mad Italian, always bouncing off the rev limiter.

Every single time they try to move into building larger cars, the results are poo poo. The Multipla was basically the only exception, and it still failed because of how frightfully ugly it was.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

As a multipla owner I concur with that post, they are astonishingly practical cars and surprisingly little has fallen off mine or broken, but they are far uglier them a PT cruiser.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

You're not supposed to get on drunk at 10am but about half the passengers are.
:raise:

KozmoNaut posted:

Fiat basically does one thing right: Affordable small cars that are fun to chuck around like a mad Italian, always bouncing off the rev limiter.
If you aren't driving a Fiat hatchback like a Rome teenager late for a hot date, you don't really "get" small Italian cars.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Speak of the devil, spotted this on an Abarth 500

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

:raise:

If you aren't driving a Fiat hatchback like a Rome teenager late for a hot date, you don't really "get" small Italian cars.

I made my wife squeal drifting the multipla through Devon country roads. To be honest I was nearly squealing myself, it's a top heavy pig.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I made my wife squeal drifting the multipla through Devon country roads. To be honest I was nearly squealing myself, it's a top heavy pig.
Driving inappropriate cars quickly is hilarious. You can make drat near anything go significantly faster than the average UK driver's pace (including the hot-hatch yoofs) with sufficient commitment. Cheap tyres squealing at the slightest hint of a corner, and the brake pads doing their best to remind you that, really, this relationship is something we all need to work on, don't you think?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I maintain the Kia Sedona 3.5/3.8 is an absolute weapon in the right hands. I raced and won against an RX8 in one, once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've posted this picture before, but it seemed appropriate to the current conversation.