Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wait, that's done? It looks like the first couple of photos you see in a build log that turns into some incredible sci-fi hoverbike replica or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I picked it up for a grand.
The PO was such a nice guy... he went ahead and replaced the Reg/rec and stator for me the day I went to pick it up.

Unfortunately in the process he blew the PGM-FI module, all the lights in the dash, the tach has a FRIED resistor and possibly worse, and that's all I've dug up so far. Oh and btw that Stator might not be the right one so you might want to go ahead and replace that.

This project might take me a little longer than I expected, but if that motor really is what he says it is. It'll be worth it.
Hell, even if it isn't, so long as it's not blown, it'll be worth it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^That's a pretty good catch, nice job. Hope it isn't much more trouble.

Anyone else noticing way more project bikes popping up again? It's been dry all summer, but in the past couple days I've seen several CB350s, 70's 2-strokes and other vintage stuff, all with a title according to the seller.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
'a pretty good catch' is one way to describe it.

'A terrible buy' is another.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I dunno, seems like a pretty good deal once the electrical poo poo is sorted.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Why would you pay $1000 for a bike that was $1200 OBO when a bunch of electrics just blew?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ShaneB posted:

Why would you pay $1000 for a bike that was $1200 OBO when a bunch of electrics just blew?

Came with smokes lens and rocket gloves

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Because it's a $3,000 - $8,000 bike. Seriously, you could pick up the stuff you needed to fix that for $300 from a wrecker and have a brilliant bike.

I picked up my bike for $1600 and the water pump wasn't working, and it needed a new rear. $270 later I was sweet to go with a bike worth twice what I paid for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh god on what planet is a hosed up, likely poorly rebuilt vfr 800 with 43k miles worth even 3k?

The PO curse applies to internal engine parts too, it seems like they always install them with a generous helping of sand and upside down/backwards.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
And the bait just keeps coming. Inquiring, no response yet. Don't need it, this is just a bobber/cafe blocking maneuver.

1976 Yamaha XS 500 $500

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/4608013587.html

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nice. Buy it, do a carb job, and sell it for $800. Restrict the buyer age to 60.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Part that VFR out ASAP. They're worth for more in pieces, then go out and buy one not hosed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

n8r posted:

Part that VFR out ASAP. They're worth for more in pieces, then go out and buy one not hosed.

Seriously considering it, except I may not have the facilities to store another parts bike here soon.

There are some really nice condition ones waiting for me if I am willing to take a drive.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Oh god on what planet is a hosed up, likely poorly rebuilt vfr 800 with 43k miles worth even 3k?

The PO curse applies to internal engine parts too, it seems like they always install them with a generous helping of sand and upside down/backwards.

Australia. I hate this country sometimes.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4645661119.html

2004 Ducati Monster S4r for 4000$, i'd be all over it and it's super close, totally don't need it though :(

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
That VFR might be worth fixing if you can get a new dash for a good price if thats what it needs, not sure how much, looking at ebay, theres a dash for like 200$ and a pgm-fi unit should be 100-200$, stators are in the 100$ range, dash might be kind of a pain in the butt to replace but stators and the PGM fi unit should be fairly easy, depends if you plan on keeping the bike a while, it does have some really nice aftermarket parts on it.

My 99 VFR has almost 59k miles hasn't had a problem in the last 22k miles or so that i've owned it... they're great bikes.

Maybe i'm a bit wary, but kits/mods that increase bore kind of scare me from a reliability standpoint, as stout as the VFR engine is, i've never seen or even heard of an HRC bore kit for the vfr, are my assumptions misguided?

infraboy fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 1, 2014

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

infraboy posted:

Maybe i'm a bit wary, but kits/mods that increase bore kind of scare me from a reliability standpoint, as stout as the VFR engine is, i've never seen or even heard of an HRC bore kit for the vfr, are my assumptions misguided?

I know there were some kits floating around for 3rd and 4th gen VFRs, not sure about the 5th gen. Engine mods are a huge red flag for me, too hard to verify that the work has been done correctly or done at all, and when the PO says "that may not be the correct stator" there might be a problem with his workmanship.

VFR prices have dropped recently, they are now excellent values. I just bought a 4th gen with 29k miles, new tires, a 929 rear shock, Racetech springs, CF hugger, Corbin seat, Genmar bar risers (all mods I would have purchased anyway), for $2500. Plastics are 9/10. Even at that price I feel like I overpaid a little, but bike choices in this area are limited unless you like Harley baggers. Normally I have to drive to Minneapolis to find anything interesting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

infraboy posted:

That VFR might be worth fixing if you can get a new dash for a good price if thats what it needs, not sure how much, looking at ebay, theres a dash for like 200$ and a pgm-fi unit should be 100-200$, stators are in the 100$ range, dash might be kind of a pain in the butt to replace but stators and the PGM fi unit should be fairly easy, depends if you plan on keeping the bike a while, it does have some really nice aftermarket parts on it.

My 99 VFR has almost 59k miles hasn't had a problem in the last 22k miles or so that i've owned it... they're great bikes.

I'm going to try and fix the dash. It looks like just a couple resistors got fried along with all the light bulbs. I have the capacity (no pun) to rectify (again no pun) that issue.

I swapped the pgmfi from my 99 vfr and it looks like the fuel pump doesn't kick on. The fuse is fine, so who knows what it could be. I'm going to spend this week digging into the electricals and hopefully get it sorted out.
As long as it's not a botched motor build I shouldn't have a problem.

I've got a $200 pgmfi in my ebay cart. Hopefully noone else buys it before payday.

I already have spare Reg/rec and stators lying around from owning previous VFRs. It's kind of a thing they require; like most other bikes need oil changes.

Gorson posted:

I know there were some kits floating around for 3rd and 4th gen VFRs, not sure about the 5th gen. Engine mods are a huge red flag for me, too hard to verify that the work has been done correctly or done at all, and when the PO says "that may not be the correct stator" there might be a problem with his workmanship.

VFR prices have dropped recently, they are now excellent values. I just bought a 4th gen with 29k miles, new tires, a 929 rear shock, Racetech springs, CF hugger, Corbin seat, Genmar bar risers (all mods I would have purchased anyway), for $2500. Plastics are 9/10. Even at that price I feel like I overpaid a little, but bike choices in this area are limited unless you like Harley baggers. Normally I have to drive to Minneapolis to find anything interesting.

I don't trust the PO's work but it seems like if the work was done, it wasn't done by him (per his story). So there may be hope there.
If nothing else, I kinda want to get this thing up and running just to find out if it is, in fact, what he says it is.

The forks are confirmed re-sprung, and the rear shock appears to be off of a 954, so this may actually be a thing,

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

" $600.00 lowest i can go1974 gt 750 needs some work has all papers. Has new battery and runs have extra tank, carbs, original air box, and rims. Sell or trade needs tires, right outer case gasket, water pump gasket, and blinkers fixed they turn on but dont blink, also the bike runs but revs out. $600.00 or trades."

Someone loving buy this. Ad posted in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518motorsportssalesandtrades/?fref=nf

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Of course it's on the other side of the country.(Albany, NY)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4651864964.html

It's kinda hosed up, but it's so cheap... thoughts?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Save your coin and avoid - get a 2003+ model with fuel injection and gently caress carbs forever. I've seen them for 2k no problem.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wish I saw 2nd gens for that little here that weren't wrecked. I don't mind carbs if it's a screaming deal, but after taking another look... it seems a little too neglected, even for 1200. I guess I'll pass.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

M42 posted:

I wish I saw 2nd gens for that little here that weren't wrecked. I don't mind carbs if it's a screaming deal, but after taking another look... it seems a little too neglected, even for 1200. I guess I'll pass.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just a carbed SV that is wrecked. He said he replaced the front end and it has plenty of dents. It has a ton of issues, if it only had one or two it might be worth the effort to fix. With everything it's got going on not only would you have to waste a bunch of time/money fixing it, but there'd also always be the concern of what else is wrong with it if it's been neglected that badly.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this Transalp on ADVRider. From what I can tell the price is OK, and I've always had a soft spot for them. Learned my lesson on rare unicorn bikes with the Baja back in Japan, but I checked and apparently aside from the fairings you can still easily get parts for them. (CDI unit is a known weak point…) Plus, I checked with the seller and she rolled off the assembly line in November of '88, so if I wanted to, it'd be eligible for import to Australia when I move in Feb under the pre-89 exemption. I suspect it's not worth it (probably worth the same as in the US), but a neat option to have nonetheless.

Potential wrinkle (aside from the fly and ride, which would be fine, I've got friends/family in ATL I can stay with on the way down and all my gear has made it back from Japan now) is insurance; I've only got crappy catastrophic medical stuff, and if the bike policy won't pay out in the event of a single bike accident then I'd effectively be priced out of riding. I have mixed feelings as to whether it's worth it at all to ride in Florida, so I think I'll be OK with it either way. Gonna give Progressive a shout tomorrow afternoon when I get back from errands (getting bike endorsement put on my FL license, for one).

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

I'm browsing ads for a potential first motorcycle. Are there any red flags here? The miles seem higher than most CL ads.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4656854480.html

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this Transalp on ADVRider.

That looks like it's in good condition. Your model shares a lot of parts with my 93 and I can find new wear parts locally really easy(Norway) and tons of used or new other parts from Germany. Bike-teile.de is a good site if you need anything, e-bay like motorcycle parts listing. You also don't have the original corrosion prone gold rims too.

Ask if the water pump, oil pump, stator and regulator has been changed recently, as all 4 of those can wear out after a while, but not often. Another non regular maintainance item is the cam chain guide/tensioner, but it's not that hard to check wear on those yourself.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

This seemed a bit unique.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/4653076520.html

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mrlego posted:

I'm browsing ads for a potential first motorcycle. Are there any red flags here? The miles seem higher than most CL ads.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4656854480.html

I'd agree that's some high mileage, but the simple fact is it's a lower-compression engine with hydraulic lifters so they are pretty much bulletproof as all hell. That was my first bike and I personally think it was a great machine and would serve you well. Simple enough to easily wrench on it on yourself, quick enough to get out of it's own way and hold its own on the highway, and generic enough that you can leave it parked outside an apartment without having to worry about anything happening.

Go see if it starts up easily and idles well. Also, check to make sure that the fork seals are good and you got a nice machine that will only ever need oil, chains, sprockets and tires. Everything else will last until the apocalypse.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I recently recommended this model to another shopper. I don't think this would have achieved 66K if it were untrustworthy, and a grand for a titled runner isn't bad. Make sure it fires on all four, isn't running on maypops, etc.

Scroll back a bit or google "motorcyclist nighthawk smart money"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this Transalp on ADVRider.
Transalp is what KLR should have been. Great bike, get it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I'd like a Transalp someday. Same engine as my little Hawk :iamafag:

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Ripoff posted:

I'd agree that's some high mileage, but the simple fact is it's a lower-compression engine with hydraulic lifters so they are pretty much bulletproof as all hell. That was my first bike and I personally think it was a great machine and would serve you well. Simple enough to easily wrench on it on yourself, quick enough to get out of it's own way and hold its own on the highway, and generic enough that you can leave it parked outside an apartment without having to worry about anything happening.

Go see if it starts up easily and idles well. Also, check to make sure that the fork seals are good and you got a nice machine that will only ever need oil, chains, sprockets and tires. Everything else will last until the apocalypse.

Marv Hushman posted:

I recently recommended this model to another shopper. I don't think this would have achieved 66K if it were untrustworthy, and a grand for a titled runner isn't bad. Make sure it fires on all four, isn't running on maypops, etc.

Scroll back a bit or google "motorcyclist nighthawk smart money"

I read that "Nighthawk smart Money", thanks! It seems the Hondas really appeal to me. How loud would you rate engine noise of the Nighthawk compared to other bikes? I've read that Hondas tend to be a little quieter than similarly sized competitors.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this Transalp on ADVRider. From what I can tell the price is OK, and I've always had a soft spot for them. Learned my lesson on rare unicorn bikes with the Baja back in Japan, but I checked and apparently aside from the fairings you can still easily get parts for them. (CDI unit is a known weak point…) Plus, I checked with the seller and she rolled off the assembly line in November of '88, so if I wanted to, it'd be eligible for import to Australia when I move in Feb under the pre-89 exemption. I suspect it's not worth it (probably worth the same as in the US), but a neat option to have nonetheless.

Potential wrinkle (aside from the fly and ride, which would be fine, I've got friends/family in ATL I can stay with on the way down and all my gear has made it back from Japan now) is insurance; I've only got crappy catastrophic medical stuff, and if the bike policy won't pay out in the event of a single bike accident then I'd effectively be priced out of riding. I have mixed feelings as to whether it's worth it at all to ride in Florida, so I think I'll be OK with it either way. Gonna give Progressive a shout tomorrow afternoon when I get back from errands (getting bike endorsement put on my FL license, for one).

My MSF instructor was a Transalp rider and she swore by it. She was really pushing me towards getting one as my first bike.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
If I could afford/find a transalp it would be my #1 choice as a bike.

Buy it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mrlego posted:

I read that "Nighthawk smart Money", thanks! It seems the Hondas really appeal to me. How loud would you rate engine noise of the Nighthawk compared to other bikes? I've read that Hondas tend to be a little quieter than similarly sized competitors.

Mine could be equated to "a mouse farting in a church". Honestly the bike was dead silent and if you want the performance sound you'd probably be pretty disappointed with it. There are some simple modifications you can make to the stock exhaust that might wake it up if you are into that sort of thing, but trust me when I tell you that this isn't a performance bike by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're looking for something with a growl, you might like the SV650 or another 2-cylinder machine. The CB750 is anything but aggressive sounding.

Edit: Me can English good

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 9, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/mcy/4656688185.html

Oh god I have enough broken poo poo around here.

E: missed the second one.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 9, 2014

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Ripoff posted:

Mine could be equated to "a mouse farting in a church". Honestly the bike was dead silent and if you want the performance sound you'd probably be pretty disappointed with it. There are some simple modifications you can make to the stock exhaust that might wake it up if you are into that sort of thing, but trust me when I tell you that this isn't a performance bike by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're looking for something with a growl, you might like the SV650 or another 2-cylinder machine. The CB750 is anything but aggressive sounding.

Edit: Me can English good

Ah that is great! I was looking for a quiet bike to not disturb the neighbors when I arrive home from work at 2 am. This bike sounds perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

mrlego posted:

Ah that is great! I was looking for a quiet bike to not disturb the neighbors when I arrive home from work at 2 am. This bike sounds perfect!

Sounds like a well-oiled sewing machine. In your neighbor's house. Across the street. As mentioned above, you really have to go out of your way to make these loud, or (in my case) have a PO who tried to achieve "that Harley sound." If I had a buck for every UJM ad that listed this as a value proposition, I'd have a UJM.

Also, concern for your neighbors is a good thing. They have enough to deal with from the winged car crowd.