Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, I'm really resisting the temptation to get into this after having a big nostalgia fit.

One question though: Can bards still swarm kite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Man, I'm really resisting the temptation to get into this after having a big nostalgia fit.

One question though: Can bards still swarm kite?

Yes

(you do it without SoW on this server by strafe running and turning slightly while doing so. Monsters turn a little slower than players so it reduces their melee range but has the same effect as old AoE kiting once you get the hang out it)

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

onesixtwo posted:

i found your bard friend, it took 3 levels of PLing before we found out he was your friend and a goon. log in and get your tag!

Glad you met Aeolian! I thought he had went to bed already, but I had by the time you posted. I will be on sometime a little later today though, so hit me up whenever you see me around and you are on :) Looking forward to joining

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I Love You! posted:

Yes

(you do it without SoW on this server by strafe running and turning slightly while doing so. Monsters turn a little slower than players so it reduces their melee range but has the same effect as old AoE kiting once you get the hang out it)

In that case, have there been any quality of life adjustments compared to Velious era Everquest? The one thing that's really holding me back is the "set up camp for hours, get one 1/5th of a level after several hours, die, loose it all" stuff that happened back in the days of vanilla. I don't exactly have the free time I had back in 2002 to spend days to gain one level.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

In that case, have there been any quality of life adjustments compared to Velious era Everquest? The one thing that's really holding me back is the "set up camp for hours, get one 1/5th of a level after several hours, die, loose it all" stuff that happened back in the days of vanilla. I don't exactly have the free time I had back in 2002 to spend days to gain one level.

I play on red where groups are amazingly easy to get and give fantastic XP so yes, I suppose it's a million times better than that. On blue, basically you're still going to be doing this.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Finally hit 17 with my Goku Lizard, which means the almighty Feign Death. Also had my first successful heal from Mend today just over an hour ago. Good times in Kunark.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
We're going to have a roving lizard death squad real soon. At what point should we start worrying about gear?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Arven posted:

We're going to have a roving lizard death squad real soon. At what point should we start worrying about gear?

Save up money to buy a decent weapon if you don't already have one. Getting a few pieces of resist gear isn't going to matter much to survivability. I'd recommend pushing for 40+ before really worrying too much.

I've got a 45 bard who still wears garbage because whatever. At 50 I'll definitely stop to really gear up but before then it's really time-consuming without ports.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
By the way, if you are going to farm one item for plat, it should be Bracer of the Hidden. Shrunken Goblin Skull earring isnt bad either. Literally every character on the server needs these two items and they go for a LOT

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 1, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

DeathSandwich posted:

The XP mod Red has works very well to eliminate a lot of what you listed. Offhand, it's +50% all times, and +40% per group member. It is literally more effective for you to solo with 5 afk people in your group. A well put together group can out level their camp in a couple hours. If you hop on for only an hour or two a day you'll certainly feel the XP made was worthwhile.

The Devs' vision is to make this as classic as humanly possible, with the exception of the XP mod above (on red), and no item loot. You can be coined only, so don't travel with coin on your character and bank often.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Play on red. Even with the occasional gank it's way faster than blue. Plus goons.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery
Hopping on my Wiz "Nameless" now for a while if someone is near EC and can toss me an invite. Might be afk, but just shoot me a tell and we'll coordinate.

Edit: Also have a 20 cleric on red named Quellious FYI

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Summit posted:

Play on red. Even with the occasional gank it's way faster than blue. Plus goons.

Not emptyquoting.

Goons are actually playing together in EQ! I think we had 13 or so online today simultaneously. The guild leaders have been doing amazing work getting people tagged and helping us powerlevel. Kudos to them.

Also regarding PvP, since rerolling Iksar I haven't even seen anyone attempt to gank me in Kunark and I just hit level 20 today through an amazing powerleveling session offered by a nice random druid. Red unironically owns.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Now that I've said it I'm sure I'll get ganked, but PVP is actually extremely rare outside of the GFaydark it seems. Our lizard group was attacked once by a twink when we were level 6 or so yesterday, but the 5 of us managed to kill him with no losses.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Arven posted:

Now that I've said it I'm sure I'll get ganked, but PVP is actually extremely rare outside of the GFaydark it seems. Our lizard group was attacked once by a twink when we were level 6 or so yesterday, but the 5 of us managed to kill him with no losses.

It's common in a few target zones, but there's various gaps such as from about 34-40+ since it's not worth trying to hunt people down when they are scattered all over the place.

Then at high levels it becomes common again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Okay I'm taking the plunge. We have no porters, and we could use one. I rolled up a halfling Druid called Jaromir. I'd appreciate a guildinvite if anyone is on that could do so :o. Also could use a bind in the gfay area, gonna head that way.

That leaves me with my Mage - Hunglo - and now a Druid. Truly I am the most white bread of players.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Okay I'm taking the plunge. We have no porters, and we could use one. I rolled up a halfling Druid called Jaromir. I'd appreciate a guildinvite if anyone is on that could do so :o. Also could use a bind in the gfay area, gonna head that way.

That leaves me with my Mage - Hunglo - and now a Druid. Truly I am the most white bread of players.

To be fair a bunch of people have rolled up druids and wizards lately, we're still leveling them up but they're close to hitting the first tiers of ports overall.

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie
Have a Shaman, Enchanter and an SK all lvl 6 and under on red. Still on the fence on what to play due to limited playtime and the need to afk randomly. Feel free to send Blargh, Ixodim or Verrucht a /tell if you see me wandering around.

okiedoke fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 1, 2014

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Currently my rl friend Kean is our only of-level porter.. His wizard alt is the second (untagged atm) but yes, there has been an influx of wiz / druids being made.

I'm going to try doing a PL session every other day or so. I think I'm the current highest level at 45, so I'm going to sit here for awhile and farm some stuff / PL everyone. Today's morning CB group took Nameless from 4-10, attracted two PKs, and then showed the 60 enchanter Citizenn needs to die. Also his alt, Overdue a twinked 13 Rogue. I need to get my 17 SK some twink gear.

everquest.txt
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:06 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: bad mistkae (I invited Perf to give him see invis)
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:07 2014] Perf pierces Overdue for 3 points of damage.
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:19 2014] Overdue shouts, 'lol ur on the side of the worse pker'
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:20 2014] Yevea -> Overdue: i'm tickled, don't worry
[Mon Sep 01 15:58:53 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: why do that
[Mon Sep 01 15:59:06 2014] [PvP] Overdue <> has been defeated by Perf <The LIttle Ones> in Crushbone!
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:08 2014] Yevea -> Overdue: cause you killed my newbies :(
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:16 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: He killed them, and i protected them
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:21 2014] Overdue -> Yevea: powerlvel is over now
[Mon Sep 01 16:00:50 2014] Yevea -> Overdue: actually you were in zone pking them first, but you're right it is that was the last pull !

[Mon Sep 01 16:02:09 2014] Citizenn shouts, 'taking throne room as no one here' (his main, very much out of pvp range for me)

classy as gently caress!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
kill everyone leave no survivors

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

onesixtwo posted:

Currently my rl friend Kean is our only of-level porter.. His wizard alt is the second (untagged atm) but yes, there has been an influx of wiz / druids being made.

I'm going to try doing a PL session every other day or so. I think I'm the current highest level at 45, so I'm going to sit here for awhile and farm some stuff / PL everyone.

I'm actually 45.4 so I'm the highest.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Hanging around on Skullmonkey (15 cleric) or Boombots (11 enchanter). Looking for a guild invite on the enchanter or a ride out of Steamfont.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Still in Qeynos on Rizen if anyone is in the area. Once I get to 12 and can bind I'll make the run out. Until then :suicide:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Cool Blue Reason posted:

I'm actually 45.4 so I'm the highest.

Mahj is 49 and my bard is 46, get to work.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Any 15-20 iksar going to be on tonight for kurns?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone got a minute to help me with an item transfer in the EC tunnel on Blue? In as Knudd.

Edit: Got done, thanks Wiphon!

Republicans fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Got a babby group on the Field of Bone ramp going right now. Need to be 6+ or so since we're level 9.

Edit: Looks like there's also a level 3-5 group going, non-goon

Summit fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 2, 2014

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
So I didn't really sleep this weekend, but my druid's level 30. In a few levels I'll be able to start powerleveling goons with skin/regen/thorns :)

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Getting online as Pillo on red, 18 monk in kurn's with a fungi. Let's do this.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Equality posted:

Getting online as Pillo on red, 18 monk in kurn's with a fungi. Let's do this.

Pillo alert, always group with pillo 420 errday etc

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Oh, I also have my druid ports now and I'm keeping myself bound to Kunark, if any lizards ever needs a port send Hardon a tell.
e: And I've been getting 3-5 tells a day asking for guild invites. I'm around FoB and other noob zones a lot if you want to make me an officer for inviting purposes.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 2, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

Oh, I also have my druid ports now and I'm keeping myself bound to Kunark, if any lizards ever needs a port send Hardon a tell.
e: And I've been getting 3-5 tells a day asking for guild invites. I'm around FoB and other noob zones a lot if you want to make me an officer for inviting purposes.

I can come make you an officer right now. Scoobs logging in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright I opted to not do the druid and went shaman instead since I've been dying to play one. I made an ogre because I've always wanted to do that. It's probably gonna be pretty challenging to find a way to level this guy but oh well! I've always wanted an ogre shaman and dammit I'm gonna make it work. Name is Forrest.

I still have Hunglo if people need guild invites in Gfay etc but I'll probably mostly be on this shaman.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Alright I opted to not do the druid and went shaman instead since I've been dying to play one. I made an ogre because I've always wanted to do that. It's probably gonna be pretty challenging to find a way to level this guy but oh well! I've always wanted an ogre shaman and dammit I'm gonna make it work. Name is Forrest.

Talk to Hardon, he can port you around and poo poo. Ogre shaman are by far the strongest. Swag

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I Love You! posted:

Talk to Hardon, he can port you around and poo poo. Ogre shaman are by far the strongest. Swag

badass. there's currently me and two ogre sks genociding lizards in feerott. Three ogres together smashing stuff is fuckin hilarious and that group xp bonus...oh lordy

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Once PawPaw is free of the noobie zone we shall be free forevermore. Thanks for the zoning guys otherwise, big noobs here :D.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Where do we go after Kurns? I went to Mistmoore with a PL group that kind of fizzled out shortly thereafter.

The spots I know of are:

LoIO
Mistmoore (Pond)
Unrest

Where else is a viable spot from 20-30, if not from 30-40 too?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

EllEssDee posted:

Where do we go after Kurns? I went to Mistmoore with a PL group that kind of fizzled out shortly thereafter.

The spots I know of are:

LoIO
Mistmoore (Pond)
Unrest

Those are basically what I did exactly, can also do Guk if you find a good group, Kaesora is an option at some point, FV pirates/Drolvarg in 30s, Overthere

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Upper Guk has a really high ZEM if memory serves. Also the sounds the frogs make when you hit them are really satisfying.

If you are a soloer capable of breaking a camp, you can make truly ridiculous plat off of the two treants in the north eastern corner of South Karana. Good lord did I ever make money doing that camp on blue. I wish my monk could handle it because if so I would be there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

The spots I know of are:

LoIO
Mistmoore (Pond)
Unrest

WW giants are good from 20 on then you can do FM giants or try out the dungeons no one ever does but are awesome, Kaesora, Dalnir, Nurga, and Droga. I think I'm gonna try to just level in kunark dungeons until 40+ and see how that goes.

• Locked thread