Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alacron posted:

Playing Xenoblade again, I'm starting to remember why I stopped. Combat just hasn't "clicked" for me, every fight I get into I feel like I'm missing some glaringly obvious aspect or trick and am just generally making things harder for myself. There's just so much poo poo going on and things to do that it's really hard to know what to prioritize, so I wind up just using Side Split and Back Slash all the time. It works most of the time, but then I'll run into some monster that equals my level that starts wrecking my poo poo so fast that I'm not sure if I just stink at this game or if I'm underleveled or what.

Try setting Reyn up to pull aggro by setting him on the Enthusiasm Tree, and abuse Shadow Eye to keep things from turning back to hit Shulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
First time playing Xenoblade you should do all the quests.

Do not skip one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Do not skip one.

Don't listen to this guy, trying to do all the quests will reap your taint. When you reach Alcamoth that's a great time to get choosy with your sidequests.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

Don't listen to this guy, trying to do all the quests will reap your taint. When you reach Alcamoth that's a great time to get choosy with your sidequests.

The only early sidequest you actually should go out of your way to do is the one that gets you a portable gem furnace. When you get the colony construction sidequest early on, take the time to get all four buildings to level 1. You get a miniature reactor that you can take to the Gem Furnace guy in Colony 9, and he'll make you a portable version so you can craft gems any drat time you please.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I was playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze last weekend and after playing a world with the tablet, I swapped back from the tablet to the the sideways wiimote set up. I have no idea why, but this plays so much better for me. :psyduck: I was having trouble getting into the flow of the levels, but after switching I'm bouncing all over the place and making jumps I had trouble with using the gamepad.

This game is intense and beautiful. I hate the stupid log raft. :argh:

The one problem I have with Donkey Kong is that I have little will to go back to a level and get all the puzzle pieces/kong letters. After playing a part for over 15 times and just finishing by the skin of your teeth doesn't make it appealing to go back and do it again.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Do not skip one.

Taint reaped AGAIN

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only early sidequest you actually should go out of your way to do is the one that gets you a portable gem furnace. When you get the colony construction sidequest early on, take the time to get all four buildings to level 1. You get a miniature reactor that you can take to the Gem Furnace guy in Colony 9, and he'll make you a portable version so you can craft gems any drat time you please.

Do you know when that is first available? I did a whole bunch of Colony 9's quests before heading to Colony 6 and haven't received anything like that. I just got to the Ether Mines.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FPzero posted:

Do you know when that is first available? I did a whole bunch of Colony 9's quests before heading to Colony 6 and haven't received anything like that. I just got to the Ether Mines.

After the Ether Mines, after you get past the next big area, Otharon will leave your group and will basically tell you he's got stuff for you to do.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cool, thanks.

This game is just clicking with me now. Better late than never I guess. I really like exploring the huge areas and seeing what's around. The Bionis Leg must be one of the biggest places I've ever seen in a video game. I kind of wish there were treasure chests on the overworld in far-off corners containing things but considering the frequency that enemies drop weapons and armor there wouldn't be much point unless you put a bunch of fancy uniques in them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

FPzero posted:

Cool, thanks.

This game is just clicking with me now. Better late than never I guess. I really like exploring the huge areas and seeing what's around. The Bionis Leg must be one of the biggest places I've ever seen in a video game. I kind of wish there were treasure chests on the overworld in far-off corners containing things but considering the frequency that enemies drop weapons and armor there wouldn't be much point unless you put a bunch of fancy uniques in them.

Unique Monsters are basically that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Darth TNT posted:

The one problem I have with Donkey Kong is that I have little will to go back to a level and get all the puzzle pieces/kong letters. After playing a part for over 15 times and just finishing by the skin of your teeth doesn't make it appealing to go back and do it again.

The Kong letters are not that hard, and they unlock extra stages for each world. The puzzle pieces do nothing aside from unlock concept art and things like that, and I don't even think they contribute to the 100% completion stat.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Alacron posted:

Playing Xenoblade again, I'm starting to remember why I stopped. Combat just hasn't "clicked" for me, every fight I get into I feel like I'm missing some glaringly obvious aspect or trick and am just generally making things harder for myself. There's just so much poo poo going on and things to do that it's really hard to know what to prioritize, so I wind up just using Side Split and Back Slash all the time. It works most of the time, but then I'll run into some monster that equals my level that starts wrecking my poo poo so fast that I'm not sure if I just stink at this game or if I'm underleveled or what.

Where are you in the game? Shulk's move set feels pretty dull because each character has a dedicated role in the party, and
Shulk is sort of the enabler. He quickly gets three moves to help build up the Party Guage (Back Stab, Air Slash, and Side Split), he can inflict Break easily, he can buff the party with the Monado, and he even gets a heal.

Reyn is a bit weird and I've only really used him as an AoE tank because of his spin attack. He's a lot more focused than Shulk and has a bunch of Aura abilities you can activate to alter his role in a fight. I feel like he's fairly boring to control, but doing so gives you a lot of control over the fight. Make sure you keep up his damage, otherwise enemies won't focus on him.

The Medic starts out totally focused around healing. Controlling them can make fights way less swingy, but it isn't till around level 40 or so that they can offensively contribute to Chain Attacks.

The Evasion Tank is pretty fun to play as, as they have a pretty interesting Talent Art and a move set that's something like a cross between Shulk and Reyn. Lots of ways to fill up the Party Gauge, Auras to increase damage and draw aggro, and eventually they can Topple enemies without anyone else's help. They do a ton of auto attack damage which is good, because you really want to avoid spamming their Arts.

If you're still just stuck with Shulk and Reyn I'd suggest just trying to power through until you get another character, then switching up who you're controlling. Even the Medic gives you a lot more control over fights by being able to choose who gets healed when.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Does anyone know when Nintendo are doing any TGS stuff?

When will I find out we are getting Skyward Sword HD for Wii U?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skyward Sword will be a New Wii U exclusive, sorry.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alacron posted:

I'm not that far in but if you just have Shulk/Reyn don't forget the whole Break -> Topple -> Daze chain. Shulk's pink arts cause break on enemies and Reyn's green art Wild Down (which he almost always yells so you know when it's coming) will cause Topple. Topple will stun for a few seconds, allowing you to get in some good hits from whatever position you need to be in.

Basically, you want Reyn to draw all the attention and then be attacking the sides/back with Shulk, occasionally causing break and topple. Stream Edge is really good because it hits a wide swath of enemies in front of you. Find ways to boost Reyn's HP and Physical Defense since he's supposed to draw all the attention.

If you feel like you're not doing enough damage, don't forget to level up your artes with your AP. You should also check that your equipment has room for gems and use them. If you need more EXP do some quick sidequests because some of them give nice amounts as rewards. They also sometimes have nice gems as rewards. Fill your collectopaedia for more rewards and gems. There's a bunch of ways to get stronger that I've found. If you're feeling ambitious, try defeating some unique monsters for their drops.

This is all advice for someone still in the early stages of his first playthrough. It's working for me so far!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chronojam posted:

There's over 400 sidequests in the game, maximum achievement is for 300 quests because not all are mutually exclusive. Let's also not forget that some sidequests have voiced dialogue and can expand the overall story to some characters.

Your quest status gets reset in Newgame+

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Darth TNT posted:

I was playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze last weekend and after playing a world with the tablet, I swapped back from the tablet to the the sideways wiimote set up. I have no idea why, but this plays so much better for me. :psyduck: I was having trouble getting into the flow of the levels, but after switching I'm bouncing all over the place and making jumps I had trouble with using the gamepad.

I'm going to try that, it sounds like I am having the same trouble you were with that game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Misandu posted:

Where are you in the game?

I've had to start all over since my old save got lost or deleted somewhere down the line, so at the moment I'm not even out of Colony 9 yet. :shobon: But from what I remember I did at least get Sharla last time around.

Anyone have some recommendations on which artes to level up first? Is it better to focus on high damage artes or stuff that inflicts Break/Topple/Daze so that they get shorter cooldowns? At the moment I'm mostly just going with damage, but there's just so many options and I'm just kind of paralyzed at times.

I know I've got to get out of this mindset, but having just come off of some D&D games where almost every talent and perk is a trap for the player, and you've got to know exactly what kind of build you're going for from the start or you'll come out with a severely gimped character.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Slur posted:

200 hours? I spent 120 before I was able to beat Avalanche Abassay and Zanza. What delayed you guys from proceeding?

He wanted to unlock all the skill trees and do all the heart-to-hearts and basically do everything in the game that he could. We're ready to beat the game, but now he wants to try to beat the super bosses.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Unoriginal posted:

He wanted to unlock all the skill trees and do all the heart-to-hearts and basically do everything in the game that he could. We're ready to beat the game, but now he wants to try to beat the super bosses.

FYI, the last boss is level 82 or so and easily beatable at level 79, so if you want to fight him AFTER fighting the super bosses chances are you'll easily beat him just by looking at him funny.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Calaveron posted:

FYI, the last boss is level 82 or so and easily beatable at level 79, so if you want to fight him AFTER fighting the super bosses chances are you'll easily beat him just by looking at him funny.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Once he started getting toward the level cap, I knew the ending was just going to be for show.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The super bosses only exist to give you the trade item for the love potions. The trade item is a 15% drop from one of the lowest super bosses, but you can force the chest to always contain the item if you save before opening it. If the chest doesn't contain the item just keep reloading.

Afterwards just force the super boss to respawn by doing the saving and loading trick and do it again. You need two love potions for two achievements.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest problem I had with Xenoblade (outside of it just being too big) was I rarely saw a point in not using Shulk/Reyn/Sharla. It's just the perfect combo of Attacker/Tank/Healer and I rarely found use for anyone else. I did also enjoy playing as Melia and thought she had the most fun gameplay but party wise it still just didn't fit together as well. I'd experiment with other party combos but every time I'd switch back things would just always go way smoother.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alacron posted:

I've had to start all over since my old save got lost or deleted somewhere down the line, so at the moment I'm not even out of Colony 9 yet. :shobon: But from what I remember I did at least get Sharla last time around.

Anyone have some recommendations on which artes to level up first? Is it better to focus on high damage artes or stuff that inflicts Break/Topple/Daze so that they get shorter cooldowns? At the moment I'm mostly just going with damage, but there's just so many options and I'm just kind of paralyzed at times.

I know I've got to get out of this mindset, but having just come off of some D&D games where almost every talent and perk is a trap for the player, and you've got to know exactly what kind of build you're going for from the start or you'll come out with a severely gimped character.

It's not like D&D. You'll get enough AP to level up all your arts. Besides, Arts have a cap, where you can't level them up any farther until you get the requisite skill book. The game really wants you to spread the AP around and try out different arts.

If I were you, I'd pick 3 or so damaging arts, a couple utility ones- like break/topple/daze, and then some healing or support. Characters can actually play many different roles depending on how they're equipped. Try out some different things!

axleblaze posted:

I think the biggest problem I had with Xenoblade (outside of it just being too big) was I rarely saw a point in not using Shulk/Reyn/Sharla. It's just the perfect combo of Attacker/Tank/Healer and I rarely found use for anyone else. I did also enjoy playing as Melia and thought she had the most fun gameplay but party wise it still just didn't fit together as well. I'd experiment with other party combos but every time I'd switch back things would just always go way smoother.

Really? I had the opposite experience. Once I let go of the tank/healer/DPS trifecta and kicked Sharla to the curb for good, I had a much more pleasant experience. Sure, you have less healing that way, but you also kill things a lot faster and more efficiently, to the point where you don't even need a dedicated healer anymore. Plus, there's the skill link that heals you from a chain attack, Riki's Art that fills the Chain Attack gauge, and heck, Riki makes a really good healer with You Can Do It. Him and Shulk should do a fine job of keeping your party healthy. Or just him. You'll be killing things a lot faster too.

I just find that the only time I needed to have Sharla in the party was when... I had Sharla in my party. She necessitates dedicated healing because she can't kill things as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

axleblaze posted:

How's this for a reason: Sharla is the worst. You shouldn't need to be stuck with a healer unless you're trying to support a speed-tank setup versus bosses way above your level, and in that case, Reyn doesn't belong at all since he'll draw aggro and die regardless of defense and health between your healing application.

I mean if you had fun with it, great, but you missed out on a lot of great mechanics and chatter. Seven/Rikki/Melia is absurd, hope you like chain attacks.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Falcon posted:

Really? I had the opposite experience. Once I let go of the tank/healer/DPS trifecta and kicked Sharla to the curb for good, I had a much more pleasant experience. Sure, you have less healing that way, but you also kill things a lot faster and more efficiently, to the point where you don't even need a dedicated healer anymore. Plus, there's the skill link that heals you from a chain attack, Riki's Art that fills the Chain Attack gauge, and heck, Riki makes a really good healer with You Can Do It. Him and Shulk should do a fine job of keeping your party healthy. Or just him. You'll be killing things a lot faster too.

I just find that the only time I needed to have Sharla in the party was when... I had Sharla in my party. She necessitates dedicated healing because she can't kill things as well.

You need Sharla for some of the super bosses or enemies 10 levels higher than you, unless you get real lucky and time dunban's special movies.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Taint Reaper posted:

You need Sharla for some of the super bosses or enemies 10 levels higher than you, unless you get real lucky and time dunban's special movies.

Ooh, right, good point. I never tried the super-bosses, but yeah, ether-based characters are essential for them.

I wasn't talking about the edge case of the super-bosses though. I was talking about just playing through the game, and for that you definitely don't need Sharla.

(As long as you're properly leveled, that is.)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Falcon posted:

Ooh, right, good point. I never tried the super-bosses, but yeah, ether-based characters are essential for them.

I wasn't talking about the edge case of the super-bosses though. I was talking about just playing through the game, and for that you definitely don't need Sharla.

(As long as you're properly leveled, that is.)

Also the achievement that says 10 levels higher means exactly 10 levels higher. I was fighting guys 11 levels higher in Tephla cave and it was taking me quite a few minutes to down each guy. I then thought I needed the named mobs like the unique gorilla guys to try and trigger it, and after a 15 minute fight nothing.

So wait until you're 10 levels below something, at endgame the high level bunyips in the cave are the easiest.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The only art I'd say is important to keep levelled up as high as you can is Monado Shield, since it absolutely needs to be at or above the level of the enemy art you're trying to block. If it's lower, it will have no effect. Anything else is up to you and your playstyle, really.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
OP Update:
  • Stealth Inc. 2's release date has been confirmed as October 23rd, 2014.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So, for New Super Mario Bros U (the 2D one) is there anything exciting for finishing all the challenges, because holy hell are some of those awful.

EDIT: VVV Okay yeah, screw that.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 1, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chieves posted:

So, for New Super Mario Bros U (the 2D one) is there anything exciting for finishing all the challenges, because holy hell are some of those awful.

Completing a set of challenges gets you this message which you then post on Miiverse hoping children will yeah your post

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Pretend you receive a digital platinum trophy and/or 1000 Gamer Points to show off to the world.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I beat you last super boss the dragon on the mountain using Shulk, Rheyn and Dunban. It was GLORIOUS. Otherwise, Riki can replace Sharla easily. I almost beat the boss using Seven, Riki and Melia (her dropkick is awesome and useful) but in the the end I needed Shulk's shield and Rheyn's thick skull.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 2, 2014

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

The top down shooter level of Super 3D World :3:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Don't even have a system yet but WalMart appears to offer drat good deals - 32 bucks for a used copy of Tropical Freeze. Was going to hold out for Mario Kart 8 but...

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I have a euro wii u but now I'm back in the US. Am I just screwed?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
You'll have to import or use the European eshop.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Narcissus1916 posted:

Don't even have a system yet but WalMart appears to offer drat good deals - 32 bucks for a used copy of Tropical Freeze. Was going to hold out for Mario Kart 8 but...

What does the last part of this mean? MK8 has been out for a few months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm waiting for a Mario Kart Sale, now that the club nintendo promo is over.

• Locked thread