Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
You suck a$$hole*

*pending approval from the fa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdog
May 7, 2013

Strawman posted:

Yeah if they get the bookie thing started I will bet on 6-0 to Spurs. Liverpool have lost Suarez and we have Dier and players like Chadli and Lamela who are like having amazing new signings this year. If Spurs go three up it would be awesome for the Yid Army to sing something like, 'the biter left now you suck, the biter left now you suck'

Something tells me an american wrote this.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Strawman posted:

Yeah if they get the bookie thing started I will bet on 6-0 to Spurs. Liverpool have lost Suarez and we have Dier and players like Chadli and Lamela who are like having amazing new signings this year. If Spurs go three up it would be awesome for the Yid Army to sing something like, 'the biter left now you suck, the biter left now you suck'

genius, send this one to the capos straight away

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

idk if Di Maria has the looks to carry it off as a secretary

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Local residents can go gently caress themselves from me if you would rather an abandoned pub instead of a local reasonable price shop then go move to detroit gently caress off "say no to tesco" we need somewhere to get beer before games

*EDIT* Fan of the following club Pompey

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

BBC Sport:

quote:

Stu in Essex: As a United fan here's my thoughts on the defence. We've gone from Rio to Rojo, it's making me go Blind with worry, I'm trying to Blackett out. But I'm not Shaw I Evra can. We need someone to Phil the gaps, but hopefully every cloud has Da Silva lining, Evans knows how we'll cope, but hoping our worries are not getting larger but are now Small-ing.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Hello from New York City everyone. I enjoyed this article, its well written and unfortunately its all true. I wish the press and fans focused more on financial fair play and how well Arsenal have been able to do with Arab and Russian money being thrown around like there is literally no tomorrow. What an amazing stadium. No debt. Loyal fans all over the world. Modest players who you could invite to your parents dinner table and be proud to associate with. Im not sure how City or Chelsea fans can look in the mirror with the greedy owners and players that they are in bed with. Im proud to be a Gunner, and im fine if my fellow supporters complain a bit- that's what makes it worth watching every season, you never know whats going to happen.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Same

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I couldn't invite Jack Wilshire to my parents house because my parents don't allow smoking in their home.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
guaranteed to find some good arse meltdowns today :smith:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

not not luvd posted:

guaranteed to find some good arse meltdowns today :smith:

you're after Welbeck not Fletcher m8

; right thread

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wenger is a loving fool dosent pay 8.5mill 4 Remy and im seeing all this 18mill for gently caress welbeck im done with dis team im a chelsea fan now

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

potentially :nws:https://vine.co/v/OBUptl9Jq9Y:nws:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

how dare you, wrong loving thread.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

irlZaphod posted:

Wenger is a loving fool dosent pay 8.5mill 4 Remy and im seeing all this 18mill for gently caress welbeck im done with dis team im a chelsea fan now

He's right, though.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

wrong thread imo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

quote:

Dear Mario,
In this crazy world we live in, someone you've never heard of or will probably never meet, feels, as a Liverpool fan, that its ok to write to you on an internet page to say welcome. But here I am, and there you are, somewhere, preparing for the Spurs game today.

But I'm writing this with real meaning when I say welcome, because you are now at a club that is different, and a club where the fans genuinely care about their team. Now I'm quite sure every fan of any team would say that, but at Liverpool, you're not just a player, you a Liverpool player and that means you're part of our family. You are now one of us, and you are now family (you're welcome round for tea anytime mate).

Welcome to a bond with a set of fans that will not just sing your name, but look out for you, welcome to a ground where the feeling is different, a sense of history, family and warmth, of times shared and where the outside world and press are invited in but never truly part of it, welcome to a place, a sense of place, a culture that sets us apart from the rest of them.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm on the verge of crying, it's been 16 months since Fergie left and our identity is all but gone. What player can we point at now and say he's ours? What happened to investing in great young players brought up through the ranks? This is not the United I grew up to love with it's unique principles.
We didn't even need a striker FFS.
Edit: Just to explain how stinging this is as a United fan. It's no different to Arsenal selling Jack Wilshere to us, it's actually unthinkable, but it has actually happened in our case.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Dealdline day

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
He went on to claim that he was still technically right because of different seasons and years and something something Joey Barton is a twat

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Lol I just went on his twitter to check how he'd logic himself out of that one and his argument was that the January window was in the same "year" (calendar) as one summer window and in the same "year" (football season) as another one, and as a result, no matter which January window Fowler would lump in with the 2014 July window, Barton would claim it was in a different "year"

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

The Mash posted:

Lol I just went on his twitter to check how he'd logic himself out of that one and his argument was that the January window was in the same "year" (calendar) as one summer window and in the same "year" (football season) as another one, and as a result, no matter which January window Fowler would lump in with the 2014 July window, Barton would claim it was in a different "year"

Might as well have gone with "well, I meant per year on Mercury, obviously" for his defense if he's going to not make any sense.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
From F365's afternoon mailbox

quote:

For fellow Arsenal fans, I give you the chant to soon to be heard echoing round the Emirates once Welbeck starts knocking in the goals.

To the tune of Tubthumping:

'Oh, Danny boy, Danny boy, Danny boyyyyyy.
'We've got Welbeck, he's gonna score again,
You're never gonna keep him down,
We've got Welbeck, he's gonna score again,
He's always gonna turn Spurs down.'

You're welcome,

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

Hahaha.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
a more appropriate song for a sky sports reporter would be Oh Fanny Toy in this posters opinion

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Russ posted:

a more appropriate song for a sky sports reporter would be Oh Fanny Toy in this posters opinion

front page stuff

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I play football with this person sometimes and he unfailingly comes in full Arsenal kit so I was surprised to see this today

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Olewithmilk posted:

I play football with this person sometimes and he unfailingly comes in full Arsenal kit so I was surprised to see this today

That's kosher, though.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
He said Arsenal, not Spurs.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

quote:

Last year, in these pages, the author introduced a metric called Style Points designed to estimate roughly, on a scale of 0 to 10, the aesthetic appeal of each club currently playing in Europe’s five major leagues — a figure which, when combined with a prospective opponent’s Style Point rating, also yielded a match rating capable of serving as a sort of barometer for the capacity of any game to facilitate capital-P Pleasure.

The purpose of this post is to announce for the benefit of this site’s ones, or maybe even tens, of readers that I’ll be producing these Style Point club and match ratings regularly during this year’s football season. What else it’s to announce is that I’ve altered slightly the calculation of Style Points.

Regarding that latter announcement: the two inputs for the original version of Style Points were average short passes per match (per Who Scored) and also estimated roster value (per Transfer Markt). The first number serves as an able proxy, it seems, for aesthetically appealing play. The second one I utilized as a proxy for a club’s fiscal resources — the rationale being that, between two clubs with similarly appealing play, the one which has cost less is more virtuous.

For the most recent iteration of Style Points, I’ve retained the first two variables and added a third — in this case, average shots in the box per match (also available at Who Scored). Shots in the box correlate rather directly with goals and, for those clubs that are able to record more rather than fewer of them, it’s an indication that the short passes they’re compiling are completed in the service of shots with higher expected goal-scoring value.

To calculate Style Points, what I’ve done — after compiling data for shots in the box per match, short passes per match, and estimated market value for every club — what I’ve then done is to calculate the z-score (that is, standard deviations from the mean) of those three variables for each club relative to that club’s respective league, multiplying the last figure by -1 to denote how greater club value is actually a detriment. Following that, I’ve multiplied all three restuls by 0.5. I’ve then added the z-scores together, multiplied the result by five, and then added five — in order to distribute all the resulting figures over an approximate scale of 0 to 10 for each league.

The complete results for the very young season are available via spreadsheet.

Below are the top-10 clubs by Style Points. (Note: BOXz denotes the z-score for shots in the box per game; SHORTz, the z-score for short passes per game; and CASHz, the z-score for estimate market value.)

And the bottom 10:

Some notes of varying import:

At this point, because no European league has played as many even as five games, it’s very possible that what one finds here is influenced quite heavily by a certain favorable (or perhaps unfavorable) single matchup.
That said, Celta Vigo oughtn’t be entirely dismissed for having produced more shots in the box relative to their league (10.5 per game) than every club in Europe’s five major leagues so far but Marseille. To get a sense both of (a) the degree to which taking shots in the box relates to goal-scoring and also (b) how quickly it actually might become reliable, note the clubs ranked third through fifth already by this measure: Roma, Juventus, Barcelona.
Empoli exhibited a distinct (and somewhat effective, in terms of shots taken) commitment to a ball control game in their season debut — this, despite carrying a roster worth approximately one-tenth of Juventus‘s and rated 19th out of 20 in the Serie A by that measure

There you have it - Fiorentina and Atletico Madrid are officially more boring than Chievo

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nobody explain what CASHz means it's better this way.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

There you have it - Fiorentina and Atletico Madrid are officially more boring than Chievo

Jesus wept

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

quote:

They are "chock full" of players who would be on an MLS bench. Phil Jones? Their center back pairing is less than ours. I'd take Besler over any of there center backs. Steven Gerrard couldn't play at Mike Bradley's level ever. Landon would be a starter for England. Landon didn't make the US team. p Joe Hart and Timmy are a toss up. Fabian Johnson is the best outside back on both teams. The list goes on. England really needs a player like Jermaine Jones. We have 5 midfielders equal to Jack Willshire. The US is a better team, and hence the results.

After a while, results matter. England does nothing.... ever. We got out of our group. England did not. They tied Costa (f'ing) Rica. Telling really; Costa Rica and England are equivalent teams. I am so tired of hearing that we are more athletic, or that we try harder, or that our coach is better. Right now, the US plays better soccer than England.

The EPL colors people's view. The EPL is a great league with many great players. Outside Rooney, and Joe Hart, the 3 Lions are not part of that group of great players.

quote:

Nobody thinks the US is some dominant team, that is on the verge of winning the WC. We are a team, on par or slightly better than Costa Rica for instance. Probably in the range of FIFA ranking 10 to 20. The US is pretty good; but not one of the elite teams. Just like England. And also, guys like Phil Jones would not be on the US roster. I know he plays at MANU, but he sucks. He would not get off the bench at most MLS squads. I am a big Arsenal fan, but Jack W. would not be an impact player for the US. Kyle Beckerman is better at what that type of player does. Yet there Jack is, playing for England. I think Super Jack makes the squad for the US, but doesn't make the field. Clint Dempsey is a better attacking player than any English option. So the line up is for a combined England/US team is mixed, and a combined US / England lineup would still get crushed by Germany or similar teams. England and the US are not as good as the great teams.

One of the differences between the US and England is the US is getting better. All the time. They have surpassed England, who is not improving. And who's fans post stuff like "that was a really good Costa Rica side". Of the the three teams I'd rank them (based on actual results):

1. US
2. Costa Rica
3. England.

With not much space between any of the standings. They are actually 3 teams that have similar talent and results. It seems like that idea is very difficult for 3 Lions fans to acknowledge. They feel like they should be ranked up with Germany and Belgium. But they are world's behind those teams. Those teams are great, but the US, Costa Rica, and England are not in that galaxy.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Agree with probably 69% of this.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I agree with 88%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000