Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I had a weird reaction to ME3, I didn't passionately hate it or anything (and I don't think the ending is jaw-droppingly bad), but it effectively killed my appetite for anything Mass Effect ever again. The idea of playing through it again (or picking up the DLC) makes me feel vaguely nauseous.

Yup, same here. Even if you completely discount the ending it's a step down from 2. There are all sorts of flaws, from the numerous turret sequences to neon ninja coolman to the very bad dream scenes and the odd pacing.

There are a few character moments that are good, but overall it felt like the series was sputtering to the finish line without any real sense of purpose rather than going out on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I had a weird reaction to ME3, I didn't passionately hate it or anything (and I don't think the ending is jaw-droppingly bad), but it effectively killed my appetite for anything Mass Effect ever again. The idea of playing through it again (or picking up the DLC) makes me feel vaguely nauseous.

Likewise. The ending at launch was lame (a little below Bioware average), and the redux ending was... well, about Bioware average. There were a lot of weird low points through the game, though - it felt patchy and inconsistent. Not a bad game by any means, but it really didn't hit the highs of ME2.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yup, same here. Even if you completely discount the ending it's a step down from 2. There are all sorts of flaws, from the numerous turret sequences to neon ninja coolman to the very bad dream scenes and the odd pacing.

There are a few character moments that are good, but overall it felt like the series was sputtering to the finish line without any real sense of purpose rather than going out on top.

Yeah, I'm with you too, I felt that the writing in general (not just the ending) was really disappointing. I know that the space ninja character was supposedly in the books but to me that still doesn't justify his existence in the game. And while I think the idea of the protagonist breaking down can be interesting, the way they did it with those poorly done dream sequences involving that dumb rear end kid (who even did the whole "YOU CAN'T HELP ME" when you tried to save him in the beginning) was just really lame.

At least the gameplay was really good. I must have put 70+ hours into the multiplayer alone so I didn't feel like I wasted my money in the end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For all the bad talk the ending gets, and the way the plot did kinda fall apart even before then, it was still great to be playing around in that game world. But after Citadel's ending I really did feel like I was good with never going back there again - it was a sweet tribute to the characters and the setting and left me feeling pretty good about the whole thing. If I never played a game in that setting again I wouldn't complain, because it ended on a pretty high note (if you played Citadel last).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Palpek posted:

Also ME3 owns if you're not a baby. It's on every level a proper sequel to 2 and with Citadel out it has a nice ending too.

Yes, it owns if you like Mary Sue ninjas who stole Shepard's cereal. The shooting's good but the whole game feels so rushed. It's the same thing as Dragon Age 2 really, can't understand why people try to defend their purchases so much.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Since the topic is in the Mass Effect series, what are the recommended DLCs for the three games?

For ME3 I guess the good* ones are the Leviathan, Citadel and From Ashes. For ME2 I guess Overlord, Kasumi and that mercenary dude. For ME1 I have no idea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HardDisk posted:

For ME3 I guess the good* ones are the Leviathan, Citadel and From Ashes. For ME2 I guess Overlord, Kasumi and that mercenary dude. For ME1 I have no idea.

Shadow Broker for ME2 is really good as well.

ME1 only has one DLC and it's easily skipped. I think the PC version has it by default though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ME1: Bring Down the Sky (free)
ME2: Cerberus network (included in new copy still iirc), Lair of the Shadow Broker (must have).
Kasumi is very solid and fun but imo always overpriced, Arrival was alright and would have been a decent setup for ME3...if they didn't actually pretty much ignore it due to rewrites of the intro segment.
ME3: Citadel (a fun sendoff to the trilogy). From Ashes is solid. Leviathan is ok. Omega can be skipped imo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

HardDisk posted:

Since the topic is in the Mass Effect series, what are the recommended DLCs for the three games?

Bring Down the Sky is free on PC, and it's pretty good, might as well play it.

Zaeed and Kasumi are both good characters, though I'd say Zaeed is more fun. You don't "need" either though, since both barely even show up in 3.

Overlord is pointless outside of being more ME2 content.

Normandy Crash Site is nice just for letting you say goodbye to ME1 properly, although it's probably not worth whatever price they ask for it.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is actually must play story content, because it plays heavily into ME3. Technically Arrival is also must play story content, because without it the opening to ME3 won't make any sense, but it's also godawful, and sets the stage for ME3 not being very good either, so you might want to skip it!

From Ashes is must have for story reasons. Extended Cut/Leviathan is needed if you aren't willing to do the alt-f4 ending ( quit right as a certain event happens to get a much better ending then what Bioware wrote. ). Omega is pointless and not very good. Citadel is apparently pretty good, but I never bothered with it, because I borrowed ME3 from a friend to play it, and it didn't impress me enough to actually go out and buy it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks! :)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Terminally Bored posted:

Yes, it owns if you like Mary Sue ninjas who stole Shepard's cereal. The shooting's good but the whole game feels so rushed. It's the same thing as Dragon Age 2 really, can't understand why people try to defend their purchases so much.

Because they enjoy the game? Mass Effect 2 was incredibly one note after you get Garrus and it was sure a lot of fun fighting the same mercs over and over and over again.

Mass Effect 3 drastically improved the combat and enemy variety along with having great set pieces and had some of the best character moments in the series. Favorite ME game by far.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Azran posted:

Since I put some cash on Steam, my lovely country is blocking my card's next transaction because using dollars twice in the same day is anti-patriotic or something.

Can anyone help me with the Jumbo bundle over at HB? Looking for the BTA. I'll buy you something equivalent on Steam.
Do you guys have any idea if it's a single key?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran/

I got you covered.

I'm already your steam friend 'huffadopolis', I'll send a message with the links now.

FYI it's one link per game, all steam activatable.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Normandy Crash Site is nice just for letting you say goodbye to ME1 properly, although it's probably not worth whatever price they ask for it.

Isn't that one free? I remember playing that and I sure didn't buy any ME2 DLC.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Peewi posted:

Isn't that one free? I remember playing that and I sure didn't buy any ME2 DLC.

Ya, I believe it comes with the Cerberus Network stuff.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Because they enjoy the game? Mass Effect 2 was incredibly one note after you get Garrus and it was sure a lot of fun fighting the same mercs over and over and over again.

Mass Effect 3 drastically improved the combat and enemy variety along with having great set pieces and had some of the best character moments in the series. Favorite ME game by far.

Which set pieces? The kid dying at the beginning? Writing in ME3 felt like really bad fan fiction, ME2 had a stupid plot but really strong characters as people mentioned here. But the multiplayer was good, as far as I've heard. But I guess it's dead nowadays.

ME3 trainwreck thread was awesome to read, just as fun as Sim City 2013 and Xbone ones.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The MP is actually still very active.

EDIT: \/ the downside to that is that no one would have the budget for ambitious games. RPGs in particular would be hit hard.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 1, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Oh, so they did something right. I remember playing ME3 after it came out and Shepard in his running animation looked like a monkey. They patched it shortly after that but geez, were they cutting corners on that game. They didn't even animate NPCs for most of the quests so you basically have to walk around and eavesdrop on conversations.

Loved ME1 and 2. Third one was butchered because they didn't have enough dev time and most of the Bioware talent was long gone by then. I really hope the AAA market will crash. Talented people will start their own studios and stupid executives will move to other areas or get sacked.

EDIT: Yeah, but the most interesting RPGs of the last few months have been kickstarted. Wasteland 2, Divinity, Consortium. Even if they weren't the most polished games ever, they did some interesting stuff. No wonder people are getting tired of publishers.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 1, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

mr. nobody posted:

I got you covered.

I'm already your steam friend 'huffadopolis', I'll send a message with the links now.

FYI it's one link per game, all steam activatable.

This goon is a True Gentleman (tm) and possibly very patriotic as well. :911:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

To be honest, the whole series felt way overhyped to me. Like i got behind the idea of this grand space opera where your decisions mattered but for the most part, they don't and the space opera isn't all that unique or interesting.

Hell, Star Ocean 4 (or was it 3?) had the similar concept of reaper like enemies but took it to levels of creativity/insanity at the end (By revealing that the entire universe was a virtual environment and that the reaper-like things were actually a program designed to wipe out AI that became too smart and endangered the continued existence of the universe. Then they escape into the real world and beat up the CEO of the company or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

To be honest, the whole series felt way overhyped to me. Like i got behind the idea of this grand space opera where your decisions mattered but for the most part, they don't and the space opera isn't all that unique or interesting.

Hell, Star Ocean 4 (or was it 3?) had the similar concept of reaper like enemies but took it to levels of creativity/insanity at the end (By revealing that the entire universe was a virtual environment and that the reaper-like things were actually a program designed to wipe out AI that became too smart and endangered the continued existence of the universe. Then they escape into the real world and beat up the CEO of the company or something.

That was Star Ocean 3. 4 was the prequel that went creepy as gently caress.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Good space opera writing depends on the ability to play with scale. So you have a huge army of space marines and space pilots, then they meet hostile aliens, they wage long war. But then a different alien horde appears, stronger than both previous armies. So an alliance is made and they heroically stop the strongest aliens. But then the fuckers return and collapse a sun creating a supernova and the whole star system is lost, etc.

This is the plot to Freespace. It's simple but every single mission made the odds seem bigger, behind each enemy there's another, even stronger. It's writing 101. Mass Effect followed the same formula in the first game, then moved to a more character-based plot and then went out like a wet fart in 3.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Terminally Bored posted:

Good space opera writing depends on the ability to play with scale. So you have a huge army of space marines and space pilots, then they meet hostile aliens, they wage long war. But then a different alien horde appears, stronger than both previous armies. So an alliance is made and they heroically stop the strongest aliens. But then the fuckers return and collapse a sun creating a supernova and the whole star system is lost, etc.

This is the plot to Freespace. It's simple but every single mission made the odds seem bigger, behind each enemy there's another, even stronger. It's writing 101. Mass Effect followed the same formula in the first game, then moved to a more character-based plot and then went out like a wet fart in 3.

Star Ocean 3 did this a little bit too. For most of the first part of the game your ship has crashed on this backwater medieval like planet where you have to deal with swords and magic and whatever the gently caress. I've forgotten what happens right after, but you eventually solve that planet's problem, get off it and are then introduced to the reaper like things and other space type enemies, etc. It's only after dealing with them (or through the course of trying to take them on, i think) you end up discovering the stuff I spoliered above.

When you compare where you are at the end of the game to where you started, it makes the entire first part seems so trivial, which i guess is the core of a good space opera.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have a Saints Row 2 question. I recently started it, using the Gentlemen of the Row mod. I started with 3 (and loved it). Playing things out of order is weird...

Anyway, I did a couple missions and found I was out of ammo, so I drove around for a good 15 minutes trying to find a Friendly Fire (They are not all that common...), only to find that the pistol ammo is 200 bucks a clip! What in the world is going on here?! I'll go broke trying to keep my guns topped off at this rate! Am I supposed to just beat everybody? Doesn't sound like much fun...

What am I doing wrong? Is there some other way I'm supposed to get ammo?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a Saints Row 2 question. I recently started it, using the Gentlemen of the Row mod. I started with 3 (and loved it). Playing things out of order is weird...

Anyway, I did a couple missions and found I was out of ammo, so I drove around for a good 15 minutes trying to find a Friendly Fire (They are not all that common...), only to find that the pistol ammo is 200 bucks a clip! What in the world is going on here?! I'll go broke trying to keep my guns topped off at this rate! Am I supposed to just beat everybody? Doesn't sound like much fun...

Are you running over people when they die? Enemies drop ammo so you should always have ammo for some type of gun unless you are the worlds worst shot.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Always be headshotting

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

Star Ocean 3 did this a little bit too. For most of the first part of the game your ship has crashed on this backwater medieval like planet where you have to deal with swords and magic and whatever the gently caress. I've forgotten what happens right after, but you eventually solve that planet's problem, get off it and are then introduced to the reaper like things and other space type enemies, etc. It's only after dealing with them (or through the course of trying to take them on, i think) you end up discovering the stuff I spoliered above.

When you compare where you are at the end of the game to where you started, it makes the entire first part seems so trivial, which i guess is the core of a good space opera.

Actually what makes the first part trivial is the simple fact that it is. No plot development actually occurs on the first disk until you get rescued. Everything else can be summed up as killing time until the Diplo can come get you.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Silver Falcon posted:

Completing certain side missions gives you unlimited ammo for various weapons.

GameFAQS posted:

Shotgun: Complete all six levels of the Airport Drug Trafficing activity to unlock the X2 Ultimax and unlimited shotgun ammo.

Pistol: Complete all six levels of the Projects Fuzz activity to unlock the Kobra and unlimited pistol ammo.

SMG: Complete all six levels of the Downtown Snatch activity to unlock the Gal 43 and unlimited SMG ammo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kennel posted:

Bear in mind that if you're using Gentlemen of the Row, those unlocks have been changed, but yeah, completing certain activities will give you unlimited ammo and whatnot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kennel posted:

Didn't know that! Also didn't know that I could get ammo off dead bodies. (I don't normally play shooting games.)

I'm a fair shot, though. I'll just aim for the head more often! Thanks for the advice. I feel better about it now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Fuzz missions in SR2 are the best part of the series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

The Fuzz missions in SR2 are the best part of the series.
That's not SR4 Insurance Fraud.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm on the fence over Dark Souls 2. I loved the first two Souls games, but once the initial hype wore off I've heard nothing but bad things about DS2. Is it worth the $30 tag? Ugh... someone in this thread mentioned a DS clone called The Fallen Kingdom or some poo poo, anyone play that? How is it?

On an unrelated note, does Blazblu or Guilty Gear Isuka have a lot of PC players participating in the Online modes?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I'm on the fence over Dark Souls 2. I loved the first two Souls games, but once the initial hype wore off I've heard nothing but bad things about DS2. Is it worth the $30 tag?

If you liked the previous games, you'll like DS2. Stuff like being able to connect to multiplayer and leave messages is much better. Other stuff like like world connectivity/level design is worse since you can fast travel immediately, but it's still a good game, though not as good as DS1.

Also regarding Mass Effect chat, is there any indication the DLC will be buyable in a non-Bioware funny money fashion in the future? I've had these games forever and have always been overwhelmed at the amount of DLC for them and the unnecessary need to convert real money to fake money has always nudged me to just wait it out, but seeing how it's been years and there's still not a complete or goty version of any the games makes me realize I'm fighting a losing proposition. Figure I'll read the above posts for the essentials and bite the bullet.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 1, 2014

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Firstborn posted:

I'm on the fence over Dark Souls 2. I loved the first two Souls games, but once the initial hype wore off I've heard nothing but bad things about DS2. Is it worth the $30 tag? Ugh... someone in this thread mentioned a DS clone called The Fallen Kingdom or some poo poo, anyone play that? How is it?

On an unrelated note, does Blazblu or Guilty Gear Isuka have a lot of PC players participating in the Online modes?

It's not as good as DS1 but it's still a pretty good game in its own right. The main issues to me are that the world is not as tightly interwoven as DS1, you can fast travel from the getgo, and at first glance the story seems a bit weaker. I still really enjoyed playing it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'm on the fence over Dark Souls 2. I loved the first two Souls games, but once the initial hype wore off I've heard nothing but bad things about DS2. Is it worth the $30 tag?

The level design is a bit weaker but the mechanics are better and it is more Dark Souls. If you liked Dark Souls for its combat, odds are you will probably like Dark Souls 2.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'll give it a shot... if it was $20 I'd purchase it immediately, the $30 tag gives me pause.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You've been very selective if you've heard nothing but bad things about DS2. It's a great game, the world design isn't quite as good as in the first Dark Souls and the non-existent lighting it makes visually bland in some areas but the actual gameplay is on par or better than in the previous games and there's plenty of things to explore and die to.

If you enjoyed the first two Souls games you're most likely going to enjoy the third one too, even if it isn't an improvement in every area.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

How bad is Killer Is Dead really? How playable is it? My knowledge of Suda's games is based only on watching Chip and Ironicus play through No More Heroes 2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Terminally Bored posted:

How bad is Killer Is Dead really? How playable is it? My knowledge of Suda's games is based only on watching Chip and Ironicus play through No More Heroes 2.
If the ongoing(?) LP is to be believed, it's incredibly monotonous and bland with the exception of a few brief scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ok, skipping it then, thanks!

• Locked thread