Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm looking for some new Jazz suggestions.

I'd say my two favorite albums right now are Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) and Blues and Roots (Mingus). I really like how these albums combine a jazz soloing and composition sensibility, memorable melodies and the feel and rhythms of other styles (calypso and blues). Any suggestions for albums to follow these up? I have a pretty big collection of Mingus already. I also really love Mingus Plays Piano and Monk Alone. Any other good solo piano albums I should definitely be checking out?

I've gotten quite some mileage out of Atomic's Bikini Tapes, although it's hardly piano-centric.
Boom-Boom is one of the tracks available to stream - give it a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'd say my two favorite albums right now are Saxophone Colossus (Sonny Rollins) and Blues and Roots (Mingus). I really like how these albums combine a jazz soloing and composition sensibility, memorable melodies and the feel and rhythms of other styles (calypso and blues). Any suggestions for albums to follow these up? I have a pretty big collection of Mingus already. I also really love Mingus Plays Piano and Monk Alone. Any other good solo piano albums I should definitely be checking out?

You familiar with Duke Ellington? If not, start with Far East Suite and move on from there.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

Attitude Indicator posted:

Otherwise im a fan of Coltrane, but i dont know if that is what you are looking after.

I think there's some Coltrane that might fit the requested parameters. Olé Coltrane is one of my favorites, and the opening track has a very definite Spanish feel added into the jazziness. A hell of a lineup on that record, too, with contributions from McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Eric Dolphy, and Freddie Hubbard.

The other suggestion I have is to check out some soul jazz from the early/mid-1960s. I'd highly recommend Grant Green's Idle Moments; the title track there is subdued and bluesy with some strong guitar playing from Green and chill vibe work from Bobby Hutcherson. If you steer more towards, say, Jimmy Smith's Back at the Chicken Shack, you're getting some very prominent funky rhythms underneath fine jazz soloing. If you really wanna get funky, look into Miles Davis' electric-era stuff (In a Silent Way and A Tribute to Jack Johnson being my faves, though On the Corner is worth a listen if you want to dive in head-first).

As far as solo piano stuff goes, Keith Jarrett is worth looking into. The Köln Concert is generally considered to be the high-water mark of his output, I think. Fair warning: the whole disc is an improvised performance. No pre-scripted compositions or anything here, but Jarrett is pretty adept at sculpting melodies, themes, etc. on the fly.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Guide me on traditional Appalachian bluegrass and folk, please.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Appalachian Stomp is a very good starter. My father used to play it often when I was growing up, and it gave me an appreciation for bluegrass. It's not available on Spotify, but all the songs are, so you can make a custom playlist. There were two CDs in the series. It will give you a good foundation, it has a lot of the big names, and will give you something to explore. Also, that page will give you a lot of other recommendations.

Earl Scruggs pretty much redefined how to play the banjo with "Scruggs style", so if you enjoy the banjo, that's the man to go to. He was also in the influential Flatt & Scruggs duet.

The Dillards were pretty famous. They made a few appearances as the silent Darling Boys on the Andy Griffith show.

A more obvious choice would be the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. If you haven't seen the movie, do so. The soundtrack is a mix of old folk/bluegrass and modern renditions of classics.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

Listen to Coltrane's My Favorite Things.

For solo piano albums in particular, listen to Alone by Bill Evans.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Where do I start with Nasheed music?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Where should I start with Quicksilver Messenger Service?

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

Declan MacManus posted:

Where should I start with Quicksilver Messenger Service?

Happy Trails is one of the greatest psychedelic rock albums of the '60s. It (mostly) captures the band in their natural element: live on stage. By most accounts the first half of the record, the "Who Do You Love" suite, is QMS at their best. I wouldn't necessarily take issue with that, but for me the real magic happens on side 2, with another Bo Diddley number, "Mona", segueing into a couple of beautifully spooky instrumentals ("Maiden of the Cancer Moon" and "Calvary"). Overall, the album is one of my favorite guitar duo records; John Cipollina is undeniably the star here, with his serpentine vibrato and acid-drenched effects, but Gary Duncan is stellar in a supporting role and even gets in a few good solo bits. It's not a perfect record. The last track is a throw-away. Some listeners will take issue with the length of the first side. If you can stomach a bit of dynamic jamming, though, it's certainly worth your attention.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks all for the Jazz suggestions. Ole Coltrane and Far East Suite especially hit the spot.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MonkeyOnFire posted:

Happy Trails is one of the greatest psychedelic rock albums of the '60s. It (mostly) captures the band in their natural element: live on stage. By most accounts the first half of the record, the "Who Do You Love" suite, is QMS at their best. I wouldn't necessarily take issue with that, but for me the real magic happens on side 2, with another Bo Diddley number, "Mona", segueing into a couple of beautifully spooky instrumentals ("Maiden of the Cancer Moon" and "Calvary"). Overall, the album is one of my favorite guitar duo records; John Cipollina is undeniably the star here, with his serpentine vibrato and acid-drenched effects, but Gary Duncan is stellar in a supporting role and even gets in a few good solo bits. It's not a perfect record. The last track is a throw-away. Some listeners will take issue with the length of the first side. If you can stomach a bit of dynamic jamming, though, it's certainly worth your attention.

It was pretty alright. Convinced me not to give up on them. I already like Television and (sometimes) the Grateful Dead so I was hoping there'd be some sort of link there. If nothing else I kind of get why people love John Cippolina so much

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
Where's a good place to start with Legowelt? There's a whole lot of stuff there, especially including Smackos, Phalangius etc, and it seems to be pretty diverse so it's hard to tell where to go from there.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
What is a good place to start with Tegan and Sara? I heard "Don't Find Another Love" while watching the film Endless Love and was blown away.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dennis4167 posted:

What is a good place to start with Tegan and Sara? I heard "Don't Find Another Love" while watching the film Endless Love and was blown away.
To me, So Jealous is like their magnum opus. The Con has some great songs too. But So Jealous is the one with the most songs you may have heard before.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
arctic monkeys?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

They've got five studio albums - start with the first (Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not) and go forward from there.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

They've got five studio albums - start with the first (Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not) and go forward from there.

Seconding this. Really just listen to all their albums in order of release.

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
Where do I start with Modest Mouse?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Their breakthrough album was Good News for People Who Love Bad News, and that's probably the best place to start. I'm not wild about their earlier stuff, but plenty of people seem to be, so maybe you'll like it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MmmDonuts posted:

As posted above, Good News for People Who Love Bad News.

If you want to sample Early Modest Mouse then check out Lonesome Crowded West, which is my favorite, and Moon And Antarctica which a lot of people put as their best album.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

MmmDonuts posted:

Depends what you like, really. They were a really good indie rock (in the 90s meaning of the term - great harsh guitar tone, playing with dynamics) band up until Moon & Antarctica. Really great songs about travelling on endless interstate roads, depression. Then they went Pink Floyd on M&A (long album, prog, existential themes) and then as others mentioned got a lot more radio-friendly since Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Old fans dropped completely at that point but the band got real popular.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Start at This is a Long Drive, if you don't like it keep going until you do, if you do like it keep going until you don't.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Their entire body of work from the mid-90s to early-2000s is solid gold. You really can't go wrong with albums like Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded West, Moon & Antarctica and Building Nothing Out Of Something. Don't start with Good News. That's the one with Float On and Ocean Breathes Salty (the 2 songs of theirs you're likely to have heard the most), but that's when their music started sounding not nearly as impressive as it used to. I still like Good News and We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank, but I don't think anyone's gonna argue against the position that they aren't quite as strong/diverse musically as their previous material.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

Start at This is a Long Drive, if you don't like it keep going until you do, if you do like it keep going until you don't.

This is the best advice. They don't really have a bad album, but start at the beginning to see how they evolve (there really aren't that many albums). When they started, their songs were sprawling and full of minute variations of the riffs. Each album, the songs get a little more concise, with the apex at The Moon & Antarctica. Then Good News, which still has a lot of great songs, is almost kind of poppy, based more around hooks than anything.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
Squarepusher ? I like some of his drum and bass stuff but is there an album with more ambient/mellow/softer stuff like Tommib?

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
Not much of an album like that. Goodnight Jade on Feed Me Weird Things is pretty close. Tommib Help Buss is a sort of successor. Most of the Iambic Poetry songs have a mellow, melodic feel but also have drumming (live not programmed)

I would recommend myloveilove by Bogdan Raczyznski. Mostly short vignettes that have varied instrumentation but provide a similar mood. Find his soundcloud and there is a playlist with the whole thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Where do I start with Erasure?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Where do I start with Erasure?

If you're looking to avoid the Great Hits/Singles collection route (honestly, you could do worse than Pop! The First 20 Hits as an entry point) then I would jump in at The Circus. Really, every LP starting with Wonderland to their '91 release Chorus has at least a couple timeless tracks that still get major play at whatever serves as an 80's/alternative night at your local Danceteria. However, The Circus is just one of those records that always puts a smile on my face regardless of weather or mood. You listen to this record and you hear everything that Clarke took from Depeche Mode after Speak and Spell and it absolutely works with Bell on vocals. After Chorus my interest in the LP's dwindles. To this day I have never heard I Say, I Say, I Say in full and "Always" is the worst single ever. Unless you're harboring a serious jones for Andy Bell or just want to geek out on Vince Clarke's lust for high end Korgs and Rolands you can probably just skim the recent output. However the aforementioned The Circus, The Innocents, Wild! (gently caress that country fried track though), and Chorus are probably worth hearing start to finish. Those guys could do no wrong in that era.

Bonus: Check out the Abba-Esque EP for the most ridiculously obvious evolution of Abba ever, although I think Information Society still has the better cover of "Lay All Your Love On Me."

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Where do I start with Nine Inch Nails? I've enjoyed much of Trent Reznor's work with How To Destroy Angels as well as his soundtracks with Atticus Ross, but for some reason I just haven't looked into NIN itself, which upon realizing this, makes me feel like a buffoon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Downward Spiral.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was going to jump in and alternately suggest Pretty Hate Machine, but, man, on reflection, that's really kind of 80s-fried style, only suitable for the oldest of old fogeys. I just feel old today I guess.

What about Failure? I heard one of their songs at karaoke last night, and I don't think I've ever heard them before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not a fogey at all and I like PHM. But The Downward Spiral is the definite way to go. Although, if you mostly know his soundtracks (I know nothing about How to Destroy Angels), you might want to look into his more recent discography too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, Downward Spiral is a good starting point. Or, honestly, you could go in chronological order starting with Broken (which has Wish and Gave Up, which are both still live staples for the band) and then just listen to the 2010 remaster of Pretty Hate Machine when you get that far in the order. There's a few songs from PHM that they still play live, including Head Like A Hole which was their first huge single, but the remaster sounds better.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

What about Failure? I heard one of their songs at karaoke last night, and I don't think I've ever heard them before.

Fantastic Planet is a stellar record and a great introduction to the band. Also, it's their last studio album. The only have two other LP's, so go check out Magnified if you absolutely can't get enough of them ("Frogs" is a really great track). They released a few compilations after they stopped, including a double disc thing where they second disc is all b-sides and outtakes.

I saw them in Houston earlier this year and it was sublime. They're back in the studio and will probably release new music soon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hatelull posted:

Fantastic Planet is a stellar record and a great introduction to the band. Also, it's their last studio album. The only have two other LP's, so go check out Magnified if you absolutely can't get enough of them ("Frogs" is a really great track). They released a few compilations after they stopped, including a double disc thing where they second disc is all b-sides and outtakes.

I saw them in Houston earlier this year and it was sublime. They're back in the studio and will probably release new music soon.

Welp, the song I heard last night (Stuck On You) is on Fantastic Planet, definitely going to have to score that and work on from there. Awesome.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Where do I start with Sleater-Kinney?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Thoogsby posted:

Where do I start with Sleater-Kinney?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675724

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Thanks, went with The Hot Rock.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Here are a few that I have no idea where to start, so any help would be apreciated:

The Supremes
Miles Davis: I'm guessing Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew?
Fugazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fugazi - I like 13 Songs, and then Repeater. I kinda think their entire discography builds off of those two records (well, two eps and a record) pushing it further and further in different directions up until the Argument.