Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurtofan posted:

The Great Lakes navy.

We have met the enemy and they are ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kamrat posted:

I was thinking the same thing, got to defend against those dangerous Canadians.

Well, yes. Them and the British invading. Wondet if I can find any of the defense plan maps against that.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

The Great Lakes navy.

I imagine that Ohio's navy is more intended to protect Toledo from Michigan revanchism.

e: And Illinois' is meant to protect the spread of Asian carp through the Lakes :argh:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I thought all states had national guard units?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spazzle posted:

I thought all states had national guard units?

These are State guards, they're units that can't be mobilized by the President.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The wiki on state guards is fun.

quote:

By the late 1980s, however, a series of high-profile reports caused several states to shut-down or significantly restructure their forces. In 1987, Utah disbanded their force after a probe revealed all but 31 of its personnel were "neo-Nazis, felons, and mental patients."[13] Meanwhile, in 1990, the Virginia General Assembly launched an investigation and subsequent overhaul of its state's force after receiving tips that the volunteers were "saving money to buy a tank."[14]

Illionis Naval Militia posted:

By the 1970s, the Illinois Naval Militia had become little more than a social club located on the Chicago waterfront. When the city annexed the property, the militia effectively ceased to exist, but was not formally dissolved until 1988.[7] However, on January 19, 2006, it was reauthorized, though never re-established, by an executive order of Governor Rod Blagojevich.[8] Senate Republicans disputed the governor's authority to resurrect the militia.[7]

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 31, 2014

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

computer parts posted:

These are State guards, they're units that can't be mobilized by the President.
Jesus, how many armies do you need down there?

It's like the endgame of Risk where every turn there's enough new plastic dudes to conquer Asia.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's like the endgame of Risk where every turn there's enough new plastic dudes to conquer Asia.
We need all we can get on that northern border and great lakes. We're watching you guys.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Police per 100,000 population across Canada.

Legend

Violent crime rates across Canada

Legend

Language in Canada

Unemployment rates in Canada

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kamrat posted:

Police per 100,000 population across Canada.

Legend

Violent crime rates across Canada

Legend

Language in Canada

Unemployment rates in Canada

Weird PEI has a higher unemployment rate but looks to be lowest violent crime rate. I guess it's frowned violence is frowned upon when you're probably related to every Tom, Dick and Harry on the island.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't know about the others, but in the case of Indiana, its Legion (now Guard Reserve) predates Indiana being a state. More of a territorial army that was never totally dispersed.

edit: On Wikipeida it sounds like a lot of these are basically "does national guard stuff when the national guard is overseas" which is basically parades and natural disaster evacuations.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 31, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

I don't know about the others, but in the case of Indiana, its Legion (now Guard Reserve) predates Indiana being a state. More of a territorial army that was never totally dispersed.

edit: On Wikipeida it sounds like a lot of these are basically "does national guard stuff when the national guard is overseas" which is basically parades and natural disaster evacuations.

I know some of the crazy secessionist tea partiers believe that if they vote hard enough for secession the state militia will have to fight for it or something. At least I heard a guy yelling that in a video once.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Most of the State Navies are more like State Coast Guard, typically providing extra rescue personnel during busy boating seasons.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Frostwerks posted:

Weird PEI has a higher unemployment rate but looks to be lowest violent crime rate. I guess it's frowned violence is frowned upon when you're probably related to every Tom, Dick and Harry on the island.

Yeah, you're right, that's weird. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Of course, there's not necessarily a 1:1 relationship between unemployment and crime.

What surprises me is the relatively low crime rate in Ontario, I thought that was where half their major cities were.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Phlegmish posted:

Of course, there's not necessarily a 1:1 relationship between unemployment and crime.
Yes of course, but there's usually a small bump in crimes when unemployment is up.

Phlegmish posted:

What surprises me is the relatively low crime rate in Ontario, I thought that was where half their major cities were.
There almost seems to be a direct correlation between low population density and violent crime, might be because people think they can get away with it more or something? Or maybe alcoholism?

Population Density:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its probably just the fact that with a low population per capita rates swing wildly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it probably has to do with alcohol-related offenses among the indigenous community in Northern Canada, but other than that your guess is as good as mine.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I think it probably has to do with alcohol-related offenses among the indigenous community in Northern Canada, but other than that your guess is as good as mine.

And just the natives in general. Tons of pretty extreme poverty and very poor education, which are then correlated with drugs/alcohol and violence. It is a bit odd to see it outside of an urban setting though.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Rumda posted:

Its probably just the fact that with a low population per capita rates swing wildly.

Yeah I think it's partly/mostly this. The low population provinces are so low that there's the potential for extremely high variance and so big numbers. For murders there were 166 in Ontario last year, for a murder rate of ~1 per 100,000. Nunavut had 4, which still gives it a rate of ~12 per 100,000. There are likely higher reporting rates in small towns as well.

Of note is that to be placed in the highest category Nunavut (for instance) would need >~2,000 violent crimes. Ontario can have over 100,000 violent crimes and still be in the lowest category. I'm sure that there's issues of unequal enforcement and First Nation politics and other issues involved as well.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Peanut President posted:

They're basically the state's little army reserve, taking over for the National Guard when they're deployed or providing additional manpower when necessary for things like security at the Olympics or whatever. Many state guards are organized as "cadre forces", with most members being retired National Guard guys who would command a hypothetical army of draftees if something happened where the state decided it needs to draft a bunch of people into its armed forces. In practical terms it's a clubhouse for old retired Guardsmen and for weirdos who couldn't get into the federal military or wouldn't for ideological reasons.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
So this is why the sun isn't directly overhead at exactly 1200.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I grew up in a town where solar noon was only a few seconds off of time zone noon.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is there any border on earth (excepting ones involving the international date line) with a bigger time skip than the one between Afghanistan and China?

Disregarding the fact that nobody in Western China actually uses official time, of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hedera Helix posted:

This isn't exactly a shock, in fact it's a conscious design decision of the modern time system.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I grew up in a town where solar noon was only a few seconds off of time zone noon.

A few seconds? How much further east or west would you have to walk to get solar and time zone synchrocity?

EDIT:
I'm pretty really wrong with my calculations, but if the Earth has a circumference of 40075km* and there 86400 seconds in a day, then shift solar noon by a second, you'd have to walk roughly 450m.

*I assume this is at hte equator though

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
For some reason time zones that are an half hour off seems weird to me.

Also, why is Russia so off with their time zones, they even have a line where it goes from 4 to 6.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

So is there a reason why former USSR countries/time zones are so far behind solar time?

^^^efb

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Hedera Helix posted:

One of the reasons people in Spain eat dinner at 10 pm

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

:stare: It's the same time in Irkutsk and Tokyo. Kolkata is half an hour behind Yekaterinburg, despite east of Novosibirsk.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fragrag posted:

A few seconds? How much further east or west would you have to walk to get solar and time zone synchrocity?

EDIT:
I'm pretty really wrong with my calculations, but if the Earth has a circumference of 40075km* and there 86400 seconds in a day, then shift solar noon by a second, you'd have to walk roughly 450m.

*I assume this is at hte equator though

Well yesterday, if it hadn't been DST, solar noon would have occurred at 12:00:03 PM Eastern Time in my hometown - we were extremely close to the 75 degrees west meridian.

You can figure out the particular solar noon for any day of any year at any location with http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Nepal, Afghanistan, Newfoundland, some corner of Australia, and several south pacific islands use timezone offsets that aren't hourly, and add 30 or 45 minutes to the time of the neighboring timezone. To make it worse, some of these only apply this during daylight savings time, and for the rest of the year have a setup which aligns with the hours in the rest of the world.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Russia is going to be changing its time zones in October, and going to "permanent winter time". New map:

Note that the Crimean peninsula is shown as being part of Russia. The western edge is not drawn in, don't know why not.
Also, they're using a different colour for Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

AlexG posted:

Russia is going to be changing its time zones in October, and going to "permanent winter time". New map:

Note that the Crimean peninsula is shown as being part of Russia. The western edge is not drawn in, don't know why not.

Another politically loaded detail, Nagorno-Karabakh is marked as part of Armenia.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tree Goat posted:

Yeah I think it's partly/mostly this. The low population provinces are so low that there's the potential for extremely high variance and so big numbers. For murders there were 166 in Ontario last year, for a murder rate of ~1 per 100,000. Nunavut had 4, which still gives it a rate of ~12 per 100,000. There are likely higher reporting rates in small towns as well.

Of note is that to be placed in the highest category Nunavut (for instance) would need >~2,000 violent crimes. Ontario can have over 100,000 violent crimes and still be in the lowest category. I'm sure that there's issues of unequal enforcement and First Nation politics and other issues involved as well.

Yeah but PEI has the smallest population by far of provinces plus rather high unemployment as indicated yet doesn't seem to have the per capita skewed violence stats. I really do wanna know what's up with this and if I had to guess I'd lump it in with either everyone is related to everyone or because it's mostly homogeneous ethnically/linguistically/racially although both explanations probably are closer together than they are farther apart. I mean if Billy Bob Hoskins from lot 21 gets into a fistfight at the county fair with his brother and their lawman uncle breaks up the fight but declines to follow it up with charges because it's a spat between close kin, it seems a little of column A, little of column B.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Top selling car brands

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

AlexG posted:

I also like that Russia has each of its neighbors broken down by province, perhaps making it easier to fill in the colors later?

:getin:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

3peat posted:

Top selling car brands

Huh, it doesn't have Vatican City.

What kind of car is the Popemobile?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It used to be a modified ML class Mercedes, but the new Pope ditched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wiki:
While Pope Francis has retained the Mercedes popemobile for security reasons and for trips abroad, his reign has been characterised by simpler standards. As a cardinal, he often took public transport. He rode with the other cardinals in a minibus back to their hotel on the night of his election, instead of using a papal limousine. For trips within the Vatican City, Pope Francis uses a plain Ford Focus from the Vatican motor pool. He also drives himself around the city in a 1984 Renault 4 presented to him by a priest from northern Italy.

edit: Why is Montenegro a "?"