Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're going to love them. I'm 100% serious about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is gonna be great

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually like one of these episodes a fair bit. The other one, though...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its Doctor Who's Red Wedding.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Android Blues posted:

I feel this way as well. We found each other. How thematically appropriate.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Android Blues posted:

I remember liking the first episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Fun fact: neither I nor oxxidation have seen the next two episodes, so...yeah

You thought you knew hell?

Just be happy Pip and Jane aren't around.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

Yea you may have a good time with one of these depending on your personal tastes.

You certainly will not with the other.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
In my opinion, both of these next two are tremendously overshadowed by their final 5-10 minutes - and rightly so. They're certainly an idiosyncratic pair.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, the episodes following the next two are pretty decent for the time, I guess.

The next two though, :henget:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh also me and dead talked it over and we both decided LMS season 4 would be kinda tired at this point so he released me from my toxx

So that means more time for doctor who. Hooray :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Toxxupation posted:

Oh also me and dead talked it over and we both decided LMS season 4 would be kinda tired at this point so he released me from my toxx

Don't act like you're not happy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eh, whatever, you're probably right on that count.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Toxxupation posted:

Oh no you have to watch a show you occasionally enjoy. What a horrible travesty.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

translation: LMS was cutting into the time I now need to go to Who conventions and figure out this whole "cosplay" thing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

As promised, my thoughts on the Ood: I think that a race that needs to be enslaved is not a slave race. Slavery is by definition an act that involves an unwilling participant and I think this two-parter, as a whole, made a mistake by labelling them as a "slave race". I think it was to make some sort of moral allegory- I don't exactly know what, exactly, because this plot thread was pretty much completely dropped by the end of "Impossible Planet" and is never really addressed outside of the very end of "The Satan Pit" -but by doing so it just made the Ood confusing. This is the downside of layering your statements behind genre metaphor- you sometimes make the entire point so utterly alien (no pun intended) from reality that there's no real way one can mine a sort of lesson out of it. Again, there's an initial revulsion I have a la Rose to the idea of a race that specifically exists to enslave itself to a "higher" life form, but this revulsion is specifically based on my association with the word "slavery". So to me it's really not possible to make any form of statement on the Ood since their arc was based around being the antagonist rather than understanding their cultural norms.

This is the only thing I really, really don't like about these episodes (at least, I think it's the only thing; it's been awhile since I've seen them). I'm not really sure what the purpose is of introducing a "slave" race if they aren't going to comment on it or liberate them. I think the point of science fiction (or fantasy, which Doctor Who sometimes is, really) is, at times, to pop open that Intro to Philosophy textbook and replace the "what if" moral conundrums with story scenarios, but what on earth is interesting for us, right now, in the idea of "What if a race of people simply were engineered to be space butlers with little to no reward?" In fact, if you extrapolate its meaning to anything in our lives, the implication is sort of disgusting. I find it difficult to accept that the story they were telling needed it, and the Doctor sort of shrugging at the end and saying "Well, I couldn't save the Ood, whoops" is really uncomfortable.

People have mentioned that the Ood show up later, but Doctor Who is episodic enough that you sort of have to take the individual serials on their own merits, and this left a really sour taste in my mouth.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Toxxupation posted:

You know once you finish this he's going to make you watch all the early series right

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaggitz posted:

Oh no you have to watch a show you occasionally enjoy. What a horrible travesty.

No, no, I'm not going to watch LMS

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

You know once you finish this he's going to make you watch all the early series right

71 hours of just Tom Baker :getin:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I can't wait for Toxx to get to Timelash, The Twin Dilemma, or Time and the Rani. :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Remember that he's not toxxed to watch this series, I am, and I will hold my account to my breast and leap with it into an active volcano before watching the early series of Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You're a crazy person, they're the only good ones

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
On one hand, I was looking forward to the LMS S4 thread. On the other hand, you're probably right and it's too tired and was never going to be as good as the S2/3 thread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's LMS?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kurtofan posted:

What's LMS?

Last Man Standing. Some terrible American sitcom with the guy from Home Improvement.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

OH BOY LET ME TELL YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is this 'the' episode, or is it the one after this one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Is this 'the' episode, or is it the one after this one.

This next one's probably the one you're thinking of.

sbaldrick posted:

I actually think Toxx/Occ looking at a sampler of the various classic Doctors could be interesting. Like 1-2 stories each (a best/worst kinda thing), but only if this thread catches up to the present and still hasn't worn out it's welcome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Both episode are pretty much "the" episode for different reasons.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy :munch:

e: The problem is that we may have built it up too much at this point.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pinwiz11 posted:

we may have built it up too much at this point.
Yeah I wish we wouldn't do this, but even oxx did it so i refuse to feel shame

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
FWIW (that is: not much), I loved the next one except for the last couple minutes and found the one after that so utterly unremarkable that I was surprised when I recently found out that it was so hated.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Are The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit the episodes where they used the goddamn door opening sound effect from DOOM? Because that alone makes them pretty alright.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Are The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit the episodes where they used the goddamn door opening sound effect from DOOM? Because that alone makes them pretty alright.

That sound effect has been used everywhere. I first noticed it in a Rugrats episode when I was, like, seven.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

They're standard sound effects created by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Ideas , so they turn up everywhere

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Rusty gate opening number whatever" is one of the most distracting things about television and film. You hear it so often, it's actually getting to be kind of annoying.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Does anyone with more behind the scenes knowledge know why these were the only two episodes written by this particular writer? If a writer can pull off a two-parter as well as this one you'd think they'd bring the guy back for another round. Or did Rusty have to do a lot of work to salvage the scripts?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

howe_sam posted:

Does anyone with more behind the scenes knowledge know why these were the only two episodes written by this particular writer? If a writer can pull off a two-parter as well as this one you'd think they'd bring the guy back for another round. Or did Rusty have to do a lot of work to salvage the scripts?

Writing isn't his full time job, most likely because the stars never aligned, so he works as a Producer instead which is a very time consuming job. It's possible that he wants to come back, and would be welcomed, but just has never been able to. Rusty must of liked his scripts because he invited him to write for Torchwood.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Rusty must of liked his scripts because he invited him to write for Torchwood.

I really don't see how this follows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I really don't see how this follows

I can't tell if your joking about the quality of Torchwood or being genuine.

• Locked thread