Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

slowbeef posted:

He would really just say the word rape for like no good reason
I suppose it depends on how much a body rubbing against another body or thing demands to be brought attention to by shouting the word. After some analysis I can determine that no, it's not a good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goat posted:

That's the thing though, you did it in high school, he's a grown-rear end adult, at least age-wise, and he continues to use rape as a punchline as a substitute for any actual substance. Even after it becoming a huge issue, and an "apology", he continues to shriek it all the time. Continuing to use one of the most despicable acts one human can do to another is in no way understandable or acceptable.

His target audience is middle schoolers. I imagined after a week or two after he stopped saying rape, the comments were filled with thumbed up "why is he less funny now" comments. Middle schoolers like terrible, offensive things and you sort of have to degrade yourself to reach that demo. I don't blame him for wanting to remain entertaining to his target audience, even if as an adult I find it a bit offensive and disappointing.

Simoverk
Mar 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

His target audience is middle schoolers. I imagined after a week or two after he stopped saying rape, the comments were filled with thumbed up "why is he less funny now" comments. Middle schoolers like terrible, offensive things and you sort of have to degrade yourself to reach that demo. I don't blame him for wanting to remain entertaining to his target audience, even if as an adult I find it a bit offensive and disappointing.

Wait I read somewhere that he apologized for the rape jokes and promised to not make rape jokes anymore because people were offended by it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
He did after Adults React to PewDiePie, but it was a half-assed PR apology. Thing is he sucks at PR. He then went right back to it after the whole thing had died down.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Unperson_47 posted:

And even if he did completely stop doing it, he literally made millions off of it so it'd be a meaningless gesture at that point. Kind of easy to apologize for doing something AFTER it has made you set for life.

I do not believe he made millions of dollars off screaming "rape rape rape" as he did making all the multiple videos of Happy Wheels people exploding terrifically and Slenderman jump-scares at the right place at the right time. The whole "rape rape rape" thing was a sidebar at best, not a focal drawing point.

Just to offer another topic of discussion, I'm enjoying the Team Four Star run of Condemned: Criminal Origins more than I should...I mean, it's shrieky and all, but I'm sorta expecting shrieky considering the TFS depiction of Krillin and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmP8oD77YA

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This one person I talk to who is very sensitive to the use of the word "rape" in an inappropriate context. They call people out for using it in a joking manner or using it in when they mean literally any other word, things like that.

Today I find out they're a PewDiePie fan. What kind of backwards poo poo is that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If they call people out on it by saying anything like "um, can you not?" then I can understand them being a fan of ol pewds.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Jamesman posted:

This one person I talk to who is very sensitive to the use of the word "rape" in an inappropriate context. They call people out for using it in a joking manner or using it in when they mean literally any other word, things like that.

Today I find out they're a PewDiePie fan. What kind of backwards poo poo is that?

The hypocrite is the most mysterious of creatures.

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO

Cangelosi posted:

Just to offer another topic of discussion, I'm enjoying the Team Four Star run of Condemned: Criminal Origins more than I should...I mean, it's shrieky and all, but I'm sorta expecting shrieky considering the TFS depiction of Krillin and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmP8oD77YA

I watched an episode of "Vegeta Makes Krillin Play Slender". It was really bland and dull. I also watched about a forth of this video to give it a fair chance, but I just cannot bring myself to watch more of it. I feel as though this would have been okay if Lanipator did it without the voice. He seems like a generally humorous guy.

I just don't understand the appeal of playing a character while doing a Let's Play, especially one that is shrieking and yelling all the time. Do anymore of these things exist outside of Team Four Star? I hope it doesn't become a trend.

It seems like a character based Let's Play would be better if you had a persona who fit with the game more, and actually made jokes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirShakes posted:

I watched an episode of "Vegeta Makes Krillin Play Slender". It was really bland and dull. I also watched about a forth of this video to give it a fair chance, but I just cannot bring myself to watch more of it. I feel as though this would have been okay if Lanipator did it without the voice. He seems like a generally humorous guy.

I just don't understand the appeal of playing a character while doing a Let's Play, especially one that is shrieking and yelling all the time. Do anymore of these things exist outside of Team Four Star? I hope it doesn't become a trend.

It seems like a character based Let's Play would be better if you had a persona who fit with the game more, and actually made jokes.

There are a whole lot of "person imitating famous celebrity or cartoon character plays scary game" videos out there, yes.

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO

CJacobs posted:

There are a whole lot of "person imitating famous celebrity or cartoon character plays scary game" videos out there, yes.

I shouldn't be, but I am really surprised.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CJacobs posted:

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIMigBwOOI

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

And then there is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flszuT3ROdo

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO

Man, I have really been living under a rock with this whole LP thing...

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I still want to see A Few Good Men Play. "You want the bonus level? You can't handle the bonus level!"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hey, be fair; that's the dude's real voice, not an affectation.

SirShakes posted:

It's appeal lies mostly in it's status as an ancillary work to their much more popular Dragon Ball Z Abridged series. The in-character let's plays are just a way for them to make additional content for their utterly insatiable fans in between episodes of their focal work.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SirShakes posted:

Considering that PewDiePie is essentially a character when he's LP'ing rather than a real person, I would say that yes, playing a screaming character does exist beyond Team Four Star.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SirShakes posted:

Just watch Freeman's Mind, though one may consider it more on the "Machinima" side than the "LP" side, especially since he subtly uses the flying cheat and some creative editing to skip boring sections of the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
And it's all the better for it, too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Freeman's Mind is amazing. It just sucks that the dude had some serious problems with Machinima. Same with Bro Team Pill. Machinima really screwed some people over.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

I'd be totally fine with this, if they were actually GOOD at it.

Such as,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UPogR4jhlI

Or, for the "scary game" criteria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqUrUWxXM78

If there could be an LP like these, I'd watch it over all others.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Let's go back a few days here.

CJacobs posted:

The ice bucket challenge thing has been attributed to over ten million dollars of funds raised for ALS so the people claiming it's stupid and pointless probably should do some research!

Hey guess who hates the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
"Charity is not something that should be promoted"

-DarkSidePhil, 2014

:allears:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I knew who it was gonna be even before clicking the link.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

I think if Phil were to do the ice bucket challenge he'd find someway of drowning himself.

Sometimes you find gold in YouTube comments.

Also Phil's totally taking this anti-ALS challenge stance just for attention, the irony of it all etc.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Kay Kessler posted:

This has been flooding my twitter, and this seems relevant to the thread. It seems an Lper named Kootra had the SWAT called to his house in the middle of a stream as a prank. :stonklol:

To clear it up a bit the reason Kootra's incident caught so much attention because it wasn't just police showing up to someones house, this was a full on lock down of a swat team following active shooter protocol shutting down the entire office building Koots and his crew work in and because it's Colorado nearby School's and other buildings nearby were being blocked off as well. It's probably the most terrifying of the "Swattings" that's happened thus far, because they busted in with guns aimed at him.

this is the Article from their local news station for those interested.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It looks like there are a bevy of willing Retsuprae targets over at the Let's Play Subreddit. Knowing the type of people who posts there I'm sure there are a few that would actually be worth the time.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

It looks like there are a bevy of willing Retsuprae targets over at the Let's Play Subreddit. Knowing the type of people who posts there I'm sure there are a few that would actually be worth the time.

Oh ho ho, Cryaotic is into it...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
isn't he the guy that lots of weird people think is gay for pewdiepie?

e: slowbeef, I've seen you mention this HC Bailly Metroid Prime thing a few times before, could you link to it? I'm a big dumb idiot and can't find it.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 4, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IceAgeComing posted:

e: slowbeef, I've seen you mention this HC Bailly Metroid Prime thing a few times before, could you link to it? I'm a big dumb idiot and can't find it.

Not sure about that, but his summaries of his Okami LP are pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1smPdLow_8

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I still want to see someone RP Hank Green's attempt at Pikmin 3. He speeds the video and audio up to 2x normal.

The description:

quote:

Welcome to a new experiment, HankGames X2 the HankGames series where we respect your time by speeding up the footage so that you can enjoy more of it in less time! ALSO IT'S PRETTY HILARIOUS!

I mean, dude, if you think you actually need to speed up your LP to "respect [our] time" maybe there's not really enough value to actually post it on the internet?

Hank Green is a cool dude what with his doing SciShow and Crash Course and all that, don't get me wrong. His LPs are just silly pseudo-hobbies rather than a business attempt like many Youtube LPers, but I really have to question what was running through his mind when he decided to do that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WHY IS THIS WATER COLD?! HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT WOULD BE COLD? I HAVE TO HAVE A BUCKET?! loving KOJIMA!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Waffleman_ posted:

WHY IS THIS WATER COLD?! HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT WOULD BE COLD? I HAVE TO HAVE A BUCKET?! loving KOJIMA!

This water's warm! Stupid bugged water mechanics.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This water's warm! Stupid bugged water mechanics.

WOW! I CAN'T GET THE WATER TO COME OUT!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dreamsicle posted:

WOW! I CAN'T GET THE WATER TO COME OUT!

I can summon friends to help me out? UH HAW HAW HAW GOOD JOB FROM SOFTWARE, not even explaining stuff at ALL! It's not even in the manual.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can summon friends to help me out? UH HAW HAW HAW GOOD JOB FROM SOFTWARE, not even explaining stuff at ALL! It's not even in the manual.

C'mon guys, these DSP parody situations just aren't realistic, you're going over the top, at least give the guy some credit. A DSP Ice Bucket challenge would realistically result in him dumping a bucket full of nothing but ice cubes on his head, then telling Kojima to shove his :10bux: up his rear end.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMS posted:

C'mon guys, these DSP parody situations just aren't realistic, you're going over the top, at least give the guy some credit. A DSP Ice Bucket challenge would realistically result in him dumping a bucket full of nothing but ice cubes on his head, then telling Kojima to shove his :10bux: up his rear end.

Look, I know Phil personally. That's how I know that DSP really stands for DumbSeagullPersonification. Just don't tell him I said so

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

IceAgeComing posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Cry's fandom is full of weird people who desperately want to see his face since they love his voice, but he prefers to keep out of sight like a smart person. So they make do with creepy fanfiction.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

SirShakes posted:

Little Kuriboh did (is doing? I haven't checked it in like two years) a Let's Play of Vampire The Masquerade as Marik, but that may still count as TFS now. It was lright, because he was playing the character trying to play the character in the game as best he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SirShakes posted:

It's entirely for those diehard fans who speak primarily in DBZ Abridged and Yu Gi Oh Abridged quotes. It makes perfect sense from a business perspective, you keep your fanbase somewhat satisfied by doing a set of videos where you only need 1 or 2 of the however many people, just in case person C and D are swamped at work.

Ha, like they really need a job anymore

• Locked thread